PDA

View Full Version : Safest army to start?

tremulant
17-02-2010, 06:12
Hey guys, I'm looking to stray away from my space marines and into fantasy again (have a 5e -i think- lizardmen army), but seeing how so many models are being redone right now, I'm very skeptical about what army to start.... I don't want to start a new army only to find out a couple months later I'll want to replace my models.... I know Skaven and Beastmen are safe bets..... What's the safest elven army at this point? What armies won't be having too much changed to them soon?

Thanks a lot for any info guys!

Tenken
17-02-2010, 06:15
Most of the lizardmen models are very current. In fact I think nearly the entire line isn't more than a couple years old and frankly they all look great (except the terradon riders IMO, blehk). WoC would pry be a good bet too, mostly currently models outside multiwound big gribblies. Dwarves are fairly current, and even if they do change, they're dwarves, they won't be changing much. Empire might be OK, but I think they're due to have new knights coming in the 8th ed starter box, so I'd hold out on getting cav til then.

I don't think any of the elven armies are very safe. They all have a ton of metal units just BEGGING to be redone in plastics, and wood elves are due for a new codex in the next year or two I think. If I had to pick an elven army for the least amount of change, I'd say DE.

Vermin-thing
17-02-2010, 06:17
I'd have to say Skaven or Beastmen (farm animals of chaos) as they were the most recent.

The rest are kinda in a grey area.

LordZombie
17-02-2010, 06:21
I would say any army that has been redone already would be safe. GW is not big about redoing too many models without a major release. Daemons, Warriors, Vampires would be good bets. As for elves, I would say Dark Elf. They already had a lot of models redone so I would think they would be pretty safe. I would say Wood elf, but starting an army with them is costly. Not enough models per box in my opinion. Even if an army is redone, you can still use the models as 'counts as'. Most of the vampire counts and tomb kings that I have are from the 5th ed Undead book.

Jind_Singh
17-02-2010, 06:34
yeah, all the armies that came out recently...

dark elves - WoC - DoC - Lizzies - Skaven - Beastmans

All are really new - keep away from O & Goblins, ogres, tomb kings, etc as they are old!

someone2040
17-02-2010, 06:35
Even then, there are a lot of models in the grey area as there's supposed to be a lot of splash releases this year from what I've heard in the rumours section (Even rumours of High Elves and Skavens in the 8th edition box).

So basically, book wise, Tomb Kings and Ogres aren't good choices as there is some good indication they will be released this year. Model-wise, pick anything you think looks decent. Most books aren't going to be updated for a while yet.

When I'm starting an army, I basically look at the current year. If they're not being updated within then, it's fair game for me to start them. A year is a long time, and plenty of time for you to enjoy the current incarnation of the army. Generally models don't get 'outdated' either, they may become a better or poorer choice in the army, but dont become invalid. So you're generally safe, just might have prettier/cheaper/more options models come out in the future.

Necromancy Black
17-02-2010, 06:36
Beastmen, Skaven, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Daemons and Vampire Counts are your safest bets, in that order. These should not be changing for a long time.

If you want to keep friends, don't go daemons. Or possibly vampire counts. The rest can be cheese but in general are rather well balanced lists (well...beastmen seem to be kinda week)

Tokugawa100
17-02-2010, 06:38
Hmmmmmm

with all the pointy bits you could poke an eye out and since they are so small there is indeed a choking hazard;)

"crickets chirping"

...!

I know Im not funny:(

Tenken
17-02-2010, 06:50
Beastmen, Skaven, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Daemons and Vampire Counts are your safest bets, in that order. These should not be changing for a long time.

If you want to keep friends, don't go daemons. Or possibly vampire counts. The rest can be cheese but in general are rather well balanced lists (well...beastmen seem to be kinda week)

If you wanna keep a bank account don't get daemons either. Only the blood letters and plague bearers come in plastic (furies might, I forget) and you generally have relatively large units of daemons (crazy as it sounds). A unit of 30 pink, horrors, oh i don't even wanna think about that.

