PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch - How would do them?

boogle
07-02-2010, 23:09
Hi guys, I'm considering doing an Ordo Xenos contingent to compliment my Elysian project for Apoc sized games and was wondering which is the best way to represent Deathwatch these days, the 4 ways i can have thought about doing them are:

1) Using their old rules from WD, i still have the issue, so would have the rules to hand.

2) Use the Sternguard entry from Codex Space Marines, they have the special ammo, and also access to some nice shooting weapons, the downside is not being able to Deep Strike , but they gain access to Drop Pods)

3) Use the Legion of the Damned, how does that entry work you may ask, well the Relentless could be modifications to the weaponry to allow heavy weapons to be fired on the move, the invulnerable save is representative of their superior training and blessings against Xenos weaponry (very tenuous I know) and the Deep Striking is inkeeping with the way Deathwatch work.

4) Homebrew something using all of the above (I'm thinking about Captains and Librarians being seperate from the Squads themselves, and making the squad options a mixture of Sternguard and Grey Hunters), and give them preferred enemy to all Xenos races

So, what are people's views on the best way to represent DW at this present time?

puppetmaster24
07-02-2010, 23:11
Sternguard.
you can see they were inspired by the deathwatch rules.

bigcheese76
07-02-2010, 23:21
I can see the reasoning behind using Sternguard rules, but personally I would either just use them as standard from one of the marine varient books at the moment as Ordo Xenos are rumoured to be getting an Inquisition codex this year (keeping my fingers crossed for my Daemonhunters).
Alternatively, sit down with a group of hobbying friends and come up with some rules of your own for now, then get your local GW to have a read through and ask whether they mind you using the rules at the store. My GW is fine with some slight SoB varient rules we use, and even helped write some of them.

boogle
07-02-2010, 23:23
As it will be for Apoc, i suspect my gaming group won't mind me running some stuff past them

Worsle
08-02-2010, 00:30
There have been no rumours of ordo xenos, or at least no rumours worth listening too. If you are wanting to write your own rules for apoc try and track down the old pdf kill team rules. If you use the SM charicters and sternguard to help guide you along you should come up with something reasonable enough for apocalypse.

If you want to field a deathwatch army in a normal game I would not expect anything other than the SM codex. Just lean heavily on sternguard and you will get what you are after.

boogle
08-02-2010, 00:33
As the DW will be fielded with my IG, they wouldn't be used in a normal game

Tourniquet
08-02-2010, 00:40
Could always go with GK in power armour rules.

boogle
08-02-2010, 00:49
Not sure how they would work in terms of GK = DW

Tourniquet
08-02-2010, 01:01
Storm Bolters = Special shot boltguns (the DW did have options to take SB on marines as well if i recall)
Their Weapons = Some anti Xenos Weapon
Incinerators = Special anti xenos (see tyranids ect.) flamers

boogle
08-02-2010, 01:46
The upgrade Veterans could take a Bolter and PW, but only the Captain/Librarian could take a Storm Bolter

Thud
08-02-2010, 02:50
I'd say Sternguard would be your best bet, along with a couple of Librarians. They're basically regular Marines with some extra shiny bullets, which is exactly the same as Deathwatch (plus a snazzy black paintjob).

grissom2006
08-02-2010, 08:12
Sternguard.

LotD and GK simply do not cut it that well and GK's would need to be reworked a lot to make a good DW rule set.

AndrewGPaul
08-02-2010, 08:25
If this is just for personal consumption, Innocence Proves Nothing features a Deathwatch Techmarine at one point. You could pretty much choose anything from Codex: Space Marines and paint it black with a silver left arm. :)

troszkowsky
08-02-2010, 08:51
If this is just for personal consumption, Innocence Proves Nothing features a Deathwatch Techmarine at one point. You could pretty much choose anything from Codex: Space Marines and paint it black with a silver left arm. :)

Both of those new Dark Heresy-type Calixis Sector/Inquisitor Carolus novels have Deathwatch cameo appearances (and so does Eisenhorn, if I recall correctly). And I think it's the Librarian that has the most attention in the second novel you mentioned above. They also deploy in a Drop Pod at the end, which was kinda cool.

