PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Be the Only One

kellymatthew37
08-02-2010, 05:33
So i feel that i cant be the only one here that feels this way and i was simply wondering if there wer others that felt this way. Every time there is a new codex that comes out there are just a plethora of people just whinning away all day and night. Fine in all honsty i have been a nid player since second edition i think. and yes there new codex does have its faults but eh ones out there that get me th most and i see them for each codex are the peeps that alwasy want something in a new dex that goes completly aginst the flow of the army. For example one posted that the Tua need some new uber CC unit... why? they are a shotty army? if you dont like play bugs, Kroot are decent and actually fit there fluff. Any way this is probly more of a rant and for that i am sorry but i can help but feel like there are more of me out there. If any one has examples please share, or fellow ranters feel free. to just get it out. on a lighter note i hope yall have a good one

TheWarSmith
08-02-2010, 05:43
Playing Nids since 2nd edition and still haven't found the time to learn to spell/type? Please try to use proper grammar and spelling here.

That aside, you're right. I'm not even going to mention anything specific about the Tyranids codex, because there's no point.

There will always be people whining, on one side of the fence or the other, that the new codex is way too good, or way too underpowered. I just tune them all out typically.

Pink Horror
08-02-2010, 06:02
It is hard to take criticism seriously when it is typed like a 15-year-old girl posting on a Facebook wall.

TheWarSmith
08-02-2010, 06:04
It is hard to take criticism seriously when it is typed like a 15-year-old girl posting on a Facebook wall.

Which means he/she was roughly 4-5 when Tyranids were in 2nd edition.

jason_sation
08-02-2010, 06:05
I don't mind the complaints, if only there was just one thread of it!

Tokugawa100
08-02-2010, 06:09
I notice it, but I enjoy it because its great to argue on the internet.;)

Im joking of course, I dont mind critiscism people give to new armies, its just when about 50 threads pop up on the same problem over and over.

WodenMHC
08-02-2010, 06:22
The ironic truth is that (here) we often argue -about- arguing. Hilarity to no end.

MajorWesJanson
08-02-2010, 06:24
Some people complain because if they do so loudly enough, they get attention. not the type of attention that will generally fix anything (with a few exceptions) but attention that feeds their ego and makes them happy.

Me, I just like to debate/argue sometimes. I occasionally take extreme positions just for the fun of it. Debates can be fun, but sometimes it is even more fun to be part of the lunatic fringe.

darker4308
08-02-2010, 06:32
In the absence of significant statistical work on the warhammer 40k codeies done by a respected university or company there really is a significant amount of product pushed out by GW that is for all intensive purposes crap. The codeies also are typically written quickly and pushed out the door without significant beta testing. Hense, people get pissed. It all serves us right for playing this silly game now doesn't it. :)

grissom2006
08-02-2010, 08:02
It's a fact of life on here and in GW circles that every new Codex or Armybook brings out the whins and moans of over powered etc. Then give them a few months and most of those moans and whins turn to groans and moans about how under powered it is.

Problem is to often a lot of a Codex or Armybook gets over hyped and then the reality sinks in once released. Then they find out it really isn't that great as some made out or as bad as others say.

Have to agree though on one thing GW doesn't test them anywhere near enough and correct the problems before they arise. I know they can't cover every little thing in the rules but the need to cover the basics in them better than they do. After all having a 6 page long FAQ like the SW one just screams out we didn't think a lot of this through fully when we worded some of it.

Griffindale
08-02-2010, 08:19
You'll get used to it man. Just enjoy yourself. Don'
t worry about everyone else.

AndrewGPaul
08-02-2010, 08:35
There's a simple solution to this minor problem.

Stop reading Warhammer 40,000 General Discussion. Or at least threads with "Tyranid" in the title.

