PDA

View Full Version : How many armies is too much?

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 03:10
I have four armies:

skaven
tomb kings
bretonnians
high elves.

Also, when the mood is on me i have imperial guard for 40k for painting.

Now don't get me wrong, I have figures from other armies i've painted for display purposes and to test my skills, but otherwise I stick to my quad-force.

What do you think? How many is to much?

Ultimate Life Form
15-02-2010, 03:16
To be honest I think there is no such thing as too many armies; it's more a matter of too many models. Four 500 points armies are vastly different from one 10000 points army (or four 10000 points armies for that matter. :D)

Also we have to differentiate; four elite armies are certainly not too much (Daemons, Lizardmen, High Elves and Wood Elves) while four super-horde armies (Skaven, Gobbos, Gnoblars and Peasant spam) would be extreme.

GrimnarDwarfoftheSouth
15-02-2010, 03:36
I personally believe that you should have as many armies as you want. Do whatever what makes you happy!

I personally have a sizable dwarf army, lots of orcs for them to fight, about three or four dogs of war regiments and some empire dudes.

JimmyFrank
15-02-2010, 04:00
There is no such thing as too much warhammer (unless baliffs are repossessing your tv)

Jind_Singh
15-02-2010, 04:05
no such thing!

Volker the Mad Fiddler
15-02-2010, 04:11
Let's see- near 10,000 points of Empire, 6000 of Dwarfs, and 2k-4k of Bretts, HE, WE, DoW, DE, Beastmen, LM, O&G, Chaos [Mortals and Daemons]. Don't you feel better now about only 4 armies.

SilentTempest
15-02-2010, 04:27
Like JimmyFrank says, when you can't afford to eat because you're buying another Warhammer unit, maybe it's time to pull back a little. But as long as you enjoy it and it's not negatively affecting any other aspect of your life, I don't see any reason to stop.

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 04:27
yes well, this is all good feedback. my problem is as follows:

When I got into wargaming at the tender age of ten (I am seventeen now) I bought what cought my fancy and did not pay attention to army structure, etc.

Around two-three years back I pulled myself out of that spiraling abyss and now i have the armies mentioned in my earlier post, as well as extra models for display or painting purposes.

My problem is that I do not want to be thrown back into what I named "many-model syndrome" or MMS for short. I don't want to lose cohesion and destroy what semblance of boundaries I currently have.

Hence why I posed the question here on the boards.

Witchblade
15-02-2010, 04:41
When I got into wargaming at the tender age of ten (I am seventeen now) I bought what cought my fancy and did not pay attention to army structure, etc.
I remember being like that. When I go through my storage area, I sometimes still find the most random stuff and then I remember having bought it years back.

lopezpie
15-02-2010, 04:52
I think a lot of us suffer from mms at a early age.. and well I went for whatever I thought was the coolest. Now that I'm older I'm starting to realize that I have just too many models... I cant keep track of all my armies... but man it is so hard to get the strength to let one go and sell them off. I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean all those countless hours put into the models. its hard to just give em away... or sell..

Stegadeth
15-02-2010, 05:01
You have too many armies if you are buying any of them on credit. You have too many armies if you have to choose between a decent meal or ramen and a blister. You have too many armies if you forget how many armies you actually have. You have too many armies if you can't find all of your armies. You have too many armies if you can run a three player per side, 10k per player game... by yourself. You have too many armies if you get a thank you card when your local games shop owner's child graduates from college.

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 05:11
I think a lot of us suffer from mms at a early age.. and well I went for whatever I thought was the coolest. Now that I'm older I'm starting to realize that I have just too many models... I cant keep track of all my armies... but man it is so hard to get the strength to let one go and sell them off. I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean all those countless hours put into the models. its hard to just give em away... or sell..

I traded alot of my unused stuff for models for my 4 chosen armies.

The problem is that the lizardmen army book cover is quite attractive.....

Stegadeth
15-02-2010, 05:14
I traded alot of my unused stuff for models for my 4 chosen armies.

The problem is that the lizardmen army book cover is quite attractive.....

The cover? You should see what's inside!

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lizardmen Enabler.

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 05:44
I have the book. Case in point, I've been playing too much mideval TW 2 america's campaign lately.

But my problem stands.

tezdal
15-02-2010, 05:52
You can never have too many armies............as long as they are painted!

Jind_Singh
15-02-2010, 06:21
I have 11,000 pts DoC, 3000 Empire, 9000 Orcs and goblins, 3000 pts Ogres, 250 Skaven, and I now want Beastman. I plan to also have other armies - pretty much anything but High Elves!

