PDA

View Full Version : Marius Leitdorf's equipment

igotsmeakabob!!
10-02-2010, 18:43
So, how exactly would the Mad Count of Averland be equipped using our 7th edition rules? I'm only just starting an Empire army (first fantasy army, too) but I love his new model.
I know he has a Runefang, what else?
Thanks!

Leogun_91
10-02-2010, 20:11
Barded warhorse, full plate or heavy armour (I suggest full plate armour since youŽll need the save) and the runefang.
That's it, if you feel like it hang a shield somewhere on the model for an additional +1AS,

Commodus Leitdorf
10-02-2010, 23:30
Old Marius was packing a Runefang, Full Plate and his silver Dagger (extra Hand Weapon)

But just giving him a Runefang and Fullplate with a shield should do nicely if you want to represent him that way.

theunwantedbeing
10-02-2010, 23:50
General of the Empire, Runefang, Full plate, barded Steed, Additional hand weapon
You'll have a very hard time getting the guy frenzied though.

So he wont quite be the true Mad Lord of Averland.
Merely a sane copy.

LaughinGremlin
11-02-2010, 04:29
Place him in a unit with a mounted warrior priest so that he gets hatred, which is like "Frenzy Light - with half the calories." Maybe he's had some therapy.

Kovalev
11-02-2010, 05:15
From GW UK site

In the Empire articles: Personalities of the Empire:

Marius Leitdorf
Renowned as the Mad Count of Averland, Marius Leitdorf has a reputation that has spread far and wide. Most know Leitdorf for his eccentricities, his bouts of screaming rage and his frequent periods of deep depression. Equally well known are the tales of his mercurial behaviour in court, the fact that he relies closely on the advice of his favourite warhorse (Daisy Kurt Von Helboring II, or Daisy for short) as much as any of his captains or court advisors, his insistence on regular and lengthy baths in buttermilk and rosemary and his incessant mockery of any at court who he considers 'roly-poly'. In fact, his behaviour has been perceived as so outrageous that none of the other Electors welcome him in their courts and in Altdorf only the Grand Theogonist extends him invitation to anything but the most essential councils. Part of the animosity directed towards Leitdorf might stem from his long-standing rivalry with Kurt Helborg, who according to the Mad Count has a poor moustache, worse dental hygiene and a sense of humour to rival a Troll. Those who are willing to engage in speculation, suggest the animosity Helborg feels towards the Count stems more from a particularly florid tale Leitdorf once recounted concerning Helborg's sister, a churn of butter and a lot of Elven wine. Kristal Helborg has since sworn an oath as a Sister of Sigmar and Kurt has never forgiven Leitdorf his impropriety.

All these stories and more, however, do Leitdorf a gross disservice for while he is clearly 'unconventional' in his manners and flamboyant in his clothing (with a predilection towards bright silks, fashionable clothing and tall, fluffy feathers), he has a sharp and incisive mind. Indeed, he is a studied swordsman, an accomplished poet, an architect of no small skill and an engineer and inventor of some standing. In fact, until the unfortunate incident of Marius's Marvelous Pneumatic Britches, he was an Honorary Fellow of the Imperial School of Engineers.

None of this, thankfully, stands in the way of the fact that Marius Leitdorf can, and does, lead an army with considerable flair and skill. In fact, a number of great Imperial victories in recent years are owed to his courage and insight and this fact alone has protected him from the sternest censures of the Imperial court.

On the Tabletop
Marius Leitdorf is an Elector Count and carries a Runefang. In your games, it's a simple matter of selecting a General of the Empire and equipping him with the weapons and wargear to match the Marius Leitdorf miniature. I recommend a Runefang, full plate armour and a barded warhorse.

Jind_Singh
11-02-2010, 06:41
yeah, and house rules could allow for him to also use an additional hand weapon - but its mundane extra attack, not rune fang attack.
He was a master duelist too in the books - so a special rule to reflect his duals - such as he gets +1 to hit, or maybe ASF in a dual, or something to represent the Empires pre-eminant duelist!
Frenzy - tough one as he wasn't that mad to go charing off on his own - maybe frenzy but he takes a ld test to see if he can 'restrain himself'

BigbyWolf
11-02-2010, 08:39
Didn't Leitdorf die? In that case how has he returned?

Maybe he's Nagash!:eek:

ashc
11-02-2010, 09:37
Didn't Leitdorf die? In that case how has he returned?

Maybe he's Nagash!:eek:

Plenty of 'historical' characters floating about these days in army books.

BigbyWolf
11-02-2010, 09:39
Plenty of 'historical' characters floating about these days in army books.

I'm aware of that, but isn't he actually back in a story sense as well...I'm sure WD ran an up-to-date campaign with him fairly recently.

Darnok
11-02-2010, 11:35
I'm aware of that, but isn't he actually back in a story sense as well...I'm sure WD ran an up-to-date campaign with him fairly recently.

That one was "historical".

And in that battle reports they gave him an additional handweapon, adding one attack, plus Runefang. There were no more special rules.

Condottiere
11-02-2010, 11:54
Hatred would technically give him an additional attack.

Commodus Leitdorf
11-02-2010, 14:28
Marius's Old rules gave him frenzy and I think the ability to fight with his additional hand weapon from Horseback (Though on the second point I'm not to sure).

and unlike the new fluff Marius is probably the best (or second best) swordsmen in the Empire ahead (or behind) of Kurt Helborg...something they haven't been able to settle since Marius isn't allowed at court anymore. Which is a much better backstory then the blurb in the army book where Lugwig Schwartzhelm pushes him around (Marius could take him in a duel easy:))

Oh Marius also had WS6 from what I remember to represent his superior swordsmanship over your average Elector Count.

Riocard
11-02-2010, 14:57
Having the old 4th(?) Edition Army Book at hands it states him as a regular Elector Count with a Runefang, an additional hand weapon and Frenzy as a special rule. He was one of the best Swordsman due to his Frenzy Rule giving him 7 attacks at that edition.

von Kessel
11-02-2010, 17:12
Here is a link to the old 6th edition rules

http://wizbangs.parks.officelive.com/Documents/elector-averland.pdf

selone
11-02-2010, 18:16
Hatred would technically give him an additional attack.

Eh? Care to explain :)

Condottiere
11-02-2010, 18:18
He's bound to fluff at least one attack, and Hatred will allow him to repeat it.

BigbyWolf
11-02-2010, 23:39
That one was "historical".

So it was, I stand corrected! :D

scarletsquig
12-02-2010, 00:35
Place him in a unit with a mounted warrior priest so that he gets hatred, which is like "Frenzy Light - with half the calories." Maybe he's had some therapy.

Characters do not benefit from warrior priest hatred.

Shame really, I mean, it's not like Empire heroes are all that killy to start with.

Havock
12-02-2010, 00:43
If he's such a good swordsman... 'counts as-kurt'?

Shamutanti
12-02-2010, 00:52
He's one of the few Elector counts mentioned in the various novels that the common folk actually liked as well.

Sure, they were a little bit unsure about the whole ranting madness that would consume him every now and again but the fact he was an inspiring leader, an amazing swordsman and courageous enough to gather force men and chase away, both the imaginary and real foes of the city walls, put him in good stead.

I actually found him quite an amusing character - needs to be more varied Elector Counts with more in depth personalities like Marius.

ftayl5
12-02-2010, 09:12
The guys I play with regularly have let me make up a profile for him. He's stubborn, frenzied, dagger and runefang combo, full plate armour and a barded warhorse. Wouldn't be able to use at tournaments but I use him as a named character in friendly games