PDA

View Full Version : How good is a Land Speeder Storm?

Brother Mordeus
15-02-2010, 11:43
Hey everyone, im seriously considering using a Land Speed Storm, is it a viable option? I play a balance SM list focused around a few rhinos, so i like to bring the fight to the enemy. Is the storm worth it?

toonboy78
15-02-2010, 11:46
can be useful.

take squad of 5 PF for the sarg and a combi melta. give the squad BP and CC. HF for the storm. great combo. improved if you have Vulkan.

Brother Mordeus
15-02-2010, 11:57
Ok thanks guess ill give it a try HF is better than MM?

WinglessVT2
15-02-2010, 12:00
Not very good.
Heavy flamer is much better on it than all other options, because it doesn't rely on the vehicle's ballisticskill of 3 to hit things.

Brother Mordeus
15-02-2010, 12:31
Ah.. yes right its scout ballistic skills i see ok heavy flamer sounds fun don't have any of those in my army so it could be interesting.

WinglessVT2
15-02-2010, 12:38
The main problem is that it takes a grand total of five scouts.
The secondary problem is that the storm eats up a separate, really handy slot.

Smiling Banshee
15-02-2010, 12:43
Why not try using a regular Land speeder as a count as before buying the real thing. Most opponents I play wouldn't have a problem as long as you make sure they know what it is before the game starts.

Mort
15-02-2010, 13:42
I use one in almost all of my games (at least in the games i play my SM)...
Combined with a scout squad geared for tank hunting (combi-melta/PF) and equipped with a heavy flamer its pretty devastating against transports or lone squads. also great in terms of taking objectives/denying objectives.

I must admit that it takes some practice to use a storm correctly, and that the unit sometimes will get shot to pieces, but apart from that, a great and fun to play unit.

Ryar
15-02-2010, 13:59
The storm with 5 scouts and powerfist is beyond incredible. The first turn assalt that it brings is lethal. You can wreck a opponents heavy support options completely before your opponent ever has a chance to go. However do not expect the scouts to live after the initial assault. I also agree with the op, heavy flamer is a superior option.

Latro_
15-02-2010, 17:11
I'd be inclined to take one with scouts as a very sneaky last turn 24" objective grabber.

We're in the days of random game length so its a risky tactic, but if you keep them in it then they should survive a turn or two on an objective.

Brother Mordeus
16-02-2010, 01:22
Thanks for the answers i got the kit since i also wanted it for aesthetics reasons, i love the model ill give it try soon! Cheers Mordeus

carldooley
16-02-2010, 04:14
twin heavy bolter is not to be overlooked either - both the one on the storm and the one carried by the scouts. keep in mind that you would still have your hellfire blast on your scout HB, and that it is open topped also. My favorite mix is 1 HB, 3 shotguns, 1 Power Weapon or Fist. good for assault, movement, or shooting.

elbigsam
16-02-2010, 05:07
reading the rules, how is the land speeder storm landing a scout squad with a first round assault? doesnt seem possible as the storm cannot infiltrate. deep strike allows it to come out as a normal reserve unit rules ie only on or after the second turn.

is this right?

Darkened_Image
16-02-2010, 05:24
reading the rules, how is the land speeder storm landing a scout squad with a first round assault? doesnt seem possible as the storm cannot infiltrate. deep strike allows it to come out as a normal reserve unit rules ie only on or after the second turn.

is this right?

The Land Speeder storm has Scouts, so it can make a normal move before the game begins. As I understand it, this means it can move 24" before either side gets to go.

Brother Mordeus
16-02-2010, 06:14
Right and the scouts can shoot out of it as well?

elbigsam
16-02-2010, 06:23
it has the scout ability, but not the infiltrate ability. so it starts as part of your normal force and then can make such a move.

i keep reading peoples posts implying that a LSS starts behind enemy lines and is tankbusting on turn 1 with assaulting powerfisted sarg and melta gear. 4 foot table width with 2 feet of nomans land in the middle means you can just barely reach their frontlines with the scout ability.

im new, forgive my ignorance if i am mistaken. trying to learn.

Bathawk
16-02-2010, 06:31
Right and the scouts can shoot out of it as well?