The Red Scourge
15-02-2010, 07:49
You only have too much, when you run out of room for storage, or when you're just stocking up on metal and plastic and not painting the minis :)

I've personally got 4k of WoC - looking for a new home. And about the same in VC and Wood Elves. And should I decide to get rid of the WoC, I'd probably do a Khainite or beast army to fill the gap :)

Shamutanti
15-02-2010, 08:24
I don't tend to take armies above 3k myself, but I've got 6 armies for Fantasy and 7 for 40k, all of that points bracket.

A friend of mine though has currently 16k of Empire, and it's expanding. He's doing a 3k army for every Empire state and then a 4k for Altdorf.

He's got 3 states done so far, Altdorf half done and then a smattering from other states (including Kislev). Quite an epic project to watch.

To some people, more than 1 army is too much but really it's down to what the hobby is to you and whatcha want to achieve.

Toshiro
15-02-2010, 08:33
There's not really any general to much limit, it's up to each person. I have two armies, TK and O&G, both around 3k. I plan on getting OK for my third army, but I'm going to (try anyway) wait until I've finished painting my current armies before I get the next one :)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-02-2010, 08:56
Heh, I wish I had the self awareness at your age to conceive of possible self imposed "boundaries" with regards to army building. I found myself at that juncture when I was 20. Basically, you want to set boundaries and at your age you can begin setting priorities. For example, if you have 4 armies (obviously you have a source of income, if you're working great!; if not, well, you got time), and don't have good grades, maybe it's time to consider spending less time collecting and more time doing your college apps/studying and rewarding yourself by painting a designated segment of your army.

The second thing to consider is where you will take your hobby now. Do you plan to expand your existing armies or starting new ones? Set a budget, and prioritize more important things that are relevant to your functionality in the future (like saving up emergency cash that can eventually be invested in the business of You).

As long as you are able to keep developing as a person and never stagnate at a certain stage and keep improving, you'll be able to responsibly enjoy your hobby and life in general.

BTW: I don't mean to preach. It's not nice when someone from Whineseer tells you how to live your life and enjoy your hobby. So I apologize if I came off that way. :) This stuff's like crack! :chrome:

wbravenboer
15-02-2010, 08:56
When you have no more room to store them, then you have too many armies!
My armies? Empire, Dwarfs, Ogres, Orcs, Deamons, Vampires, Dark Elves, Chaos, Skaven, Lizardmen... Tau, Tyranids, Orks, Space Marines, Deamons (that's nice; 1 army, two games), Imperial Guard, Witchhunters... and.. most of them are painted!

Condottiere
15-02-2010, 09:42
Since I play DoW, I can have small contingents of almost everything.

Desert Rain
15-02-2010, 10:13
I have about 7000 points of High Elves and 2000 points of Lizardmen and I'm thinking about starting either Warriors of Chaos or Vampire Counts when the new edition comes. I don't think you can have to many armies, as long as they make you happy you can't be wrong can you?

BigbyWolf
15-02-2010, 10:20
No such thing as too many! If you run out of money for food, just paint more...the fumes supress hunger!

I currently have 4 armies, Orcs and Goblins (Around 7500pts), WoC (3-4k or more if I use trolls), VC (3k) and Beastmen (3.5k).

I used to have Empire, TK, Skaven, Wood Elves (As well as more OnG and Chaos), before it got nicked a few years ago (or in the case of the Wood Elves, given to the missus) and I've been rebuilding ever since.

That's the beauty (and curse) of being a Warhammer fanatic when you have a full time job...it means you can afford to go out and splurge whenever you want. I still remember being 13 and having to save up to buy things, in fact my first actual full army was a prepainted 2k second hand army of OnG that cost my parents 60 as a Christmas present.

WarmbloodedLizard
15-02-2010, 11:10
I think around 2000-4000 (raw) points (or 1-2 armies) per 5 years in the hobby is normal. anything above is kind of crazy :) (assuming you assemble and paint them yourself, if you buy them assembled and painted (which I would do if i had the money) it really only depends on how much room and money you have)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
15-02-2010, 11:48
I only have one army but it is a big one( 20 000pts of greenskins and it keeps getting bigger).

Cheers,
G

Lorcryst
15-02-2010, 12:08
I'm a collector first, gamer second and painter third ... I've been "in the hobby" for the last twenty years or so, and I have accumulated a whole truckload of models :

In no particular order : 3K of WoC, 2K of DoC, roughly 4K of OnG, 1K of Empire and Dwarfs, 2K of Beasts, roughly 6K of various space marines, 2K of Catachans ... and that's only what I have now, I had to sell my 4K of Skavens and most of my Dwarfs ... plus a few models that I found so beautiful that I had to buy them ...

