PDA

View Full Version : Your vintage armies

enyoss
07-02-2010, 18:17
Hi all,

I've been working on my beloved High Elf army since 1996, and have always had a soft spot for the old 4th edition models which were the established range back then. Anyway, I've recently got my hands on one of the last models I need to get every model in the range, the champion on the top left here http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92379hebthrower-03.htm.

I've found that without realizing it, I've become a collector, trying to recreate the Warhammer environment that I loved so much and which got me into this hobby back in the early 90's. To be fair, most of my army was bought when the models were on the shelves, it's only recently that I've been trying to tie up loose ends using Ebay, but you get what I mean?

And this has got me thinking... are there any other players out there who have a cherished army that has accompanied them from childhood, or who are so enamoured with an old model range that they're now going back and collecting the stuff they wish they'd bought when they'd had the chance?

Clearly, I can imagine some model ranges have outlasted others. Overall, I think all 4th edition armies have aged very well with the exception of Wood Elves and Dark Elves (I think the High Elves still look especially good... my humble opinion of course :D). If you go back a bit further, the Empire, Bretonnia, Dwarf and in parts Chaos ranges of 3rd edition are still great sculpts in my eyes, apart from a slight shift in style for the Dwarfs.

So, any other vintage army lovers out there?

Cheers,

enyoss

P.S. If anyone has the 4th edition High Elf Pegasus rider or Marauder Dragonlord, and is looking to sell, please get in touch! :)

EDIT: Feel free to post pictures! I'd especially love to see any 3rd edition Bretonnian or Dwarf armies, although I doubt there are many out there.

Commodus Leitdorf
07-02-2010, 18:33
I only started in the hobby a few years ago...But I love old models. Going out of my way to find them is one of the things I enjoy the most. I just mix them into my army no matter what they are.

For instance http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20211impdwfs-m.htm

Dwarf Crossbowmen 7, 8 and 10 I use in my Empire army as part of my "mercenary" Averland Crossbow regiment. And I have a number of Halflings mixed into my Huntsmen regiment, along with plans to get many more of the old stuff to throw in.

Your quite right in you love of the older High Elf models. I honestly loathe elves....but those old models are simply gorgeous. I often refer to High Elves as the "Boring" elves. But if my army were to look like THAT I wouldn't mind it as much.

Desert Rain
07-02-2010, 18:45
I started the hobby about 7 years ago, so that was before "vintage time" but there are a lot of old models that I really like. For example the Everqueen and her Maids are among my favourite models ever.
I have a fairly large collection of 4th/5th edition High Elves due to an extreamly good offer at the Swedish version of eBay and I can probably make about a 3000 points army using only vintage models.

Nuada
07-02-2010, 19:00
I started buying high elves a while ago well, but i sold all my figures mid 90's.

My first figure was the metal elf dragon. It's in a very similar position to the current one, but not as good. Not a very good idea for my first figure. Top of the page here;
http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0804dragons.jpg

enyoss
07-02-2010, 19:09
For instance http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20211impdwfs-m.htm

I love that range too! I started collecting dwarfs in 1994 and back ordered units from that old metal range, including the simply superb Norse Dwarfs. It's a pity that the style has shifted towards `Viking' though, so a lot of the dwarfs with surcoats probably don't fit as well as they once did. In fact, some of them look downright Bretonnian, although I still love them :p.

I started the hobby about 7 years ago, so that was before "vintage time" but there are a lot of old models that I really like. For example the Everqueen and her Maids are among my favourite models ever.

Did you manage to get your hands on the Everqueen and maiden guard then? I bought a set when they first came out, although I rarely use them in my games now as I prefer to use the old seaguard models. Looking on Ebay though, it seems that maiden guard often go for silly prices.

My first figure was the metal elf dragon. It's in a very similar position to the current one, but not as good. Not a very good idea for my first figure. Top of the page here;
http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0804dragons.jpg

Wow! That dragon is properly old... I think it was outdated even at the start of 4th edition. I've got the dragon, but don't have the rider. Do you still have him?! If so, please, please, please send a pic, as I've been trying to figure out how he balanced on that steeply inclined neck for ages!

Good to hear there are other vinatage fans out there :D.

