PDA

View Full Version : Time limit for turns and/or phases

FashaTheDog
04-02-2010, 17:10
I have been looking at time limits per turn phase and for player turns as an option for Apocalypse so that the players need to plan first then act so that having a supreme commander is vital. This way players will be hard pressed to coordinate during the turn and will get a few minutes prior to the turn to be issued orders by a player without an army or with a small force who has the time to mull over the entire table(s) and can see to it the side fights cohesively. In a game where there are between 6-10 players each with somewhere between 2,000-3,000 points, how long would it be reasonable for a movement phase, shooting phase, and assault phase each? Alternatively, how long for a single player turn to be reasonable?

I am currently leaning towards 20 - 30 minutes a phase, although I might exclude the Assault phase from this. The team would get 5 minutes prior to the player turn to plan. If they use less than the allocated time for any phase, then they can bank up to 5 minutes for later use at any point to represent efficient command.

Thoughts, suggestions, improvements?

Omniassiah
04-02-2010, 17:47
Be honest let them decide. Give a very hard time for the overall turn and let each side deal with it in there own way. but I would never let it go much over an hour.

Eldoriath
04-02-2010, 18:28
I have thought about a similiar thing. I'd say give the team an amount of minutes equal to their total point value/100. Make it a formulae simply said, perhaps even make it based on the current point value on the table, rounded to 500p or something.

Eulenspiegel
04-02-2010, 19:06
Thoughts, suggestions, improvements?
Decide on a time limit, and every 1 minute over gives your opponent one re-roll to use in his following turn as he sees fit.

BaronDG
04-02-2010, 19:11
I would be more fair to base it on the number of models or at least add that to the equation.

Grax
04-02-2010, 19:16
I would give a strict time limit of 30 minutes for each player's turn, aside from the assault phase. That's 30 minutes to move and shoot, and if they run out of time, they immediately go to the assault phase.

The assault phase should always be completed fully, as otherwise some people might deliberately drag out their movement/shooting, to avoid an assault phase that will be harmful for them.

30 minutes is long enough for anyone to finish their movement and shooting.

Ozendorph
04-02-2010, 19:24
I would give a strict time limit of 30 minutes for each player's turn, aside from the assault phase. That's 30 minutes to move and shoot, and if they run out of time, they immediately go to the assault phase.

The assault phase should always be completed fully, as otherwise some people might deliberately drag out their movement/shooting, to avoid an assault phase that will be harmful for them.

30 minutes is long enough for anyone to finish their movement and shooting.

That's not a bad way of doing it. However, I wouldn't be so quick to say "30 minutes is long enough for anyone to finish their movement and shooting" without knowing at least how many points are being played. Then there's things like beer consumption levels to consider (this is Apocalypse, after all). Maybe just agree on a time limit before each game and stick to it.

EmperorEternalXIX
04-02-2010, 19:30

30 minutes is long enough for anyone to finish their movement and shooting. I am a fan of this technique, as it pretty much guarantees at least that turns will be completed in roughly an hour or less, while not screwing people out of a phase like a hard turn time limit does.

I personally have though of experimenting with PHASE time limits to help move a tournament along...

Nexus Trimean
04-02-2010, 20:19
In Apoc our rule is 15 minutes per phase. if you cant get it done in that time, then you dont get it done. We have a little timer that is set on some impassable terrain in the center.

Eos Rahh
05-02-2010, 00:10
I think a general set time limit would be a good idea. However. If one side or the other has a much higher model count they should be given a few more minutes. Playing an appoc game with a sea of orks or nids takes a bit longer do to alot more models being moved as well as alot more dice rolling.

FashaTheDog
05-02-2010, 00:42
It seems that 15 minute movement and shooting phases is the popular choice, but with the condition that allowance made for hordes. I was thinking 20 minutes might be too steep initially, perhaps I was wrong. I like the feedback on this.

kenshin
05-02-2010, 03:27
as a guard player, just moving pieces takes time.

FashaTheDog
05-02-2010, 03:32
This I know too well as my Ork army consists over well over 200 models in 1,850 while my Guard, however, only need a minute or two to move since I do love my tanks, hence the allowance for such armies. I will need to clock my movement phases with my Orks and my shooting with my Guard to get an idea for the exception, unless others here have already done it.

Axel
05-02-2010, 10:32
You just have to make sure that the shooting phase is not deliberately prolonged by the other side by taking slow armour saves (wound allocation gives you a good handle there to diddle away time).
Perhaps if you can organize a chess clock and deduct those from the other player next phase...

FashaTheDog
05-02-2010, 17:06
Something like that is not tolerated by my group generally. We may joke about such dumb things but intentionally doing it for an advantage goes against the club's attitude. As for a chess clock, it is a good idea, but with 3 to 5 players all going at once, it would be difficult at best.

Awilla the Hun
05-02-2010, 17:34
Not in Apocalypse, the game of massive armies, some of which contain hundreds of models, and numerous squads. Yes, people may complain about (say) Imperial Guard shooting phases, or Orky assault phases whilst they dash about with their expensive, Wave Serpent mounted Aspect Warriors. Mock them heavily. You depend on those massed guns/choppa blades to survive their highly elite rapier thrusts.

That said, flexibility when (say) dealing with Imperial Guard orders, or Eldar psychic powers (cast at the beginning of a turn, yes?) is probably a good idea.

MetalGecko23
05-02-2010, 18:17
What could help you and your fellow opponents is to creat some sort of spread sheet that keeps track of each players units. This way each phase of each turn you can check off which unit you have moved and which unit you have shot. This will save some extra time as you won't be trying to remember what has done what.
As a good sportsman you should be able to help your opponent move their units into place. This way they don't have to do laps around the board trying to get to each unit. Though if you don't trust yourself to do what your opponent wants and are afraid to move units into optimal postions even if you are going to get screwed by it then you should skip this.

If everyone is working together you should cut down phases significantly. Make 30mins more like a dead-line you need to meet but don't actually have to.

LonelyPath
05-02-2010, 19:20
We (that's myself and those I play large scale games with) allow for 30 minutes per turn,anything not done in that time is missed.