PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Golums

Mjameshayter
05-02-2010, 15:38
I orginally posted this on another thread but really want to get all the ideas I can on this concept before atempting the build.

I was talking to a friend in games workshop the other day and we came up with the idea of dwarven stone golums. Most other fantasy realms other than GW dwarfs have acess to such constructs.

This would give the army some speed and the ability to capture objectives more easily. We've talked over weather they should just be animated by ruins or magic or weather venerated dwarven souls should be bound into them much like 40k dreadnoughts.

We got on to talking about how they could be in a army list and also how to build them.

For taking them in an army we decided on allying orge ironguts as the dwarfs still have acess to dogs of war, but when chewing over how to make them we decided that the dwarven kings wall from the battle of skull pass has three stoney dwarven heads that would suit a construst right out the forges but we couldn't think of what you could use for the torsos without major greenstuffing.

Any ideas?

Midevil216
05-02-2010, 15:49
If any Dwarfs are to have golems it should be the Chaos Dwarfs.
So my answere to your poll would be NO.

Malorian
05-02-2010, 15:51
Poll is closed :(

Personally I don't think they meet the theme.

Something like the new skaven doom flayer seems to be more dwarfy (and interestingly the skaven fluff says it originally came from a dwarf gyrocopter).

Condottiere
05-02-2010, 15:53
In my view, Golems don't fit the Warhammer Dwarven theme.

Mjameshayter
05-02-2010, 16:12
Yeah dont know want I did wrong with the poll, oh well not the end of the world.

Even if you dont think they would fit the theme of the army any one got any ideas on building or converting them. Given the green stuff i could easliy sculpt afew modles but id prefer an easyer option.

Thanks

Malorian
05-02-2010, 16:15
I'm certain that other model makers produce golum models. Probably easiest to go with that.

Cirus
05-02-2010, 16:16
As far as Dwarven Dreadnought is concerned, there are these:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/158107

For Stone Golems, the cheapest/simplest way would be to build the golems out of cork chunks or slate/rocks pinned and glue together to the shape of the Galaxy Guest Rock Monster. Stone golems are not hard to build.

I must admit that Chaos Dwarfs are more likely to have stone golems animated by magic or infused with veteran souls. There is a slim chance of fluff backing for animated stone golems in Dwarven force lead by Alaric the Mad.

Remember, at the end of the day, it's your army, as long as your opponents are OK with it, have some fun.

Griefbringer
05-02-2010, 16:53
I'm certain that other model makers produce golum models.

There is also a Gollum model in the LotR range. Would that be close enough? :evilgrin:

Lord Malorne
05-02-2010, 17:05
I think Dwarves do need a mechanical unit, maybe not golems though.

Gromdal
05-02-2010, 17:31
No golems for dwarfs, its undwarflike

Mjameshayter
05-02-2010, 17:49
Heres some quick mock up concepts, These display what i would like them to look like and the ideas for citadel heads.

Let me know what you think, improvements or otherwise.

Gromdal
05-02-2010, 17:57
Heres some quick mock up concepts, These display what i would like them to look like and the ideas for citadel heads.

Let me know what you think, improvements or otherwise.

They look like the golems from world of warcraft used by the evil dwarfs...

I agree with the others that war golems fit the chaos dwarfs better (but not good)

Mjameshayter
05-02-2010, 17:59
Yeah i used the world of warcraft model viewer to give me something to work with.

I may just have to become a chaos dwarf player then lol

Bran Dawri
05-02-2010, 18:51
Golems are an OK fit for dwarfs. I personally lean more towards elementals (especially of the fire and earth variety) as appropriate allies/bound monster type thingy for regular dwarfs.

Hannimar
05-02-2010, 19:07
Does not fit into fluff... cannot listen... stop it or go play Warcraft if you don't like the world of Warhammer ;)

If a dwarf saw a golem he would put a hammer into its head.

2theDeath
05-02-2010, 20:28
Reaper miniatures do Dwarfs on bears if your after something to speed them up...
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dwarf/sku-down/02385
A little on the expensive side mind.