Too much ? No such thing in my book !

Baggers
15-02-2010, 12:31
It all depends on you, really. I have 6 armies of various size, even though the Dwarf Slayer list is no longer tournie legal, and I want more. I want a decent size army of every army.

As I said it really comes down to you. If you want a Lizardmen army, then get one. If you don't then dont.

Brady
15-02-2010, 15:55
my mate has 6 fantasy armies and 6 40k armies! he has at least 1500 point in each :wtf:

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 16:13
Heh, I wish I had the self awareness at your age to conceive of possible self imposed "boundaries" with regards to army building. I found myself at that juncture when I was 20. Basically, you want to set boundaries and at your age you can begin setting priorities. For example, if you have 4 armies (obviously you have a source of income, if you're working great!; if not, well, you got time), and don't have good grades, maybe it's time to consider spending less time collecting and more time doing your college apps/studying and rewarding yourself by painting a designated segment of your army.

The second thing to consider is where you will take your hobby now. Do you plan to expand your existing armies or starting new ones? Set a budget, and prioritize more important things that are relevant to your functionality in the future (like saving up emergency cash that can eventually be invested in the business of You).

As long as you are able to keep developing as a person and never stagnate at a certain stage and keep improving, you'll be able to responsibly enjoy your hobby and life in general.

BTW: I don't mean to preach. It's not nice when someone from Whineseer tells you how to live your life and enjoy your hobby. So I apologize if I came off that way. :) This stuff's like crack! :chrome:

I have a source of income. its ten bucks each week in allowance. pitifull I know. It used to be twenty.

I have tried like mad to get a job, but with the space center getting cut down fit washingtons budget, a hiring freeze has turned into a hiring lockdown. Unless one of my business proposals goes through,i'll probably be out of work till college. which, depending on if i get my gold seal scholarship, could mean lean times.

i'm talking half rashions of ramen, with no warhammer buying to speak of. Its kind of why i'm trying to get my four armies to 2250 quickly (three are there, high elves not so much.

Now you might see the totallity of my conundrum.

Gwyddyon
15-02-2010, 16:24
Once you hit 3 or 4 armies per game, adding more starts to make me think that the money could probably be spent on something better.;) I figure that allows two people (provided only one of you actually buys miniatures) to play and have a change of pace once in a while.

On the other hand, 3 or 4 armies per game means 3 WFB, 3 BFG, 3 English Civil War, 3 Dark Age Historical, 3 Napoleonic, 3 WWII...:P

BigbyWolf
15-02-2010, 16:32
The more I think about it, the clearer it gets.

The maximum number of armies you should have is one for each armybook, it's when you start duplicating armies that the madness is taking over.

Leogun_91
15-02-2010, 17:28
294 armies

Stuffburger
15-02-2010, 17:44
I have 2- roughly 3500 points of O&G and another 1500 of lizardmen, planning on selling the LM though.

Lizardmen were kind of an impluse back when I got hooked on the hobby, got a 5th ed. box worth of lizards and figured I may as well roll with it. After getting some more information I decided to make O&G my only army, to save money as well as to actually have a chance of painting it. I got lucky though and they're a great match for me, with a huge variety that lets me do just about any build to at least some extent.

My end goal is to be able to field any reasonable 2k build with painted models, but since that means 1) all goblins 2) "gunline" 3) all mounted 4) all orcs 5) "elite infantry" 6) chariot spam I'm gonna wind up with 6k+ of greenskins before it's all over with. (I'm restraining myself from all savage orcs, since until they come in plastic its prohibitively expensive).

But to go back to your question, it's entirely based on what you want out of the hobby. For me, two armies was one too many because I would never have the time to finish both armies to my satisfaction. If your a gamer and just want playing pieces and not modeling projects then any amount is fine if you can afford it.

I think my hard and fast rule would be if you have more models in boxes or halfway done than ready for gaming you have too many models. How you define ready for gaming is up to you, it could be just assembled or painted to an 'eavy metal standard or something in between.

I fall into the too many models category but that's only because I found an amazingly good deal on eBay I just couldn't pass up.

But now I'm set. Just gonna paint away and not buy any more models. Really, I am... :cries:

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 18:28
PM inbound burger.

Urgat
15-02-2010, 18:51
It's too much when you can't store them anymore, i suppose.

