PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels

x2wyckedx
05-02-2010, 04:01
I just read what I could find on the new Blood Angels codex. Frankly I don't see there being much point in playing anything but the newest Space Marine codex they release. I thought Space Wolves was bad enough but from what I have seen Blood Angels will be absolutely ridiculous. How are other armies supposed to compete? Every few months a new Imperial Codex comes out that is obscene compared to the one before it.

Occulto
05-02-2010, 04:06
Take a deep breath, relax and wait til you've got the final book in your hands and you've seen them in action a few times.

Balragore
05-02-2010, 04:09
Personaly, I think the SM dex is utter garbage, and GW knows it. So now they're in damage control mode and pushing out alternatives to it to placate the masses (of which I am one, hypocricy rules).

I do agree that there are some xenos in need of love though (I'm lookin at you DE).

Tourniquet
05-02-2010, 04:15
Take a deep breath, relax and wait til you've got the final book in your hands and you've seen them in action a few times.

this, this and more of this.

Occulto
05-02-2010, 04:41
Personaly, I think the SM dex is utter garbage, and GW knows it. So now they're in damage control mode and pushing out alternatives to it to placate the masses (of which I am one, hypocricy rules).

Or they're updating an army that's had it's own dedicated list since 2nd ed - and is now being released just after Tyranids, coinciding with the rereleased Space Hulk that featured Tyranids and *gasp* Blood Angels. :rolleyes:

I do agree that there are some xenos in need of love though (I'm lookin at you DE).

I'm starting to wish that army got squatted, just so every thread about a new codex didn't have the same tired whinge that DE still haven't been updated. :angel:

Shortseer
05-02-2010, 04:49
not to sound like an ass or anything, but people always say this, and theyre always shown to be wrong. My friend that plays orks still stomps face most of the time, simply because he knows how to play. Nids, Wolves, IG, w/e. I play wolves, which everyone seemed to think would be crazy good, and ive got a solid 50/50 win loss.

Just chill out. see how it goes.

Balragore
05-02-2010, 04:51
Or they're updating an army that's had it's own dedicated list since 2nd ed - and is now being released just after Tyranids, coinciding with the rereleased Space Hulk that featured Tyranids and *gasp* Blood Angels.

*IF* that was the case, then explain why SW got released before both nids and BAs...

:rolleyes:

Occulto
05-02-2010, 05:27
*IF* that was the case, then explain why SW got released before both nids and BAs...

Probably the SW codex was one of the least useable books out there. Remember, it was originally designed to work with the 3rd ed SM codex. After DE, it was the oldest codex still kicking round in the game.

I'd argue that SW "deserved" an update before any of the other non-DE books. :eyebrows:

BA, on the other hand, had a downloadable codex that (while relatively light on the detail) is still up to date.

As for why Nids weren't done? Probably because it's such a big release - so better to wait until January, when the gamers still have their Xmas cash rattling round their pockets.

Balragore
05-02-2010, 05:37
Probably the SW codex was one of the least useable books out there. Remember, it was originally designed to work with the 3rd ed SM codex. After DE, it was the oldest codex still kicking round in the game.

I'd argue that SW "deserved" an update before any of the other non-DE books. :eyebrows:

BA, on the other hand, had a downloadable codex that (while relatively light on the detail) is still up to date.

As for why Nids weren't done? Probably because it's such a big release - so better to wait until January, when the gamers still have their Xmas cash rattling round their pockets.

BAs already had the PDF dex, DE still have the oldest dex, Tyranids should have come out for Christmass (who the hell ever heard of marketing a new product after holiday sales? Money left-over? That's a joke right?), and THEN SW should have come out.

Inquisitor Engel
05-02-2010, 05:43
The SM dex is one of the most competitive books around there if you don't go for one of the obvious power-gamer lists, all of which are very easy to counter (Gasp! It was thought out!)

Occulto
05-02-2010, 06:04
Tyranids should have come out for Christmass (who the hell ever heard of marketing a new product after holiday sales? Money left-over? That's a joke right?),

Let me guess. You've never worked (or had a girlfriend who worked) in retail. :p

I think you'll find retailers (gaming and otherwise) have their hands full enough with Xmas without trying to promote a new range of product. :eyebrows:

Balragore
05-02-2010, 06:07
The SM dex is one of the most competitive books around there if you don't go for one of the obvious power-gamer lists, all of which are very easy to counter (Gasp! It was thought out!)

Most competitive? No.
Just competitive? Yes.

Thought out? No.
Evidence?
*holds breathe as he opens the dex as to the smell of excriment and points at the troops section*
*while still holding his breathe also points out the disgustingly large elites section*

Balragore
05-02-2010, 06:10
Let me guess. You've never worked (or had a girlfriend who worked) in retail. :p

I think you'll find retailers (gaming and otherwise) have their hands full enough with Xmas without trying to promote a new range of product. :eyebrows:

Their hands are supposed to be full because that's when they're supposed to be pushing out their new products for our society's consumption/consumer feeding frenzy.

Occulto
05-02-2010, 06:16
Their hands are supposed to be full because that's when you're supposed to be pushing out their new products for our society's cosnumption/consumer feeding frenzy.

That's the one time of the year when they don't need new products to get people into their store.

Like I said, you've obviously never worked in retail. :rolleyes:

Trying to get a guy to buy a $25 steak after he just ate for an hour straight at a $17 buffet is not a smart business practice.

A better analogy would be: "you don't introduce a new menu designed to attract new customers, when your restaurant is already packed and you've had to employ more staff to cope with demand."

Balragore
05-02-2010, 06:40
That's the one time of the year when they don't need new products to get people into their store.

