PDA

View Full Version : When 40k Attacks...and you get hurt in Real Life!

projectkmo
17-02-2010, 17:29
So who has a good non-Exacto blade related 40k injury?

I've literally given myself some form of Carpal Tunnel from all the Base coating (Spray painting) I've been doing the past few months. I had a dr. appointment about it this morning.

I now have to get good with my left hand (no jokes) and I picked up one of those attachments you put on a can of spray paint that makes it more like a gun trigger.

I think I may be able to use this to my advantage though.... it could go a long ways towards me convincing the Wife that It's time I got a good Airbrush setup!

Razaan
17-02-2010, 18:02
I'm sitting here right now with a nasty gouge in the side of my thumb from an x-acto knife slip. I was trimming the flashing off a landraider tread and it just slipped and hit with enough force to put a decent 1/2" cut.

Not bad by itself, but it's in the worst spot on my thumb. Makes typing and using my mouse a pain in the **** (I'm a programmer for a living).

I know you said non-blade related, but that's all I've got atm.

LKHERO
17-02-2010, 18:04

I've literally given myself some form of Carpal Tunnel from all the Base coating (Spray painting) I've been doing the past few months. I had a dr. appointment about it this morning.

I now have to get good with my left hand (no jokes) and I picked up one of those attachments you put on a can of spray paint that makes it more like a gun trigger.

I think I may be able to use this to my advantage though.... it could go a long ways towards me convincing the Wife that It's time I got a good Airbrush setup!

I was free-handing mold lines on my Rhino and watching TV at the same time.

Let's just say I lost a bit of my index finger and nail. (not too serious, but I definitely bled out).

Ph4lanx
17-02-2010, 18:10
Worst I've ever done that's NOT knife-related is glue myself to a metal model when I first started modelling, about 15 years ago.

Was holding the two parts in place, completely oblivious to the fact that superglue only needs a short while to make a working bond. I held it completely still for about 15 minutes without moving a muscle.

When I thought it was all good, I let out a big sigh, moved one hand away carefully from the balanced model, then went to move my second hand away, only to find the entire second section of my left pointing finger attached to the model! Mild panic ensued, and I actually considered using a knife to cut it away at one point. Luckily my mother had a steadier head and used a mix of washing up liquid, force and gentle rubbing with a wet cloth. 1 hour later, all good :)

Other than that, I had my FIRST EVER knife cut last month. Put a new blade in place, went to cut some flash from a model, slipped... The knife was so sharp, it entered the tip of my pointing finger (funnily enough, my left once again!) and cut it so cleanly that when I first looked at the cut, there was no blood whatsoever. I looked, thought "Oh OK, all good.", looked away to the model, looked back again and the table was covered in blood. Stunning.

ShadowKnight64
17-02-2010, 18:13
I was cleaning some metal models and I droped my triangular GW file and tried to catch it and the handle hit my leg and I grabbed at the tip fairly hard and stabbed it into the palm of my hand hard. Stabbed myself and bled for a good while. Besides that nothing major few nicks or scratches from knife and gotten my hands covered in ink and paint so it looks fairly strange after.

Deftoneus
17-02-2010, 18:13
I think the most common injuries are blade-related when you get right down to it :P

My appologies to the OP, but my injury is when i took off a chunk of my thumb doing some trimming work. I jury-rigged up a band-aide with duct tape and tissue paper and kept on going.

Other than that, I stepped on some dice with my bare feet that hurt quite a bit (right on the heel!)

Tethylis
17-02-2010, 18:14
My 40k setup is in an attic with sloping walls/celings

So whenever I have to move my outflankers I allways seem to fail my dangerous terrain test and end up whacking myself in the head! :eek:

Partisan Rimmo
17-02-2010, 18:18
I once dropped a Wraithlord at Games Day (metal!), fell to the floor to catch it (did) slipped and tore all the ligaments in my hand. It's still noticeably bent out of shape years later (the hand).

