PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! Someone made the new minotaurs look good!!!

TheRaven
10-02-2010, 17:22
I was just checking out the daily GW update when I saw this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=8200017a

Look at the Minotaur in the top left corner, it's amazing!!!! I have no idea why GW tried to force the "fleshy" paint scheme that highlighted the "rolls" in the skin, but using that brown paintstyle makes the minotaur actually look like they're supposed to look, absolutely amazing! I was really impressed and was able to appreciate the model ALOT more after I saw that. Bravo to the man that used that scheme.

Valtiel
10-02-2010, 17:27
I've seen others make them look quite fine. Look around for pictures here on Warseer and you'll find a couple. But it doesn't really help against the weird patches of fur (shielded away by the Great Weapons) but really... a dark paint job really helped these guys.

Hellblane
10-02-2010, 18:01
As ever, massive over-reaction in the first place from the whineseer crowd.

Maybe some of this forums more frivolous posters will admit they got it wrong... again!

neXus6
10-02-2010, 18:08
Everyone admitted that the first paint job looked terrible and really didn't help.

Having spent a long time holding and looking at the models I still don't like them, not as badly as with the awful paint but still pretty bad.

Guess I'll just head back to whineseer cause of course no opinion based comment could possibly not be whining.
:rolleyes:

Desert Rain
10-02-2010, 18:25
I like the guy's conversion, it makes to model look much better. Still don't like them though.

Slayerthane
10-02-2010, 18:35
Guess I'll just head back to whineseer cause of course no opinion based comment could possibly not be whining.
:rolleyes:

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :D Everything tastes better with cheese.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Jedi152
10-02-2010, 18:36
I actually think that they look pretty good in black. Apart from the back 'growths' though. :(

Mythrider
10-02-2010, 18:43
@Hellblane

I, and I believe I`m in the majority here, still feel that the only massive over-reaction is the OP saying that the dark paint scheme makes these things look "absolutely amazing".

They may look better with a dark paint job but nothing short of a re-sculpt will ever make them look amazing.

As Jedi152 points out paint alone isn`t enough to fix this mess. Cutters, files, green stuff and paint maybe.

@Jedi152

From looking at the step-by-step it appears that the "back growths" are optional. You would just have to fill the groove with some green stuff.

Lordsaradain
10-02-2010, 19:39
I like the one painted scorched brown.

Hellblane
10-02-2010, 19:46
@Hellblane

I, and I believe I`m in the majority here, still feel that the only massive over-reaction is the OP saying that the dark paint scheme makes these things look "absolutely amazing".

They may look better with a dark paint job but nothing short of a re-sculpt will ever make them look amazing.

As Jedi152 points out paint alone isn`t enough to fix this mess. Cutters, files, green stuff and paint maybe.

How can *you* yourself be in the majority? :wtf:

However, I believe that the majority of people on here will advocate using cutters, files, green stuff and paint as part of the hobby. ;)

Stegadeth
10-02-2010, 20:04
How can *you* yourself be in the majority? :wtf:

However, I believe that the majority of people on here will advocate using cutters, files, green stuff and paint as part of the hobby. ;)

You had me until greenstuff. I have never tried using it. Just playing with my kids' Play-Doh shows me I was never meant to sculpt. :D

And don't worry, the majority of people online seem to almost always assume they are in the majority.

See what I did there?

Finn Sourscowl
10-02-2010, 20:32
Funnily enough, having just looked at GW's Blog, I had more or less exactly the same reaction as the OP.

I have yet to see them in the flesh, but I doubt my initial reactions are going to be far wrong, good paint job or not.

tezdal
10-02-2010, 20:40
Still ugly, although the people at the bottom look more like that weird guy from Narnia then minotaurs.

Tae
10-02-2010, 20:48
They do look better, however the major issue with the models (in my opinion) are the back and the legs.

Neither of which are terribly visible in those pictures.

So whilst they do look better, they still don't look "good".

decker_cky
10-02-2010, 20:53
It's pretty simple to shave off the shin muscles, which are the worst aspect of the models.

