PDA

View Full Version : Abyssal Terror

ftayl5
13-02-2010, 03:50
Hey everyone
I've been building a VC army for a lil while and was thinking of getting an abyssal terror. So i'm wondering what models other people have used as an abyssal terror since there isnt an 'official' one.
Ideas, comments, stories all welcome
Thanks

Rosstifer
13-02-2010, 05:29
There is an official one, it's just.... how do I put this in a nice way... Showing it's age?

on GW website listed as "Winged Nightmare" but it doesn't look or seem like the Vampire Books description of a Winged Nightmare...

snurl
13-02-2010, 05:32
I don't know if you ever played the Super Mario game but I use an old Happy meal toy that looks like the boss ghost from the ghost house level. It gets some laughs. :D

Thurizdan
13-02-2010, 06:49
There is an official one, it's just.... how do I put this in a nice way... Showing it's age?

on GW website listed as "Winged Nightmare" but it doesn't look or seem like the Vampire Books description of a Winged Nightmare...

That model is from 6th. In 6th Edition the Abyssal Terror was called a Winged Nightmare but I guess they changed it because it was nothing like a Nightmare.

snurl
13-02-2010, 07:43
That model is from 6th. In 6th Edition the Abyssal Terror was called a Winged Nightmare but I guess they changed it because it was nothing like a Nightmare.

....its not even a bad dream

Honestly though that big new tyranid thing might make a good abyssal terror.

Bodysnatcher
13-02-2010, 08:26
I've seen a conversion that hybridised a Vargulf and a DE Manticore - looked quite cool.

phoenixguard09
13-02-2010, 08:46
My friend glued the head of a random Vampire model (maybe Konrad?) onto the good Empire Gryphon rider's body. Then he got me to carve out the stomach and put in wire and greenstuff ribs and innards and put nasty sores and stuff all over it. He painted it up all dark and evilish.

enyoss
13-02-2010, 09:57

I thought it was originally from 5th edition, being one of the releases with the short lived, and first of it's kind, Vampire Counts army book?

Avian
13-02-2010, 10:12
No, there was a similar model released for the 5th edition VC book, but it's not the same.

5th ed to the left, 6th ed to the right.

BigbyWolf
13-02-2010, 10:44
For friendly games I had been using Arkhan the Blacks flying chariot...but that does cause severe base-size issues.

I went off the idea of the Terror anyway, I just didn't find it "hitty" enough for the points, and tended to go for the Hellsteed as it benefitted from the Wristbands of Black Gold ward save.

GreenSpeed
13-02-2010, 13:38
Fellbeast from lotr

75hastings69
13-02-2010, 15:00
I was lucky enough that a friend took a commission sculpting job for my idea of a very large undead crow (almost dragon sized) I will get it painted soon so I can show off....

tarrym
13-02-2010, 20:15
I went into GW Manchester today and spotted they had done a conversion on the Archaon model to create an Abyssal Terror.

Basically they had the daemonic mount from archaon, attached the wings from be'lakor, and put a bretonnian hero on top. Looked really good.

ftayl5
13-02-2010, 22:15
Fellbeast from lotr

hmm I like this idea. Thanks everyone.

Commodus Leitdorf
13-02-2010, 22:34
Friend of mine converted one up using a Bretonnian Hippogrif and a Varghulf....It's pretty darn sweet....but alot of work I would imagine (must remember to ask him).

enyoss
13-02-2010, 22:38
No, there was a similar model released for the 5th edition VC book, but it's not the same.

5th ed to the left, 6th ed to the right.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'd forgotten that the 5th edition monster was ridden by Melkior, and thought it had just always been ridden by Blood Dragon.

Apologies to Thurizdan for correcting you incorrectly! :)