Orcboy_Phil
15-02-2010, 20:21
How many armies are too many? A pictorial example:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/OrcboyPhil/th_P2150097-1.jpg (http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/OrcboyPhil/?action=view&current=P2150097-1.jpg)

EmperorNorton
15-02-2010, 20:27
I hope it's 15, because I currently have 13 and am eyeing number 14.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-02-2010, 21:53
I used to have: 5000 O/G, 1850 DOW, 1800 Skaven, 3k HE, 2.5k VC, 4k Dwarfs, 4k Beastmen, 1k 6th Ed HoC, and 2000 points of Steel Legion IG.

For Warmachine I used to play Cryx, Skorne and Mercenaries.

Now I have: Approximately 300 MKII points worth of Mercenaries (for Warmachine) and nothing else mass-combat-game related. Of course the IG were all stripped down and fit inside a (very big) ziplock bag. The rest is being prepped and indexed for trading in for store credit- to build a brand new army- or do something crazy like buy a lot of Aeronautica Imperialis :).

lord marcus
15-02-2010, 22:46
hmm.... i wonder what malorian has to say....

Grimstonefire
15-02-2010, 22:55
I think I understand the reasoning behind this thread.

Imo you have too many armies when you start to compromise on a key thing. For instance if having painted armies is really important and you've got too many unpainted models (but are still doing a fair bit of painting) you know you have too many armies/ models.

It could be space taken up, too few conversions etc. Lots of things to compromise on that you find important.

I don't really have too many armies, yet, just too many projects.

Deroga
15-02-2010, 23:33
imo its only when basic life necessities are going without that there would be to many armies...or grand credit debt. Other than that i too plan on constructing every army except skaven and empire (will build all 40k armies). The one thing i will not do, though, is buy a new unit until the old one is painted.

lord marcus
16-02-2010, 00:21
which is why i have ceased most of my purchases till further notice (i have to paint a crapton at the moment. should be done in a week or two seeing how i batch paint)

Hicks
16-02-2010, 00:26
I don't have an answer, but everytime I tell myself this one is the last, something new catches my eye and it's new army time again.

That happens even if the last army I bought is still sitting in shrinkwrapped boxes. Heck, I know I won't ever be able to assemble/paint/use it all and I still get more stuff.

Luckily, price hikes and new priorities in life have reduced the amount of stuff I buy considerably.

Pacorko
16-02-2010, 00:59
I can't say how much is too much, but I can tell you I currently own:

Dark Elves (5.5K)
Wood Elves (3K)
Ogre Kingdoms (4K)
Beastmen (4K)
Vampire Counts (3.5K)
Skaven (4.5K)
Middenheim (3K)
Warriors of Chaos (5.5K)
Dwarfs (3.5K)
Night Gobbos (3K!)

Plus Blood Angels, Necrons and Tyranids (bought last month). All at 2500 points. I recently bought some Red Corsairs and an old style ChSM BF, so that would make four 40K armies.

I aim to bring all of the Fantasy ones upto 5500 points and the 40K ones upto 3.5K, then I'm capping it right there. I can't cram another shelf in the gaming room.

Never mind my newly acquired and soon to be here Hell Dorado collection and the remains of my Warmachine/Hordes collection... or many of the B5 ships and my 6mmm armies.

It has taken me years to save, hunt down deals and buy the armies I want, and they all have given me great pleasure to collect, paint and play with.

So, the only real limits are spending and conclusion abilities, and storage capacities. That's what ultimately dictates how many armies you can get away with.

And yes, I forgot: an understanding and supportive better half.

She told me to write that down, lads.

lord marcus
16-02-2010, 01:05
conclusion abilities? armies are never finished.

Malorian
16-02-2010, 15:05
hmm.... i wonder what malorian has to say....

What? I only have... eight fantay armies :angel:

The main thing is that you use them. If you have don't get enough games to use each of them at least a couple of times a year, or have so much of one team that you'll never use all the model, then it's a waste.

Luckily I get a lot of games in and even 10K ones ;)

Razakel
16-02-2010, 15:07
What? I only have... eight fantay armies :angel:

The main thing is that you use them. If you have don't get enough games to use each of them at least a couple of times a year, or have so much of one team that you'll never use all the model, then it's a waste.

Luckily I get a lot of games in and even 10K ones ;)

Wow, thats... quite something. I've got like 1,500 points of Orcs & Goblins, 1,000 Space Marines, 1,000 Imperial Guard and around 3,000 or so of Dwarves. I guess I just haven't been playing long enough.

ashc
16-02-2010, 15:17
Believe me, I would probably have every army if I thought I could afford it.

tarrym
16-02-2010, 19:03
I currently have 4 armies (see the signature). And I plan to do 2-3 more in years to come:

Dwarves
Bretonnians
Beastmen (maybe)

Troah
16-02-2010, 19:26
I have Bretonnia, Lizardmen, Dark Eldar, and Tau...I don't think that's too many.

smallgreenguy
17-02-2010, 03:03
I go for 2500-3000 points of any army I start. I never have a game where using more than that is practical or really much more fun than 2500-3000 pts. I also only start a new army once my entire last army is fully painted, which includes magnetized, trays, all that. I've done vamps and ogres so far, and just now starting to paint my wood elves which I have about 2500 of. God, and i'm already starting to think about the next army...