Using C:SM as it stands sounds good, and having an elite Sternguard wing would be a nice addition. Since it's for Apoc games, the FoC is out the window anyways, so call them what you will.

On a similar subject, I am currently considering removing the SoB legs from the Immolator top gun placement, and replacing it with some Marine Biker legs, adding some heavy weapon arms from a Rhino hatch, using the heavy bolters, and calling it a Deathwatch Razorback with a 'manned' turret (It's already missing the cool top plate, since it is on my DA Vindicator conversion I did from the UK Site before the new Vindicator kit came out). Using the heavy flamers from the kit would be cool too, but since I plan on using the Marine Codex, I'm not going to push it.

I say do it your way.

-T

EDIT: I just remembered that Warrior Brood has a whole lot of Deathwatch as well - including Drop Podding ones again.

WinglessVT2
08-02-2010, 09:29
Sternguard are a better version of the deathwatch.

Petay1985
08-02-2010, 09:35
Personally i would use them as sternguard!

For my games / gaming group we have created a deathwatch unit available as an allied force for Imperial Armies in a 5th edition style. This is basically a sternguard squad with the option to purchase a Suspensor unit (reworked gun profile as an assault weapon) and hellfire shells (see scout entry) for the heavy bolter and if number 10models a second marine may have access to the sergeant's wargear, to which we have added twin lightning claws.
Further to this we have allowed the sergeant to be upgraded to a librarian, using the space marine entry, for 'x' amount of points.

The principle idea being that without the librarian you can take them as an elites choice allie, with the librarian upgrade character they are taken as a HQ choice.

boogle
08-02-2010, 12:11
Personally i would use them as sternguard!

For my games / gaming group we have created a deathwatch unit available as an allied force for Imperial Armies in a 5th edition style. This is basically a sternguard squad with the option to purchase a Suspensor unit (reworked gun profile as an assault weapon) and hellfire shells (see scout entry) for the heavy bolter and if number 10models a second marine may have access to the sergeant's wargear, to which we have added twin lightning claws.
Further to this we have allowed the sergeant to be upgraded to a librarian, using the space marine entry, for 'x' amount of points.

The principle idea being that without the librarian you can take them as an elites choice allie, with the librarian upgrade character they are taken as a HQ choice.

I was thinking along the same lines this morning, i'm going to mull things over then produce a datasheet and let people critique it, along with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Datasheet too!!!

aka_mythos
08-02-2010, 13:40
Sternguard are a better version of the deathwatch.

Unless you want Librarians as Sgt. and power weapon, lightning claw, and power fist options for all the squad members.

I think Sterguard are currently the best way to represent Deathwatch.

For my Ordo Xenos strike force, I've taken "Pedro Cantor" with an honorguard squad with aux-grenade launchers, 3 sternguard squads, and 2 Sniper Scout squads (Ordo Xenos love their needle weapons). The rest of the force can really be anything. I go with multiple thunderfire cannons which help to represents the Adeptus Mechanicus' ties to the Deathwatch and have good "synergy" with the Scouts.

MadHatter
08-02-2010, 13:41
use them as they were written. it is for an apoc game and they are not so over powering in an apoc game. I would allow it in a game.
for those who want it, write it on a data sheet and fifty points to the points in the white dwarf and call it. good. See you on the battle field.

Petay1985
08-02-2010, 14:34
I was thinking along the same lines this morning, i'm going to mull things over then produce a datasheet and let people critique it, along with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Datasheet too!!!

Indeed we have our own codex inquisiton that we run, its still under going some play testing, re-writes and needs concreting but the ordo xenos elements we have in that work really nicely!!

Unless you want Librarians as Sgt. and power weapon, lightning claw, and power fist options for all the squad members.

I think Sterguard are currently the best way to represent Deathwatch.

For my Ordo Xenos strike force, I've taken "Pedro Cantor" with an honorguard squad with aux-grenade launchers, 3 sternguard squads, and 2 Sniper Scout squads (Ordo Xenos love their needle weapons). The rest of the force can really be anything. I go with multiple thunderfire cannons which help to represents the Adeptus Mechanicus' ties to the Deathwatch and have good "synergy" with the Scouts.

I was planning on doing something very similar, pedro, 2x sternguard, scouts, a dread and a couple of thunderfires. nice! :)