Like I said, you've obviously never worked in retail. :rolleyes:

Obviously neither do you, or your current/exgirlfriends.

It IS the one time of he yea that every person on the planet that celebrates Christmas (for whatever the reason) is going to go and blow 1~2 months of pay...

You seriously advocate waiting till after this spending spree to push your new product? I'll repeat myself, "That's a joke right?".
After Christmas everyone is too busy paying off bills, and praying whatever they can't pay off their tax returns (in the USA) will cover the rest.
No one, NO ONE says to themselves "Hey, I just got done blowing a month and a half's worth of pay on my entire family, time to go out and blow another $300 minimum for a new Tyranids army."

Occulto
05-02-2010, 06:58

I'll tell her that. I don't think Warseer's swear filters would allow me to post her response. :p

It IS the one time of he yea that every person on the planet that celebrates Christmas (for whatever the reason) is going to go and blow 1~2 months of pay...

Yup - and that's going to happen whether there's a new army in the shop or not. So why waste a new release (that's designed to spur demand) when the demand is already there?

You seriously advocate waiting till after this spending spree to push your new product? I'll repeat myself, "That's a joke right?".
After Christmas everyone is too busy paying off bills, and praying whatever they can't pay off their tax returns (in the USA) will cover the rest.
No one, NO ONE says to themselves "Hey, I just got done blowing a month and a half's worth of pay on my entire family, time to go out and blow another $300 minimum for a new Tyranids army."

I forgot, kids don't get money or gift vouchers for Xmas any more. They're too busy paying off their tax returns. :rolleyes:

Let me ask you a question. Why would a company as notoriously money hungry as GW not do what you're suggesting, if it was such a good idea?

Balragore
05-02-2010, 07:35
I'll tell her that. I don't think Warseer's swear filters would allow me to post her response. :p

Please do. Just because she finds it inconvenient to have to set-up/stock-up for Christmas, doesn't mean it's sudddenly unnecessary.

Yup - and that's going to happen whether there's a new army in the shop or not. So why waste a new release (that's designed to spur demand) when the demand is already there?

because you want as large of a piece ofthe aforementioned garuanteed spending spree as possible, not left-overs. The demand/desire is NOT there if the army/models aren't there. Yes, any new release spurs new interest/more sales, but doing so immediatly after the largest grossing holiday of the year is horribly misguided. I would have waited till April to coincide with tax returns...

*what a coincidence... isn't that when BAs get their new stuff?*

I forgot, kids don't get money or gift vouchers for Xmas any more. They're too busy paying off their tax returns. :rolleyes:

No, you forgot that not all children get flat out $ or 'gift vouchers to begin with.

Let me ask you a question. Why would a company as notoriously money hungry as GW not do what you're suggesting, if it was such a good idea?

That's a damn good question, and I'm sure whomever caused this has all the time in the world to explain it since he doesn't have any obligations like 'work' to deal with anymore.

grissom2006
05-02-2010, 07:54
GW's Christmas marketing for a good while now has been a no new releases for that period except for the odd boxed armies. Why because they get more than enough custom as is. The stores that i know beat their targets from the previous year for the same period year on year. Why make the job harder on themselves?? Shelf space and stockroom space is at a premium come Christmas. Next thing having been a member of their staff in the past when they did do new release in December come January we'd spend most of our time refunding and exchanging unwanted presents as the new army wasn't what was wanted as gift. See the logic now in why GW does it the way it does it now?? What would you prefer as a business making sales or spending your time filing out paperwork and correcting a sale?

The BA Codex is most likely going to be no where near as bad as the rumours make out and for it's rules. The SW Codex got so over played up in the rumour mill that it was stupid. Wait for the release of it as already mentioned.

Jackmojo
05-02-2010, 08:59
Mostly you want to get things out the door well before Christmas shopping starts in earnest, hence all the releases of new and interesting things in October and November, and then almost nothing actually gets released in December.

This is pretty basic for all retail goods. The "new" holiday release for GW was Space Wolves. Just cause we were all over and done with it by the holiday has nothing to do with it.

jack

Tymell
05-02-2010, 09:08

Exactly. This happens every time we get a new codex: there's always a thread immediately after any rumours come out complaining about how the new army will clearly be ridiculously over/under powered, X unit has been rendered utterly worthless/total cheese and GW has forced everyone to shelf their armies.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to invalidate every complaint or opinion, it's just that it happens so much it's reached the point of unintentional self-parody. I can't take the threads seriously.

Voicing some concerns is one thing, but as Occulto says let's wait until we've actually seen it in game before jumping to conclusions.

shabbadoo
05-02-2010, 09:13
...Tyranids should have come out for Christmass (who the hell ever heard of marketing a new product after holiday sales? Money left-over? That's a joke right?)...

Now, see, you are thinking about it all wrong. Who does GW market mainly towards? Kids. Who receives money or gift cards as gifts for the holidays? Kids. Make sense? I call it the "Grandma Money Effect". Having worked in a shop that sells GW for a number of years, I can verify that it is a real thing. Nearly as much is sold after the holidays as before. Retail sales generally start to slow in late March/early April for most businesses.

Also, imho, the SM codex is a great improvement over the previous two versions.

pookie
05-02-2010, 11:56

very sweeping statement there, some of us spent less than 20% of a singles month wage in December, because we know how to plan/budget.

out of curisoity how long have you been in this hobby for?

Souleater
05-02-2010, 12:37

Sigg'ed.

Anybody remember the months before the first Tau book? That whacky rumour about S10, 72" weapon that didn't need an LOS?