PDA

View Full Version : Moria Cave Drake question

Pioneer
15-02-2010, 05:17
How big is the base for this monster? Would Sentinel-size base be ok? Bigger than Cave Troll, smaller than Dragon...

lorelorn
16-02-2010, 09:24
I'm not sure what you mean by sentinel, surely not wood elf sentinel...

I use 60mm round for mine, same size as the bigger trolls.

Pioneer
16-02-2010, 18:33
Yeah, I mean the 40k IG Sentinel but yea, the bigger troll base was the one.

How does the drake work in the game? I imagine that the greater movement can prove good when guarding the flanks of the flanking formations. Plus, the eating of the enemy hero is a nice thing too. On the downside the 160 points cost is a bit high...

I was thinking to use the Lizardmen Carnosaur as a drake, it's a bit big but i have always wanted paint one...

gundalf7
16-02-2010, 23:35
the drake is one of the models that hasn't actually been released by gw yet but does have rules for wotr so you will have to use a proxy model to represent it. I'd recommend either using a dragon (which is probablly to big) or using the 60mm(plastic troll) base with a representative model.

Baggers
17-02-2010, 08:45
Gandalf7. I am sure there are rules for the dragon in WOTR. In terms of base size, it's got a unique one like the Oliphunt which is akin to the base that the recent plastic Valkerie came with. Not sure on size dimensions.

lorelorn
17-02-2010, 09:57
There is a company that sells a representative model. It's called Games Workshop, ;) here's a link:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300199&prodId=prod1140116

You might prefer the 'cave dragon' to the 'drakes' but there's not much size difference between the two, in spite of what the photos suggest.

40k sentinel? Now I get it, sorry, a bit slow there.

Drakes have their uses, being Very Hard to Kill is nice, and being able to challenge while not being challeng-able yourself is nice. You'll never roll a huge number of dice in combat, so a formation support role is best, with the option to chase stragglers, or tie up an enemy's flanking monster.

edit: no, the dragon is not a suitable replacement.

Pioneer
17-02-2010, 18:05
Those drakes are smaller than cave troll and the rules indicate that the model shoild be bigger than cave troll but smaller than dragon...

Whitwort Stormbringer
17-02-2010, 21:05
For lack of better options (at least from GW), I definitely second Lorelorn's suggestion to go for some of the older dragon models from the Warhammer Collector's range. The Cave Dragon looks especially fitting, although the "Dragonmaster Dragon" or "Nightmare Dragon" may be more what you're looking for in terms of size (a little pricey, though).

EDIT: If you're not tied to buying GW pieces, or you don't need him to play in a GW store, I'm sure you can find some alternative dragon models from another manufacturer that are more size-appropriate, though.

Pioneer
18-02-2010, 18:33
At the moment i'm prepaired to buy the lizzie carnosaur from fb-range if i can find one from someone whos seillin' that it's that's cheap. 40€ is a bit pricy for me...