I believe so as it is open topped

other thoughts on the storm:

1.) as it has scouts it can aslo outflank; sure scout can outflank as well, but with the movement of the landspeeder you can pretty much place it almost anywhere you want once it comes out of reserve if you don't want to risk a deep strike

2.) which is also noteworthy, aside from the chaos daemons, I can't think fo any other troops choice that allows you to deep strike. Making it an excellent late turn objective grabber IMHO

3.) and another minor point is the jammer, especially vs. daemns this can really futz up the enumy that is relying on their deepstrikes

carldooley
16-02-2010, 06:36
put your LSS in your front rank before the game begins. Use Turboboost to scout 24", putting it at your opponent's front line. normal movement, putting your storm at just the right spot that you want. Field Vulkan, and give the storm a MM, for TL BS3 MM at melta range, then use your vindicaire to shoot down your storm so that your Powerfist squad can try to charge another troublesome unit in your assault phase.

not sure if it is legal, but it sure would be fun!!!:shifty:

Arbiter7
16-02-2010, 07:30
can be useful.

take squad of 5 PF for the sarg and a combi melta. give the squad BP and CC. HF for the storm. great combo.

Yes but you diddn't tell him how the combo works!

Fly to a transport, scouts disembark, sarge shoots combi-melta, pops transport, heavy flamer on the speeder burns its cargo, then the whole squad assaults and mops up any survivors (if there are any).

If the sarge fails to pop the transport, he can always assault it and try to crack it open with his PF, though this leaves the squad vulnerable in the next turn.

Dach
16-02-2010, 08:01
what was the point about the vindicare?

you don't need that to assault, the landspeeder is open-top. The tactic is:

Get first turn, deploy the landspeeder at the limit of your deployment zone, Make a 24" scout move which need to stay clear 12" from any enemy. HOPE your opponent does'nt STEAL THE INITIATIVE.

Then your first turn, move 12" as you wish, disembark scout, shoot with the landspeeder, then assault with the scout.

So total with the scout move, that's actually a 24+12+2+6= 44" assault range. Since you started already 12" from the table edge. If you deploy in the center, this mean you can reach 88% of a 4x6 table...

:evilgrin:

Fixer
16-02-2010, 13:32
I had a full tactica written about Land Speeder Storms when they first came out. I've found them to be pretty useful so far.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188634

Grax
16-02-2010, 16:54
I really like Land Speeder Storms, because they fill in the gaps. Whatever your list is missing, they can provide. You can outfit them to take out either infantry or armor, they can outflank, they're fast, they're not too expensive, and they hold a troop that can claim objectives as well.

In fact, their only weakness is the fact they add 2 easy kill points to your army (assuming there's a unit of scouts inside). If you have the kill points to spare, however, they can be the perfect unit to add to your army.

carldooley
16-02-2010, 17:58
what was the point about the vindicare?

actually, the vindicaire is useful, if you need to move flat out in your movement phase. by moving flat out, you cannot decant your scouts after moving. however, if the transport is destroyed via friendly fire, a strange thing happens(assuming they are not pinned) - the squad can shoot and assault.

Commissar Bone
16-02-2010, 21:21
Really helpful suggestions and information. I'm starting to build a Raven Guard force and I think some LSSs would be very fluffy additions - Scouts riding in like Delta Force on MH-4s.

Except with BS3. :p

Brother Mordeus
17-02-2010, 01:06
Fixer thanks for the link.

Ok i didn't they could scout 24 inches! Thats really cool. So im assuming 12 inches is the maximum distance it can move and still allows the scouts to charge.

actually, the vindicaire is useful, if you need to move flat out in your movement phase. by moving flat out, you cannot decant your scouts after moving. however, if the transport is destroyed via friendly fire, a strange thing happens(assuming they are not pinned) - the squad can shoot and assault.

How can a vindicaire shoot its own troops or is this a joke?

massey
17-02-2010, 02:44
Vindicares ignore all targeting restrictions. So the thought is, you can shoot your own troops with them if you want to get technical.

borginator
17-02-2010, 04:03
Yup, he's right. Getting a tad off topic here but Vindicare's can even shoot targets in CC. Got a lone sergeant that's holding up your gunline? Take him out with the Vindicare.

GodofWarTx
17-02-2010, 07:53
Yes but you diddn't tell him how the combo works!

Fly to a transport, scouts disembark, sarge shoots combi-melta, pops transport, heavy flamer on the speeder burns its cargo, then the whole squad assaults and mops up any survivors (if there are any).

If the sarge fails to pop the transport, he can always assault it and try to crack it open with his PF, though this leaves the squad vulnerable in the next turn.

The first scenario is unfortunately not legal, as your scouts would be assaulting a different target that they shot at.

Commissar Bone
17-02-2010, 17:22
The first scenario is unfortunately not legal, as your scouts would be assaulting a different target that they shot at.

Pretty sure you can shoot a transport then, in the event you destroy it, attack the dismounted troops.

metro_gnome
17-02-2010, 17:28
you may...

5th ed. Page 67, last paragraph of "Destroyed - explodes!"