PDA

View Full Version : Mycetic Spore base size

hellhammer6
11-02-2010, 02:51
I've modelled 6 mycetic spores that I think look really good.

I made them from modelling clay and peices from oversized plastic halloween human hearts. They look great on thier own, but much better on cd sized bases that have been modeled to look like impact craters.

The problem is the base size. The spores themselves have a diameter of about 80mm (or about 3 inches)- roughly equivalent to space marine drop pods. Mounted onto thier craters, the base is 120mm (or about 4.6 inches - made from a standard data CD)

They look 100% more visually appealing with the large crater bases, but I am worried about thier playability - and opponents' view of modeling fairness in the game.

I'll try to get some pics up, but for now...

Opinions?

gLOBS
11-02-2010, 03:34
Pics would definably help here. But since there is no actual model for them who is to say you are wrong.

SirSnipes
11-02-2010, 03:42
the FORGEWORLD model puts them on 40mm bases

hellhammer6
11-02-2010, 03:48
Here is the black basecoat work in progress.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/mickwrolson/warhammer/20080101_01_01.jpg

sic
11-02-2010, 04:18
The Forgeworld ones are MIEOTIC Spores and are big mines not drop pods and they certainly dont look big enough to fit much of anything in.

They look better with the base, i'd go with that. If you think you're going to have issues with your opponent show them first, if they get pissed you could always measure from the spore rather than the base.

gLOBS
11-02-2010, 04:19
the FORGEWORLD model puts them on 40mm bases
Good catch but those are mieotic spores and have very nasty rules, I have 3.

MajorWesJanson
11-02-2010, 04:51
I've modelled 6 mycetic spores that I think look really good.

I made them from modelling clay and peices from oversized plastic halloween human hearts. They look great on thier own, but much better on cd sized bases that have been modeled to look like impact craters.

The problem is the base size. The spores themselves have a diameter of about 80mm (or about 3 inches)- roughly equivalent to space marine drop pods. Mounted onto thier craters, the base is 120mm (or about 4.6 inches - made from a standard data CD)

They look 100% more visually appealing with the large crater bases, but I am worried about thier playability - and opponents' view of modeling fairness in the game.

I'll try to get some pics up, but for now...

Opinions?

Why not just not worry about the base? Model it on, but don't count it as part of the model. It looks like about 1" past the rim of the pod, so if a model is on the base, it has to be assaulting the pod. For shooting and such, again ignore the base and measure from the heart.

Omniassiah
11-02-2010, 05:45
Treat it exactly like a SM drop pod you deploy off of the center not the doors for them do the same with these.

wazatdingder
11-02-2010, 06:05
Why not just not worry about the base? Model it on, but don't count it as part of the model. It looks like about 1" past the rim of the pod, so if a model is on the base, it has to be assaulting the pod. For shooting and such, again ignore the base and measure from the heart.

I agree...:D

Zark the Damned
11-02-2010, 11:04
The bases are fine, just measure from the model itself for assaults and deployment. Sure sometimes you'll need to put models on the base but I see no problem with that.

Bunnahabhain
11-02-2010, 11:31
Those look fine. Sensible size, and feel right, which is all you can ask for a unit with no set model.

Lord Damocles
11-02-2010, 11:34
Those bases look fine.

The bases are fine, just measure from the model itself for assaults and deployment. Sure sometimes you'll need to put models on the base but I see no problem with that.
Isn't the spore a monstrouse creature? Therefore requiring a base?

arachnid
11-02-2010, 11:45
Yours look fine.

My pods were made out of styrene balls about 100mm big, made to look like one of those alien eggs from the alien movies.

All in all roughly the same base size and silhouette as a marine pod.

SODACANS
11-02-2010, 15:18
Where did you get the plastic hearts from? I have been looking for a way to model these things and yours look great!.

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 18:23
I'm using a mix of polystyrene eggs and Plasma Hatchers for my spores.

CrownAxe
11-02-2010, 19:58
I would figure Spores would use 60mm bases since they're a standard MC

Tethylis
11-02-2010, 20:56
I'm using a mix of polystyrene eggs and Plasma Hatchers for my spores.

I just made up 3 Plasma Hatcher spores today. I think they are a great representation, pretty much the same size as a SM (closed) drop pod and very organic looking too ;)

SPYDER68
11-02-2010, 20:58
With tourney rulings ive seen, they arent allowed to be wider or taller then a drop pod.

Creeping Dementia
11-02-2010, 21:10
The bases look fine to me. I wouldn't do any measuring from the edge of the base, just from the model itself, just to avoid deployment conflicts. They do look much better with the base though.

LonelyPath
11-02-2010, 21:50
I just made up 3 Plasma Hatcher spores today. I think they are a great representation, pretty much the same size as a SM (closed) drop pod and very organic looking too ;)

I thought the same thing when I saw them. I really need to snatch up a few more to replace all the egg spores I've made.

fwacho
13-02-2010, 06:20
I made my base 90mm by 120mm (same as tyrgon)