PDA

View Full Version : Black Templars, Crusades and Space Wolves

Zanzibarthefirst
11-02-2010, 01:41
So I'm thinking of starting a Blact Templars army and I was wondering is there any way i could integrate Space Wolves? (or Blood Angels/Dark Angels for that matter into the models) Having studied the crusades in sixth form I field it woudl be good to have a crusader army that is built up from a number of different chapters so instead of a crusade of Englishmen, Germans and Frenchmen, I woudl have a crusade of Black Templars, Blood Angels and Space Wolves. Is it possible that meember of different chapters would leave their chapters to join the Balck templars on a crusade?

MajorWesJanson
11-02-2010, 01:46
So I'm thinking of starting a Blact Templars army and I was wondering is there any way i could integrate Space Wolves? (or Blood Angels/Dark Angels for that matter into the models) Having studied the crusades in sixth form I field it woudl be good to have a crusader army that is built up from a number of different chapters so instead of a crusade of Englishmen, Germans and Frenchmen, I woudl have a crusade of Black Templars, Blood Angels and Space Wolves. Is it possible that meember of different chapters would leave their chapters to join the Balck templars on a crusade?

Yes, sort of. They would not leave their chapters, but when forces from multiple chapters are fighting in the same battle or crusade, they will commonly elect one of the detachment leaders to have overall command.

IcedAnimals
11-02-2010, 01:57
I have my Black templars guard and sisters as a "crusade" force. I have played a few campaigns with them. I can also field all kinds of forces mixing those models due to the witch hunter allies rules. Other than that the only time I am able to put down my entire crusade is during apoc. And since I have a deep hatred for "titans" I very rarely play that.

TheWarSmith
11-02-2010, 02:15
I like that idea, personally. Have various tactical squads be represented by differing chapters.

The real key is that you should only use one book. You'll want your rules to be uniform to prevent confusion. Make it clear that the army is "codex: ____".

Zanzibarthefirst
14-02-2010, 21:08
The intention was always to use the BT codex, all painted in BT colours simply some units have a mix of SW and BT bits, other a BA/BT bits etc...

TheWarSmith
14-02-2010, 21:23
In that case, it's even easier. You wouldn't even have to paint them all in the same scheme in my opinion. Just have something to tie it together, like a shoulder pad or helmet or something like that.

Archangel_Ruined
14-02-2010, 21:26
If you're picking it from one parent codex then there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do that. I'm not sure what list to run from though, the SW list has many advantages but wouldn't represent BA assault marines well at all (unless you used the horribly expensive wolfguard jumppackers). You could use grey hunters to represent marines from all 3 chapters very well as they're tooled up for anything. The vanilla marine list doesn't do the templars or the wolves justice and the BT list is just a bit too old to really contemplate.

Zanzibarthefirst
14-02-2010, 21:46
Obviously I dont know what bitz are available for the BA but I was thinking of using the templar shoulderpad on the left, a kind of generic crusade one and the right one would be painted in the host chapter painted in BT colours.

The BT sprue is a bit limited tbh and I'd really like to be a few hairy heads in a BT army.

Im using BT mainly becuase I already have armies from every other marine codex

Egaeus
14-02-2010, 22:22
Well, there isn't really anything that prevents you from using the models if it's a look you're after. Actually a significant portion of my Templars-rules Marine army are built from Space Wolf sets (Blood Claws were the best way to get basic BP+CCW Marines), although I did attempt to steer away from using the Wolf iconography. Picked up a Dark Angels battleforce back when their Codex was released because I like the robes and thought they would make nice command/vet squads although I never did get around to doing anything with it.

It seems somewhat unlikely to me that Marines would "leave their chapter" to tag along with another, but "joint operations" are doable. Although with the Space Wolves' personal glory bent it might be likely that they could get permission to go off on a crusade with another chapter.

Zanzibarthefirst
15-02-2010, 00:53
the reason why i thought they might tag along and join the BT is two reasons really:
1.) In the history of the crusades, knights didnt belong to the crusade per se but we kind of one loan from the lord. IN 40k, the SPace Wolve woudl be loaned out to the BT and fight for the BT
2.) SPace Amrines from loyalist legions woudl turn traitor and join the warbands of chaos lords

Egaeus
15-02-2010, 05:47
the reason why i thought they might tag along and join the BT is two reasons really:
1.) In the history of the crusades, knights didnt belong to the crusade per se but we kind of one loan from the lord. IN 40k, the SPace Wolve woudl be loaned out to the BT and fight for the BT
2.) SPace Amrines from loyalist legions woudl turn traitor and join the warbands of chaos lords

I recalled that the Deathwatch (the Inquisitorial chapter of the Ordo Xenos) is made up of Marines "on loan" from their respective chapters to whom they return when their service is up. So there is some precedence for Marines to go off and do their own thing.

It's as much your game as anyones (at least as far as being a player goes ;)) so if that's what you want to do then there's probalby a way to finagle it into the background. Heck, I mentioned that my Marines just use the BT rules and are painted in my own colours (mostly so I could "jump ship" with them if I ever got tired of the BT rules)...plus they're my second Marine army (although I haven't played with my first in years so I sometimes forget I even have them).

I suppose the major issue that I could see potentially arising was that if you have mixed colours you could potentially cause confusion, warranted or not.

Charistoph
15-02-2010, 14:14
I recalled that the Deathwatch (the Inquisitorial chapter of the Ordo Xenos) is made up of Marines "on loan" from their respective chapters to whom they return when their service is up. So there is some precedence for Marines to go off and do their own thing.

It's as much your game as anyones (at least as far as being a player goes ;)) so if that's what you want to do then there's probalby a way to finagle it into the background. Heck, I mentioned that my Marines just use the BT rules and are painted in my own colours (mostly so I could "jump ship" with them if I ever got tired of the BT rules)...plus they're my second Marine army (although I haven't played with my first in years so I sometimes forget I even have them).

I suppose the major issue that I could see potentially arising was that if you have mixed colours you could potentially cause confusion, warranted or not.

It potentially could, but that's more the player than the rules. I would set whatever "on loan" Marines you use in their own separate units and keep them pretty basic. For example, if you use the BT Codex, and wanted to have Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves joining them, have a squad of Assault Marines painted as Blood Angels, Dark Angels as Initiates with bolters and other ranged weapons, Space Wolves as Initiates and/or Sword Brother Terminators.

As someone previously said, give them a unifying Crusade patch, such as on a knee plate, to make the force yours. It's actually not uncommon for Black Templars to join other Chapters when there's a big campaign going.

WinglessVT2
15-02-2010, 14:18
Marines join up for crusades all the time.
Field them as normal, but paint one knee in a distinct color, draw a little sword or something on it, and there you go - a crusade.

AndrewGPaul
15-02-2010, 15:03
"Campaign badges" were a big thing on colour schemes in 2nd edition - s simple symbol applied to every unit - Marines, Imperial Guard, etc - taking part.

WinglessVT2
15-02-2010, 15:05
I field my marines as a combined crusade of 21st founding chapters.
The plan is to use the dark angels 'sword' shoulderpads to tie them together, and make a hand and a knee white for all marines taking part.