PDA

View Full Version : Magnets

Tarliyn
14-02-2010, 00:03
Hey i am looking for a site that sells magnets that would be good for magnatizing my units. I would prefer a site out of the US if possible. They need to be strong enough to hold my guys in place durning a game and transport (they will be standing upright durning transport) but not so strong that it is hard to pull them off. I looked for rare earth magnets in the town i live in but no place has them.

Sorry if this has been posted before, my comp is broke and the search fuction doesn't work on my phone.

Thanks,
Tarl

JRD4
14-02-2010, 00:17
I like these guys:

http://www.wargameaccessories.com/wargameaccessories/Products.htm

Fast shipping and take paypal.

nzdarkelf
14-02-2010, 00:55
Why do you wish them to be outside the US given you are in Iowa. Gale Force 9 produce very good magnetic bases in Warhammer sizes. I have just recently started started using them. I only have 20x20mm for my infantry but I have glued these to the underside of GW's 25x25mm bases for my Chaos Marauders and that worked well.

Warlord Gnashgrod
14-02-2010, 01:12
Litko isn't too bad. I've used them.

Smacksaw5000
14-02-2010, 01:43
Look on ebay, there is usually a guy on there always selling 100 for $16 USD with free shipping which is a good price. My flgs charges $0.20 each.

My opinion, don't buy the gale force nine magnetic bases. I paid a ton of money to do my entire 5000 points of O&G bases and they don't hold well enough. If you turn them upside down all the figures fall off. The mini magnets are great, they can handle a flip and a shake and not budge at all. The only choice for me now.

Gork or Possibly Mork
14-02-2010, 01:43
I actually just recently magnitized my whole Lizardmen army with magnet tape strips from my local walmart.

The product is called

Magnetic Tape Strips and comes in a green packace with a rainbow logo. It has 18 adhesive strips
5x4 inches.

I glued the strips on movement trays and cut and glued them on the bases as well. My TG with Slann can be held up side down without the metal Slann falling out so they are pretty powerful.

One thing of note if you do buy some. Be careful and make sure you glue the strips on the trays and the bases the same flow or you can get some jumping from the magnetic poles counter working against each other. e.g. if you go left to right for the strips, don't go up down for the bases. Keep the direction consistant and you shouldn't have any problems.

I made that mistake on the first time and had to do it over.

Anyway I see your from the states so this might be a cheap and easy option to try. I found them in the hobby/paint department. Where they sell apple barrel brand paints, jewelry etc.

My advice would be to buy a pack and try it out to see if you like them. I will say Im very happy with them and will be doing my OnG's and Ogres as well.

Tarliyn
14-02-2010, 02:44
Oh snap i was to worried about my phone and typed the wrong thing, i meant inside the US

Warlord Gnashgrod
14-02-2010, 04:16
Litko Aeorsystems is in the US.

shaso_iceborn
14-02-2010, 04:27
http://www.amazingmagnets.com/ best I ever found

Stegadeth
14-02-2010, 04:30
I like the 1/16" discs from amazingmagnets.com which fit in slotted bases easy enough. Dead cheap. 100 for $5.50. One will hold a plastic figure to a sheet metal movement tray (also dead cheap! Go to the hardware store, ask them to cut the sheet metal however you want it, 5"x4" for 5 25mm bases across and 4 deep) with ease. No lip that way either, so you can get up flush and your bases show up better. A couple of magnets works fine on a metal figure.

Forget paying $10 just for stands. Magnetize your whole 3000 point army for that.

ObiWan
14-02-2010, 04:39
K&J Magnetics in the states, they are great and have a lot of sizes

smallgreenguy
14-02-2010, 12:58
K&J Magnetics in the states, they are great and have a lot of sizes

I have to mightily second that.

xragg
14-02-2010, 14:13
http://stores.ebay.com/LucksHouse

Where I get mine. Someone else on warseer pointed me to them.

nzdarkelf
14-02-2010, 22:27
My opinion, don't buy the gale force nine magnetic bases. I paid a ton of money to do my entire 5000 points of O&G bases and they don't hold well enough. If you turn them upside down all the figures fall off.

Gosh. Ever thought the problem might be with the user?

Mine hold just fine including being turned upside down. Of course if you throw them around the won't hold. My friends are a bit ginger about removing casualties for me because the resistance when first breaking the magnetic bond feels to them like they might be breaking something.