Corrode
08-02-2010, 12:07
In the absence of significant statistical work on the warhammer 40k codeies done by a respected university or company there really is a significant amount of product pushed out by GW that is for all intensive purposes crap. The codeies also are typically written quickly and pushed out the door without significant beta testing. Hense, people get pissed. It all serves us right for playing this silly game now doesn't it. :)

There is no such phrase as 'intensive purposes'. I assume you meant 'intents and purposes.' When complaining about the lack of proper testing and editing in codices it's often best to get these things right.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-02-2010, 13:03
There is always whining about new rules (usually both ways). There is also always whining about the ensuing whining. I've never understood why the latter don't see the inherent hypocrisy in whining about people whining.

azimaith
08-02-2010, 13:15
So i feel that i cant be the only one here that feels this way and i was simply wondering if there wer others that felt this way. Every time there is a new codex that comes out there are just a plethora of people just whinning away all day and night. Fine in all honsty i have been a nid player since second edition i think. and yes there new codex does have its faults but eh ones out there that get me th most and i see them for each codex are the peeps that alwasy want something in a new dex that goes completly aginst the flow of the army. For example one posted that the Tua need some new uber CC unit... why? they are a shotty army? if you dont like play bugs, Kroot are decent and actually fit there fluff. Any way this is probly more of a rant and for that i am sorry but i can help but feel like there are more of me out there. If any one has examples please share, or fellow ranters feel free. to just get it out. on a lighter note i hope yall have a good one

You had a nice long time to pat yourself on the back there?

When a new codex comes out people split into three groups:
1: The new codex is horrible, everything sucks, nothing will ever work, the army is ruined, Oh woe is me.

2: The new codex is ok, something are bad, some things are good.

3: The new codex is fantastic and I win every single game with ten percent of the points cost my opponent plays with. Its so awesome that now I've got oil slathered super models hanging all over me but I'm all like, "Naw, I'm saving myself to have GW's baby."

Most of us fall into the middle category at which point people from number one mostly ignore anything good we say and parrot anything bad in an attempt to find solidarity and people from group three typically call us whiners and then go on to screech how everyone whose possibly upset about anything is some kind of power gaming baby rapist.

Honestly the people from group three are just as stupid as the ones from group one but group three tends to get more annoying because they then go on to mimic group one by complaining endlessly about anyone complaining about anything else turning threads that could be used to legitimately discuss anything into flame fests.

Consequently they also go on to make threads where they pat themselves on the back and hope they can get other people to do the same to them as if they're some sort of brave hero standing against a horde of uniformed imbeciles. Sort of like this thread actually.

MadHatter
08-02-2010, 13:27
i just ignore the complaints and do not read the rumors. I understand not everyone is going to be happy with the new codex, including myself because people do not want to make changes. I also understand the anger of a model being made unusable because it no longer fits within the rules.
Rumors are just that, so until the codex is printed and for sale i chose not to get excited to only find out that the idea was someones wishful thinking, or it was something simply cut from the final codex.
My suggestion is to simply ignore it and skip to the next post or even the next discussion.

the1stpip
08-02-2010, 16:07
If people have a real grievence, I have no problem.

I have issues who whine about how their codex is crap, weeks before it is released and before they have even seen it, just cos someone on the net said so.

WarhammerNoob4ever
08-02-2010, 16:11
I have issues who whine about how their codex is crap, weeks before it is released and before they have even seen it, just cos someone on the net said so.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Cheitan Shadowless
08-02-2010, 16:13
The beauty of this thread is that the OP will almost certainly not post any further comments in it whatsoever. If I didn't know better, I'd be tempted to call trolling.

Col. Dash
08-02-2010, 16:20
Its just like one of my other hobbies. Only when showing off things are they good. It more interesting to complain about when things dont work and hope someone will throw a cookie out and agree with them. Bad news is good news. True good news doesnt make the news.

Illiterate Scribe
08-02-2010, 16:35
Because Warseer.

Max Jet
08-02-2010, 17:03
In case you don't bother reading the last page.

You had a nice long time to pat yourself on the back there?

When a new codex comes out people split into three groups:
1: The new codex is horrible, everything sucks, nothing will ever work, the army is ruined, Oh woe is me.

2: The new codex is ok, something are bad, some things are good.

3: The new codex is fantastic and I win every single game with ten percent of the points cost my opponent plays with. Its so awesome that now I've got oil slathered super models hanging all over me but I'm all like, "Naw, I'm saving myself to have GW's baby."

Most of us fall into the middle category at which point people from number one mostly ignore anything good we say and parrot anything bad in an attempt to find solidarity and people from group three typically call us whiners and then go on to screech how everyone whose possibly upset about anything is some kind of power gaming baby rapist.