Feefait
07-02-2010, 19:57
I used to lay out my army by generations. For instance all the old metal spear holding clnrats in one unit. All the plastic, uniposed clanrats with swords in another. I avoided any of the newer clanrats just because they didn't fit, and I already have something like 150 painted clanrats. However I got this idea to just throw everything together. I bought a 'new' box (last edition) and now mix and match them in with everything else, with no heed on what is uniform. Just big masses of rats. works well with clanrats, but probably not so well with HE. :) I do find I have a soft spot for the odler ranges though, and they get removed last as casualties is possible.

I recently played an old friend for the first time since high school, probably 1993. He plays very seldom (maybe once a year). I was playing the new skaven and had a lot fo the new toys. He was playing the same Orc list he;s been playing, with the same models since high school. he took what he had anrd what his army was. i felt a little bad. he had a unit of orcs with spears. a unit of goblins with bows. no black orc hero. no save orcs, chariots or anything 'special'. he likes his army and the models and didnt care about 'effectiveness' or power level. i admired his army way more than mine and actually felt a little guilty lol

whenever someone busts out an old school model (or army) they always get props in our group. some of the new stuff is way cool but they arent quite as special

Valtiel
07-02-2010, 20:03
For me it's not much about units themselves but I really, really love the old Chaos Champions and sorcerers. I buy them whenever I have the money and feel like adding whatever to my collection. They really are still awesome models and they have much more character than many of the models these days. And they're sometimes pretty cheap as well so that's pretty cool.

Commodus Leitdorf
07-02-2010, 20:11
For me it's not much about units themselves but I really, really love the old Chaos Champions and sorcerers.

I have about 9 of the Nurgle ones. Add in my old school Plaguebearer Musician, Pestigor Standard Bearer and the newer Metal Chaos Champion of Nurgle (with a Nurgling for a head) and BAM unit of Chosen...that I dont need cause I don't play Chaos!!

I must stop Impulse buying!!

tezdal
07-02-2010, 20:17
Ive still got some of the 5th edition Empire and High Elves my brother and I started, not sure what happened to all the Bret's and lizzies that came in the starter box. Anyway, I still think Reiksguard foot are some of the best models gw ever made.

Aulbath
07-02-2010, 20:19
Started with HeroQuest and Space Crusade, in '96 I got into 40K... honestly, early to mid-nineties was the best time minis-wise. So characterful, so funny. I love all that old stuff.
I spent pretty much the last 3 years getting all books from that time so I could get my vintage-fix when I need it. (fun fact, I finally got the last missing two books this weekend - Realms of Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs armybook), bought a major-size vintage Ork Horde for 40K as well, grabbed loads of old Space Wolves along the way, have almost only old Nids from 2nd Ed and 2nd ED Space Hulk in my upcoming Nid-army and bought all kinds of vintage models from various places for my massive Chaos Fantasy army (stuff like Chronopia).

No school like the oldschool!

If you are into vintage-stuff, be sure to check out Harrys amazing plogs!

enyoss
07-02-2010, 20:20
he had a unit of orcs with spears. a unit of goblins with bows. no black orc hero. no save orcs, chariots or anything 'special'. he likes his army and the models and didnt care about 'effectiveness' or power level. i admired his army way more than mine and actually felt a little guilty lol

I wish I was that disciplined. Although I used to do it, I always find myself dropping the light armour on my archers to get something else, even though the old models all wear it :o. I guess that makes me WAAC.

whenever someone busts out an old school model (or army) they always get props in our group. some of the new stuff is way cool but they arent quite as special

Yeah, that sums it up pretty much. Although many of the new models are technically better than the old ones, for example the 6th edition shadow warriors when compared to the 4th edition ones, they're just not as special. Eltharion, in particular, means a lot to me, as after about a billion mock up army lists he was the one I chose to lead my first 1500pt army which I then got for my 15th birthday. Happy days :).

For me it's not much about units themselves but I really, really love the old Chaos Champions and sorcerers...

... they have much more character than many of the models these days.

