PDA

View Full Version : CHOAS: Space marines

Chaos Abyss
10-02-2010, 20:13
Hello I'm currently making a CSM army first squad of troops almost done and Im curious as to whether or not hero and tanks and such actually come in handy as i say im only a beginner and i dont want to buy crap i wont use btw if it helps i love tactics as long as its not a rush tactic

Ryan814
10-02-2010, 20:24
Well the HQ choice is mandatory in a standard army list a lot of people I see use a Daemon Prince or Sorcerer instead of a Lord. For CSM the tanks can help a lot but your troops are certainly good enough that I wouldn't call them "mandatory" (except the Rhino, I would call those mandatory for pretty much every squad). As your just starting I would say go for troops and Rhinos before you want to start with any thing else.

What I find helps best is to play a couple games with your starter force and as you play you will encounter situations where you may realize a certain unit would have helped your army a lot.

Chaos Abyss
10-02-2010, 20:32
Well the HQ choice is mandatory in a standard army list a lot of people I see use a Daemon Prince or Sorcerer instead of a Lord. For CSM the tanks can help a lot but your troops are certainly good enough that I wouldn't call them "mandatory" (except the Rhino, I would call those mandatory for pretty much every squad). As your just starting I would say go for troops and Rhinos before you want to start with any thing else.

What I find helps best is to play a couple games with your starter force and as you play you will encounter situations where you may realize a certain unit would have helped your army a lot.
Thanks I didnt know HQ were mandatory could I use Cypher the fallen as a HQ? And whats a good Size squad? i have just been tagging weapons onto my troops can that adversely effect my points per unit?

DoomedFuture
10-02-2010, 20:47
I recommend obliterators.

Also, you really need the codex.

Chaos Abyss
10-02-2010, 20:49
I recommend obliterators.

Also, you really need the codex.

I know Im picking one up saturday

Eulenspiegel
10-02-2010, 21:01
You need the codex :D

Cypher is no longer an option in the codex, but you can just build a Chaos Lord (HQ choice) or Aspiring Champion (sergeant - type unit upgrade) to "count as" Cypher. Just use the model for something else. He would fit perfectly as an Aspiring Champion for a Chosen squad (veterans that can infiltrate).

primarch16
10-02-2010, 21:10
There are multiple units in the chaos army, but I think a unit any chaos marine army can benefit from is a unit of death guard in a rhino. They're tough, scoring and with dual assault weapons and a power fist they can tackle most threats. Most players would recomend them for a new player.

Corrode
11-02-2010, 00:47
There are multiple units in the chaos army, but I think a unit any chaos marine army can benefit from is a unit of death guard in a rhino. They're tough, scoring and with dual assault weapons and a power fist they can tackle most threats. Most players would recomend them for a new player.

You should probably note that the unit being described are called Plague Marines - Death Guard have a lot of them, but not all Plague Marines are Death Guard.

Mannimarco
11-02-2010, 01:29
theres nothing wrong with a rush tactic

to this day I swear by my rhino mounted plague marines, get a few units of these and your on your way to a solid dependable objective holder, stick a powerfust champ and a couple of special weapons in there and your plague marines should hold their own against a lot of opponents

lots of people use the twin prince combo as the prince is seen as a more viable choice than either a lord or a sorcerer. Im inclined to agree so try a winged prince or even a pair of them

Lord Asgul
11-02-2010, 01:33
TANKS...MORE TANKS...and Terminators too

wazatdingder
11-02-2010, 01:47
Thousand sons....

Honestly, get a codex, read it, Chaos can be made to fit any playing style.

TheWarSmith
11-02-2010, 02:27
Yeah, get a codex.

I'd start with basic chaos space marines before you dive into any of the god specific squads.

Oh, and learning to spell CHAOS consistently will help too. Hehe.

sigur
11-02-2010, 02:28
No use talking about what to get and such before you have the codex and a rulebook and read both.

jsullivanlaw
11-02-2010, 23:19
Get sum Choas marinesm, that gud unit.

Sygerrik
12-02-2010, 01:23
Slaanesh, I Choas You!

Occulto
12-02-2010, 01:34
Every time chaos is spelled choas, God kills a nurgling.

So please. Think of the nurglings.

Wolfblade670
12-02-2010, 11:27
Choas. Choas. Choas. Choas. Choas. Choas. Choas. Choas.

:D

Gotta keep the forum clean.

Born Again
12-02-2010, 11:45
Chaos can be made to fit any playing style.

Except Iron Warriors, apparently :eyebrows:

TheWarSmith
13-02-2010, 01:17
Except Iron Warriors, apparently :eyebrows:

True that, CSM is a suckfest for making a good IW army.

camulus316
13-02-2010, 01:39
I'd start with two squads of CSM, two rhinos and a daemon prince. If your into modelling, put wings on the prince. I prefer the mark of Tz for the better invulnerable save, Warp Time and a ranged weapon, but that's my playing style, yours may very. I'd buy two squads of ten marines, have an aspiring champion with a power fist in each, have one group with two flamers and one group with two meltaguns. Then you'd have one anti-tank group and one anti-infantry troop.

But thats just my 2 teef.

Tzeentch Loyalist
13-02-2010, 06:29
Bezerkers in a land raider or rhino... "zerkers" are the awesome. Seriously, they will clear any objective, just try and avoid s8 ap3 blast weapons. Those destroy a zerker squad fast. Its a good thing they're fearless. For plague marines, i recommend buying the plastic marines and using green stuff and a drill bit to make your own. The plauge marine models are very expensive and you only get 7 of them, and only one plasma gun. Too bad GW discontinued the death guard havocs.

I'd only buy the possessed box set for conversion work only. They are awesome models, just terribly overpriced in game and a random abilities rolled for after deployment. Boo I say.

And definately termies for elite. deep strike, combi melta, and, chain fists for anti tank, lightning claws and reaper autocannon or heavy flamer for anti troop. I love my termies, they have done me proud many times.

Born Again
14-02-2010, 11:02
True that, CSM is a suckfest for making a good IW army.

Just to clarify, I was being totally ironic there.

TheWarSmith
14-02-2010, 20:03
Just to clarify, I was being totally ironic there.

Well, not to open up another can of worms, but I wasn't. Codex SM is a MUCH better way to build IW, as the chaos codex offers much less to help an IW player theme his army

Ironclad dreadnoughts
additional better dreads(w/ master of forge)
better landraider choices
techmarines