I'm not sure about the Golem idea, however I did read a thread where someone mentioned a clockwork dragon... Now that would be a nice addition to my army of bad ass beer swilling knuckle draggers!!

Desert Rain
05-02-2010, 20:34
In my opinion golems doesn't fit in the lore of warhammer dwarves.

gwarsh41
05-02-2010, 20:40
I would have to say no. IF they were, it would most likely have the creator banished form the engineering guild and forced to become a slayer... maybe thats what happened to malakai?

xragg
05-02-2010, 20:46
Traditionally, golems are magically infused which is not what warhammer dwarves are known for (unless you want to stretch and use runes). Anyway, stone golems are easy to make. Any model can be made to look like a statue with a gray prime, dark gray wash, and various layers of grays and light greens to suit your taste. Plastic models can look to be made of metallic plates by scoring flatter areas with a sharp knife in a grid-like pattern and painting them metallic. Obviously models with little hair, fur, or dramatic clothing would work best.

zeebie
05-02-2010, 21:51
I don't see why they don't fit the fluff?, the more I read on the warhammer dwarfs the more I think they are perfect for them. Warhammer dwarfs are the master of infusing magic into inanimate objects they create the best magical weapons, they have anvils that can cause the earth to skake or weapons that decide to catch on fire. I don't see it as a big step for some runesmith to create a rune binding stone or metal to his will.

Condottiere
05-02-2010, 22:05
But those magic infusion tend to improve on performance, not cause it.

Hannimar
05-02-2010, 22:59
I don't see why they don't fit the fluff?

Let's be sceptic for a while:

- Please give me an example of a Golem created by non-chaotic Dawi.

No example = doesn't fit in the fluff.
It's not a slight change, it would be a huge change in the lore, and personally I see it as a terrible one. Such things are really what seperates Warhammer from less demanding 'worlds' like Warcraft. This is dark fantasy, and I want my dwarfs holding a solid shieldwall made of dwarfs, not automatons. However, as GW lowers the average age of their gamers each year, we may soon see Dwarf Golems, Wood Elf Fairies and High Elf rainbow-unicorn cavalry. Heroes of Might and Magic anyone? :shifty:

Lord Malorne
05-02-2010, 23:00
They don't cause it, they tend to improve it.

zeebie
06-02-2010, 00:45

It's not a slight change, it would be a huge change in the lore, and personally I see it as a terrible one. Such things are really what seperates Warhammer from less demanding 'worlds' like Warcraft. :

so your saying if it wasn't been written about it's not possible?, if so that's like saying every invention, every aspect, all great hero's and battles of the dwarf have already been written, therefore dwarfs shall never get anything new. if the dwarfs like to do everything themselfs, why did they invent machines like steam tractors, or steam drills?

tezdal
06-02-2010, 01:09
Can we have a little dwarven rabbi to create said gollum?

Mjameshayter
06-02-2010, 02:04
Although Iím bias towards dwarfs getting golums I really donít see it as a bad idea, games workshop have to come up with new unit entries every so often otherwise each new book is just the same old. The new beastmen book for example, quite a few new units.

Also I enjoy lightening warhammer up; itís got to dark recently. I donít want realism in my form of escaping real life lol. Oh the good 'ol days of goblin green bases :D

I donít think itís that far out of touch for a realm that has letís face it been made up for a ruinsmith somewhere to have bound something into stone, his force could be running out of dwarfs for example or itís a long forgotten art form lost in the deep roads. The fluff could cover it numerous different ways. That the point of a fantasy realm, they can change the history because it never excised :shifty:

Also just to clear my name, Iím not a big wow player. Once a week if that. I just used the image because itís really the first I came across ;)