Absolutely! I'm just turning my old chaos army into a daemon army, and am so happy that I kept some of those champions and sorcerors. The Slaaneshi half-snake many armed champion and slaaneshi Chaos Witch sorceror fit particularly well. I think it speaks volumes that GW have been releasing some of these models and have included photos of them in the new WOC book too.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-02-2010, 20:29
I started in 2001 with warhammer, but in that time I already collected some classic models. I have one army and I have 20k from them so I can spend some more money on the classic models since I just buy them for having them

BajsArne
07-02-2010, 20:36
I started out with space marine (the game that is) and tried collecting skaven as well. Never could afford enough of them as a kid, especially with them going second to my epic army. But I loved the models. Started buying old skaven a few years ago and probably have most of them now, except for that warlord with a warplock musket.

outbreak
07-02-2010, 21:42
I too really like the old models (im pretty new to warhammer though), when possible i buy old models just to have because they have so much more character to their sculpts. The older dwarfs look far better then the current range, i have a bunch of old dark elves (i like their old style witch elves alot, warriors are pretty cool but the new ones are better)

Rogue
07-02-2010, 21:57
Well I started about the same time 1995 with my dwarf army, and I believe that I have a few blisters of the empire as well. I still have my dwarf army of over 100 models and almost all of the old metal troops turn into characters when I need a character. They really look much better in with the 6th edition models in my opinion rather than the new dwarves that we have made now, so all of my old 4th edition models will have to serve under my dwarf armies that I am making out of the 6th edition models. This is not too shabby since I have around 8K worth of models from the 6th edition.

If I find some old warriors from that time I may look into getting them, but it is not on the top of the list for my purchases.

snottlebocket
07-02-2010, 21:59
4th edition will always be my favorite models and fluff.

I have fully 4th edition dwarf and greenskin armies and more than a few old chaos mini's.

Mjameshayter
07-02-2010, 22:13
I compleatly agree, mainly because they remind me of when i first started off and all those beginner sundays.

I also make sure i try to paint my mods in a classic fashion. painting today uses the same pallet that most video games use at the moment, Boring greys and mud browns. My armies are a colourful as i can make them.

Goblin green bases ftw

Aulbath
07-02-2010, 22:15
I also make sure i try to paint my mods in a classic fashion. painting today uses the same pallet that most video games use at the moment, Boring greys and mud browns. My armies are a colourful as i can make them.

Goblin green bases ftw

That sounds good, mate - show us some pics!

brendel
07-02-2010, 22:18
Yeah I also like the older models, I have the 4th ed white lions, alot more chunky than the 5th ed ones I have them as well, wish I had more of the older models but didn't start collecting untill 99, I have most of the models that are in the 5th ed army book except Pheniox Guard.
If I ever see anything on trade me I usally try and get it.

Hicks
07-02-2010, 22:28
I do have one army that uses only vintage models for it's infantry (Death Guard in 40K) and I can really relate to what the OP was saying.

I was in love with the models when they came out but was too young and poor to make an army of them. Now years later, I decided to get the army I always dreamed to have as a kid... the fact that current plague marine models are ***** helped too.

Baggers
07-02-2010, 22:32
I started in 96 and so have plenty of old style High Elves. I wish I had more but I need a bigger house to store them in.

Though I had a bit of a scare when a child the church youth group I help lead was going on about his collection of Warhammer and I realised I have models older than he was. :eek

Angry Lawyer
07-02-2010, 22:39
My main army is Fimir, so I've not got much choice :P

Other than that, the old 2nd edition 40k Tyranids are still my one true love, and I refuse to paint nids in newfangled coherent colour schemes.

-Angry Lawyer

Bloodknight
07-02-2010, 22:48
I've got a 2nd edition 40K Deathguard army. I like the old PMs much more than the current ones.
In WFB I collect Dogs of War - no idea how much of them would count as vintage, but most infantry that isn't a RoR is either 5th edition Empire or Battlemasters Empire, and some of the wizards are from Hero Quest ;)

Aulbath
07-02-2010, 22:57
My main army is Fimir, so I've not got much choice :P

You might know this already, but I will mention it anyway.

http://bloodmoonminis.com/images/bog/trog.jpg

Interested? Check out http://bloodmoonminis.com/index.html

Devon Harmon
08-02-2010, 05:00
Here's a link to a photo of my Daemon army: http://www.geekdo.com/image/352402/devon-harmon?size=original

With the exception of several of the fleshounds, all of the models are from the early/mid 90's. I think some of them might even be from the late 80's. I have added a unit of the newer plaguebearers and a couple of new fiends, but that's about it. I've been fond of the daemons ever since I started the hobby nearly 20 years ago.

Darsc Zacal
08-02-2010, 07:13
Vintage... Hmmmm...

Vintage sounds... Old. Maybe we can use the term classic?:eyebrows:

I'd rather be known as a classy collector than an old collector.:D

I still have my pre-Warhammer Orc army, 90+ figures, from Citadels Fantasy Tribe Orc series.

