PDA

View Full Version : A unit for every race?

IAMNOTHERE
09-02-2010, 10:54
I'm working on a few ideas for other races in space hulk and would like some suggestions. Ideally each race should have a squad, upgrade character and IC of some type.

This is what I've got so far:

All SM Chapters - Termies/Sgt/Libby
IG - Storm Troopers/Sgt/???
CSM - Termies/Sgt/???
Eldar - Striking Scorpions/Exharch/???
Orks - MegaNobz/Bigmek
Tau - Stealth Suits/???/???
Sisters - ???/???/???

Bad Guys:

Nids
Necrons

I've tried to go with space is an airless vacume so if it aint in power armour/equivalent it aint in.

Appreciate your thoughts.

commandergabriel
09-02-2010, 17:16
Well, you are almost limiting yourself by stating that the need for power armor or equivalent is needed. If space were an airless vacuum then wouldn't everyone just float away? (rhetorical). Go with the notion that the Hulks do have air pressure and gravity and more doors can open for the choices.

IG - Storm Troopers, SGT, Psyker (Or go with the SPACE IS COLD theme and include the Valhalla Troopers and command options)
CSM - Termies, SGT, Terminator Lord
Eldar - Dire Avengers, Exarch, Warlock
Orks - Meganobz, Ghazghkull, Bigmek
Tau - Stealth, Shadowsun, Ethereals
Sisters or =]I[= - Greyknights, Stern, Repentia Mistress or Confessor

Your choice of bad guys is obvious; what could get more EVIL than nids and the necrons.

wilsongrahams
09-02-2010, 18:47
I personally like marines versus orks, but it's a really hard one to do without things becoming overly complex.

For enemies I'd certainly stick to the horde type foe rather than anything elite to keep the balance.

IAMNOTHERE
09-02-2010, 20:21
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm thinking of running a small tourny for my gaming group and wanted a way to include most races. That's why I'm trying to limit things a bit - easier to come up with balanced rules for.

Once I've got the basic units figured out I'll work on rules for weapons etc.

HaunterV
10-02-2010, 08:22
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239490

I have vids up of my Dire avengers and IG as well as Basic orks replacing genestealer rules.

for those that think they are complex, you probably only ever play as the stealers and get overwhelmed with the options of the terminators :P

I've also added a variety of house rules and simple wargear

HaunterV
10-02-2010, 08:24
Well, you are almost limiting yourself by stating that the need for power armor or equivalent is needed. If space were an airless vacuum then wouldn't everyone just float away? (rhetorical). Go with the notion that the Hulks do have air pressure and gravity and more doors can open for the choices.

Your choice of bad guys is obvious; what could get more EVIL than nids and the necrons.

Not all spacehuilk missions need to be on a hulk, there can be ones in hive cities. not to mention the secitons that missions take place are not in 0 g vacuum. Stealers can survive in vaccuum they need to breathe and circulate blood as well.

wilsongrahams
14-02-2010, 16:04
I agree - I've even played a version of 40k using Space Hulk rules for a fast game. It was for a scene similar to the film Aliens where they land at the edge of the station in the streets and are securing the area.

IAMNOTHERE
14-02-2010, 17:27
I agree, tunnel fighting is the concept - the setting can be anywhere.

I'm trying to get only a few from each race invloved so playtesting is easier.

wilsongrahams
16-02-2010, 07:40
That's probably best for the wider view you are looking for. It may be best to take the common troop type and concentrate more on that rather than anything too elitist at first to get variance between the races, and then develop different troops for each race later.

I'm interested to see what the stealth suit rules for your tau will be because the obvious choice such as something to do with blips wouldn't work. Maybe just some modifiers etc.

IAMNOTHERE
16-02-2010, 08:20
Well so far for the Stealth Suits I'm going with:

4 AP
1d6-1 in combat
Burst cannon (or whatever they have)3d6 for shooting (6 to kill but gets sustained fire)
Fusion blaster range 8, 2+ to kill.
For targeting them I was going with roll 3d6 for the distance you could see or making it a blanket 8 squares.

I hadn't thought of blips but it makes sense. I may try the tau deploying as blips equal to the number of suits +d6. Would have to give them special deployment rules though.

wilsongrahams
16-02-2010, 08:27
A thought just occured to me?

Maybe you could use something similar to the '0' blip used in 2nd edition? Have blips moving all over the place but only some are models? Maybe allowing them to disappear from the board if out of sight and to return later as a different blip? Blame any inconsistency on scanners playing up or being jammed?

goroul
16-02-2010, 16:23
I might be tempted to make Tau and Guard (even the elite of these races) d6-3 (-2 at best) in combat, after all if a fully armoured Terminator is only d6... ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though!

Goroul

NightAngel
17-02-2010, 17:53
What would the tau Ethereal be able to do thou

NightAngel
17-02-2010, 17:54
What would the Ethereal be able to do

NightAngel
17-02-2010, 17:55
Double post my bad

HaunterV
17-02-2010, 18:51
an ethereal would simply be a win condition, tau gotta keep him alive, opponents gotta kill him.

IAMNOTHERE
17-02-2010, 19:44
Agreed, th eetheral would be ideal as an objective but not much else.

NightAngel
19-02-2010, 22:09
He might get parry in close combat with his honor blade or give a bonus to nearby tau

wilsongrahams
21-02-2010, 14:24
He could be like the dead terminator. You have to go to him, get his blessing and then bugger off.

NightAngel
22-02-2010, 20:48
Yes that would work exept he's not dead and the tau would want to protect him

wilsongrahams
23-02-2010, 16:11
Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of he can't be touched by the stealers and is quite happy just standing there all mission.

Hunger
22-06-2010, 18:03
Or go with the SPACE IS COLD theme

Space is not cold...

Apologist
24-06-2010, 13:32
Space is not cold...

Science (and borin' old real life) tells you that it's not, but it's common knowledge that space is cold (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceIsCold). ;)

(Link is to TVtropes, explaining both the actual case scenario and the commonly held fictional belief that it is cold)