Stronginthearm
06-02-2010, 02:32

It's not a slight change, it would be a huge change in the lore, and personally I see it as a terrible one. Such things are really what seperates Warhammer from less demanding 'worlds' like Warcraft. This is dark fantasy, and I want my dwarfs holding a solid shieldwall made of dwarfs, not automatons. However, as GW lowers the average age of their gamers each year, we may soon see Dwarf Golems, Wood Elf Fairies and High Elf rainbow-unicorn cavalry. Heroes of Might and Magic anyone? :shifty:

The empire gets steampunk and beasties, the HE get dragons and crazy magic, the Wood elves get trees and dryads, even the bretonnians get a ward save for praying to some wierd waterbound fairy, are dwarves the only ones who need to be totally ********** for fantasy to be dark, they can have allies those allies jsut need to be few and far between

Btw the creatures you described sound more like "Age of Wonders" then heroes of might and magic, M&M has jumped around so much over the last few games that you can hardly classify it as anything other then turn based strategy

Dwarf players are looking for something that will give them an edge against armies that seem to be brimming with both latest tech and monsters, golems enchanted with runes to wake up the stone sound as fluufy as anything I;ve heard so far, admitadly it does ring of DnD Earth elementals but its better then the steampunk that seems to be the only other direction available to the beloved stunties

GodSlayer
06-02-2010, 02:41
Oh come on...
You're comming up with a army that's called 'Skavens'...
Technological, risk-taking, constructions...

I'd prefer more options on runes so that what's existing would be made stronger. WHF dwarfs (for me at least) should be the most upgradable units of the world.
I like my Gyro, as much as my cannons, but that should be all. Dwarven psychology is 'Why do a machine that does what we can do?'

By the way golems already exists: the Tomb Kings have it...

tezdal
06-02-2010, 03:21
Meh, they need to just bring Chaos dwarves back, then all the steampunk wow kiddies will have something to play with.

TheWarSmith
06-02-2010, 03:35
Can we have a little dwarven rabbi to create said gollum?

YES!!! I was waiting for somebody to say it!!

And I have the perfect inspiration for it.

http://triptronix.net/ishbadiddle/images/JewishThing.jpg

But in all seriousness, I think they'd be fine. They'd basically be ogre sized, with a really good save, but maybe only M5.

Skullking
06-02-2010, 03:56
I would have no problem with Gollums for Reg. Dwarves, but I can also see why other people don't think it fits with the fluff.

Chaos dwarves would be more apt to do something like this, especially since they actually can turn to stone. But I can't say I've ever seen an example of them doing it either.

For the Reg. dwarves I could see them creating some sort of large rock armor which uses runes to bind it to a dwarf's body, or other armor he has. Making him large and uber tough.

I still think that reg dwarves need more animals in their armies, at least bears, or large oxen, but I don't think that fits the fluff either. Dwarfs are very distrustful of anything that isn't another dwarf, or just a stone, or metal (which is why those are the only few things that you can mount in a dwarf list). I say, go make your golems, stick those stone dwarf heads on stone troll bodies, or as you thought just convert some ogres a bit. If they're going to be ogres anyway, then why not? My gyrocopter is a dwarf riding a griffon, and my anvil of doom sits on a massive FW rhinox, that's the fun of converting.

snurl
06-02-2010, 04:43
Sounds like a better fit for the Chaos Dwarves to me.

Crooky
06-02-2010, 05:40
Sounds like someone has been playing some Dragon Age: Origins.

Flash Felix
06-02-2010, 08:00
It depends on what you mean by 'golem'.

If it's a physical construction imbued with the magical essence of a creature from another dimension, such as an elemental or a daemon, then of course Dwarves won't have them.

But if you're talking about a machine that's powered by steam engines and runes, with a Dwarf pilot/driver/operator on the inside, yanking on levers to smash Orcs by the dozen, then hell yes!

As for them not fitting with the fluff, remember that Khorne and Slaanesh used to be diametrically opposed forces of raw emotion; their enmity was so deep and fundamental that calling it hatred was barely scratching the surface. And now they're good mates, or at least allies in the greater cause of chaos.

As GW have proven, fluff can and will be amended if it helps move product. And I'd happily buy a couple of Dwarf 'golem/dreadnought' war machines....