Schmapdi
10-02-2010, 21:18
Well, he's right - that is the best looking GW Minotaur I've seen. But it's funny that the best way to make them look good is to paint them all in dark colors to hide the ugly detail.

And the Minotaurs in the step-by-step assembly and painting article look horrid. Whoever though pallid naked cow was the way to go needs to get their head examined.

anoppi
10-02-2010, 21:29
Theres a photo of my minotaursWIP if anyone wants to see...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/odoumon/FILE0008.jpg

peace

Punjoke
10-02-2010, 21:53

Yes, in so far as they can be used to clean up mold lines and personalize/customize your model, making a cool one even cooler. But in this case we're talking about their use being required to 'fix' a poor model, and that's not good.

But it's funny that the best way to make them look good is to paint them all in dark colors to hide the ugly detail.

That was my thought exactly; the best looking minotaur was the one that was modeled/painted to hide the most detail!

Seville
10-02-2010, 22:56
As ever, massive over-reaction in the first place from the whineseer crowd.

Maybe some of this forums more frivolous posters will admit they got it wrong... again!

Wow, you're 14 posts in and already you've discovered why this place is called Whineseer. It took me a bit longer than that.

Rule #1 of Whineseer: Never admit that you're wrong. Rule #2 of Whineseer: Never admit that you're wrong.

Anyway, these paint jobs really do these amazing models justice. They look awesome. I was toying with the idea of black for my minos, and this definitely helped cement that decision.

I do completely agree that the "official" palid paintjob makes the models look horrid.

Stegadeth
10-02-2010, 23:04
Wow, you're 14 posts in and already you've discovered why this place is called Whineseer. It took me a bit longer than that.

Rule #1 of Whineseer: Never admit that you're wrong. Rule #2 of Whineseer: Never admit that you're wrong.

Anyway, these paint jobs really do these amazing models justice. They look awesome. I was toying with the idea of black for my minos, and this definitely helped cement that decision.

I recently saw a Stegadon that had "black" skin. I suppose it was more grey, but it looked great with the musculature of the great big beast. It was achieved with a white undercoat which was based grey, highlighted with a grey-white mix then washed Badab Black.

I am guessing a darker grey and maybe more than one coat of black wash would be much darker.

defcat
10-02-2010, 23:15
I had a hard time with the paint job in the step by step painting guide. Especially when they showed the back side. If my kids saw that I would have some explaining to do.

Stegadeth
10-02-2010, 23:18
I had a hard time with the paint job in the step by step painting guide. Especially when they showed the back side. If my kids saw that I would have some explaining to do.

Because of the crack or the lack of dangly bits?

defcat
11-02-2010, 00:41
Actually the lack of dangly bits helps me out. Mine are all girls. But really, I can imagine that it wouldn't be as noticable with a darker color scheme. Did they really have to do the skin tone and then show all those shots from the backside?

Stegadeth
11-02-2010, 00:48
Actually the lack of dangly bits helps me out. Mine are all girls. But really, I can imagine that it wouldn't be as noticable with a darker color scheme. Did they really have to do the skin tone and then show all those shots from the backside?

Meh, everyone has a butt. No need to explain that.

Ultimate Life Form
11-02-2010, 00:52
*Bubsy voice on*

Aaaaall right, I like it!

*Bubsy voice off*

Yeah, not too shabby. But as I said, even the best painter can't do something about the abysmal fur, and the butts look just plain silly.

As for the GW claqueurs, if you can't cope with justified criticism and freedom of expression and find that 'whineseer' is not for sissies, you may want to find a new playground where you can dictate public opinion.

Commodus Leitdorf
11-02-2010, 00:57
Well yes, the darker paint jobs that hide all the deep grooves of their physiques makes them look alot better.

Though I must also add That as much as I think these models could be ALOT better...gotta love that manly chest hair. Just makes me want to go and chop some wood!

Manly!

Stumpy
11-02-2010, 01:31
Looks a lot better, still not good. It also seems to be a case of armour and weapon hiding its ugly body.
I'm pretty impressed by the Ghorgon conversion actually.

