PDA

View Full Version : Most Mobile Army?

ShaggothLord
15-02-2010, 16:36
What do you think is the fastest/agilest army in Warhammer? (not fluff, but in rules) I was thinking maybe Wood Elves or High Elves, considering they both have spells they can use to increase mobility or change around things.( Lore of Wood and Lore of Shadow)

Thoughts

P.S. Anyone else amazed that if High Elves don't use High Lore they get to choose the spells from the lore of their choice?

tezdal
15-02-2010, 16:41
Any all cav army would be the most mobile wouldnt it? Tomb Kings can hustle when they get incantations off though

BigbyWolf
15-02-2010, 16:45
Chaos.

Lord on Dragon, Marauder Horsemen, Dogs and Chaos Knights.

You don't have to be mobile when everything gets out of your way!

ShaggothLord
15-02-2010, 16:47
Including Magic spells to increase movement, I would think Tomb Kings could get fairly fast. Does Chaos have any movement spells Wolf?

Toshiro
15-02-2010, 16:47
Ogre Kingdoms I'd say (minues the gnoblars of course) but an all m6 army should be pretty mobile :)

TK can be mobile with the right set-up, but is pretty magic dependant to be so.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
15-02-2010, 16:56
A HE shadow king army should be quite moblie, wouldn't it...
Alith Anar, Shadow mage(With thta extra move spell), Shadow warriors, Ellyrian Reavers, and Tiranoc Chariots, representing the realms Alith visited...

BigbyWolf
15-02-2010, 16:59
Including Magic spells to increase movement, I would think Tomb Kings could get fairly fast. Does Chaos have any movement spells Wolf?

It's got spells that slow your opponent down, so from their point of view the army would be quicker...but most of the time I only rock a caddy, so I don't have too much experience with the magic. I think they have access to the lore with Unseen Lurker though, but I'm not certain.

Crovax20
15-02-2010, 17:03
Orcs and Goblins. Spider Riders and Wolf Riders are core, you got chariots and boar boyz in special and from rare you can take the Giant. Mount your heroes/lords on a boar/wolf/spider/wyvern and you are all set.

Only problem you'd have is bad animosity :p

Condottiere
15-02-2010, 17:21
I think that would describe an all cavalry army, and that would be DoW, DE, Goblins and Kislev.

Jind_Singh
15-02-2010, 17:38
No such thing as most mobile, most armies can really get somewere fast if they want to...

Empire - can build a very mobile army based around core Knights, special fast cav, and Steam Tank rares - fully mounted, the fast cav allow for great manovering. Of all the ones listed this one is sub-standard, not as effective as other armies all-mounted lists. THey do get war alter though...

Dark Elves - Dark Riders, hardest fast cav in the game, add Cold One chariots Cold ones, Harpies, monstor mounted lords...its deadly and super fast - plus Dark riders can pack crossbows..

Warriors of Chaos - their standard crushing list is fast cav maraduers, hounds, knights - add chariots, dragon ogres, you got yourself a very mobile force - with flying characters or mounted on nasty gribblies - they are tough!

Orcs & Goblins - All fast cav core units, spiders move even faster as terrian doesnt slow them down, wolves are 18" speed freaks. Add boar boyz, chariots, pump wagons, mounted lords (inc wyvern), get lucky with spells and get hand of gork, plus the army can waaagh - it can be really nippy! Animoisity kills though, and when they waaagh any unit that rolls a 1 is toast! Really fun to play though! Squig hoppers are also good for a laugh

Brets - goes without saying, an army from the all-mounted realm - cant get more mobile than that! They even have units of fliers!

DoC - Prob THE fastest army in warhammer - Slaanesh choices move 10" base - thats orrible! Furies, fiends, seekers, fleshounds, crushers - even the core moves 6" if you take deamonettes, and 2 GD fly, one is bse move 10", only nurgle is slow - and he packs hefty 6" move!

Beastman - not the fastest but core chariots, harpies, take the centagors as core with their special character, and flying jabborwocks - they can really pack a punch if they so desire. Their ambush also allows them to reach areas of tables a lot quicker than most armies.

High Elves - also a great mounted force with eagles, silver helms, princes, chariots galore - they might not pack a punch like their darker cousins but they are not far behind

Just from the ones above the DoC have fastest stat line moves, but they are ITP - so cant flee and reform. Thats a weakness as far as mobility is concerned so I'd say the army from above I'd rate as the best would be for all-mounted games....

WoC! Pound for pound they pack a strong left hook!

Lorcryst
15-02-2010, 17:51
Another vote for the OnGs, I've thought about an all wolf-mounted goblin force with wolf chariots and wolf chariot-mounted shamans ...

Everything is M9, and if you're lucky enough to get the Hand of Gork spell, you can be even faster ... but, Animosity, weedy goblin stats and other such things ...

The Devourer
15-02-2010, 17:57
beastmen can take chariots as core so they can be pretty fast.

The best manouverable army is brettonians. They may not be the fastest but many other fast armies are really uncompetitive.

Witchblade
15-02-2010, 18:00
It seems people are simply defining mobility as the average movement value in the army. I think that's a very narrow view of mobility.