Still finished the game (after a break).

Johnnyfrej
17-02-2010, 18:19
Whenever I use super-glue it seems it wants to glue everything but what I'm working on...

Grax
17-02-2010, 18:21
My friend Vinny has the best one I personally know of. He got super glue on his eye. It got on his hand, he went to scratch his eye...and then went to the emergency room.

Lord Cook
17-02-2010, 18:21
Cutting some resin a few weeks ago, only for the knife to slip and ram into the little fleshy part underneath my thumbnail. Choice words were used.

mr gelmir
17-02-2010, 18:23
I also dropped a mini, don't know which one anymore, but in trying to catch it, hurt my shoulder by bumping into my desk.

Ambience 327
17-02-2010, 18:41
I tore a nice chunk out of my finger with a dremel's cutting blade (not a cut-off wheel, but the nice buzzsaw-shaped mini wheel that does really ugly things to flesh...)

I also managed to impale my finger on a particularly sharp chaos spike once...

Draconis
17-02-2010, 18:43
Put a blade 1/4" into my thumb once, must have knicked an artery cause it was actually spurting out. Couldnt get it to stop, even with cold water. Eventually I just dried it off with a towel and applied superglue. worked instantly. So now when I cut myself, thats what I use.

ObiWan
17-02-2010, 18:47
Isn't superglue toxic? I don't really know...

gwarsh41
17-02-2010, 18:47
I am in the same boat as the OP, either carpel tunnel or tendinitis. Its not just 40k, playing video games combined with painting. then top it off with my job being a computer science teacher... its getting out of hand.

I took a few bits off of my hand when assembling a mcGuiver style power drill alternative to get the excess dip off of my nurgle minis. From now on I am painting the finish on.

gwarsh41
17-02-2010, 18:48
Isn't superglue toxic? I don't really know... modeling glue is, like the GW stuff. A lot of normal super glue is not, it used to be used in surgery. The downside was it bonded too fast and might get a rubber glove stuck to your intestine or something lol.

WinglessVT2
17-02-2010, 18:49
A couple years ago, my buddy managed to cut off a good piece of his fingertip with a lasersharpened, unused, fresh-out-the-box scalpel.
The scalpel in question ended up buried at the far back of the toolbox, stuffed inside a plastic tube with little hinges on it. It was never used again.

Once, when I was assembling a bunch of guard tanks, I got the clever idea of cutting towards a thumb. This ended up with me doing grievous damage to the tip of the thumb in question, and the tank getting stained with lots of blood.
For some stupid reason, I repeated this exact same thing later, but with a crisis suit. That suit still has blood all over its left side.

Speaking of crisis suits, those multi-trackers of theirs have a habit of getting caught in peoples' sleeves, then ending up in pieces on the floor.

I could go on.

Tenken
17-02-2010, 18:50
Friend of mine reached into his desk to grab something, moments later we hear "GOD DAMN YOU EMPORER'S CHAMPION!!!" he had a pretty deep stab from the EC's sword. Yikes!

Gimp
17-02-2010, 18:51
Once got super glue stuck in my teeth :eyebrows:

PaulmanMN
17-02-2010, 18:52
Best non blade relate for me: A few months ago I was trying to get a job at my local GW, so I cought the skull pass set to get my head around fantasy. As I was assembling the goblin spider riders, I dropped one. As I was trying to use my cat like reflexes to grab it from the air, I rammed it down onto my thigh, and in the process, rammed the spear tip thing, about 3/4 of the way down to my first knuckle under the nail. I invented some new swear words that day.

magicmonkey
17-02-2010, 18:53
when glueing a metal model together i managed to glue one half to my finger and the other to my thumd which was holding it in place
and the model didn't even glue:cries:

Grax
17-02-2010, 18:54
Super glue is a little toxic, but a little bit won't hurt. It's used in real surgery, and I know it's been used in the past in battlefield situations. It's simply the best way to shut a wound in an emergency. However, if it isn't an emergency, you should just apply pressure and a band-aid.

