PDA

View Full Version : SM dread force or kanz?

Boss Zagstruk
09-02-2010, 00:33
Ive been considering a salamanders amry or an ork army for some time. Both lists would be dread heavy as ive always been a fan (even before today pre releases appeared on the net). Thats mainly at catalyst in this case. While i do want a dread heavy list how do they fair?

If i was running a salamanders list id have vulkan, MOTF, 3 dread with mm and hf and 2 ironclads and one unit of assault termies deepstriking then fill it out with tact squads. But how do i deploy them? drop pod or let they footslog it across the field which doesnt seem effective. If drop podding is that best tactic i think ill be very poor afterwards :( Or could i just drop pod the 2 ironclads? Id like to take full advantage of vulkan and would want a very themed list.

If id was to go mek id include two big meks with KFF and get two deff dreds, 9 killa kans and probably some lootas for the mek theme. Id fill out on boyz to and march the lot across the field. This seems viable due to 2 KFF. However i have no idea how to equip deff dreds and kans :( suggestions please.

Anyways pros and cons of both lists would be great :)

252nd Fire Dragoon
09-02-2010, 01:20
Aloha,
Well, GW just released great models for orks, So i'd be leaning that way :).

primarch16
09-02-2010, 02:19
Hmm the kans have ACE models coming that are wicked cheap, would look great on the field. Play style seems a little lame though, run forward and mash stuff up.

Dreadnoughts are always good, more the better. Though the force would be pretty small, think I would drop pod it (or just the iron clads as you say).

Hmm I'd go with the kans, mainly because I dislike Vulkan (too much of an iwin button character)

IcedAnimals
09-02-2010, 02:38
I would go for a mass Kan force with mekboys and kustom force fields. its a wicked strong combo and the new ork walkers are sick.

The Marshel
09-02-2010, 03:39
there is some killa kan weapon called the grotzooka or something, i don't remember much about it, but i do remember that is is by far the best ranged weapon they got.

edit: found it, its a heavy 2 blast weapon witha respectable strength and not to shabby ap

Desalbert
09-02-2010, 04:39
Agreed with Primarch, the new Kanz are fantastic models, and surprisingly well priced considering you appear to get 3 in a box. Fantastic model, great price point.

Go Orks, probably painted in a Goff scheme you're partial to the klanz that exist. Regardless though, take Orks for this idea.... you'll be ded 'ard an' stompy! ;)

I know I'll be picking them up for my Ork army!

DuskRaider
09-02-2010, 05:01
I regularly throw down a Dread Mob list. Lower point games you can totally demolish an opponent easily since they have little to deal with 11 walkers (2 Dreads as Troops and 9 Kans as heavy). With those and the 2 Big Meks you need kitted out (PK, KFF, 'Eavy Armor, Cybork) you come to just below 900 points, so you can actually throw a Dread Mob down in a 1000 point game.
If you decide to do this, I recommend ALL Killa Kans have Grotzookas. Why? Because. You'll have a Big Mek w/ KFF giving ALL Walkers a 4+ Cover Save (Obscured) moving up the board and once you're in range, you can drop 18 blast templates down a turn. Sound nasty? It is.
I personally use Deff Dreads with 4 DCCWs. They'll benefit from the KFF, making them nigh unstoppable running up the board. Once they slam into your opponent's lines, they'll tear pretty much anything apart most of the time. They make short work of tanks, and they're surprisingly cheap, so it's not a huge deal if one drops.

TheDarkSaint
09-02-2010, 06:00
I'm curious about something. A KFF gives vehicles obscured. In the rules, obscured says make the cover save of the terrain that gives the vehical obscured (a forest is 4+). KFF gives a 5+ cover save. Where is everyone getting this 4+ cover save for Kanz?