In short, I think any number of armies is fine, provided you actually get them painted. Up to 3000 is pretty good, after that it's a bit excessive and I start to want a new army rather than add duplicate units for 6000 pt games that never happen here!

Most of all I think people should paint their armies before starting another. It only takes a few weeks to paint an army to a really high standard provided you work smart, so I alwas find the time excuse bunk. It's usually just because people don't enjoy painting the models at all. Which is understandable.

Vermin-thing
17-02-2010, 04:06
Well what an interesting topic...

I have:

6K daemons.

3k mortals. (1000 points painted)

3k skaven. (thats alot of modes)

2250 highelves. (only army fully painted)

Maybe 500 points of beastmen.

1800 of empire.

300 point warband of dark elves

2250 of lizardmen (WIP painting)

I want to expand my beastmen to 2k, and then bump my high elves up to 3k.

:)

outbreak
17-02-2010, 04:30
I feel like i have too much at the moment and i've only been in the hobby a year...
I have fully painted if i push my lord choices:
4-5k of skaven
3k of tomb kings
3-4k of dwarfs

Sitting waiting to be painted i have
3k of dark elves (i don't really want these but bought a bunch of old oop stuff cheap)
1-2k of orcs and goblins which i plan on expanding but keep holding back because i think i have too much

The problem i have is i could easily see myself starting up more armies then these to. I'd love an ogre army and i'd like to branch over into a small 40k force but don't want to end up buying too many armies for that too.

tremulant
17-02-2010, 05:06
NEVER ENOUGH! Fun is fun, I say :)

TheDarkDuke
17-02-2010, 05:14
Oh boy it really is a struggle I am dealing with myself. The answer is whatever your willing to put up with. Fantasy wise the only think I would even consider starting would be a gor/centigor heavy beast army (dependent on plastic centigors that are not crap) at this point.

I have:

High Elf
Ogre Kingdoms
Skaven
Vampire Counts

Black Templar
Ork
Renegade Imperial Guard
CSM: Death Guard/Nurgle
Necron

Strong possible plan of a fully converted Space Marine army. Then I have had temptations in starting heavy Ranger/Guardian style Eldar, Tyranids. Imperial Guard converted armies.

SamVimes
17-02-2010, 06:36
In the end, I just want to have reasonable sized army (visually to me, which means lots of infantry in each army) in what I consider the core, generic fantasy armies: A human army, a dwarf army, an elf army, an orc army, an undead army, and then a super-evil demon army with friends. Currently, I own the orc, Human, Dwarf, and super-evil army, with about half the human army painted, 3/4 of the orc, and all the evil guys. I have some 40k stuff from years ago when I actually cared about 40k, but I have zero interest in sci-fi stuff, so those armies are a waste. However, most of my models are from when I worked at GW (and so had a really good discount) or are made from various cheap sources.

Lordsaradain
17-02-2010, 06:56
I have:
Orcs and Goblins
Empire
Dark Elves
Warriors of Chaos
Daemons of Chaos
Beastmen
Ogres
Vampire Counts
Chaos Space Marines

My brother has Lizardmen and Tomb Kings, which I've helped paint.

I'd say that you have too much when you are buying more models faster than you can assemble them.

Pacorko
17-02-2010, 18:08
conclusion abilities? armies are never finished.

Then you will always have too many armies. :D

One needs to stop at one point or another. That's why after reading a given army book or codex, I picture what a big army would look like, set on the config I want for it and start buying/trading in order until it's there. As stated by SamVimes above, I like my armies with lots of infantry and "chunky" cav squadrons--not really into replicating 20-model groundounder units, but rather making huge blocks/warbands so they look impressive and comply with the minimum number for core troops.

That said, I like variety in projects as much as the next lad, but having too much to paint and not much to show for it in terms of complete units ready to be added to their respective armies, it the first big step towards frustation, disappointment and the abandoning of said projects.

I will always stear clear from those three by setting achieveable (if high) goals and getting at it until things are done.

Midevil216
17-02-2010, 21:09
Hell, I have at least 2000 pts of every army execpt Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, & Wood Elves.

Gammalfarmor
17-02-2010, 22:32
I think mine next army is going to be Bretonnia. Though that is a project for the summer.