PDA

View Full Version : Using Wood Elves as HE archers?

tezdal
13-02-2010, 05:21
Would Wood elves painted in white's and blues look really out of place in HE army? Been looking on the internet but havnt seen any used like that. Not really a fan of the "modern" HE archers, got some of the old ones with scale mail like the spearmen though.

Stegadeth
13-02-2010, 05:31
Do you just prefer the models? If the answer is yes, then by all means use them!

tezdal
13-02-2010, 05:59
Yes definately prefer the models, also thinking of my old HE archers from 5th as shadow warriors, they have light armor and would fit in better with the Shadow warriors.

scipunk
13-02-2010, 07:35
Wood Elves archers or Wood Elves in general model wise....have an ambushy feel to them where as for the High Elves are majestic in look and feel.

As Stegadeth said...if you like the models...by all means...but fluff wise it might look out of place.

Zarroc
13-02-2010, 09:04
Pretty sure wood elves where pants, where high elves go with long robes (dresses) except shadow warriors....

So i dont think it would fit in very well, regardless of how you painted them... just wouldnt seem very uniform

brendel
13-02-2010, 10:17
The elves of Avelorn are more at kin with wood elves, so I can't see any problems floff wise fitting them into your army.

Condottiere
13-02-2010, 10:43
Maybe change the colour scheme from green and brown to white and black.

The SkaerKrow
13-02-2010, 12:48
You could absolutely substitute Glade Guard models for your High Elf Archer models, and if you prefer the Wood Elf figures, then you absolutely should.

tezdal
13-02-2010, 15:59
Yea I might just use the HE archers for now, doing a Caledor army with bright red colors, maybe pick up some glade guard for a future WE force.

Preacher
13-02-2010, 16:12
When I started putting together my HE archers I had the same thoughts, I have a lot of WE around(my main army).

But instead of using the WE ones what I did was use torso's and helmets from the Spearmen sprues and arms and legs from the Archer sprues. I think they look a lot better. Still get the effect of the robe but they don't look like they came for a pajama party.

In terms of the game I'd never give them light armour, but they look much better with it. I was also doing a Caledor themed army and figured it made more sense fluff wise to have a "tougher" looking archer.

Sadly I've shelved the HE for Lizardmen at this time, but still want to come back and finish them.

You could still use the WE ones, I'd think about maybe painting some of the pieces of cloth as "armour looking" though.

Witchblade
13-02-2010, 17:16
I think they'd look out of place without significant conversion, but hey, it's your army.

Artinam
13-02-2010, 17:39
You could base the army as being from one of the more rougher lands of Ulthuan justifying the more sneaky look of the archers.

ChaosVC
13-02-2010, 19:41
Nice idea, I might do it myself for my special High elf archer unit, the militia rangers perhaps. Good thinking there.

Sir_Turalyon
14-02-2010, 19:48
Archers from Avelorn or Chrace can easily have more rural look. If you have extra heads from speamen box consider using them on your archers instead of hoods.

Troah
14-02-2010, 20:32
I see nothing wrong with using Wood Elves as High Elf archers...I use a Dragon Ogre as a Hippogryph. :D