PDA

View Full Version : Easterling pikemen?

Pistols At Dawn
12-02-2010, 14:37
Goddamn, the Easterling plastic box is annoying! Great looking models but only 20 of em and of those only 4 are usable as Pikemen which, by all accounts, are rock hard in the game.

Has anyone converted any of the regular HW or archers? If so then can you post some piccies or give some tips?

12-02-2010, 16:17
Yeah, that's bugged me for a while too. I think they did that because the metal blisters contained 2 pike and 1 sword. GW said they designed WotR so that gamers could use all their existing models.

That's a rationalization of something that might have been an arbitrary decision.

I just patiently hunted for metal models and loose plastics untill I filled out a 4 company formation. I really don't feel the need for more just because their stats are good. It all averages out in the WotR game mechanics. In constrast to WFB with it's death stars and steamrollers and such.

Shamutanti
12-02-2010, 16:38
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GW-Lord-of-the-Ring-Easterling-Army_W0QQitemZ180466906776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_To ys_Wargames_RL?hash=item2a04aa7698

13 pikemen there. And you get loads of extra models you can either reflog on to make your money back or use to bulk out your force, like the cavalry.

McMordain
12-02-2010, 16:47
Easterlings has pikemen figures?

Pistols At Dawn
12-02-2010, 17:28
Cool, thanks for the ebay link, we'll see how that goes :)

Nu Fenix
12-02-2010, 18:40
What I do, that none of my opponents has had an issue with, is place pikes in the front half of a company, and normal swords behind them. They can see that they're armed with pikes because of them being at the front, and they understand how frustrating it is not getting enough in a box.

The Marshel
12-02-2010, 19:04
if you can acquire appropriate looking pikes/spears, its just a simple matter of cutting away the sword, drilling out a hole in the hand and putting the pike/spear into this hole. its very easy to do once you have gotten easterling style spears

N810
12-02-2010, 19:23
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=407
there ya go 30 3-1/2" long steel pikes for $6.

13-02-2010, 05:22
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=407
there ya go 30 3-1/2" long steel pikes for $6.

Bingo! I actually thought of replacing all my actual pikes like these because what comes on the models do not look like "pikes" or they're not ***** enough for my tastes.

The Marshel
13-02-2010, 09:33
Bingo! I actually thought of replacing all my actual pikes like these because what comes on the models do not look like "pikes" or they're not ***** enough for my tastes.

technically they aren't pikes, just spears. the pike rule is just the way gw decided to represent the phalanx style formation of the easterlings

Wil Grand
13-02-2010, 21:16
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/metal-pikes-80mm-1495-p.asp

There, in the UK as well.

Xelee
13-02-2010, 23:14
Sorry to drag this off pike a litte but a mate is starting Easterlings and I think there is a related problem with the figs.

Fallen Realms can have Corsair Arbalesters, but a. they just look wrong to a lot of Easterling Players b. They have Easterling Archers anyway and c. Easterling Archers are 35pts and Corsair Arbalesters are 25.... despite xbow having twice the lethality most of the time (and 50% more the rest). So really, those costs should be the other way around, Isengard Xbow is just about right.

How are the Easterling players out there running their archers/xbow?

Pistols At Dawn
14-02-2010, 12:12
Sorry to drag this off pike a litte but a mate is starting Easterlings and I think there is a related problem with the figs.

Fallen Realms can have Corsair Arbalesters, but a. they just look wrong to a lot of Easterling Players b. They have Easterling Archers anyway and c. Easterling Archers are 35pts and Corsair Arbalesters are 25.... despite xbow having twice the lethality most of the time (and 50% more the rest). So really, those costs should be the other way around, Isengard Xbow is just about right.

How are the Easterling players out there running their archers/xbow?

Well, I'm planning to use Easterling archers because I'll have three companies worth from the plastics box once I'm finished building the pike phalanx. I'll also end up with a lot of Haradrim archers hanging around as well, so will be well covered for missile troops. The arbalesters are supposed to be superb but I should imagine the cost of metals will put a lot of people off. The same thing as half-troll companies I guess, they look great but would cost 64 for two companies.

The Marshel
15-02-2010, 06:57
couldn't be to hard to make easterling "arbalesters". Get you're hands on some cross bows, plastic card shields and maybe some of the hand weapon easterlings and i'm sure one could knock something up

Xelee
16-02-2010, 11:32
couldn't be to hard to make easterling "arbalesters". Get you're hands on some cross bows, plastic card shields and maybe some of the hand weapon easterlings and i'm sure one could knock something up
I actually wondered if you couldn't just plausibly make them very heavy bow, since it's Fantasy. Steel bow or something like that?

Find some way to distinguish them as an Elite/Rare (colour, banners, ornamentation or whatever) and then use the bow figs, pay the bow cost but give them Arbalester Stats? So you get Str 4 Bow that cannot move and fire. Perhaps even have them as def 5 rather than 3(6). I know it's a custom unit, but they could always be fielded as Arbalesters for Arbalester costs if anyone really preferred to face that...

Whitwort Stormbringer
25-02-2010, 23:42
Coming full circle back to the issue of not enough pikes in the box, www.bitzbarn.com in the US sells individual LotR models, and last I checked they had some Easterling pikemen in stock. There seem to be various other "plastic bitz" sellers out there on the net, not sure who carries LotR stuff though.

Fair warning, though, they do seem to run out of stock quickly.

LuciusAR
26-02-2010, 13:30
If you can find suitable pikes, converting pikemen from swordsmen is suprising easy. You may need to reposition the arms but this is rather easy and can be done with just a modeling knife.

Here are some of mine. I used actual pikes, you can get these from any makes of 28mm aincents for about 10p each.

McLucien18
12-03-2010, 16:53
What I do, that none of my opponents has had an issue with, is place pikes in the front half of a company, and normal swords behind them. They can see that they're armed with pikes because of them being at the front, and they understand how frustrating it is not getting enough in a box.

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with this, its very clear that the unit does have pikes with this method. Plus, the book advocates that its perfectly fine as long as the majority are representative of their weapons.

This way you effectively get 1 company shield, 1 company pike and 1/2 company archer in each box, which is cool.

Darthvegeta800
30-03-2010, 10:10
Anyone else had problems removing the pikes? They damage easily and filing of the bit of plastic that sticks on the pole at times is not very easy.