Bought new when they first came out back in early... 1982...

Wow. I have a 28 year old army.

Now I do feel like an old collector.:(

I don't have the equipment to post pics. Hopefully I will at some point.

Skywave
08-02-2010, 08:00
I started Fantasy somewhere between '96-'98, during 4th edition, and still use some models from that time!

One of my army is VC, and I can still buy vintage stuff to use. The Wraith for exemple I buyed a lot of extra models (I already had 5) to make 2 unit of 6 for the new book. Was a favorite unit of mine in 4th, so with the new book I had a reason to get more! I have 1 unit made of duplicate witch I dremeled the head to have empty hood, help make them different :) Also got the newer models for a bonus 3rd unit, can't have enough Wraith :D

I use all my 4th edition plastic Skeleton too (50-ish). It's still a great scult, perfect scale, and bare bones (pun intended) wich is perfect for any situation or conversion!

I also recently came across an old Zombie Dragon models (on Stuff of Legends I think), and it's the perfect representation of the old army book pics, and I decided that I wanted one! I'm not sure how big it is, but since I never use Zombie Dragon I don't care anyway, but I loved that pics back then, and now I want the model :D That one is definitly a collector need more that a gamer one!

And since I started an Empire army a few months ago, I got some vintage stuff for it too since there's some great old models there. I got 20-ish old Reiksguard on foot, always liked them and now had a reason to buy some! Also got some old metal characters, and the not-so-old, but-much-better (to me) 6th edition states troops (both multi-poses and the starting box spearman and hangunner).

ashc
08-02-2010, 12:48
I've found that without realizing it, I've become a collector, trying to recreate the Warhammer environment that I loved so much and which got me into this hobby back in the early 90's.

I wish I could do this :(

Lars Porsenna
08-02-2010, 14:11
Vintage? I have lots of stuff lying around, including some Citadel historicals (yes, Citadel at one time had a historical range).

I still have a few first generation Bretonnians (being used in a Hundred Years War army), a handful of 3rd edition High Elves (repackaged Melniboneans), some classic Norse and Imperial Dwarfs (the last time the dwarfs were really good...the current range is OK, but the one between 3rd edition and now -- the Rennaisance style dwarfs -- were terrible), a few Chaos warriors from 3e, but the biggest collection I have are the 4e High Elves. Yes, good times.

Damon.

Angry Lawyer
08-02-2010, 15:11
You might know this already, but I will mention it anyway.

http://bloodmoonminis.com/images/bog/trog.jpg

Interested? Check out http://bloodmoonminis.com/index.html

I already own 40 of those bad boys to use as Bestigor. Plus one as a hero. :P

-Angry Lawyer

Briohmar
08-02-2010, 17:04
I get a lot of comments on the nature of my armies when I play at my local store. Especially since some of the models are older than the majority of the players. I use a unit of converted amazons as Horrors, and my heralds are all from the 80's collection of female warriors and heros. My Warriors army uses a bunch of the Slaanesh champions, and has the old hook hand Tzeentch champion (early 80's, one of the very first slotta base models) as a mounted sorcerer (yes I cut off his dress.) And of course the first two disk riders.

For greenskins I use a unit of 30 4th ed spear gobbos, and a unit of 30 Battlemaster gobbos; well, I have added a mix of the really old metal ones as well just for some variety. I use the old Big uns command for a couple of orc boys units as well. For Empire I have a strong mix of old and new, including Battle Masters knights, metal Reiksguard (on foot and mounted) and infantry to include battle masters and the old box set halberdiers.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also have the original undead plastic legion, and the metal undying legion (with the bills and halberds) as well.

How's that for vintage?

Desert Rain
08-02-2010, 17:55
Did you manage to get your hands on the Everqueen and maiden guard then? I bought a set when they first came out, although I rarely use them in my games now as I prefer to use the old seaguard models. Looking on Ebay though, it seems that maiden guard often go for silly prices.
I have the queen and nine maids, missing one to make a real unit :(
But it's better than nothing. The old sea guard are nice too, but I don't have any of them. I think that there is a Swedish online store that still has them though.

I have one model that is older than I am, and that's pretty fun. It's some sort of female elven mage from 1988, I think it's from some sort of mercenary unit but I'm not sure. I got it for 2 so it was a real bargain and it's a nice sculpt as well.

jimbobodoll
08-02-2010, 19:08
I've just started painting a 200 model 1st generation 1980s skaven army (some of the slotta bases have 1985 on the bottom!).

