PDA

View Full Version : What became of those supposed Demiurg pictures?

launo
05-02-2010, 09:45
There were pictures of some sort of squat miniatures, with guns, on sprues. People had mentioned them as the possible contents of the mystery box or miniatures for a future dark heresy board game. Was there any explanation or manufacturer for those ever discovered?

Petay1985
05-02-2010, 11:17
Are you refering to the ones pictured a while back on the GW website in the 'whats new today' section? amongst some photos of the design team's work spaces?

They were in the background right?

tezza21
05-02-2010, 11:39
Gw suck for not releasing the demiurg

grissom2006
05-02-2010, 11:52
If he's referring to the picture that formed much debate on here sometime ago then the general feeling was they wasn't GW Sculpts. If it was the other picture that was shown on the GW painting desk then they got proven to be something else entirely.

scarletsquig
05-02-2010, 12:38
Nope, not the GW desk one.. it was a games day pic showing squats on a sprue.

Petay1985
05-02-2010, 12:49
Nope, not the GW desk one.. it was a games day pic showing squats on a sprue.

Interesting, ou can lay your hands on the image and post it here? or direct us to it?

Doppleskanger
05-02-2010, 13:22
Oh gosh....that was in one of the 'Mystery box' discussions where there were some possible demiurg sculpts and random Dark Heresy cards lying about. And then someone fairly well known and reliable went and made an enigmatic comment along the lines of "if only I could tell you what this means..."
And that, as far as I'm aware, was that!

Helicon_One
05-02-2010, 14:21
Gw suck for not releasing the demiurg

The demiurg are a gimmick race with nothing to justify an on-table presence except the hope that it might shut up the Squat whiners.

Revlid
05-02-2010, 15:54
The demiurg are a gimmick race with nothing to justify an on-table presence except the hope that it might shut up the Squat whiners.

Aside from the opportunity to introduce a new aesthetic and playing style into the game? Given that all we currently know about them is that they're a nomadic mining race with advanced technology and powerful AIs, I don't see how you can dismiss them, or any other race, out of hand as not having any potential.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3861984&highlight=demiurg#post3861984

pookie
05-02-2010, 16:28

or a way of shutting up the Squat haters? :D

Vepr
05-02-2010, 16:56
I want them to release a few so I can use them as a Tyranid delicacy objective.

Hrw-Amen
05-02-2010, 20:37
To just dismiss a race due to lack of background is a bit harsh. After all it was not that long ago that none of the races had any background. It all had to be made up at some point. So there is noreason they could not do so now if the will and resource was available.

Afterall, what do you suppose London toyshop owners said when Victorian parents turned up in the shops demanding a squad of tactical space marines for a Christmas Present for little Harold/Bill/Maud/ or whoever?

Lord of Worms
06-02-2010, 03:50
The demiurg are a gimmick race with nothing to justify an on-table presence ...

I and many others said the same thing when they came out with the Tau.

Inquisitor Engel
06-02-2010, 04:06
To just dismiss a race due to lack of background is a bit harsh. After all it was not that long ago that none of the races had any background. It all had to be made up at some point.

Ehhh that's stretching it. The Necrons are the most recent truly NEW race. (The race that we know now have almost nothing to do with the 2nd Edition metals, other than the model names and tomb worlds) The Tau were UTTERLY out of left field before that and the Dark Eldar before that. Everything else has pretty much existed in some form or another since RT.

Shipmonkey
06-02-2010, 04:38
Have Squat supporters noticed that in the new 'nid book Squats and Demiurge are referenced as two seperate races?

Mannimarco
06-02-2010, 10:04
because they are, the demiurg are an alien race from way out on thre easter fringes, theyre an ally of the tau

the squats were an abhuman race from nearer the centre

Spider-pope
06-02-2010, 10:21
Afterall, what do you suppose London toyshop owners said when Victorian parents turned up in the shops demanding a squad of tactical space marines for a Christmas Present for little Harold/Bill/Maud/ or whoever?

Come back in 86 years?

Have Squat supporters noticed that in the new 'nid book Squats and Demiurge are referenced as two seperate races?

I dont think Demiurge were ever intended to be a literal replacement for the Squats, so its not too surprising they are referenced as two seperate races.

As i said eons ago in the massive Squat thread thats lurking around Warseer somewhere, any new race should be included on its own merits because it has something different to add to the game. Adding the Demiurge just because they look a bit like squats isnt a good enough reason, so if GW haven't come up with a way to make them distinct then im glad they have not been added yet.

