PDA

View Full Version : Unseen Lerker - A new gaming magazine

ubertechie
06-02-2010, 08:54
Unseen Lerker is the latest, shiniest addition to the collection every dedicated gamer should have on their bookshelf. Contained within each bi-monthly issue are game reports from top players, expert painting and modelling tutorials, army showcases, interviews, event spotlights, an international list of upcoming tournaments, numerous reviews of books, movies, video games, and whatever else we can cram into each action-packed issue!

Issue 1 highlights:

Army Showcase: Russ Veal's Chaos Horde
One of the most gorgeous armies on the planet, displayed in glorious full colour photographs for you to admire, plus an in-depth interview with Russ himself.

Special Characters: an interview with Marcelo Rouco
Marcelo Rouco, current #1 player in Australia, has achieved a rankings score unmatched by anyone in history. In this two-page interview we learn a little bit about not only the gamer, but the man himself.

Event Spotlight: Giant Fanatic
A full coverage of the biggest tournament in Denmark, including masses of full-colour photographs, the Unseen Lerker review, comments from veteran players in attendance as well as an interview with one of the top organisers.

Plus all of our regular features
Including a tactics article by Loke "Gronx" Andersen, The Hobby Corner with James "Domus" Hyde, our hefty reviews segment, and an intense 10-page battle report between two of the UK's best players: Andy Isherwood and Andrew Chesney.

What people are saying:

‘Noticing that more than just a few regular and crucially, respected TWF regulars were involved in this new publication had me more than a little excited. Never has the oft use phrase “made by gamers for gamers” been more appropriate . It’s inspiring that people who have truly contributed to the Warhammer community worldwide have somehow managed to get this out to the masses. The taster I was sent was thoroughly enjoyable and I look forwards to getting the complete article. A minor gripe is that the three people involved in this magazine that I have actually played have all beaten me. ’
Alexander Storch / “Vincent of Vega” – Owner and Administrator of The Warhammer Forum.

‘In an age where there is a lot of material available on the subject of Warhammer it can be a struggle to sort the chaff from the golden – I was totally blown away with the detail in which each subject in this magazine is covered. If you love your Warhammer, you need this magazine.’
Dan Heelan – Heelanhammer podcast

‘Unseen Lerker is the magazine you should be reading if you want to keep up with what’s happening in the world of wargaming.’
Rork – Administrator, Druchii.net

Unseen Lerker is filled with articles every gamer is interested in. Battle reports, tournament info, beautifully painted miniatures, modelling tips, humour… Apart from the weirdos writing it all, this seems quite cool.
Warhammerlord Soth – Moderator, warhammer-empire.com

‘Good writing, a fancy layout, and an even fancier editor. What’s not to like?’
Mikkjel – some random Norwegian.

Interested and want to know more?

- Check out our website at: http://www.unseenlerker.com
- Subscribe to the magazine at: http://www.unseenlerker.com/subscribe
- Join our forums: http://www.unseenlerker.com/forum

You can also view a full 10-page preview of the magazine on our website.

The magazine itself is currently available for purchase either directly through our website, or from our distributors who are:-
OG Games
Maelstrom Games.

Thanks for reading, and see you around!

Regards,

The Unseen Lerker Team

PS: Keep an eye out for upcoming episodes of all your favourite podcasts including Podhammer, Bad Dice and Heelanhammer, where the hosts chat about the Unseen Lerker and give away free copies of the magazine to one lucky listener per show!

Lordsaradain
06-02-2010, 19:18
Do I have to pay for it? No thanks.

Agoz
06-02-2010, 19:54
are you even aloud to use that name for a magazine your selling?

tezdal
06-02-2010, 21:32
I only like things that are freeeeee

Xavier
06-02-2010, 22:05
Awesome; sign me up.

Finally something other than white dwarf...

Ignore the haters who want quality for nothing; paying less than white dwarf; for a product superior to white dwarf that focuses on fantasy. Yes please.

And Unseen Lerker; is not the same as Unseen Lurker the fantasy spell; so yes; they can call it that without any problems.

Condottiere
07-02-2010, 00:33
Is Unseen Lurker copyrighted? Seems unlikely.

R-Love
07-02-2010, 00:39
Is Unseen Lurker copyrighted? Seems unlikely.

I really doubt it, somehow :D

to the OP: you should rethink the name for your magazine. It sounds like one marketed to stalkers. BAD IDEA. You should change it. Now.

