PDA

View Full Version : Sisters and Guard?

TownCryer
07-02-2010, 14:47
I was pondering over the weekend about putting sisters into my soon to be guard army. At first for more fire power in the back lines, then to add to hte number of tanks I'll have in my Armored Fist army. Chimeras and Rhinos and an Immolater if I'm good. However, I wanted to ask about any things to keep in mind with having Sisters.

bigcheese76
07-02-2010, 15:12
They can form a very competative list.

My advise would be to make use of the Inquisitors and Retinue, which will allow you to take an assassin, I usually field a Vindicare.
Another good squad to use from sisters in a guard army is Seriaphim, as they can hit fairly hard in combat if need be wheras guard cant really.
Repentia are probably worth the points too as their abilities at taking tanks down is amazing.
If you are planning to field any Sisters of Battle troops then make sure you have got a descent amount of faith at your disposal as it will really come in handy and make the sisters in the army really hard hitting, and you can get them an Invun.

Blue Orphen
07-02-2010, 16:21
If you just "splash" in some SoB, you're not going to be able to rely much on using the Faith powers that make Sisters so dangerous.

That being said, Sisters fill the role of "crack infantry" very well, due to Bolters, BS4, and Power Armour.

However, if you are just using a few units, I would stay away from the more exotic choices in the codex (like Repentia and Assassins) and instead use a few basic Sisters squads as a sort of "shock troop" spearhead.

Creeping Dementia
07-02-2010, 17:18
I was pondering over the weekend about putting sisters into my soon to be guard army. At first for more fire power in the back lines, then to add to hte number of tanks I'll have in my Armored Fist army. Chimeras and Rhinos and an Immolater if I'm good. However, I wanted to ask about any things to keep in mind with having Sisters.

First off, if you're looking for more firepower in the back lines then you're looking at getting the wrong allies. Sisters are very sub-par from a distance, don't expect them to do much if they're just sitting back with Guard Platoons.

For an additional Mechanized wing to a Guard army they can do alright, however they still won't perform as well as they would in a pure Sisters army. Faith concentration is pretty important for Sisters to get really good, and with just a few units of Sisters you can use up all your Faith pretty quickly.

I would heavily advise against most of what bigcheese76 said. Inquisitors, with or without a retinue are a waste of points, especially Witchhunter ones, they just plain suck.
Assassins are also mostly not worth the points (including the points of having to take a useless Inquisitor), with Vindicares and Culexus being the worst of them. Callidus can be ok... sometimes.
I really can't believe someone actually recommended Repentia either. They are actively competing for the prize of 'Worst unit in 40k... ever'. They're an 'assault' unit, that cost too much, can't stay alive, have no means of transportation, and for being an assault unit they are pathetic at assaulting things. A Guard army trying to put Repentia in a list to help kill Tanks, which should be a strength in Guard armies already, would just be silly.

If you're going to take sisters allies, stick to basic squads, Celestians, and Seraphim, and probably a Canoness. They get things done.

TownCryer
07-02-2010, 17:24
What I had planned on doing was taking the HQ Sister with a retinue of five (if I wanted to put them in an immolater) or nine if i wanted to put them in a rhino.

Two squads of Troop sisters in rhinos along along with the chimeras to set up a mobile firebase stle army. And if they can shoot from the rhino even better.

And finally either a dominion squad or a serephim squad.

sigur
07-02-2010, 17:28
You do know that this is basically a whole SoB army? this list of stuff will come in at about 1000pts if not more. Just throw 1-2 SoB squads into your IG and you're good. Or play a proper SoB army.

TownCryer
07-02-2010, 17:31
Well I was thinking of using that for a larger, say apoc, army which is what'd make it ideal to have all that.

Creeping Dementia
07-02-2010, 17:37
What I had planned on doing was taking the HQ Sister with a retinue of five (if I wanted to put them in an immolater) or nine if i wanted to put them in a rhino.

Two squads of Troop sisters in rhinos along along with the chimeras to set up a mobile firebase stle army. And if they can shoot from the rhino even better.

And finally either a dominion squad or a serephim squad.

That'll be around 800pts, maybe slightly more depending on gear, and its a good chunk of Sisters.

IMO it woud be ideal for an 'Ard Boyz size army. And it could work around 2000pts as well. I wouldn't do anything smaller than that.

For Apoc that detachment will be good, but you could throw in a bunch of other stuff too.

Epicenter
07-02-2010, 18:54
There's a few things to keep in mind with Sisters. I think the combo can be very powerful, but they invalidate certain IG mech tactical thought.

* Rhinos and Immolators aren't Chimeras. They're better armored from the side, but the front AV leaves something to be desired. Even if it's "just one point" it makes a lot of previously ineffective weapons effective against them.

* Rhinos and Immolators have terrible Fire Point firepower - one Sister can shoot out of the Fire Point on them. I think two in some printings of the Codex. This pretty much requires the Sisters not only to advance to the enemy, but also disembark to shoot their bolters or else you're better off with massing more special weapons in Chimeras.

* This leads to a tactical thinking change between Sisters and IG. Battle Sister Squads (BSS) are ultimately expendable but expending them in the same way that IG squads are expendable will lose you games. BSSs in a Rhino clock in around 210 points. You tend to use IG troops like a string of firecrackers; they pop off in a big bang, then you move on to the next unit because the earlier one is dead. Sisters aren't quite as expendable ultimately.

IcedAnimals
07-02-2010, 23:02
I use guard with my sisters. But sisters with guard honestly pure guard is better.

It is one of those one sided relationships. The guard bring something that the sisters lack. But the sisters really do not bring much for the guard. I suppose you could bring a couple units of sisters as they are a bit better at holding an objective with their power armor. But you could also just throw some guardsmen on that objective and go to ground for the 3+ cover. Plus you could throw 2-3 times as many wounds in that cover to hold it.

Xelloss
08-02-2010, 00:29
Repentia are probably worth the points too

Hahahahahahaha. Wow.