Condottiere
06-02-2010, 09:53
Can we have a little dwarven rabbi to create said gollum?Oy.

Maybe they would have been brave enough to do that twenty years ago.

2theDeath
06-02-2010, 09:57
Whilst I agree with Flash Felix, Dwarfs don't trust anything they can't bash into shape. I also agree with Skullking... Convert what you like it's your army, your fluff, if you like it then do it.

Might I add that this thread got me looking for some more idea's. I've never really liked the Gyro copter, it just doesn't "work" in my head it would be too heavy & cumbersome & doesn't please me aesthetically. However I like the look of these & it wouldn't be too hard to convert.
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/media/images/newsletters/05_2008/DwarfMount_t1.jpg

I might have a small Helli-Bourne skirmish unit... Dunno yet.

innerwolf
06-02-2010, 10:02
This thread dissapointed me. With that title, I expected pale, twisted dwarfs mumbling about their treasure XD

Bran Dawri
06-02-2010, 10:04
Although Iím bias towards dwarfs getting golums I really donít see it as a bad idea, games workshop have to come up with new unit entries every so often otherwise each new book is just the same old.

You mean, much like all "new" dwarf books for the past 20-odd years?

Condottiere
06-02-2010, 10:05
Is that a squirrel Devastator? Actually, it's an interesting concept, but it's hard not to smile with that viking get up and most Dwarves would like to be taken seriously, even when drunk.

The Red Scourge
06-02-2010, 10:11
I think they would be great. GW is getting too politically correct, and dwarves have in all fantasy lit - GWs included - been portrayed as the classic real world jew archetype old, wise and stingy. While high elves usually are these arrogant, master race, fascist types - and for some reason the two races never seem to get along :D

KayazyAssassin
06-02-2010, 10:23
i like the idea of golums,dreadnaughts.
but since so many people have a problem with it what about a zepplin with cannons,mortars,and handgunners maybe with the ability to drop bombs

Lewis
06-02-2010, 10:38
Some points to consider.

The idea of runes embuing things with power isn't so far off the Kafka related golem story with the words on the forehead.

However I do agree with the earlier point that runes enhance rather embue with complicated additional powers.

Dwarves are not steampunk in warhammer. Empire has mechanical horses dwarves do not. There is still a debate in dwarf society as to whether crossbows or handguns are better.

The new chaos dwarf book has golem style creatures in it: as befits their tiny numbers, I would argue that the feel of the dwarves is that everything resides in their dwindling numbers and they haven't come up with machine style solution yet, nor will their hidebound nature allow them to.

In summary I think that blatant dwrf magic or truly crazy tinkerer style inventions don't fit with the fluff of dwarves in Warhammer and it is just a bit WoW.

They do need something to give them more of an edge, its just not giant magic robots.

Condottiere
06-02-2010, 10:39
It depends on what you mean by 'golem'.

If it's a physical construction imbued with the magical essence of a creature from another dimension, such as an elemental or a daemon, then of course Dwarves won't have them.

But if you're talking about a machine that's powered by steam engines and runes, with a Dwarf pilot/driver/operator on the inside, yanking on levers to smash Orcs by the dozen, then hell yes!

As for them not fitting with the fluff, remember that Khorne and Slaanesh used to be diametrically opposed forces of raw emotion; their enmity was so deep and fundamental that calling it hatred was barely scratching the surface. And now they're good mates, or at least allies in the greater cause of chaos.

As GW have proven, fluff can and will be amended if it helps move product. And I'd happily buy a couple of Dwarf 'golem/dreadnought' war machines....Once they're mechanical with operators, they no longer are golems.

Perhaps what is required is an adaption of the Ripley's heavy lifter in Aliens.

Papawolf
06-02-2010, 11:43
they would probably be seen as too untrustworthy and dangerous

Lord Malorne
06-02-2010, 12:13
:eyebrows: Sure, I bet the thane is well scared his rune axe will steal his pouch of gold :eek:.

