PDA

View Full Version : DoC overview please?

Ultimate Life Form
06-02-2010, 11:45
Hello, I'm taking interest in DoC as of lately (yes, I'm a WAAC player :D), but I'm a bit at a loss here.

I felt this urge before, but whenever I look at the miniature range I realize

a) some of the Core troops are metal. I've vowed to never buy metal R&F again, not only because the color chips off all the time but also, in this case, purely for cost reasons (though this argument may not hold much water these days)

b) Half of the entrys in the book don't even seem to exist modelwise

Now I have a faible for fluff armies, and that means I will probably lean towards mono-god lists (and mixed for bigger games). The only army that would realistically be viable under the aforementioned premises would be Khorne, is that right?

So... what I hope from this thread would be the following:

- Comparison of the different mono-god armies, tactics, strengths and weaknesses and so on to help me make my mind up.

- Info on the models. I can't believe half the troops are missing?!? :wtf: Is there any indication that this may change soon (and hopefully we'll get plastic PB and Horrors)?

- and, of course, opinions which mono-god army is the strongest! :D

w3rm
06-02-2010, 14:26
Hmmm Well I dont think any monogod army is the "strongest". But in my opinion Nurgle and Tzeentch are farily boring to play against or with. That leaves Khorne and Slaanesh. Slaanesh is my favorite build because:
1. Good magic against non-Undead troops
2. Fast- Everything is movement 6-10
3. Keeper of Secrets is my favorite Greater Daemon model and gamewise.

All of the Slaanesh models that dont exsist are easily converted. Spawns can be used for Fiends, mix Forest goblin spiders with Daemonettes to make Spider-Nette Driders, and heralds are easily made from Daemonettes.

Khorne is nice, buts its over done and boring unless you take more Crushers than hounds and maybe leave the Thirster at home until 3k.

Hope this helps.

DarkMark
06-02-2010, 16:18
Here you go, all your questions should be answered.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?

R-Love
07-02-2010, 01:46
a) some of the Core troops are metal. I've vowed to never buy metal R&F again, not only because the color chips off all the time but also, in this case, purely for cost reasons (though this argument may not hold much water these days)

This can be gotten around fairly easy with modest conversions, Dryads or Ghouls for Horrors and converted Zombies for Plaguebearers being the the most common, though there are plenty of ideas out there if you know where to look.

b) Half of the entrys in the book don't even seem to exist modelwise

There are only three units with no models: Daemon Princes*, Seekers, and Heralds(which is probably the largest problem, but conversions/replacements can be easily found if you look hard enough.) It should be noted that many existing units look fairly old and dated (Greater Daemons), or just absolutely terrible (Flesh Hounds) and will likely require conversions anyway, but they're still available

Now I have a faible for fluff armies, and that means I will probably lean towards mono-god lists (and mixed for bigger games). The only army that would realistically be viable under the aforementioned premises would be Khorne, is that right?

Assuming no conversions, yes. Again though, conversions are easy when you really look for them.

- Info on the models. I can't believe half the troops are missing?!? :wtf: Is there any indication that this may change soon (and hopefully we'll get plastic PB and Horrors)?

A second wave is rumoured to be on the way with plastic Prince and Seekers, as well as some metals, but no word on when (I personally expect it will be here before summer)

- and, of course, opinions which mono-god army is the strongest! :D

Either Nurgle or Tzeentch most likely, with the Great Wall, Mageline or Flying Circus Lists. It should be noted that these lists are almost universally hated, however.

I'll leave more in-depth tactical thoughts to other people who use the army more.

If you do start a Daemon army, be aware you will need a good deal of conversions or an almost entirely metal army, which will likely contain units which don't quite match up visually.

*Forgeworld actually has Princes of Khorne and Nurgle, actually. Both are great models and come with a bonus Herald, though the Nurgle one is a little to 40K in my opinion, and I don't know how hard it would be to convert

Hope This Helps :D

willowdark
07-02-2010, 02:29
Can I say that Dual-god is probably the best approach? For one thing, God-to-God alliances are much more realistic than a blanket "Coalition of the Willing." And for another, you can't really achieve variety with a single god-style, while several great synergies arise between any given two.

Slaanesh is basically the best support god. Her units provide movement superiority, And siren standard on Seekers means that if you play well you'll always get the charge you're looking for. I'd also say that She offers the best style of any mono-God army since she shines in the movement phase and would probably be the most tactically interesting choice. And siren song is just amazing, especially against things like Dragons or Hydras.

I'd say that the first question you should ask is which Greater Daemon, if any, you want, and take it from there. Ultraforge has amazing versions of each.

For the rest of the range, you do need to be willing to convert. Spider centaurs for Seekers is a good option, though Gamezone has a line of mounted Daemonettes.

Ghouls make great Plaguebearers, as well as zombies. If you do go dual-God, and you want plaguebearers, just use the standard core for the other god and make 'em look infected. Use greenstuff to put boils on them and fishers, and put Nurglings on their bases.

If you can cut the swords away from their hands, I find Bloodletters to be extremely neutral. I used them for Harpies in my DE army, and they don't look out of place at all. With a pink colour scheme they could be great Horrors, and you could even splice a handful together at the waste or the back and paint them blue for a few Blue Horrors mixed into the unit. Paint them sickly green and their tongues pale yellowish-pink and they'd make great Plaguebearers. They're even posed for vomiting.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I chopped off those ridiculous coneheads and resculpted them into a normal round shape. That would make a big difference in any conversion I'd think.