I honestly think O&G would be safe (If you don't mind losing) as the models look pretty nice, and an orc is an orc is an orc, they haven't ever changed much in looks, not in a loooong time at least, but there might be new boar boys soon (which would be sweet).

Condottiere
17-02-2010, 06:57
Probably Dark Elves, the publication is not too distant, the army is highly rated and whatever happens with the new edition, it seems unlikely they would suffer too much.

Orcboy_Phil
17-02-2010, 10:36
I wish plaguebearers came in plastic :(

I think your safest bet of all is an Empire army without any knights or Free company. Pretty much all the range is brand spanking new otherwise.

Astromarine
17-02-2010, 10:46
Dark Elves are relatively safe if you are careful to not get the old leftovers that remain from the metal era. Specifically, Dark Riders and Harpies, especially DR. There might be more models coming, who knows, but the existing ones are still awesome barring the two I mentioned. Current DR are horrid.

CraftworldsRus
17-02-2010, 21:11
Dark Elves are relatively safe if you are careful to not get the old leftovers that remain from the metal era. Specifically, Dark Riders and Harpies, especially DR. There might be more models coming, who knows, but the existing ones are still awesome barring the two I mentioned. Current DR are horrid.

I agree with this. More so because of how easy it is to convert nice DR and Harpies. Cauldron of blood is pretty bad, too. I've seen people swap out the statue for the 40k Avatar, though. Looked pretty sweet with the bloody hand dripping in.

Dantès
17-02-2010, 23:07
I'd say Skaven. Lots of fun, brand new book, some very random and unpredictable things in there if you choose them, or you can build a solid reliable pestilens force. Lots of variety in the book...i can barely choose which units i want in a 2000 point army, I love them all so. Quite forgiving (if you keep your rats in units of 30) but you always have to remember...once you run, you're done. So try to keep a plague priest of chieftain around to lend some LD. Plus, the Furnace, Bell, and Doomwheel are awesome models. I love the Stormvermin though...they're the reason I started Skaven!

Oh, and buy my army ;)

tremulant
18-02-2010, 04:43
What's the army? I just might buy it ;)

Condottiere
18-02-2010, 10:53
Check his public profile.

TheDarkDuke
19-02-2010, 05:16
High Elves have been pretty consistent in terms of what is in the actually army book. Model wise is an interesting call. They still have several metal/plastic calvary models which are going the way of the dodo bird and all of there elite infantry are still metal. While there plastic unit kits are some of the oldest. With all that said they are not close to an update, nor are really any of the models dated. So they are a real unknown.

Wood Elves are the closest of the elves to probably be updated. None of the current plastics will get redone as they are good and fairly new. So model wise for Wood Elf its a tough call to what would go plastic next, and/or what is added/removed from the army book. Another tough call as Wood Elf went so long before there current state that who knows what could change with them.

Dark Elves are the newest of the elf army books so they are certainly on the back burner in terms of even being thought of for an army book update. So it would be a safe bet that nothing will get "pulled" on you for quite some time. Model wise they have some of the newest and best sculpted kits released so such things as Corsair and Cold One Knights are not going anywhere for a very very long time.

Now GW appear to be quite satisfied with the state of HE and DE last edition plastic core (Spearmen, Archers, Warriors). I would agree so I doubt you will see these models replaced any time soon, and the entries have been in the army books forever.

Keep in mind of strong rumour of a bunch of calvary units for various armies being released this summer. Quite strong rumours as you can read up on in the Rumour Forum suggest new Dark Elf Chariots with the current Cold Ones, and Dark Riders. Should the rumour of lots of plastic calvary being released strong candidates IMO would be any metal or plastic/metal kits still around, so for the other two elves options could be Reavers and Dragon Princes for High Elf and Wild Riders for Wood Elf.

All in all your safest bet is Dark Elf. High Elf IMO would roll up into 2nd and Wood Elf in 3rd.

