PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights

Tir'Shinarel
09-02-2010, 05:49
Just a quick question about everyone's favorite GK's:

Are they worth starting now? I've heard conflicting rumors about whether or not they are going the way of the squats. I started looking at them because, lets face, the models are kickass. Just would like some Warseer opinion on them.

Tenken
09-02-2010, 05:54
Even if they don't get a new write up (and rumor seems to be in favor of one) you can always keep using them as "counts as" space marines. But I agree, the models are kick ass as all hell.

The Orange
09-02-2010, 06:03
They may not be a top selling army but it's definitely an excellent model line, I don't think GW would want to throw that away. If anything they'd get a mini-dex release like Blood Angles did. Then again it is GW.

starlight
09-02-2010, 06:20
GW is on the record as saying that all existing armies *will* continue to be supported.

It's just a matter of what form that support will take...

I'm glad I have mine and look forward to using them in the future... :)

Gutzmek
09-02-2010, 06:38
Just a quick question about everyone's favorite GK's:

Are they worth starting now? I've heard conflicting rumors about whether or not they are going the way of the squats. I started looking at them because, lets face, the models are kickass. Just would like some Warseer opinion on them.

:confused:Who said they would be squated? The rumors are they will ether be combined in a =I= dex of some form or have there own codex.

kolt
09-02-2010, 07:26
What Gutzmek said. For me it's not wanting to spend $100 CND for one squad of 10 GKs... Beautiful models, but I can't justify spending that much on them(having the squads of less then 10 just seems wrong, so sue me).

If you can't wait, I'd say collect them.

starlight
09-02-2010, 07:36
*whistles innocently* :angel:

A plastic alternative... (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116482) :angel:

solkan
09-02-2010, 07:45
*Wow*, those are some nice conversions.

What's the schedule been so far for time from codex removed from GW store to announcement of the new edition? I think it's happened for both the Space Wolves and the Tyranid codices, but I'm vague on the time delays.

IcedAnimals
09-02-2010, 08:07
About 9 months or so if I recall correctly. Every reliable rumor source on here has said there won't be an combined WH/DH inquisition codex. But you keep hearing about it and the codices are both mia from the website.

Honestly I think the grey knights have a decent chance of a new codex this year. I hope it comes in the form of grey knights and not an =I= dex. But only time will tell and its too far away for there to be anything solid.

Bottom line is this though; The models are great and you can buy a small army to play around with. Also they are one of the few model ranges where you can pretty much guarantee the current models will be usable with the new dex. You buy an HQ a few troops and some termies and you will be using them with the new dex no matter what it is.

Souleater
09-02-2010, 11:00
I would be very surprised to see GK dumped.

They have been around since RT era. They have fair amount of interesting background and while they are marines the models are fairly different from the run of the mill SM armour.

Iverald
09-02-2010, 11:49
Bottom line is this though; The models are great and you can buy a small army to play around with. Also they are one of the few model ranges where you can pretty much guarantee the current models will be usable with the new dex. You buy an HQ a few troops and some termies and you will be using them with the new dex no matter what it is.

Seconded.

I'd recommend getting 2 boxes of power amoured G'Knights, optionally with enough bilsters to get 2 squads of 10 able to be kitted out with psycannons, 1 box of Termies with Stern and a psycannon termie, if you want to have the whole range as well as a small usable army.

I'm doing this myself, as indeed these guys rock.

WinglessVT2
09-02-2010, 11:52
They're likely to be released between necrons and a randomly picked chapter of marines, both are which are likely to happen before dark eldar.

We'll probably see sisters of battle before gray knights, due to their higher popularity - which, all things considered, isn't that high, thanks to both armies being mostly metal.

laudarkul
09-02-2010, 12:05
They worth taking now. You can build a good looking army force and when the new codex/models will appear you can expand them.But from fun and models point of view you could start them (thats what I did).

Tir'Shinarel
11-02-2010, 04:57
Thanks for the input!

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 14:47
I currently have about 2,000 points purely of GK and another 1,000 of various DH models and love fielding the GK. They may not win very often in 5th edition and every battle is something of an uphill struggl, but they are a great, challenging army to play and get to grips with. The models are the best in the entire 40k range and if you have the money I recommend getting some even if it's just to collect, paint and display. Heck, you can allie them with every Imperial force out there so you can always squeee a unit or 2 into your existing Imperial force. They are a lower tier army, but they can win games :) (see my win/lose/draw ration in my sig).

