PDA

View Full Version : Quick Beastmen question...

jason_sation
06-02-2010, 14:29
So I'd like to start Beastmen and get into Fantasy, but I had a couple of concerns.

1. Do they have a Battalion Box? Maybe I'm dense, but I can't seem to find one on the site, despite having a new release this weekend.

2. Does driver of the Tuskgor chariot come with an alternate arm pose besides holding a head? One in the army is ok, but I don't want all my guys doing it.

3. I had the old book for Beasts of Chaos and see that they have brought back Harpies. Are the models on the site new, or old ones from a couple of Armybooks ago?

4. Are Chaos Spawn as bad in Fantasy as they are in 40k? I like the models.

Thanks!

squiggoth
06-02-2010, 14:39
1. Do they have a Battalion Box? Maybe I'm dense, but I can't seem to find one on the site, despite having a new release this weekend.

From what I've heard, there will be a battallion box containing a whopping 10 Bestigolds, 20 Golds and 10 Ungolds.

2. Does driver of the Tuskgor chariot come with an alternate arm pose besides holding a head? One in the army is ok, but I don't want all my guys doing it.

Nope, the arm holding the elf head is sculpted onto the body so you'll have to do some sawing and swapping. I am pretty sure the axe arm is a seperate bit though (can't remember where I left my chariot crew or I would check it for you ... oops)

3. I had the old book for Beasts of Chaos and see that they have brought back Harpies. Are the models on the site new, or old ones from a couple of Armybooks ago?

You mean those really cheesy looking flat breasted bird women? They are from a mere few years ago, and probably not scheduled for a remake any time soon. Check out the 4th/5th edition Marauder Harpies if you are looking for flyers that look more like gargoyles, they were the default Harpy models for Beastmen and Dark Elves up until 6th edition:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/squiggothnurgle/Daemons/Boosjes001s.jpg

They're not THAT bad, altough there will probably be more effective gribblies to spend your points on. ;)

Jack of Blades
06-02-2010, 14:47
I don't know (mostly because I don't care) whether the Beastmen battalion box is out yet, but if it isn't buy your Gors and Ungors before it is because they will be getting a lot more expensive.

mrtn
06-02-2010, 14:47
A lot of people seem to think that bestigors will be a bad choice, so you can use them for your chariots, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Edit: Don't follow Jack's advice, the old herd box is gone, so they already are more expensive.

jason_sation
06-02-2010, 15:04
I like those older Gargoyles a lot better. Thanks!

Orcboy_Phil
06-02-2010, 22:40
I like those older Gargoyles a lot better. Thanks!

You serious? At least the new ones look somewhat like somewhat like what people think a harpy should look like rather than those things.

Griefbringer
06-02-2010, 23:03
Edit: Don't follow Jack's advice, the old herd box is gone, so they already are more expensive.

You might still find some indie retailers having a few boxes in the shelf somewhere.

zak
07-02-2010, 00:00

- The battalion box is as Squiggoth described. Not much of a saving compared to all of the other battalions and miserable compared to the Skaven one.

- The model is two piece with the hand holding the axe as the only other part so it is very easy to swap weapons, although it has to be a double handed weapon. The other arm could of course be cut and replaced.

- The old gargoyles are on the wrong sized base and will need to be cut down to fit 20mm bases. There are some fantastic harpies available from other companies if you don't like the current GW ones on the site, which appeared with the DE release (I think).

- No the are pretty good. Shame we can't mark them any more, but they are still good buys with T5 and D6 attacks with ITP.

Don't let the boubters put you off. The Beastmen book is a good solid book that has some new and interesting choices and needs a bit of thought to win with rather than being a no brainer click and win army.

Cherrystone
07-02-2010, 01:33
The old gargoyles are on the wrong sized base and will need to be cut down to fit 20mm bases. There are some fantastic harpies available from other companies if you don't like the current GW ones on the site, which appeared with the DE release (I think).

Ive just bought some otherworld harpies that need basing, is 20mm defiently correct as my old harpies i had for chaos back in 3rd/4th edition were on 25mm bases?

Rhamag
07-02-2010, 02:36
The policy for battalions seems to have shifted to them being released after the main release of the armybook and regiment boxes, as I suspect the advance-ordered battalions were stealing sales from the individual boxes. I'd imagine they'll appear in a month or two.

Dai-Mongar
07-02-2010, 03:32
Ive just bought some otherworld harpies that need basing, is 20mm defiently correct as my old harpies i had for chaos back in 3rd/4th edition were on 25mm bases?

Seeing as how the DE harpies come with 20mm, I'd say Beastmen harpies should be the same.

willowdark
07-02-2010, 03:35
I was almost certain they were 25mm, which is how I based my conversions.

DarkMark
07-02-2010, 12:37
Harpies are 20mm 100%

Batttalion is due in about 6weeks iirc. Buy a chariot or two, some very nice new ungors, dogs, minos, and characters to keep you going till then.

zak
07-02-2010, 12:56
As stated Harpies are now 20mm bases.

The new Gors and Ungors are very nice and do have loads of options. A couple of chariots are a must though and then buy a Pumbagor if you can stand it and convert one as these are fantastic in game.

Jack of Blades
07-02-2010, 15:47
buy a Pumbagor if you can stand it and convert one as these are fantastic in game.

But Pumbagors are horribly ugly models and isn't that the good thing about them? who wants their shiny regiment of awesome annihilated by a horribly ugly Pumbagor? The filthy horror of the Pumbagors should be very amusing to use to kill and destroy better-looking stuff ;)

kyussinchains
07-02-2010, 20:46
rumours suggest the possibility of new plastic harpies in the second wave of DE releases, one of the potentially telling things, is that there are apparently no pictures of the harpies in the DE book... according to Avian anyway....