Overall armies with little changing for some time IMO:
Skaven
Ogre Kingdoms
Warriors of Chaos
Empire

Grimstonefire
19-02-2010, 10:44
Skaven are unlikely to be 'changing' models, but then again they may be a lot cheaper if they are in the 8th ed box. Things like that always go really cheap for years afterwards. Same principle for any HE models in there.

Not sure yet which models they're likely to get though other than weapon teams.

DarkMark
19-02-2010, 14:55
LM and WE are probably least likely to get any models changed, so are good bets. They're also very solid books too.

I posted this before for someone else, and it should be still relevant...

I have about 4-5k of WE and LM, and enjoy both. WE are a little cheaper I'd say as you can convert almost everything out of the battalion box. The biggest plus of LM over WE is the crazy magic phase you can have. WE on the other hand will give you a killer movement phase, which do you prefer?

Some modelling tips and ideas...

1. GRs are a very decent sub for WHRs, and therefore won't cost you that bit extra, terries are a must for LM and are fairly expensive
2. WDs can be converted from GG, helping to keep cost down
3. You could bling up one of the CoK to represent an old one from the bits in the LM battalion.

Very roughly what two battalion boxes, and one metal lord, could give you...

WE
lord with GW
(other lord choices are easy conversions from GG, see note below)

2x10 GG, third unit would be max in 2k, but would use up models
3x8 dryads
3x5 GR (and a spare for lord), or 1x5 GR and 2x5 (converted)WRs

2x8 WD, converted from remaining GG
1x4 treekin, sticks from garden and GS, so no real cost except time!
WR see GR!

1x5 WW
1x treeman, see treekin

You will have a couple of models over to convert a mage or two. The only really useful unit you're missing is the eagle. The conversions don't need to be expert just a few GS leafs, and a different paint scheme will do it. EG currently just look pretty and aren't used much by players, and can therefore probably be ignored. This will give you a solid list at around 2k. Its also got to be the cheapest army you can make in fantasy.:)

LM

lord, slann

2x18 sauras with spears
2x12 skinks

1x20 TG (though 16 is enough really) to put slann in
3x5 CoK, and spare to be converted to scar vet/ old blood

Critically you are missing the excellent steggs and terries from the army. You could raid a toy store and pick up a couple of cheapy alternatives for use as steggs, terries, sallies, or even 'dons.

JayC707
19-02-2010, 22:09
Even if a model is updated to plastic, or its looks are changed it doesn't mean you have to jump to it and be a victim of GW's lame update / upgrade process to their units... a few metal units in your army is fine, just update them as you see fit - if at all. I know I'd like everything plastic, as well, but as a High Elf I don't expect to see them anytime soon. The release coming out later this year doesn't even touch on all of the specials that are metal in my army. Oh well.

tremulant
20-02-2010, 00:43
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm not worried about the models that I'll buy becoming obsolete - I know that most of the time your models will be useable in the next edition/army book. I just have a problem with needing to have the newest version of everything :P Right now I'm thinking between lizardmen, skaven, dwarves, and dark elves. I would definitely go with skaven, but the amount of models is VERY daunting to me. I like the magic behind lizardmen and painting them seems easy yet flexible. I like the gunline idea behind dwarves, and the eliteness of dark elves.... Goddamn, I almost wish every army sucked except for one, because I want them all!

Orcboy_Phil
20-02-2010, 07:17
Don't Dwarf gunline. People will hate you and you'll have boring unsatisfactory games, if you get them at all.

DarkMark
20-02-2010, 08:16
Sounds like skaven are for you. I don't think you have to go horde, but you have the option to. Buy the new gizmos and toys now, and wait to see if the 8ed starter box is indeed packed full of ratty goodness.

Zarroc
20-02-2010, 09:49
Hey guys, I'm looking to stray away from my space marines and into fantasy again (have a 5e -i think- lizardmen army), but seeing how so many models are being redone right now, I'm very skeptical about what army to start.... I don't want to start a new army only to find out a couple months later I'll want to replace my models.... I know Skaven and Beastmen are safe bets..... What's the safest elven army at this point? What armies won't be having too much changed to them soon?

Thanks a lot for any info guys!

No army is a safe bet......