Honestly the people from group three are just as stupid as the ones from group one but group three tends to get more annoying because they then go on to mimic group one by complaining endlessly about anyone complaining about anything else turning threads that could be used to legitimately discuss anything into flame fests.

Consequently they also go on to make threads where they pat themselves on the back and hope they can get other people to do the same to them as if they're some sort of brave hero standing against a horde of uniformed imbeciles. Sort of like this thread actually.

Although I am not quite sure I got the original post 100% right, this post pretty much summarizes or humble discussions and answers the most obvious question. By the way there is a thin line between whining and providing facts and arguments.

There is nothing more to say.

shandy
08-02-2010, 17:14
What makes me smile is a sub group of 1. The "GW clearly didn't playtest this, even only they had done they would not have made such a mistake etc etc". This done before the codex is even out or within the first week or so. If you are going to use the playtest argument at least ensure you playtest it yourself.

grg3d
08-02-2010, 18:44
Whatís funny to me is itís starting to swing the other way with Tyranids

Oh The Doom is so broken

Tyranid weapons donít stack because if they do itís broken
And so onÖ:p

catbarf
08-02-2010, 20:37
People always whine about new codexes. The simple fact, though, is that the last time the whining was 'Wow, this army sucks' rather than 'Wow, this army is brokenly overpowered' was when the Chaos codex was released.

Time sure hasn't made that book look good, now has it?

Pink Horror
10-02-2010, 07:21
Time sure hasn't made that book look good, now has it?

Tell that to my lash princes and plague marines and obliterators... :evilgrin:

Please, tell it to them, because they are so lonely. Nobody likes them anymore. The rest of their friends have disappeared. The lash princes keep asking about what happened to the alpha legion, the plague marines boast about being elite members of long lost death guard, and the obliterators remember artillery support and characterful technicians amongst their legions. :cries:

LonelyPath
10-02-2010, 15:06
People have the right to whine so they will. The whiners are also (usually) among the minority, but tend to make the most noise.

And yes, it does bug me when people whine about a codex before its release, basing their complaints on a leaked edition that may or may not be the final draft.

Deadnight
10-02-2010, 15:48
*shrug* its warseer, at the end of the day. as a forum, its well known for featuring tremendous amounts of whine. then you've got a huge majority of posters who dont "get" balance, design philosophies, and tend to copy/paste views from other geeks on the interwebs.

its no wonder i prefer playing warmachine. everything is cheesy!

Fallenity
10-02-2010, 16:02
If there wouldn't be differences of opinion concerning codices and armies, everyone would just play with the same army.

Of course the fact that these opinions are usually presented as hyperboles and strongly exaggerated is just an attempt to get your opinion heard.

Fixer
10-02-2010, 16:24
Ahh, the Internet. Where people can say that any legitimate complaint is a whine :)

"My Toyota's accelerator stuck to the floor, I crashed and killed my entire family, while I myself am now paralysed for life. I don't know how I'm going to carry on living with myself... I wish I could just die!"

"Stop whining, Learn how to drive noob. My own car is stuck at driving 150MPH at all times. I've never had an accident, in fact I won 3 drag races simply by accident when heading to the shops. I also killed my entire family, their friends and anyone remotely connected to them on purpose and I don't feel a shred of remorse and despite being a brain in a Jar linked up a device that simulates the entire human body's pain receptors burning with the heat of a thousand suns I think life is great and can't possibly see ending it."

Ianos
10-02-2010, 16:54
Ahh, the Internet. Where people can say that any legitimate complaint is a whine :)

Thing is, this thread is about whining about whiners, which according to you can be a legit complaint, which makes your observation fruitless.:D

P.S. As much as i understand the irony of the rest of your post, i do find it a bit shocking, especially when in reality there is simply no comparison between wargame stress and life/death situations.

Fixer
10-02-2010, 17:05
I started off with a comparison with shoddy football boots breaking ankles but I felt that massive exaggeration would be better.

Point is that a lot of these 'stop whining' threads are less about the 'whining' and more about people going 'I'm awesome and you suck but I'm not going to back that up with any evidence'.

booma
10-02-2010, 17:14
I agree there...:rolleyes:

look at the earlier posts that cant help but be superior to the person who mailed first. Little victories i guess lol.