I put it together because i first got into warhammer with advanced heroquest in the 1990s and though i wanted a full skaven army of these models about 15 years ago, I could never afford it as a kid...

I'm currently toying with the idea of making conversions from other 1980s models to represent certain choices in the new skaven list:
hobgoblin rocket launcher for skaven doom rocket
dwarf goblobber for skaven plague claw catapault
1980s dwarf death roller for skaven doom flayer
chaos dwarf petard for plague wind mortar
converted rock lobber for the basis of a screaming bell (not decided if this will work yet).

Any body got any other ideas for me? :D :D
Grateful for your imagination!

Nuada
08-02-2010, 20:41
Wow! That dragon is properly old... I think it was outdated even at the start of 4th edition. I've got the dragon, but don't have the rider. Do you still have him?! If so, please, please, please send a pic, as I've been trying to figure out how he balanced on that steeply inclined neck for ages!

Good to hear there are other vinatage fans out there :D.

Sorry not got the dragon or rider any more, and it wasn't a very good paint job by me anyway :p I think i tried to copy the green wings with black strips, the same as the picture on the box.

His riding saddle has the indentations of those spines on the dragons back, it all slots into place. I think it was designed so you had the option of having the dragon without a rider.

Nice model though. I had him and Skylocks archers (think that's correct)

jullevi
09-02-2010, 02:27
Lizardmen were my first army, started back in late 5th edition. Even today, the army is mostly made of 5th edition models, with only a handful of miniatures from the last two releases.

Empire was my second army in early 6th edition. It grew quickly into 2k+ points using mainly plastics, but since then I have tried to include some classic models as well. Nowadays, all my knights (about 40 models), handgunners, crossbowmen, cannons and pistoliers are from 4th edition. I also have a unit of Reiksguard on foot, War Wagon and a handful of Fighters models form late eighties, which make a unit of Swordsmen and their Halberdies detachment.

Chaos was my third army, started in 2002 with Hordes of Chaos. Since then, they have expanded the most, splitting into Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos and soon Beastmen. Overall, the chaotic collection includes more than 250 metal miniatures from at least 5 if not 6 editions of Warhammer. From vintage point of view, my favourite part is definitely Warriors of Chaos Nurgle detachment, which includes unit of 20 Chaos Warriors (http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0201rocwarriors.htm) where newest model is dated 1988, around 15 3rd edition Chaos Knights (http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c890221chaoscav.htm) with metal horses and a unit of C20 Trolls (http://www.solegends.com/citc/c20trolls.htm) from 1984.

Stegadeth
09-02-2010, 03:32
I have a lot of goblin green plastic skinks and Saurus. Those skinks were horrid, their little shortbows and bow arms sculpted right onto their little torsos. They were the first GW miniatures I ever bought by themselves even before I started playing Warhammer.

snurl
09-02-2010, 06:59
I have some Dwarf minis that are older than some of my opponents. I don't have them all - yet. :D

ftayl5
09-02-2010, 07:38
I love the days when the Greater Daemons were $20 in a blister pack... the nurgle guy had a mouth in his stomach...

Fenrir
09-02-2010, 09:41
I'm currently reworking my undead army, which dates from 4th edition. The skeletons are smashed up pretty well, so I'll be using the new models for the main blocks with the old skellies as the raised troops (doesn't matter if they are missing a limb of three, that way)

Bought new Wights, as I only had 6 of the old ones. One is a prime candidate for BSB. Everything else needs a serious stripping and redo, but it's a project I'm enjoying quite a lot. Didn't really use another army for most of the 90's, so a lot of memories when pulling the models out of the box.

In 40K, all of my Space Wolf army is the old "lead bodies with plastic arms" type. Apart from the Wolf Guard terminators - being the 100% lead ones.

My eldar are all 2nd edition too, with a few new additions here and there.

Penitent Engine
09-02-2010, 10:16
I love classic models! Unfortunately, being only 17, this poses the problem that most of them finished production before my parents met. I've recently taken to scouring the markets around my area for "vintage" sculpts. Best score so far is a 1985 Citadel Uruk Hai :)
The race whose models I like most are the classic Nurgle Daemons. I haven't actually managed to get my hands on one yet (not for lack of trying), but they look great!
Mjameshayter:
Nothing wrong with greys if you add some exciting colours to the mix, like this (http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/PenitentEngine/Miniatures%20Painting%20Showcase/?action=view&current=DSC01979.jpg)
;)

TonyFlow
09-02-2010, 11:00
Oooh nice thread!

