PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered using the Green Knight model in Empire army?

igotsmeakabob!!
12-02-2010, 21:00
Alright, so I'll admit it... I'm a bit jealous of the Green Knight model and its awesomeness (I'm also a fan of the Arthurian legend). Have any Empire players tried using him in their armies, as a mounted General etc?
Is this justifiable, or do you think I should just leave Bretonnian models with the Bretonnians?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jack of Blades
12-02-2010, 21:02
If it's on the right base size, any model goes as long as it's not something like representing Archaon with a clanrat. For example, I'd let you use the Green Knight as a Bloodthirster because you can fluff it to be something else than a Bloodthirster.

igotsmeakabob!!
12-02-2010, 21:04
Well it really isn't a question of whether I CAN do it, but rather whether the average Warhammer player would consider it an untoward use.
Oh, and suggestions on to make it workable.. for instance, bitz additions or color variations (the latter I'd prefer to stay away from but.. I'd accept).

Jack of Blades
12-02-2010, 21:05
I answered your question, I would let you. Afraid I don't have any suggestions at the time, depends on what kind of look you want for him.

tezdal
12-02-2010, 21:45
I would be deeply if offended if the Green Knight ran off to play with shoeless empire runts. The lady would then have to give 'em a spanking and explain again with yard is hers and which is Sigmars.

BigbyWolf
12-02-2010, 22:44
My WoC Tzeentch lord is a (now blue/ purple) Green Knight who spends half his time on a horse and the other half on a dragon, so my answer to your question would be, no, you can't. Because I'm mean.

Seriously though, can't see anyone having a problem with it...although I would suggest filing down the Fleur de Lys pattern on the horse to make it less noticeable.

Narcissus
13-02-2010, 01:09
I am also using the green knight model for my chaos lord. Sorcerer lord to be exact. Of Slaanesh. I love that model. No problem using it for empire in my opinion. Might be best with a different empire general or knight. If it fits, I would use the empire general body and bits to build a nice general on the green knight horse. Otherwise add an empire knight upper body onto the green knight legs.

Dai-Mongar
13-02-2010, 02:05
I've considered using him in just about every army I've collected, because he's just that awesome. As far as using him in Empire, I'd try and obliterate any Bret markings on the model (Fleurs de Lys) and replace them with appropriate Empire icons (twin-tailed comets, hammers, lots of SKULLZ).
I remember seeing a nice conversion of the GK as a mercenary general, by Dave Taylor I think.

Putty
13-02-2010, 02:32
i think the new plastic general of the empire model has potential to look better than the GK

TonyFlow
13-02-2010, 16:10
Actually no... untill now that is.

I have a model of the green knight lying around and i really like it, but i dont play bretonnia. Always wanted to do something with the model and now i have shaved of all the fleur de lys and started painting him. Not sure wether to use him as a general or a templar grandmaster though. Might be able to fit him into the fluff as a disgraced bretonnian knight fleeing to the empire and setting up a knightly order thereby explaining the exotic trimmings... Dunno... but first i have to figure out a colour scheme for the order........

Dai-Mongar
13-02-2010, 16:37
Actually no... untill now that is.

I have a model of the green knight lying around and i really like it, but i dont play bretonnia. Always wanted to do something with the model and now i have shaved of all the fleur de lys and started painting him. Not sure wether to use him as a general or a templar grandmaster though. Might be able to fit him into the fluff as a disgraced bretonnian knight fleeing to the empire and setting up a knightly order thereby explaining the exotic trimmings... Dunno... but first i have to figure out a colour scheme for the order........

May I suggest... green? :angel:

TonyFlow
15-02-2010, 04:16
In case anyone wants to see it, here is a couple of pictures of how i have made my green knight look as empireish as possible:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4759.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4761.jpg

Hope you like it. I will paint it as soon as possible and then post a picture of him then, so you guys can see if he will work in an empire army or not.

Arbiter7
15-02-2010, 08:18
People usually use it for lords because of the nice decor on the horse.

But I think that the Empire Range is already absolutely fantastic if you want to make lords.

For a more involved general, apart from the general box (which is cool) you can use Marius Leitdorf's horse (and him of course)

For an Grand Master I can think of no better than the Kurt Hellborg model.

For a mounted BSB, the Ludwig Schwartzhelm model is amazing.

There are other options, but I would only use the green knight's horse.

Poseidal
15-02-2010, 09:12
I use him as a WoC hero. Looks reasonably menacing if you make a visible eye glow.

I haven't thought to use him in my Empire amy yet though.

The Red Scourge
15-02-2010, 11:07
I considered him as a wood elf highborn wild rider - as we all know that he really is an elf under that helmet of his :)

tezdal
15-02-2010, 11:15
Posh..everyone knows he Gilles Le Breton, because our founder dosnt need a comet or the local village idiot as his avatar to be cool, he hangs out in the woods slap-chopping beastmen.

The Red Scourge
15-02-2010, 11:40
Giles... Right.. ;)

Tokamak
15-02-2010, 18:28
Why not just play Brettonians?

igotsmeakabob!!
15-02-2010, 18:42
In case anyone wants to see it, here is a couple of pictures of how i have made my green knight look as empireish as possible:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4759.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4761.jpg

Hope you like it. I will paint it as soon as possible and then post a picture of him then, so you guys can see if he will work in an empire army or not.

Have a quick list of what you did to him? Looks good.

TonyFlow
18-02-2010, 06:06
Quite simple really... Cut off all the fleur de lys. Be careful here not to cut yourself, some of them are difficult to get to and i didnt get all of them (one is going to be covered by the shield anyways). I then cut the three bannerpoles off the thing that goes in his back and drilled a hole in it to put a piece of thick steel wire with a banner pole top from a handgunner spue i think. The other stuff on the bannerpole is from the HE dragon kit (the axe) but anything you have lying around should also look great. And then of course i used a shield from the Empire general/BSB box.

The reason i would love to use this model instead of all the choices in the empire range is that i dont like the obsene amount of Skulls and KF all over them... You should think that all empire models within the last few years are all one competition about putting as many skulls as possible on a single model... Ludwig Schwarzhelm has over 20... TWENTY!?? And just filling waaaaay too much detail on them.
I like the models a bit more simple and this one fits the bill... I am only concerned that he looks TOO bretonnian still.... Please tell me what you think.

Here are a couple of pictures of him... i decided for a captain because i love the averland colourscheme.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4764.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4763.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/rasmusbengtsen/IMG_4765.jpg

Darnok
18-02-2010, 14:14
Hell yes! The model is just awesome.

I would change the shield, and leave the banners off, but other than that the model fits perfectly nice. It even ahs the very imperial "we have too big feathers on everything that doesn't run away fast enough". :D

Where should a problem arise? It is a guy on a horse...

Why not just play Brettonians?

Maybe because one might like the Empire in general and this one model specifically? This is a question concerning models, not rules.

ChaosVC
19-02-2010, 03:21
The green knight is actually a carstien vampier with a carstien ring upgrade. So I will paint him ghostly green and spread blood on his sword like peanut butter jam.