Sygerrik
07-02-2010, 05:53
Came for tips on how to stay out of sight in the bushes and collect hair from my neighbor's hairbrush while she's at work...
...left disappointed.

Condottiere
07-02-2010, 09:00
Gift her a Warhammer miniature with an embedded camera.

Gammalfarmor
07-02-2010, 11:43
you should ad a disclaimer or something.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-02-2010, 12:01
Heard this being pimped on the bad dice podcast, sounds like a great idea. Next time I make an order for warhammer stuff I'll pick up an issue.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
07-02-2010, 12:07
I can't, in good conscience, read a magazine that has a purposely misspelled word on the front. Plus, is does look like the repackaged "Raper's Quarterly."

ubertechie
10-02-2010, 09:19
Just to respond to some of the questions
1: Why the misspelling of the name?
The reason the name is misspelt is to avoid any (potential or perceived) infringement on GW IP - plus the magazine is meant to be a bit quirky

2: Why is it not free / not available as a download?
We as a team hate reading from the screen and prefer to hold something in our hands therefore we took a decision that the magazine would only be available in hard copy - and as that costs (not an insignificant amount) to print and post we have to charge for it.

Thanks for the messages of support and subscriptions - the faith is appreciated and we hope to more than reward it. For those that are not sure about the credibility of the magazine it is being reviewed on all the major pod casts and is available from reputable outlets such as OG games and Maelstrom

Dai-Mongar
10-02-2010, 09:39
It looks nice, but seems more geared toward tournament gaming than I would like, so I'll give it a pass (this issue at least).

Cacodemon
10-02-2010, 09:52
I wouldn't buy a magazine called "Unseen Lerker" no matter how good it is.

WarmbloodedLizard
10-02-2010, 10:02
It does seem much more interesting than WD. so if all you WD-subscribers could please change to this, GW might think about producing a real magazine again, maybe even with their help :D

ORKY ARD BOYZ
10-02-2010, 10:03
I wouldn't buy a magazine called "Unseen Lerker" no matter how good it is.

Judging a book by its title?

ashc
10-02-2010, 10:09
Judging a book by its title?

You have got to be fair, you sit at a coffee house or even leave it on a table at home and other people are going to look at you like :wtf:

Cacodemon
10-02-2010, 10:10
I couldn't stand the misspelled title at my magazine stand. It would jump to my eyes everytime.

ashc
10-02-2010, 10:12
I actually clicked on this thread because I thought it was a misspell.

Condottiere
10-02-2010, 11:10
It's unfortunate, that spelling isn't always a strong suit amongst denizens.

Kholdaimon
10-02-2010, 11:32
Seriously can you stop with the misspelling remarks and read?!

The name ISN'T MISSPELLED! It is intentionally called Unseen Lerker, because they want to avoid any IP suits or issues and because they want to have a bit of a wacky name for it.

About people seeing you reading a magazine called Unseen Lerker and thinking you are weird, what do you think people think of you reading a magazine called White Dwarf?
And if you really care about what people that dont know you and you have no business with think of you, then you should grow up. I'll tell anyone I am a 'Nerd', I play computer-games, was addicted to WoW for 4 or so years, play Warhammer, D&D and like nerdy fantasy books and fantasy or sci-fi movies. Anyone that judges me inferior or whatever based on that is not worth the time thinking or considering about.

The mag will be good, Bobo and his team have been working on this for a while now. They have very good international contacts to fill the pages with information about tournaments from all across the world, masterfully painted armies from all across the world and painting/modelling guides from people all across the world. It is a global magazine for more mature/experienced gamers/hobbyists then the WD currently is (allthough I thought the last WD had some really good painting and tactical articles).

And ofcourse a Bobo Battlereport is always something to look forward to. ;)

Christiaan

ubertechie
10-02-2010, 11:43
Christiaan
Many thanks for the supportive post - the internet is a critical place at the best of times however generally Unseen Lerker has been positively reviewed by all who have taken the time to read it.

You are correct in your statement that the magazine is aimed at the more mature reader that yearns for the WD of old and also that the content will also always have a international flavour with contributors from the UK, Europe, Australia and America ensuring we reflect the global nature of our hobby.

Cheers
Bryan
Head Of Operations
Unseen Lerker Ltd

Cacodemon
10-02-2010, 11:53
what do you think people think of you reading a magazine called White Dwarf?

At least it's a pun as it means a type of star, so a nod to futuristic games, and doubles as a fantasy Dwarf character.