Skirmishers > RnF
Fast cavalry > Cavalry
US 1 > US 2+
Flying > ground movement

Wood elves got this. Dark elves are a strong contender though.

kaubin
15-02-2010, 18:30
Slaanesh Daemons gets my vote. Movement 10 fast cav, flying core, and you can have single fiends with free wheels and 10 of mov, as well as a flying or really fast GD general.

Jack of Blades
15-02-2010, 18:46
Slaanesh Daemons gets my vote. Movement 10 fast cav, flying core, and you can have single fiends with free wheels and 10 of mov, as well as a flying or really fast GD general.

Agreed - while Wood Elves have very mobile stuff and rules, they simply can't match the combined speed and retained mobility of the Slaanesh daemons.

badgeraddict
15-02-2010, 19:13
P.S. Anyone else amazed that if High Elves don't use High Lore they get to choose the spells from the lore of their choice?

They do? I thought they could choose a different lore, not the actual spells they want from them?

ShaggothLord
15-02-2010, 22:27
They do? I thought they could choose a different lore, not the actual spells they want from them?

I believe so

Lord Malorne
15-02-2010, 22:31
Wood Elves.

tezdal
15-02-2010, 22:34
Brets and chaos, for when you wanna be able to move fast, and do something when you get there lol

Lord Malorne
15-02-2010, 22:39
Wild riders are far better than you think ;).

(Also is your user name form the book with the dragons and the remembering story tellers?)

ShaggothLord
16-02-2010, 01:38

(Also is your user name form the book with the dragons and the remembering story tellers?)

Who, me? I got my name from the Beasts of Chaos book. 6th edition.

tezdal
16-02-2010, 02:50

Yea, its from Lords of the Sky by Angus Wells, the name of the crashed Skylord who befriends them etc

Volker the Mad Fiddler
16-02-2010, 05:38
Dwarfs :). Only army that can't be march blocked.

[Please realize this was a facetious reply].

Condottiere
16-02-2010, 07:37
Mine's a mercenary title.

Col. Frost
16-02-2010, 09:29
Bret RAF.

There, i said it ;)

Memnos
16-02-2010, 09:34
Yeah. If you consider the main bulk of the army, Orks and Gobbos are by far the most mobile army.

Wolfriders take the cake with Move 9 core fast cavalry, but Spider Riders are core 7 fast cavalry that ignore terrain. Throw in the Waaagh! and you get the fastest army in the game.

The problem: 1/3rd of your army will not do what you want in any given turn. That's bad.

Also, low leadership. And low weapon skill, strength and bad armour saves.

But they're fast.

Simme
16-02-2010, 10:01
i would say wood elves

Glade Riders; Core; Fast Cav

Wild Riders; Special; Fast Cav

Warhawk Riders; Special; Flying

Great Eagles; Rare; Flying

Enough said

tdc500
16-02-2010, 10:11
i would say wood elves

Glade Riders; Core; Fast Cav

Wild Riders; Special; Fast Cav

Warhawk Riders; Special; Flying

Great Eagles; Rare; Flying

Enough said

And Highborn/Noble on Great Eagle; Lord/Hero

Don't forget that wood elves can move AND shoot (with no negative)

plus skirmishers in every slot as well.

Wood elves by far :D

Shiodome
16-02-2010, 10:12
another for wood elves. m9/fast cavalry or skirmishing core, m9/fastcavalry, skirmishing or flying specials, skirmishing or flying rare. hell even the hero on foot is m9. this added to their special rules encouraging movement (no shot/move penalty) and being able to move terrain to go even further, and being able to move through terrain easier than pretty much any army. overall they beat slaanesh, slaanesh are fastest not most mobile.

or to put it another way, wood elves would still run rings around slaanesh. yes, that IS a challenge :P

Lordsaradain
16-02-2010, 12:24
Slaanesh DoC gets my vote.

Sand
16-02-2010, 12:46
I don't get the TK comments. They can't march, ever. So even if they got off an incantation on each and every of their units (which isn't possible), they still wouldn't be that much faster than an "ordinary" army.
VC would be a better bet I think, as they can march and have the potential for magical movement on top of that.

hwd
16-02-2010, 12:52
My vampire army is fairly swift,
Black knights run around at mv8, dire wolves at m9 and ghouls.
Throw in the ghoulkin vampiric power and the entire army can get across the half way point of the table in turn 1!

Ghouls move 8" thanks to ghoulkin and then march a further 8"
Dire wolves can march an impressive 18"
Black knights keep up with a 16" march.

This is before Vanhals Danse Macabre starts to play...

The other week I took first turn and a unit of ghouls got a first turn charge!
8" ghoulkin, 8" march, 8" danse...
Needless to say that rather put my opponent on the back foot!

ashc
16-02-2010, 16:38
Ignoring all-cavalry (because its going to be pretty mobile) something with a variety of fast, mobile choices in a variety of army list slots is Slaanesh Daemons.

Kukkelukke
16-02-2010, 17:53
Im a Wood elf player and my worst fear i an experienced TK general!

While I still think WE as the most mobile race, I still think TK are able to match the speed. Making that extra charge/move in the magic phase is greatly underestimated. This is also why i consider TK to be one of the hardest races to master..

- This is ofc if the TK player has a lot of magic :D