Grey Knights will not be Squated, that's a given since GW are still admitting that they will be supporting every existing codex/army presently available. In another thread, stickymonkey mentioned seeing prototypes of plastic GK termies in the works, so there is something coming at some point.

boreas
11-02-2010, 15:22
Grey Knights will not be Squated, that's a given since GW are still admitting that they will be supporting every existing codex/army presently available. In another thread, stickymonkey mentioned seeing prototypes of plastic GK termies in the works, so there is something coming at some point.

GW has mentioned that here and there. But the real fact is they are not really being supported. Apocalypse? One datasheet (and bad, at that). Battle Mission? No mission. We're not even listed as separate armies in the 5th ed rulebook (we're bundled in "Forces of the Imperium". If the "will be supported" was true, they would have periodical support like the Dark Eldars and Necrons. Right now, the best "support" we get is by Forgeworld and that doesn't mean anything in the long run.

I will believe when I get solid news (ie a leaked PDF, like all other armies). Until then, I keep my GKs on a shelf where they look pretty and keep thinking that the whole "we'll go on supporting all armies" is a corporate lie in order not to kill the lines before they've sold all the current inventory. :eyebrows:

Phil

Col. Tartleton
11-02-2010, 16:35
Sicarius would make a great GM if you're looking for a book to play with until they get one. He's got an epic sword, good saves, fnp, and good leadership abilities. His command squad can get power weapons and stormbolters easily enough and have fnp thanks to the apothecary.

Some Terminators would give you some more men, Vanguard would work as GKs with a teleport for their deep strike and their high speed could be explained as a psychic power say "the quickening."

Tacticals or scouts could stand in for the marines they're allied with or Inquisitorial stormtroops in the latter's case.

Calgar and up to 30 honor guard... oh lord would also work as a GM with a special weapon (Gauntlets o' Macragge could be a custodes styled force weapon with inbuilt bolter and a blade of killy doom) the HGs with artificer, powerweapons, pistols, and bolters would probably work as PA GK and 30 would be a solid army.

Again Tacts make good allied marines. It'd all work out.

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 18:21
Some good thinking there but you're missing out all the psykers, which is an important part of what the GK are, lol. Plus those Honour Guard cost even more than PAGK (in points and money) and while they have PW they lose the S6 which I prefer. If any SC out of the SM dex would be most likely to fit as a GW it'd be Tigurius, but he lacks TDA. You also lose all the shooting potential for those 30 honour guard since they're close quarters only.

I must also admit that while reading your post I saw it as a vanguard for others to jump on yet another "let's put them in C: SM coz they're SM themselves" like we keep hearing for other stand alone chapters :(

I kinda like my GK as GK, not Silver Marines (I can see that becoming a popular phrase in the coming "dump them in C: SM" argument, heh), if I wanted codex daemon hunters I would field a Exorcists army ;)

Sygerrik
11-02-2010, 18:27
I've always thought that the current Grey Knights were the first "modern" models. That may simply be because they were brand new when I started the game, but they definitely are much closer to the current 40k aesthetic than the one that was prevalent when they first came out-- more dynamic, less static, and more bulky. GK Termies look much more like current-gen plastic Termies than the metal ones that were the SM equivalent when they were released.

A case can be made that the plastic Fex is the first "modern" generation model, being the first CAD'd, but... I've always thought of the release of the GK box as a watershed moment in GW modeling akin to the release of the plastic Force Commander, the Battle for Macragge set, or the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace kit.

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 18:46
A case can be made that the plastic Fex is the first "modern" generation model, being the first CAD'd

Curious enough, the Fex was sculpted traditional, then scanned and played about with in CAD to make up a few of the weapon and head options, other models had gone through this proceedure prior to the Fex including some SM and Eldar models.

Skyros
11-02-2010, 19:10
I think the grey knight terminators are the most beautiful models in all of 40k.

I hope to collect some eventually (funds permitting).

It would be an absolute travesty if GW were to ever stop supporting them. I just don't see it happening.

I very much hope, and slightly expect, a new codex for them and witch hunters (not necessarily, but possibly, a dual codex) in the relatively near future (18 months).

Murdoch
11-02-2010, 20:56
I wouldn't be without mine.... I know that! Ever since Ninja Knight I have been hooked!

Allegedly the new dew is 18 months away... Hope, hope, hope!!

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 21:49
I've not heard about when a codex is coming, but I doubt it'd be before 2011 and I can easily wait that long :)