I started collecting and playing back in 1994 i think. I started playing chaos dwarves bacj then, but i switched to regular dwarves before i had a complete army of them.

Now i have quite a large army of dwarves and all of them are 5th ed and before, except one unit of the new ironbreakers and a stone thrower. I still need to paint alot of them... the core of my army has been painted 4 times over, but recently i started expanding my force so there's alot of new stuff to paint.
I am not a fan of the way the newer dwarves look. After an 8 year break since around 2000 i came back and saw the new design and didnt like it. Seeing i needed more models to do a proper army with the new rules i had to buy some more of the old ones.

In the meantime i also bought a big lot of chaos dwarves from an old friend i started playing with so i have a full force of them as well. Included in that lot were some old orcs and now i have expanded on them as well so i have almost an orc army only consisting of the old metal models. Just need some more orcs and alot of the old metal night goblins.

Its not because i dont like the newer sculpts. Its more that i am trying to recreate what really attracted me to this hobby in the beginning and that was the creativity and humor in the old models. I dont think there is a lot of humor in the newer models.

A few years ago i moved to Beijing and the players here havent had access to warhammer until recently so they dont know much about the classic models. They still admire my armies whenever i bring them to the club.

To the OP: I have the old Marauder dragonlord (Thaindon right?) but alas... i dont have the rider anymore.

Sleazy
09-02-2010, 20:58
certainly have.

I still have my old Jes Goodwinn Eldar army (I have bought some of the nicer new figs too).

I went back a few years ago and bought myself a large choas dwarf army. I never liked them at the time but for some reason got the bug and decided I MUST have one, (I think this was started by a friend giving me a big bag of old figures which included a few). I now love my Cds.

Angelwing
10-02-2010, 03:11
Ooo, lets think.
My 4th ed chaos dwarf army. The core of my vampire counts is 4th ed. Most of my skaven is 4th ed. Bits of my tomb kings are 3rd ed.

I've always wanted a 4th ed high elf force. Alas I fear this will never be realised. I do have the heroes to lead it though! I've squirrelled away Eltharion on stormwing, a wood elf mage from the 3rd ed? chariot kit, the marauder elf mage on unicorn, a wood elf forest dragon, the everqueen (but no maiden guard. :cries: ), the mordhiem shadow warrior character and I bought the newish mage stood on the elementals. I also have a model that looks like a wood elf, carrying a dagger and a banner / staff topped with a heart.

40k wise, I have lots of 1st / 2nd ed orks, 2nd ed necrons, and all editions of tyranids. Sprinkle in 1st and 2nd ed models for my other armies like the original astropath and tech priests etc.

snurl
10-02-2010, 05:02
I find that I enjoy the hunt for these old figures. Scouring flea markets and diving into plastic bins can be fun. You never know what will turn up.

Angry Lawyer
10-02-2010, 12:04
I find that I enjoy the hunt for these old figures. Scouring flea markets and diving into plastic bins can be fun. You never know what will turn up.

I managed to pick up a 2nd edition Tyranid Lictor for a quid from my favourite flea market.

-Angry Lawyer

snurl
10-02-2010, 12:06
I managed to pick up a 2nd edition Tyranid Lictor for a quid from my favourite flea market.

-Angry Lawyer

Try the flea markets at gaming conventions for some real deals. Like this one:

www.coldwars.org

Gillburg
17-02-2010, 04:11
I have been collecting forest goblins, i have 60 metals up to now, but i need 30 more to start my new project :D

Sir_Turalyon
27-02-2010, 04:09
Majority of my Bretonnians are from 5th edition range - by far my favorite - , new models are used mostly in new units introduced in 6th (trebuchet, great weapon questors) and balanced by few 3rd edition ones I menaged to buy. Most of my Chaos Dwarfs are 3rd / 4th edition but I have no problem with reinforcing them with converted newer models, so they probably don't count.

My Orks are true vintage army, including only Gorkamorka and older Ork models as a rule (all bought afer 2003) . They have no problem with looting newer equipment and vehicles from other ranges, through. Dark Angels are more a collectors than vintage army, as reserve company includes a tactical squad from every distinctive Marines range including Space Crusade, and Deathwing has a squad from every Space Hulk edition and every 40k edition, except RT metal box. Not that I ever needed to foeld that many.