Seville
11-02-2010, 01:50
*Bubsy voice on*

Aaaaall right, I like it!

*Bubsy voice off*

Yeah, not too shabby. But as I said, even the best painter can't do something about the abysmal fur, and the butts look just plain silly.

I would agree that the perfectly manicured fur is a flaw with the models. They're far from perfect but I think on the whole they look "cool". Nothing more than my opinion.

As for the GW claqueurs, if you can't cope with justified criticism and freedom of expression and find that 'whineseer' is not for sissies, you may want to find a new playground where you can dictate public opinion.

Ah, see, therein lies the rub. Those of us who don't absolutely despise GW feel that our opinions are constantly invalidated and that we are ostracized and marginalized all the time. It would seem on this playground that those little children who whine loudest and most often are the ones who dictate whineseer's generally odious "public opinion".

But, you're right, I definitely am considering moving on from here.

Oh, and PS "justified criticism" - according to you.

Clymer
11-02-2010, 03:09
The black outfit is quite slimming...

StarFyreXXX
11-02-2010, 04:41
is it just me, or did those new paintjobs still look pretty bad.

Not impressed. However, love the Gor models

Sanjay

Hellblane
11-02-2010, 11:33

Ouch! Captain Ahab would have been proud of that barb. Either you are incredibly arrogant or deluded if you think you are a spokesman for the entire Warseer community.

Ah, see, therein lies the rub. Those of us who don't absolutely despise GW feel that our opinions are constantly invalidated and that we are ostracized and marginalized all the time. It would seem on this playground that those little children who whine loudest and most often are the ones who dictate whineseer's generally odious "public opinion".

But, you're right, I definitely am considering moving on from here.

Oh, and PS "justified criticism" - according to you.

Yes, what Seville said... :D

It would be nice to come on these forums and state that I like a particular mini without being continually derided for it. For me Warseer in a necessary evil, I come on here to check the latest news & rumours and instead I have to wade through pages of "OMG those minis are lame". I speak my mind and I'm shouted down for it. If you ask me thats not what a healthy online community should be, but to each their own.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for taking this way off tangent, I will not post on this thread again.

P.S. Oh and I never assumed I was in the majority, if you look I actually edited my original post from ‘Whineseer’ to ‘Whineseer crowd’ as I felt it unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.

See what I did there.

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-02-2010, 12:54
Im kind of in the camp of you can put black lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

I will admit they do look much better but still not to my taste.

I like all the new models except for minotaurs, pumbagors and some of the characters mainly the centigor one.

Ultimate Life Form
11-02-2010, 12:58
Ouch! Captain Ahab would have been proud of that barb. Either you are incredibly arrogant or deluded if you think you are a spokesman for the entire Warseer community.

Both.

It's just that I find it paradoxical for people who don't like the site to come here and complain. Or in short, if you think it's 'Whineseer' don't come here to whine. No one forces you.

Im kind of in the camp of you can put black lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

That should be cow, no?!? :D

Avian
11-02-2010, 13:03
Yeah. They're not awful like the Lion King Reject, but they're not well sculpted models by any stretch and while you can sort of hide the sculpting by using dark colours or shaving off some of the detail beforehand, I still don't like them.

The weapons look good, but the faces ... and the legs ... and the fur... :eyebrows:

Mythrider
11-02-2010, 13:06

I will admit they do look much better but still not to my taste.

I like all the new models except for minotaurs, pumbagors and some of the characters mainly the centigor one.

QFT!

The Gors, Ungors and Bestigors all deserve to be described as amazing. Look at the picture of the Beastmen army in the WD battle report; the pumbagors look completely out of place with the rest of the army.

Plagueridden
11-02-2010, 13:10
these topics are getting a tidbit tiresome imho...

The SkaerKrow
11-02-2010, 14:36
Im kind of in the camp of you can put black lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. Weird...goth...pigs? :wtf: Heh.

The paint schemes by the Italian and Spanish GW employees are certainly more artistically sound than the hack-jobs by the 'Eavy Metal team. Thanks for bringing them to everyone's attention.