Lerker isn't even a meaningful word (in a dictionary that is).

the Goat
10-02-2010, 12:45
Marcelo Rouco, current #1 player in Australia. . .

If you assign ranks to players you are playing the game wrong.

The reason the name is misspelt is to avoid any (potential or perceived) infringement on GW IP - plus the magazine is meant to be a bit quirky
Misspelling a word from the English language doesn't make you quirky. It makes you look like a [censored].

we took a decision that the magazine would only be available in hard copy - and as that costs (not an insignificant amount)
Wow! Not an insignificant amount indeed. $50US for six issues is insane. And I thought games-workshop was raping us with the pricing. (also requiring payment through paypal is a deal breaker)
________
BLONDE BABE (http://www.****tube.com/categories/309/babe/videos/1)

Kholdaimon
10-02-2010, 13:43
Goat, why are you so agressive with your opinions? Nothing of what you say is fact but you are trying to make it sound like it is. The same opinions can be voiced in a much more friendly way.

Some people like to play competitively and like to see themselves on a ranking. You may not like it but that doesnt make it wrong.

I dont think intentionally misspelling a word from the english language makes you look like a [whatever you called them]. Do you think the guys that invented Google are [whatever you called them] aswell?

The magazine is just as expensive for Americans as the White Dwarf is per issue if you get a subscription. However, this magazine is not printed in America, nor is it printed it the same number of copies. So printing per magazine is more expensive and sending it to America costs money aswell. These guys arent making a huge profit or anything and many people will enjoy holding the actual magazine rather then reading it of a screen.
White Dwarf however is much critiqued by experienced gamers/hobbyists and especially tournament centric gamers. It also focuses on 3 different systems and some Fantasy players feel it lacks Fantasy content. White Dwarf also doesnt acknowledge the global Warhammer scene and doesnt even say a word about something like the ETC which is the biggest Wargaming Event in history focusing on 2 of their 3 main systems!
This is what White Dwarf is lacking and Unseen Lerker is trying to adress and apparently people want to read. They are allready having to print more of their first issue then expected.

And yes, I am a friend of Alex Kin-Wilde or Bobo the Vampire Monkey or whatever he prefers to call himself at the time. But that does not take away from my arguments.

Christiaan

jesterking
10-02-2010, 15:54
i've read the preview pages, and to be honest i think you need to work more on the layout and the designs... especially if you're gonna print it (and sell it).
as for the contents, there's not much to read in the preview but i sure hope it's better than WD ;)

anyway, good luck with the magazine :D

xragg
10-02-2010, 16:09
Its nice to see someone trying to produce a magazine to compete with White Dwarf. The couple things I discuss following this is not meant to reflect poorly against the actual magazine, as I wish it well.

First, I also dont understand the point of misspelling "lurker". I actually thought it was a typo until I saw its misspelling defended. Usually when companies misspell words, there is an actually reason behind it. Like a regional convience store in my area replaces all the "s" with "z" cause their owner's last name ends in a "z". "Google" isnt a misspelled word, but a created word which is a poor example. Anyway, the misspelling would never stop me from reading, buying, or viewing the magazine in a negative way. Just something that makes me raise my eyebrow at.

Second, I always thought Australia was a rather large country, so I am not sure how you can declare someone the #1 player. Do you have have prize money to support a tournament circuit or is it just a reward for people able to travel the country hitting as many qualifying tournaments as possible? GW doesnt sanction anything like that, so who is and why is that more official than anything else? Joe Nobody can claim he is ranked #1 cause he's won numerous tournaments and it would hold as much weight as any other unsanctioned ranking. The person claimed to be #1 is most likely a very good player and can probably offer great advice very worthy for a magazine. To me, its not important that he did well on some made up ranking system, just let me know he is experienced and is known for winning and placing well at many tournaments.

Kholdaimon
10-02-2010, 17:17
Google is purposefully misspelled based on Googol (meaning 10 to the 100th power).

http://www.irresistibleforce.com.au/(S(4i15tx55mzuagkycjzys0nbv))/catalog/Rankings,216.aspx (About the Australian (and British) Rankings)

Christiaan

Gazak Blacktoof
10-02-2010, 17:19
I am not sure how you can declare someone the #1 player.

Australia has an established rankings system.

xragg
10-02-2010, 19:22
Why not state that he is ranked #1 by that club? Dont actually answer me, as an answer isnt needed. I dont want to derail a thread meant to promote the magazine. So I will reserve any further comment that is off-topic and again just wish you well with your magazine.

blackjack
10-02-2010, 19:35
Paying for content that is fan based and equivalent to what is found for free on this very forum. (battle reports, army show cases, tactics, opinion.)