One range I love but know I won't get chance to collect are 4th/5th edition High Elves. I am fan of 4th edition plastic spearmen - it's one of rare cases when single one-piece mini pattern works better then multi part, 4th edition elves standing at attention and holding their spears in perfect synchronisation, giving impression of unit that works like one body; multi part regiment looks like unruly mob next to them. Then there is metal seaguard and their armour...

Come to think of it, most of minis I'm still buying are out of production.

Grey Mage
27-02-2010, 09:05
I still have a lil over 2000 points of lizardmen from 5th edition, and I still like them. Its taken quite a while for me to consider switching over to the new models, and I still hate the look of the horrible new stegadon *bleh!*.

Its always nice to see some of the older models around, though i admit some of them are butt-ugly, many were fun.

SilentCivilian
27-02-2010, 12:10
I have a 4th ed Orcs and Goblins army complete with the army book. Some of the modles are older then that as i started collecting back in 3rd. I even have some of the old Metal Boar boys and Wolf riders from then. Pretty small by todays standard. I cant complain as i was given some of it for free from a freind, including the old Marauder Giant. :eek:

I think i may have the High Elf Dragon rider the OP was refering too. Next time i am at my prents will dig the last of my stuff out their attic. I remember it well as it even came with full rules and points for using it on the back of the box. Can you beleive the dragon was level 3 spell caster back then!!!

castlesmadeofsand
27-02-2010, 12:20
got back into the hobby when i came accross my old models from mid 90's at a point when i was looking for a new hobby. have since been buying up old o&g stuff off ebay, all the stuff i didn'd get/couldn't afford as a kid- the marauder wyvern, a couple of rock lobbers, couple of pump wagons. also been increasing my savage orc army, have about 70 now and probably 20-30 boar boyz (and still want more!). missed out on a couple of huge forest goblin collections (70-100) on ebay last year, but have picked up about 20 since, want more. also really want some metal night gobs, and more metal orcs.

if i start any other armies it will based on old models, like the old chaos and empire. i've also always wanted to get my hands on a big old chaos dwarf army, got my brothers old stuff but he didn't have much.

the old stuff is definately whats got me back in the game.

Isha
27-02-2010, 12:58
Well - nice to see all this Ol' School luvin! :)

You should take a look in some of these brilliant plogs then -

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180276
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65856
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169601
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147828
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162784

Irish_Icicle
27-02-2010, 16:17
My wood elves have a lot of old models, I use the Duruthu model for a treeman ancient, all of my glade guard one piece, wardancers have the ocassional mohawk in them. All and all I think it adds flavor to the army, especially the Duruthu model (which is so much cooler then the current tree model). Using the older models also reminds me of how long I've been playing, and days of my mom driving me to a friend's for "warhammer wednesdays".

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 17:37
I have roughly 2000 points of late 1980's orcs, 20 Archers, 20 plastic boys with H/W shield, 10 Black Orcs, 20 Halberdiers, 10 Boar Boys, 5 trolls, assorted characters and warmachines. Rather annoyingly all of the Bolt Thrower/ Rock Lobber crew are Orcs, meaning to use them nowadays I had to buy goblin crew separately. I love each and everyone of them, even if the models aren't as well sculpted as the modern ones, and tend to be much smaller. I still trot them out in a single army from time to time for a bit of nostalgia.

I did have around 20 of the old "Champions of Chaos" chaos warriors for a while, but when I needed to rebuy my chaos army decided to bite the bullet and eBay them...made an absolute bomb on them due to sheer rarity value.

Anvilbrow
28-02-2010, 08:19
I've squirrelled away Eltharion on stormwing, a wood elf mage from the 3rd ed? chariot kit, the marauder elf mage on unicorn, a wood elf forest dragon, the everqueen (but no maiden guard. :cries: ), the mordhiem shadow warrior character and I bought the newish mage stood on the elementals. I also have a model that looks like a wood elf, carrying a dagger and a banner / staff topped with a heart.

I think the name you are looking for is Naith the Prophetess IIRC. She was part of Scarloc's Wood Elf Archers, which also included one of my favorite WE models, Glam the Laughing Warrior, a really cool wardancer. Eventually, I need to hit Ebay as I have about thirty more Maiden Guard than I need. And IMO, that Marauder Elf mage on Unicorn might have had the fugliest face ever scuplted.