Mjameshayter
06-02-2010, 18:22
Sounds like someone has been playing some Dragon Age: Origins.

I have to admit i've been playing that alot recently, far more than wow. The two games did give me the inperation for developing the idea into a modle.

You mean, much like all "new" dwarf books for the past 20-odd years?

And this is the underlining problem, dwarfs do need something new and every time GW come up with an idea that is similar to anything else all the fan boys or jaded vets jump up and down that the hobby/army is going down hill.
Dose any one else see the irony in that there is a standard fantasy setting and anything or anyone trying to adapt that is viewed with cynasism.
If games workshop or indeed anyone had to come up with something never before seen for an army book we'll be waiting a hell of a long time.

Btw thanks for comments.

Olja
06-02-2010, 19:01
Golums fit Dwarves well. Gyrocopters are dangerous and they use them. I play a Dwarf army and that faction could really use some new ideas.

Lewis
06-02-2010, 19:06
Dwarves need something to help counter their lack of manouverability in games terms. I don't know if thats giant stone robots.

Yes GW is derrivitive, but it doesn't tend to be derrivitive from computer games.

wizbix
06-02-2010, 20:55
All the dwarf's need is for GW to provide them with a larger book of grudges so they can add in every one who comes up with an insane and un-dwarf like idea on Warseer! :D

I kind of liked the Golums in WoW but the Warhammer world is a lot better and id prefer WoW to stay as WoW and Warhammer to stay as Warhammer.

wizbix
07-02-2010, 00:04
i like the idea of golums,dreadnaughts.
but since so many people have a problem with it what about a zepplin with cannons,mortars,and handgunners maybe with the ability to drop bombs

I dont even think dear old Malakai would be daft enough to have a zeppelin with a mortar on it.

Condottiere
07-02-2010, 00:29
A 105mm howitzer might work.

TheWarSmith
07-02-2010, 06:26
Ok, can it be made VERY clear that "GOLUM" is NOT a word. It's spelled "GOLEM".

tezdal
07-02-2010, 07:23
but Golum wants his precious golem

Condottiere
07-02-2010, 08:52
I doubt that he can lift one, though he may develop a case of Agalmatophilia.

Sand
07-02-2010, 14:04
Dose any one else see the irony in that there is a standard fantasy setting and anything or anyone trying to adapt that is viewed with cynasism. I'm sorry, but I don't think ironic or cynical are in any way applicable terms in this instance ;)

Ok, can it be made VERY clear that "GOLUM" is NOT a word. It's spelled "GOLEM".Yes, that too.

With the nitpicking out of the way, I don't really like the idea myself. The dwarfs aren't supposed to be madcap inventors/magical tinkerers as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, they do have the gyrocopter and the steam drill, so it's not like it's unheard of. The anvil is a magical war engine too, when you think about it. Perhaps it's no coincidence that these are probably the three things/units I dislike the most about the current dwarf army.

Apart from those, the Dwarf army has evolved in a much more "all armor and axes all the time" direction, which is not necessarily all that great either. I liked that Thunderers and Quarrelers used to be decked out in soft hats and much more "regular" clothing than the heavily armored warriors (especially as they are supposed to wear light armor).

Personally, I think Dwarves need a boost to their close combat to be able to compete with all the newer elite infantry with multiple attacks and special rules, but that's about it. I'd like the dwarf army to be an infantrybased army with good shooting. I'd also really like to not have to depend on the anvil and the gyrocopter, as I find them silly.
I'd also like a pony.

Mjameshayter
07-02-2010, 21:07
[QUOTE=Sand;4372549]I'm sorry, but I don't think ironic or cynical are in any way applicable terms in this instance ;)

Explain

Sand
08-02-2010, 09:19
Explain
It's just that I think cynicism and irony means something else. Cynicism is basically believing the worst of people's intentions (slightly more complicated, but you get the drift).
Irony is, to quote Bender, "The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention." -in most cases the opposite of the intention. It's applicable to situations as well, of course, but I don't really see it in this case.

