PDA

View Full Version : 1 (and a half) Question(s) about models for Chaos Daemon heralds

Desalbert
09-02-2010, 00:22
Just a quick question here as I start my Chaos Daemon force:

Are character models like The Masque, Skulltaker, and Epidemus legally usable as regular, non-heralds for their particular God? Their abilities seem somewhat similar and in the case of Epidemus, he IS on a Pallanquin just like the herald might be. So they seem to be offered for just this reason in some cases...

However, I would certainly see it rejected and their role being strictly as Special characters.... because these 3 ARE supposed to be unique (including in look). If this is indeed the case, I have another question:

I'm wondering what other legal options I might have for Slaanshi, Nurgle and Tzeentch Herald models. I don't want to convert either-- so are there any GW models that would be accepted as a herald from other army ranges?

Thanks for indulging me yet again,
Des

Mannimarco
09-02-2010, 00:32
khorne herald: forgeworlds Uraka Warfiend comes with one, some people sell him on ebay and just keep Uraka as the herald doesnt have any rules, hes just a neat model

same goes for mamon and his little slug dude

for a slaanesh herald look no further than dechala the denied one although you could possibly get away with somthing from the dark elf/eldar range but that would mean converting

failing that see if you can get your hands on the old style daemon champions, the big mscular bloodletter makes a fine looking herald in amongst those scrawny gangly looking beasts calling themselves bloodletters nowadays (and before anybody jumps in I know the classic bloodletters look closer to the new style ones)

Ozendorph
09-02-2010, 00:34
I can't see how there would be a problem using any of those models as generic heralds, provided you point it out to your opponent prior to the game.

the_picto
09-02-2010, 00:41
The warmaster greater daemons are the right size for heralds. The tzeentch one is anyway, so I assume the slaanesh and nurgle ones are too.

I second the advice of buying the forgeworld khorne herald. The daemon prince is pretty awesome too, and can be used as a bloodthirster with the addition of wings.

primarch16
09-02-2010, 01:13
Both my Tzeentch heralds are from the fantasy warriors of chaos range, the chaos sorcerer (not bad, as he looks a lot like a horror in robes) and the Tzeentch sorcerer. Both make good heralds, great to paint aswell. My herald of khorne is a beastmen lord (with great weapon) another fantastic model, fits my bloodletters well too (considering they are beastmen!)

Mannimarco
09-02-2010, 01:14
as a side note on forgeworld models, if your group is cool then go for the princes themselves as well as the heralds (will save time waiting on one turning up on ebay), they are hq level princes (not heavy support) and are actually quite good on the table

Desalbert
09-02-2010, 01:47
Intersting suggestions! Would most of you rather someone didn't use the Masque model as a regular herald then? (for example)

What if I threw in this caveat also: No conversions or forgeworld-- just the regular retail GW...any acceptable herald models out there?

@Primarch16 Yeah I was looking at that as well, the uh, the bird faced sorcerer in the cloak looks like a good herald

primarch16
09-02-2010, 02:15
Wouldnt really bother me, not putting a herald on a chariot is normally a big mistake anyway.

Chem-Dog
09-02-2010, 03:26
I wouldn't mind, but personally I think the heralds are one of the few times you can put a bit of personality into the Daemon army and you should take that opportunity to do something a little bit special with them, My slaaneshi Herald is a Vampire/Necron/Beastman hybrid...

DuskRaider
09-02-2010, 05:04
I'll also throw down the FW Herald of Khorne idea. I've got one myself, excellent model. Made him into my own Skulltaker too, using Zhufor's cape and gluing halved skulls to it. Awesome model and can be used as a regular Herald without much issue.

For Slaanesh I've heard of being using Sigfried or whatever his name is, the WFB Champion. He may be human-looking, but he'd embody Slaanesh's idea of perfection, or could be his glammer at work.

Desalbert
09-02-2010, 05:38
For Slaanesh I've heard of being using Sigfried or whatever his name is, the WFB Champion. He may be human-looking, but he'd embody Slaanesh's idea of perfection, or could be his glammer at work.

Do you know (or does anyone know) if Sigvald's head comes as a seperate peice with him? I was looking at that idea earlier but was thinking about doing a very light conversion, head-swap if possible.

Obviously though, you're right on with Sigvald... even for Tzeentch actually too, as I believe I read in the codex that Tzeentch may even take human form to see plans come to fruition... --- Yeah, actually page 31 of the Lord of Change in the 40k Daemon 'dex... "They often take the guise of mortals..."

Hmmm...now Sigvald-- or any suitable human--- might be an interesting base model for a Tzeentch herald, taking page 31 into consideration...:shifty:

druchii
09-02-2010, 05:58
Just a quick question here as I start my Chaos Daemon force:

Are character models like The Masque, Skulltaker, and Epidemus legally usable as regular, non-heralds for their particular God? Their abilities seem somewhat similar and in the case of Epidemus, he IS on a Pallanquin just like the herald might be. So they seem to be offered for just this reason in some cases...

However, I would certainly see it rejected and their role being strictly as Special characters.... because these 3 ARE supposed to be unique (including in look). If this is indeed the case, I have another question:

I'm wondering what other legal options I might have for Slaanshi, Nurgle and Tzeentch Herald models. I don't want to convert either-- so are there any GW models that would be accepted as a herald from other army ranges?

Thanks for indulging me yet again,
Des

Here's a brief list:
Any older metal demon model would be perfect for a new-age herald. I use the second edition Khorne and Slaanesh demon models for my heralds (the "furry", double handed ax wielding, hoofed khrone demon, and the oldschool "crab claw" demonette with a chainmail skirt/bikini).

Almost any metal Chaos Mortals model will work well, something that is "distinct" from the basic demons, but painted appropriate colors.

The new plastic demon sets, just painted accordingly. You'd be surprised how cool a brass colored Bloodletter on a chariot looks.

d

ps. it's a shame you won't convert anything, Heralds are the best and easiest place to pull off some amazing conversions!

ashc
09-02-2010, 10:03
Fantasy Chaos Warriors (particularly some of the old metal mutated ones) make excellent Daemonic Heralds for both games.

I do not see people having a problem with using the special characters as heralds too, just as long as you tell your opponent what they are first.

Cheeslord
09-02-2010, 14:03
Personally I use a Daemonette (current plastic series) with the big claws and hair as a Herald of Slaanesh, although when I make a Tzeentch herald I will not use a Horror as they are too much like beasts/blobmonsters - I am looking at a champion of Tzeentch from the Fantasy Warriors of Chaos set.

Mark.

gwarsh41
09-02-2010, 14:35
I use fantasy chaos warriors and chaos marines as a mix for my heralds. I threw in some fluff that it is no human in the armor, simply the essence of chaos. so for nurgle I explain that its a suite filled with poo. My tzeentch herald is a 40k chaos scorcerer on a fantasy chariot. It too no conversion aside from cutting the metal flab off the bottom of the marines legs, and it got a decent amount of attention and praise from people at the last tourney. I am planning on putting tyranid gargoyle wings on the horses or the marine, just for some added oomph.