I have been collecting forest goblins, i have 60 metals up to now, but i need 30 more to start my new project :D

I love these guys, I've got 16 of the spider riders, and about 160 of the littel fellas. I also have the original Marauder goblin shaman and hero on giant spiders to lead them. If I didn't hate painting so much, I'd be tempted to take them to a tournament.

got back into the hobby when i came accross my old models from mid 90's at a point when i was looking for a new hobby. have since been buying up old o&g stuff off ebay, all the stuff i didn'd get/couldn't afford as a kid- the marauder wyvern, a couple of rock lobbers, couple of pump wagons. also been increasing my savage orc army, have about 70 now and probably 20-30 boar boyz (and still want more!). missed out on a couple of huge forest goblin collections (70-100) on ebay last year, but have picked up about 20 since, want more. also really want some metal night gobs, and more metal orcs.

if i start any other armies it will based on old models, like the old chaos and empire. i've also always wanted to get my hands on a big old chaos dwarf army, got my brothers old stuff but he didn't have much.

the old stuff is definately whats got me back in the game.

Nearly my entire OnG horde (800+ models) is metal, most of it 4th edition. I loved the Kev Adams stuff back thenm before he had a "falling out" with GW. Although Brian Nelson's more recent vision of Orcs is also great work.

My Chaos Dwarf horde is the envy of many of my gaming friends.

Some of my other "vintage" favorites:

Pygmies- I use them as huntsmen in my Lustrian-themed Empire army
Nearly any 4th edition High Elf- most of my High Elf army is 4th/5th ed models
Verminlord- something about that model has always appealed to me

Over the 25-ish years I've been collecting Warhammer, I have sold so many minis that I wish dearly I still had. Now I hoard like a miser and would have to be in dire straits indeed to part with many.

Angelwing
28-02-2010, 09:06
I think the name you are looking for is Naith the Prophetess IIRC. She was part of Scarloc's Wood Elf Archers, which also included one of my favorite WE models, Glam the Laughing Warrior, a really cool wardancer. Eventually, I need to hit Ebay as I have about thirty more Maiden Guard than I need. And IMO, that Marauder Elf mage on Unicorn might have had the fugliest face ever scuplted.

Found my 'mage': Heart standard top left (http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20192wecmd-m.htm).
My mage with hawk is from the wood elf chariot (http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20205elfattchar-m.htm). I didn't know he had a cloak though...!

Seems SOL don't like the unicorn rider (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm83elfmageunicorn.htm)either.. haha. I love the mini though!

Shazarn
28-02-2010, 10:42
It may have taken me 5 years but a month ago I finally got my hands on Gotrek and Felix (http://www.leeds-nightowls.co.uk/gfx/galleries/large/2009-01-felix-gotrek.jpg). Finished painting them around 2hrs ago and couldn't be happier. Just trying to figure out how to justify a human in my slayer army... hehe

Temmy
28-02-2010, 12:24
I have an entire army of *lead* dwarfs, including dwarf bazookas, dwarf alpine ski troops, and even the Imperial Dwarfs.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
28-02-2010, 19:03
My dwarf horde ranges with models from 4th to 6th. Still, never really get to use the old dwarf spearmen much. Same with my O/G, I have a few vintage models from when I was much younger included with predominantly 6th ed stuff.

I have a full Necron raiders army (before they had a book) as well as a solid 2nd ed Tyranid force.

Shazarn
28-02-2010, 20:25
I have an entire army of *lead* dwarfs, including dwarf bazookas

I believe the technical term for my reaction to this statement is Nerdgasm

Anvilbrow
28-02-2010, 21:38
Found my 'mage': Heart standard top left (http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20192wecmd-m.htm).

Yep, that's her. Scarloc is second from the left on the next row, Glam is the furthest right on row 3, and the musician, whose name I cannot recall, is the second from the left on row 4.

I used to have all of the old (3rd ed) regiments of renown in addition to Scarloc's Archers. Bugman's Brewers (Rangers), Prince Ulther's Imperial Dwarfs (The Dragon Company), The Nightmare Legion, Harboth's Orc Archers, Ruglud's Armored Orcs, The Dark Disciples, Knights of the Cleansing Flame, Golgfag's Ogres and a couple I cannot remember.

I truly miss the bargains that were offered by Marauder Miniatures in White Dwarf. Typically entire armies for what seemed like a fortune then ~$300 for 3000 points of all lead minis...