I can see that I might be coming off as something of a jerk, though. If so I'm sorry, because that's honestly not my intention. It's not intended as a clever put-down or anything like that. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine :)

zeebie
08-02-2010, 10:37
cyincal was applicable in this situation as it can be used to describe people who have a pesimistic view on something. Alot of people have a cyincal/pessimistic view when it comes to changing dwarf. It seems everything is undwarf, or not possible. if it was upto most people Dwarf army would have just warriors

Sand
08-02-2010, 10:48
cyincal was applicable in this situation as it can be used to describe people who have a pesimistic view on something. Alot of people have a cyincal/pessimistic view when it comes to changing dwarf. It seems everything is undwarf, or not possible. if it was upto most people Dwarf army would have just warriorsI don't think cynical and pessimistic is the same thing. I'm not all that up to speed on language drift, however, so it's possible.

In any case, it probably bears repeating that I didn't mean to be a jerk, so I hope it doesn't seem like that :)

Condottiere
08-02-2010, 11:54
You can be skeptical, without being pessimistic; you can be optimistic, without being idealistic; cynics tend to make judgements based on past expeiriences.

Enigmatik1
08-02-2010, 16:04
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the OP has been spending too much time playing Dragon Age lately...:D

Mjameshayter
08-02-2010, 17:58
Thanks to all on this thread. Thanks to all who gave me ideas on how i could build these and to all those whos outlook is fantasy is made up for a reason.

But i see that my fellow dwarven generals are only content with thier warriors and at the risk of typing any more spelling and punctuation. Dwarfs who would sooner shave their beard than use anything more interesting than a cannon, or maybe gunpowder is to untrustworthy. :shifty:

Times change. if all other armies are trying out new ideas, creatures and tech then dwarven players need to stop being so stuborn other wise we be left behind. :(

wizbix
08-02-2010, 18:46
Times change. if all other armies are trying out new ideas, creatures and tech then dwarven players need to stop being so stuborn other wise we be left behind. :(

But then thats the whole point of the Dwarf race is it not? ;)

Hannimar
08-02-2010, 22:06
Dwarfs who would sooner shave their beard than use anything more interesting than a cannon, or maybe gunpowder is to untrustworthy. :shifty:

Just don't forget to leave the keys to the hold to the Gatekeeper when you leave for Azeroth young one! ... <grumble, grumble> the lad is mad, such a disgrace for the clan <grumble grumble> :D

shadowskale
08-02-2010, 22:17
In dragon age origins dwarfs build golems with "the Anvil of the void" and indeed a lot of other stories tell of dwarfs building an army of golems. so anyone who says otherwise really needs to check there facts about dwarfs.

http://www.dragonageguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/golem.jpg
thats a picture of a dragon age golem, maybe you can get some ideas from that ?

Hannimar
08-02-2010, 22:32
In dragon age origins dwarfs build golems with "the Anvil of the void" and indeed a lot of other stories tell of dwarfs building an army of golems. so anyone who says otherwise really needs to check there facts about dwarfs.

And? This is not Dragon Age. This is not Warcraft. This is not Lotr.
Dwarfs are different in each system.

Show me a golem in warhammer, built by the dwarfs and we may talk.
For now I will use the famous Chewbacca Defense:
-Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

and the same is with Dwarven built golems in warhammer. It does not make sense.

Brotheroracle
08-02-2010, 23:25
Well there was that article when OK came out featuring a conversions of Dwarf Dreadnaughts to stand in as ogres.

Havock
09-02-2010, 01:46
In my view, Golems don't fit the Warhammer Dwarven theme.

I'd aprove as long as they have hatred: Flying models.
And Eternal Hatred + fear check for the changer of ways.

The birds! The birds!

Condottiere
09-02-2010, 06:50
Hitchcock was short, fat and ugly, but unbeardy.

Sand
09-02-2010, 10:44
My facts check about Dwarfs tell me this: they are fictional creatures based on mythological roots.