Not sure how you intend to make a go of it, but good luck!

Pacorko
10-02-2010, 21:39
Amateurish in design (always a turnoff with me... especially with payed-for reading materials, never mind the "retro WD look" attempt) and way too tourney-oriented for my tastes, so I too am passing on this one.

Now, Blackjack... there's nothing wrong with fans wanting to go pro with their hobby. Rememeber when WD was a fanzine? So, while I get most of the rationale on your post, it still reads a bit off. After all, many other magazines dealing with WHFB and 40 are subscription-based, made by fans of the games and sold to other fans.

To the OP: Hope you have a good response, though. That will enable you to work on getting better layouts and more diverse content.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-02-2010, 21:47
Layout, etc seemed fine to me, if its not as you think it should be then they might appreciate a suggestion as to how to improe those elements.

I don't have a great interest in the tournament circuit either, what I like though is that its still content I would happily read- its entertaining and relates to my hobby, if only perpherially to my own niche within it.

Why not state that he is ranked #1 by that club?

Its a national ranking system.

EDIT:
http://www.rankingshq.com/Public/Article.aspx?ArticleId=12

Marcelo didn't actually finish top at the masters - I assume he must have been #1 for the year prior to the final showdown.

The Red Scourge
10-02-2010, 22:03
Wow! The negativity is astounding. And most of it just seem based on people fearing something new. UL might be good or horribly bad (though I've read a few of Bobos reports, and they are quite a joy), but at least give these guys the benefit of the doubt - its not as if WD is worth reading. And if 50$ is too expensive, then just don't buy the rag - then again it just might be worth it :)

Good luck on your venture into publishing. Hope it becomes a huge success, so GW gets the point that a magazine should contain more than just ads :)

kris.sherriff
10-02-2010, 23:43
My copy of issue one arrived today and I gave it a quick flick through. I have to say that is was a good read, it could have been better but it is issue one. I can't wait for issue two to arrive.

I just hope people give them a chance, I have produced stuff for my clubs site and it is not easy but the UL team seem to have done a good job, hopefully if it takes off the mag could get thicker with even more articles and the like.

I for one will be sending off an e-mail to tell the team what I think in a constructive way.

I would give the Mag a solid 7.5/10 for issue one.

Kris

jesterking
11-02-2010, 01:59
Layout, etc seemed fine to me, if its not as you think it should be then they might appreciate a suggestion as to how to improe those elements.

IMO, the thing that really need to be fixed is the layout. wall of text that stretches from left to right is very boring, it's like reading a thesis. i suggest that they use 2 columns per page just like any other magazine.
secondly, there's no consistency in the size of the pics, and they looks cluttered.

please take this as a constructive input, i just wanted to help :)

Pacorko
11-02-2010, 03:20

Short of hiring a pro editorial designer and/or editor (I'm one, by the way)? :p

Revise and integrate the typeset--hopefully into two not-fancy fonts. That adds "class", makes it more modern and gives it a more professional look overall.

Work on a better way to "spread" the images and do not make the text "encapsulate" it. That makes for dynamic and entertaining reading while not being too heavy on the eyes.

The tone is nice, but at time it reads a bit forced. Granted it was only a sampler, but still... it was enough to make me realize I was not its target audience.

zetaplus
11-02-2010, 03:50
ubertechie, is there a chance of us getting an earlier issue as a PDF file, or atleast a sample from one of the magazines so we can see the type of content and writing you offer?

ubertechie
11-02-2010, 12:11
Thanks for all of the responses - some answers to the many questions

1:Layout
We have a designer on-board now (working for free as we all do) and issue 2 is very pretty

2: Sample File
A sample containing 10 pages of issue 1 is available here http://unseenlerker.com/Issue%201%20Updated%20Sample%20New.pdf

3: Feedback
For those of you that have read the magazine we want to hear your opinions as we want to strive to ensure that this magazine lives up to your expectations and desires. So if you have something to share with us visit our feedback forum at http://unseenlerker.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

cheers
Bryan

Kaptajn_Congoboy
09-03-2010, 08:01
Is this mag GW only or will you be covering other hobby miniatures games as well?

[edit]Heard about it on podhammer (my WHFB project is on 8th edition freezer halt, no use painting up things 8th ed will make unplayable).