Tethylis
09-02-2010, 06:02
Good advice from DuskRaider there, Grotzookas & 4 DCCW's really are the best weapons for kanz & deffdreads. I like to slap on some armour plates & grot riggers on the deffdreads too just to keep them moving in case of stunned/immobilized hits

Gutzmek
09-02-2010, 07:01
If you want to avoid converting/e baying/spamming/beg/barrow/stealing grotzookas may I suggest the humble KMB. It delivers a single St8 Ap2 shot at a grot's BS3 6in' farther than a Grotzooka(gz are St6 Ap5). Mounted on a walker it looses 'Gets Hot' and a single squad would help take out harder stuff. only downside is it's 10 points more than a Gz.

EDIT: rokkets a cheaper than KMBs, but your AP is reduced by 1. Skorchas are cheaper than Gzs and great against units you want to thin down before you assault.

SeriousCat
09-02-2010, 09:06
Go Green--as in Orks: the only true green--if you want hordes and hordes of mechanised armour.

Boss Zagstruk
09-02-2010, 09:44
Thanks guys for the responses :) I think ill go with an ork mob. By the looks of it you only get 1 grotzooka per box so i may field one unit of them and one unit with CMB for amour cracking ability. Maybe rokkits or big shootas on the last unit. Think ill try and make a list now :) Think ill try a 1500pt list and try to fit in a couple of units of orks and maybe a grot unit and lootas

ashc
09-02-2010, 10:01
Thanks guys for the responses :) I think ill go with an ork mob. By the looks of it you only get 1 grotzooka per box so i may field one unit of them and one unit with CMB for amour cracking ability. Maybe rokkits or big shootas on the last unit. Think ill try and make a list now :) Think ill try a 1500pt list and try to fit in a couple of units of orks and maybe a grot unit and lootas

But you are Orks, you can convert Grotzookas from ANYTHING.

ANYTHING. :cool:

Brucopeloso
09-02-2010, 10:16

Remember that if you field a big Mek one Deff dread will count as a troop choice...................;)

destroyerlord
09-02-2010, 10:23
or big shootas
I don't think that is such a good idea, unless you need to scrape some points out of the list. Scorchas are much better at thinning troops out. Remember you will have spare weapons left over from the deff dread boxes if you build them with 4 dccws. No spare scrap launchers though...

Remember that if you field a big Mek one Deff dread will count as a troop choice...................
He did say that was his intention in the OP. (actually says 2 big meks and 2 deff dreads)

Jagged
09-02-2010, 11:34
I shall definitely be getting the new Ork Dread and Kan boxes. Not sure how often they will see the battle field since my FoC is kinda full.

Still it will be nice for the odd Apocalypse game to have a Dread Mob with 2 dreads, 6 kanz and one stompa :)

Karhedron
09-02-2010, 14:39
May I suggest taking a look at the new Blood Angels codex when it comes out? BA Dreadnoughts in drop pods become Fast attack and they can even take Librarian Dreanoughts. Now that offers some serious possibilities to fill up the force org chart. :evilgrin:

SonOfSquee
09-02-2010, 18:19
A quick tip on taking a 2 dread troop list is that you will never be able to win an objective game unless you have boyz or grots. Vehicles cannot claim objectives. However in a typical 1500 pt game, you can go 9 kans, 2 dreads, and almost 100 boyz for true hordy goodness.

DuskRaider
09-02-2010, 20:52
I'd personally go with Trukk Boyz in anything over 1000 points, mainly to make best use of those KFFs.

Archangel_Ruined
10-02-2010, 00:16
I'd take an SM dread army with the new BA rules. Moriar and footslogging elite dreads with fast attack dreads and some assault marines for troops should keep things quick enough. You'd get funny looks painting them as sallies but I think most players would soon forgive you that when they realised Vulkan wasn't on the board...

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
10-02-2010, 00:43
Go for the Orks!
With more than 500 pts left you can buy 4 units of 12, including Nobs with Klaws, all in Trukks.
They'll keep the objectives your Dreads and Kans will take.
And don't hesitate: Grotzooka for all Kans. It's so easy to convert anything into a Gz, and they're so powerful when fired in such a quantity.