As such, anything goes. Yes, there could be dwarven golems tomorrow, if GW decided there would be. Likewise, they could be pink, if GW decided they would be.

There would still be a fictional framework (the fluff), that these changes would have to fit into smoothly or they would be seen as "not fitting the fluff". That fluff is pretty much what GW have written about Dwarfs in the Warhammer world so far. Not what Dwarfs do in WoW (although that may well be an influence on new Dwarf fluff, if GW is influenced by WoW).
So far however, Dwarfs in the warhammer world has been portrayed as a weird mix of inventive and extremely distrustful of new developments.

There's a fluff piece out (from the WD when the 5th ed. book came out, I think) where a dwarven prince is disowned by his father for saying basically "Times change. if all other armies are trying out new ideas, creatures and tech then dwarven players need to stop being so stuborn other wise we be left behind. :( "
By the way, the prince in the story is definitely portrayed as "right". The Dwarfs just don't want to hear it, because it does not fit with their conception of how dwarven warfare and culture should be.

On the other hand, in the same White Dwarf (IIRC), they introduce the Anvil of Doom, which at the time allowed Dwarfs to cast spells. So GW aren't necessarily against changing Dwarf lore and rules retroactively. But if they do, they'll probably make it part of the fluff that the Dwarfs have been creating golems (or whatever) since forever.

My cynical ( ;) ) view of things is that if GW thinks golems will sell, we'll see golems in the next Dwarf army book.

wizbix
09-02-2010, 21:14
I suspect they probably would sell. Shudder the thought...

M. Armand
09-02-2010, 22:19
Its an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways when it comes to WFB Dwarfs, but if I ever decided to play Dwarfs again it would be with Hammers, Axes, Crossbows and a cannon or two.

zeebie
10-02-2010, 05:36
Its an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways when it comes to WFB Dwarfs, but if I ever decided to play Dwarfs again it would be with Hammers, Axes, Crossbows and a cannon or two.

question, what made you stop playing the dwarfs?.

I've asked that question to a number of ex-dwarf armies, and the answer was always been "they are boring to play" there a reason for that as nearly every dwarf unit is just a warrior with slightly better stat's

snurl
10-02-2010, 05:53
question, what made you stop playing the dwarfs?.

I've asked that question to a number of ex-dwarf armies, and the answer was always been "they are boring to play" there a reason for that as nearly every dwarf unit is just a warrior with slightly better stat's

Honestly I like them better without the gunpowder. Bolt Throwers and Grudge Throwers do the job just fine. The crossbows can clean up the rest.

ChaosVC
10-02-2010, 08:29
Dwarven Rune Golem

Rare

Mv6 WS3 str4 T5(6) A3 I1 W3 LD10 unbreakable. 3+ save. special rules: T6 against all shooting attacks, +1 str during charge : 95pts per models Size: 2++ 40mm base

What do you think?

wizbix
10-02-2010, 13:02
Actually contrary to my threats to add you all to my big Dwarf'en book of grudges for daring to suggest such a monster be added to the Dwarf list, I would probably buy one if they brought one out. Haha. :)

zeebie
10-02-2010, 13:18
Dwarven Rune Golem

Rare

Mv6 WS3 str4 T5(6) A3 I1 W3 LD10 unbreakable. 3+ save. special rules: T6 against all shooting attacks, +1 str during charge : 95pts per models Size: 2++ 40mm base

What do you think?

big question is , would you allow them to use runic equipment? or have runes attached to them. Also 10 Leadership seems high if they are unbreakable. maybe they could also have stupidity attached, depending on how smart you wish to make them

Toddy
10-02-2010, 13:33
I think it's just Space Marine syndrome - we're automatically attracted to large, 'chunky' humanoid shapes.

And by we, I mean me too. I loved those Dwarfnaught conversion when they were first shown (nearly 10 years ago?!), in the same way my Space Ork army had a lot of the new Mega-Armour when that came out, my CSMs have plenty of Obliterators etc. etc.

