PDA

View Full Version : Custodes spear

srgt. gak
14-02-2010, 03:11
Hey can anyone tell me if the spear/ hallbeard things the custodes carry are power weapons, force weapons, or just a plain old jane blade that would count as a ccw

Inquisitor Engel
14-02-2010, 04:03
I'm guessing, given the reputation of Custodes, Grey Knight Grand Master-class Force Weapons that fire AP2 Str 5 Rapid fire blast template bolter shells...

MajorWesJanson
14-02-2010, 06:01
I'm guessing, given the reputation of Custodes, Grey Knight Grand Master-class Force Weapons that fire AP2 Str 5 Rapid fire blast template bolter shells...

I would say Relic Blades that add 1 attack and have a ranged profile 24" Str4 AP2 Assault 3

shabbadoo
14-02-2010, 10:49
Under the rules they would count as a +2 Strength force weapon with a built-in stormbolter, and it takes two hands to wield them(i.e. no +1 close combat weapon bonus allowed).

borithan
14-02-2010, 11:12
I have heard some say that long ago the stats for them were like portable lascannons...

Close combat abilities I have heard nothing on.

MegaPope
14-02-2010, 11:46
I have heard some say that long ago the stats for them were like portable lascannons...

Close combat abilities I have heard nothing on.

That's from the original RT background, when they were described as laser spears. But then the Custodes themselves were very different. All the modern stuff about them describes them as sort of super-Grey Knights, but this is more the way they were pre-Heresy. RT seems to describe the 'modern' Custodes - after the Emperor's internment they went into a 10,000 year mourning, changed their uniforms to all-black and now never leave the Imperial Palace, let alone Terra. However, they were still absolute hardcases - the basic trooper had a statline better than a contemporary Space Marine Captain, quite a few of the officers were psykers, and equipment was pretty much 'whatever you want them to have...they're THAT important'. :)

bigcheese76
14-02-2010, 12:33
In game terms its probably best to count them as Nemesis Force Weapons as wielded by grey knights. Then the model is eqipped with the NFW and a storm bolter.

Archangel_Ruined
14-02-2010, 12:38
Fluff wise they're an "I have this weapon, you and all of your friends are dead". In game terms they'd be a terminator equivalent nemesis force weapon, so +2S power weapons with inbuilt storm bolters, only custodes wouldn't be using run of the mill ammo so AP3 would be likely. These are the soldiers trusted with guarding the emperor, if it exists in the imperium they'll have first dibs on it.

Noserenda
14-02-2010, 14:00
Relic blade and a storm bolter seems more accurate. Mostly because even if they did have force weapons, They arent psykers... :angel:

Illiterate Scribe
14-02-2010, 14:09
Relic blade and a storm bolter seems more accurate. Mostly because even if they did have force weapons, They arent psykers... :angel:

This (although actually, it'd be a twin-linked bolter, of course, since the Guardian Spear (the weapon's proper name name) is a pre-Heresy weapon. I think this - together with Sternguard-style special issue ammunition - is how Tempus Fugitives run it, and it seems to work pretty well in their pre-Heresy campaigns.

Also, they're not just 'not psykers', but some of the short stories ('Blood Games', I think? The one where Amon Tauromachian is testing the defences of the Imperial Palace) it almost seems to imply that Custodes are somehow immune to psychic phenomena - they don't show up on psychic scanners, etc. They aren't pariahs - that's the Sisterhood - but something's definitely funny about them.

Given their role, combat effectiveness, and origin, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if they were infused with a small amount of divine warp power.

Archangel_Ruined
14-02-2010, 14:22
Isn't it written somewhere that they're the original space marines, but made from the emperors geneseed. Thus I'd be very suprised if they aren't psykers, them not showing up on psy-scans probably just means they're very good psykers...

Illiterate Scribe
14-02-2010, 14:56
Isn't it written somewhere that they're the original space marines, but made from the emperors geneseed. Thus I'd be very suprised if they aren't psykers, them not showing up on psy-scans probably just means they're very good psykers...

Well, they seem to be made by a different process - the head Custodian, Constantin Valdor predates even the Primarchs, which means he predates the geneseed creation process (as per Horus' vision). I suspect they're individually genetically engineered, possibly with some of Emps' genetic tissue.

You could be right, they might be psykers, but the fact that psychic custodes are never mentioned, they didn't seem to have anything to do with the Librarian edict, and that they work in close proximity with the anti-psyker Sisters of Silence suggests that they're not.

Archangel_Ruined
14-02-2010, 15:07
Well, maybe not geneseed but I'm sure the emperors genetic material was used somewhere in the process, and from what was learned creating them he moved on to the primarch project. That would place each custode somewhere between marine and primarch level, ie. quite bloody hard. Whether they're psykers I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. I certainly don't think they're nulls, I'm sure the emperor wouldn't want to be knocking about with a bunch of people who give him the willies. They'd also have to work in close proximity with the Sisters of Silence, they'd be responsible for feeding the golden throne after all. It's one of those areas I hope GW never do clarify, I like my 40k background a bit fuzzy at the edges.

Inquisitor Engel
14-02-2010, 15:17
I would say Relic Blades that add 1 attack and have a ranged profile 24" Str4 AP2 Assault 3

Your sarcasm detector is off.;)

MajorWesJanson
14-02-2010, 15:50
Your sarcasm detector is off.;)

Nah, I caught it, just was changing the topic to a more serious reply.

I remember the old grey knights models used to have the Guardian spear design.