PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing mech Guard have some questions.

Wednesday Friday Addams
14-02-2010, 09:18
So I am far more a fantasy player then a 40k player so I am not really sure about this.
I have read many mech lists that use veterans instead of normal guard platoons and was wondering how well a mech list works with the majority of troops being normal guardsman in transports.
The next inquiry is in a 2000 point list is 8 - 10 chimera's a good number to try and fit all the squads or is under or overboard?

Bingo the Fun Monkey
14-02-2010, 09:53
I'll be following this with interest as I've just finished stripping all my steel legionaires and have a stash of 5 unassembled chimeras...

Tourniquet
14-02-2010, 10:57
Well the thing is, veterans are just much much much betetr the normal guardsman. So it makes getting them transport worth it.

Zoring
14-02-2010, 11:55
Depends on what you want them to do. As Anti-Infantry units, Upgunned Infantry Platoons are a better option (allowing you to have more! dont discount the lasgun it does work with enough blasting)

As anti-tank though, there is no better option then the Vets, the ability to have 3x Meltas combined with other sillier weapons is unbeatable for the Mechanized.

WinglessVT2
14-02-2010, 12:18
Veterans are ballisticskill 4, which means they bring reliable meltaguns to the table, and many special weapons per unit.
Those who aren't really interested in this, and just want something to put inside their transports, take regular guardsmen instead.

This puts the focus on your vehicles, rather than the people hiding inside your vehicles.
Remember that a chimera without cargo still represents a lot of firepower.

bigcheese76
14-02-2010, 12:28
Veterans are much more worth it to put in chimeras than regular infantry platoons.
Although, one awesome squad to put from a platoon in a chimera is a Platoon Command Squad with four flamers. Mount them in a chimera with a multilaser and a heavy flamer, and get burning.

Archangel_Ruined
14-02-2010, 12:28
You can always give your vets 3 grenade launchers and an autocannon or heavy bolter and just park your chims at the back and blast away from the top hatch. That's a lot of accurate AP4 mid strength fire from the squad, combined with a double HB chim that's a shed load of nasty shooting. With a couple of melta spammed vet units too you can cover most potential targets. Add a last minute objective dash and it's a very viable build.

krillbur
14-02-2010, 15:34
In my 2000p mechlist i have 8Chimeras with regulars. They either have lascannon/Autocannon each with mostly plasma. Works wonder against MEQ and you have enough to reserve some for greater tactical choice. turn 2 or 3 and you pretty much have the enemy surrounded by a wall of AV12 /14.

PluS: it adds a sweet deal of epicness when 2nd platoon roars in from your table quarter, ready to save the day/stab at the enemys weak point.