It would be nice just to have a discusiion with out it devolving.
It would be nice if people just sucked it up and stopped moning, however, we all love this and invest emmotional feelings and time and effort in it so its expected that people react randomly and lowdly. :)

Drakcore Bloodtear
10-02-2010, 19:32
What I find rather ironic is that the moaners, are moaning about the true moaners

And soon enough it'll get out of hand and some guy will start moaning, about the moaners, who were moaning at the original moaners

And it will continue for 38 millenniums intil the Emperor is born and we all become ULTRAMARINES!!! And rule the galaxy

(Except the moaners who get to become Tyranids and cry for the rest of their lives :p)

Kroot Lord
10-02-2010, 21:14

You know, you've added so much to this thread! In fact, your contribution has made GrammarNaziSeer a better place. I mean, compared to the original poster, who obviously didn't attempt to start up a meaningful discussion with this thread, your post was really meaningful.

Really, if you're going to whine about other people's spelling, at least make some attempt at contributing to the forums and the people that support them, rather than giving yourself a sense of self righteousness by slapping down others who might live five thousand miles away, through the use of the Internet. You've really managed to checkmate this random guy. 1-0 to you. Congratulations!

To the original poster:

This is human nature, I suppose. A new computer comes out, a lot of people like it, a lot of people don't like it, but the majority don't go on internet and whine about it. Unfortunately, those that do go online, such as with war games, tend to take their hobbies a bit more serious than others who don't, and thus take more offense when something comes out that doesn't seem to "fit" in their minds. They take a more personal stance, and through the use of the Internet, broadcast it to thousands of others. In turn, these think the majority of the people whine. True, the majority of the people on the internet whine, but when you compare it to those who don't whine in real life, it's a very small proportion. It's really not that bad. Just don't think too much of it. Plus, it's not like you should care if Bob from New Zealand is unhappy with his Tyranids because he can't play and all Genestealer force anymore.

Hoodwink
10-02-2010, 21:26

"My Toyota's accelerator stuck to the floor, I crashed and killed my entire family, while I myself am now paralysed for life. I don't know how I'm going to carry on living with myself... I wish I could just die!"

"Stop whining, Learn how to drive noob. My own car is stuck at driving 150MPH at all times. I've never had an accident, in fact I won 3 drag races simply by accident when heading to the shops. I also killed my entire family, their friends and anyone remotely connected to them on purpose and I don't feel a shred of remorse and despite being a brain in a Jar linked up a device that simulates the entire human body's pain receptors burning with the heat of a thousand suns I think life is great and can't possibly see ending it."

LOL Shifting to neutral ftw. I'd had to do that before with another car. Not a valid argument when people are taught (or should have been taught) what to do in case of that very situation.

Only problem, is that is a situation that can be taken to the mechanic and fixed. A bad codex can't :P

DuskRaider
11-02-2010, 00:41
Actually, you ARE the only one. Sorry.

BobTheZombie
11-02-2010, 01:14

There does seem to be a tendency to characterise negative opinions about a codex or release as whining, which to me is often lazy and counter-productive. Some people of course exaggerate and lose perspective, but such posts are often lumped in with people expressing their disappointment by putting forward a well formulated argument. By defining people as "fanboys" or "whiners", there becomes a rather unnecessary us v them mindset which is not conducive to intelligent discussion.

Also, @ Krootlord- I'm not sure your sarcastic rant contributed any more than Pink Horror's post. There are far more civil ways to express disapproval.

Kroot Lord
11-02-2010, 18:01
Also, @ Krootlord- I'm not sure your sarcastic rant contributed any more than Pink Horror's post. There are far more civil ways to express disapproval.

Did you bother reading the second half of my post or did you just stop halfway through because you couldn't be stuffed? I made my contribution to this thread.

BobTheZombie
11-02-2010, 19:25
Did you bother reading the second half of my post or did you just stop halfway through because you couldn't be stuffed? I made my contribution to this thread.

I did read it, yes. I didn't object to it, and it didn't alter the first half of your post so I didn't refer to it. I don't think the best way to object to a rude post is to be rude, that is all. I'm not seeking to provoke argument, and am willing to discuss this via PM should it be necessary so as not to derail the thread.

How do people think complaints about a codex should be framed to avoid perception of moaning/whining?