Dwarves have pleasantly exaggerated morphology already - big heads, big beards and big hands and feet basically covers the entire model - so 'macro-dwarves' are definitely going to 'look cool'.

Maybe this is why I play Dwarf warrior in WoW...

Voodoo Boyz
10-02-2010, 13:41
What makes me happy is that it is clear from the community that GW Dwarfs need SOMETHING that can move and fight to help make the army not mind-numbing to play.

There is so much that can be done with them, here's hoping GW takes them in a fun new direction in the next AB!

Condottiere
10-02-2010, 13:52
Special Rule: Dwarven infantry units can be deployed 18" from the table edge, due to the fact that their short stature allows them to advance toward the enemy line mostly unnoticed.

wizbix
10-02-2010, 14:44
Special Rule: Dwarven infantry units can be deployed 18" from the table edge, due to the fact that their short stature allows them to advance toward the enemy line mostly unnoticed.

But IU am sure the enemy would smell my Dwarf army a 10 miles off surely? ;)

Hicks
10-02-2010, 15:01
I don't like the idea of purely magically powered constructs, because runes tend to enhance objects rather than give them lives. However, I am 100% for clockwork constructs that can have runes.

It's also very easy to make them fluffy and integrate them in the next army book. Just make sure to specify that they are made by some radical members of the guild of engineers (or maybe ex members awainting re-integration).

To be sure not to anger the ultra traditionalist dwarf players who don't want to see any new units in the next book, the robots could be unlocked by a new special character, or prevent you from taking some other units (like Grey Knights vs Daemon Hosts in 40K). This way, those players would have a reason NOT to take them.

Mjameshayter
10-02-2010, 20:52
To be sure not to anger the ultra traditionalist dwarf players who don't want to see any new units in the next book, the robots could be unlocked by a new special character, or prevent you from taking some other units (like Grey Knights vs Daemon Hosts in 40K). This way, those players would have a reason NOT to take them.

I think this proballly a very good idea to break them into the army book. Those players willing to take new units can do so but there are still rules for the more stuborn players.

Good thinking.

mfv
10-02-2010, 21:37
I don't like the idea of Golums in the dwarf army but I love the idea of Golems! Dwarves should have constructs, and they don't have ta be magic In some tales a golem is inscribed with religious words that keep it animated. Writing one of the names of God on its forehead. So runes would work. And now to fuel the nerd rage..... Squats had robots so.....Let the anti squat comments begin!

mfv
10-02-2010, 21:42
Here ya go OP http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/ralarmyjpg/02-041set.jpg And this http://marbles.frothersunite.com/vsf_automatons.html

snottlebocket
10-02-2010, 21:56
Golems no. Steampowered Mechanical dwarfs with engineers inside... hell yeah.

Voss
10-02-2010, 22:00
. Most other fantasy realms other than GW dwarfs have acess to such constructs.

One major reason not to do it.

This isn't what Warhammer Dwarfs (proper dwarfs, not Chaos Dwarfs with their tendency to stick daemons in inanimate constructs) do.

Voodoo Boyz
10-02-2010, 22:55
I think this proballly a very good idea to break them into the army book. Those players willing to take new units can do so but there are still rules for the more stuborn players.

Good thinking.

Special Character...NO. Many players and tournaments I know don't let them around these parts, and IMO I agree with that.

If you just put them in the book as an option, then players who don't like the "new way" of doing things can just not take them.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
28-02-2010, 18:17
I'm currently searching the anvil of doom in DA:O, and I've to say that those dwarfs are very similar to warhammer dwarfs:
1. EVERYTHING is about Honour(Or glory)
2. You're not allowed to insult your family(Clan, any?)
3. The dwarven empire is overrun, lost the deep roads*COUGH* THE UNDERWAY *COUGH* and they only have two strongholds left.
I think Golems fit the warhammer dwarf, maybe being a work of Grungni, recently rediscovered in the lost halls of Karak Blah-Blah... Should be a quite nice model:D
Also this one is a source of inspiriation:http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/golem/sku-down/02728