Helicon_One
06-02-2010, 11:09
Given that all we currently know about them is that they're a nomadic mining race with advanced technology and powerful AIs, I don't see how you can dismiss them, or any other race, out of hand as not having any potential.

Read Jervis Johnson's old 'why we killed the squats' post if you can find it, he's pretty much explicit on the way that the Demiurg were written into the background as essentially a placeholder for 'Space Dwarves 2.0', rather than because there was anything cool or innovative about the race in their own right. Short stature, miners, traders, hate Orks, invent powerful unknown weapon systems that get handed on to other races, live in 'Strongholds'.... everything we know about them reads like a nudge and a wink between the developers and the Rogue Trader vets, rather than a genuinely viable concept to base a race around (let alone shelf space in every Games Workshop store, and the design team work to produce background and army lists and models for).

Xgladar
06-02-2010, 17:20
the squats and the demiurg are both just dwarves in space, the less 40k is like fantasy,the better IMO.

as if orks and eldar werent enough...

Murdoch
06-02-2010, 17:41

Or undead :skull:

Or ogres :rolleyes:

Or Dark elves :mad:

Or Daemons :wtf:

Cripes the only 'pure' 40k armies are marines, Tau and 'nids.

The system is missing the inventive/engineer race. It is either the dwarven archetype or Ad Mech... Or preferably both.

Grimbad
06-02-2010, 17:56
the squats and the demiurg are both just dwarves in space, the less 40k is like fantasy,the better IMO.

This forum needs an emoticon for banging one's head against the wall.
The more 40k is different from mainstream sci-fi, the better. I'd rather not have 40k be 'just another testosterone-and-chainsaws scifi setting.' The fantasy and medieval elements are the only thing keeping 40k from being incredibly boring. I like my color schemes heraldic, my armies fantastic, and my fluff weird.

On topic, I think the OP is referring to the pictures that came out during the 'mystery box' thing, with some weird things with some blurry sprues in the background. Looked a bit high-tech to be squats to me, but whatever. I suppose it would fit demiurg, as tau allies, to be high tech. There was also some Dark Heresy stuff on the desk in the photo.

Helicon_One
06-02-2010, 19:34
This forum needs an emoticon for banging one's head against the wall.
The more 40k is different from mainstream sci-fi, the better. I'd rather not have 40k be 'just another testosterone-and-chainsaws scifi setting.' The fantasy and medieval elements are the only thing keeping 40k from being incredibly boring. I like my color schemes heraldic, my armies fantastic, and my fluff weird.

There's a difference between retaining 'fantasy and medieval elements', and copy-pasting races wholesale from WHFB and giving them guns.

scarletsquig
06-02-2010, 20:12
I dunno, the eldar are very distinct from elves, they have more in common with samurai than fantasy elves. The background is unique enough for my tastes.

Sir_Turalyon
06-02-2010, 21:09

And Knightly Orders. Don't forget marines Knightly Orders in space. If these fantasy elements were removed banzilions of Imperial Guardsmen would be free to stomp the Tau into thin paste then fight with Tyranids for all eternity. And rename the game Starship Troopers 40k.

Cheesecat
06-02-2010, 22:47

Cripes the only 'pure' 40k armies are marines, Tau and 'nids.

The system is missing the inventive/engineer race. It is either the dwarven archetype or Ad Mech... Or preferably both.

You forgot the imperial guard being basically "the Empire" in space.;)

Captbigbeard
03-04-2010, 13:43
The OP is talking about this...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tjkQUZ9f9gk/SoLJi76j84I/AAAAAAAABbc/4KS8FHR0uKo/s1600/Demirug.jpg

Right?

So I take it no word then huh? Good, keeps my unjustified hopes up ;)

tezdal
03-04-2010, 17:20
LOL Complaining about space dwarves in a universe of Space Vampires/Batmans/WOLVES/Elves/orcs/toads/knights etc... its kind of ironic.

Mannimarco
03-04-2010, 17:26
The OP is talking about this...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tjkQUZ9f9gk/SoLJi76j84I/AAAAAAAABbc/4KS8FHR0uKo/s1600/Demirug.jpg

Right?

So I take it no word then huh? Good, keeps my unjustified hopes up ;)

I remember those, wasnt there a thread over in rumour discusion all about this?

sombody did somthing on their computer to show the one on the sprue and the sprue itself were different colours so was a well done fake?

DeadlySquirrel
03-04-2010, 17:46
im sorry, but the pic is so incredibly fake =p

all i know is that they were a peice of concept art that just got put in the background to satisy people's needs for space dwarves