Ignatum
17-02-2010, 18:55
My friend once got really angry and slammed his hand down on a zombie model, not realizing that said model was holding a spear straight up. Ouch.

My worst non-knife related was probably when I was painting a group of Chaos Dwarfs with spiky helmets and reached over them to type something, resting my arms on the tops of hte dwarfs. When I finally moved, my right arm had a ton of little holes in it, no blood though.

Once I thought I gave myself lead poisoning because I held an 80's GW lead figure in my mouth to paint something else, forgetting that it wasn't a newer pewter model.

WinglessVT2
17-02-2010, 18:55
Fiddling around in dark eldar cases, boxes, or what you, is never a good idea, because those blades and spikes on incubi are sharp enough to puncture skin.

Ozendorph
17-02-2010, 19:32
Threw out my back while leaning in to make a die-roll in 2nd edition. That sucked, and was a bit embarrassing to boot :(

Galatan
17-02-2010, 19:36
I must have super hobby-fu or something...In the 13+years I've been playing the game I've never cut myself and only once glued my thumb on a metal piece (the side car of an old attack bike)....Dropped a foam tray once (all plastic so no biggie) and never had any puncture wounds from models by hand slammming or whatever.

I guess I've been lucky uptill now..*knocks on wood*:rolleyes:

MarshallSam
17-02-2010, 19:56
Trying to assemble something put pressure on a piece I thought was dry, it wasn't snapped and hit me in the eye. Got superglue stuck to my eyeball... the emergency room staff was ever so pleasant that night.

bigcheese76
17-02-2010, 19:56
I dropped a Chaos Biker the other day. Dont worry guys, the model is fine. My foot on the other hand bled quite alot. Damn Chaos spikes.
I have also done the famous glueing my fingers to a model far too many times.

Max Jet
17-02-2010, 20:13
My brain suffered a "perils of the warp" Attack after reading the Space Marine Codex fluff.

EmperorEternalXIX
17-02-2010, 20:20
My Grey Knight Terminator models have inflicted many wounds that allowed no saves with their giant, sharp, metal halberds.

Phaedron2
17-02-2010, 20:23
I've got a hobby pain story

I superglued my tongue to the roof of my mouth back in 04, coincidentally its also the day I discovered pay per visit healthcare.

cheers

Razaan
17-02-2010, 20:24

I thought I could almost imagine how... but then realized I have no clue.

Mordagos
17-02-2010, 20:25
Managed to stab my hand with my brothers night goblin's spears more than once.

ReveredChaplainDrake
17-02-2010, 20:26
Pinning Garlauch without a vice to hold Garlauch in place. Imagine wrapping your hand around a porcupine, then squeezing as hard as you can. Okay, it's technically a Fantasy model, but I was using it as a Greater Daemon. Or at least, that was the intention.

The other was recently while I was building my Trygon. I was really careful with my knife when filing off a particularly stubborn piece of sprue, but my grip slipped and I pricked my thumb on the scything talon point I was working on.

Hertic Bane
17-02-2010, 20:31
i once when going through my dryads one of the branches when up into my finger nail. ouch :( i was also shoched when once someone used my sister of battle cannoness power sword to make a hole at the top of it.
I also have watch as a person cut them self on a ork stompa the chimney on top.

TheShadowCow
Second Edition plastic Gretchin all lined up in ranks on the floor. My friend wasn't wearing shoes or socks. Carpet needed to be changed :p

Olja
Back when some GW models came in heavy plastic blister packages I tried to open it with a knife. I shattered the plastic and gouged the inside of my left hand. Thought I would need stitches but I didin't. It was latter pointed out to me by a friend that the blister were suppose to slide open. :( So I got hurt and felt like an idiot.

The God of Decay
17-02-2010, 20:32
hehe, I got stabbed by my daemon princes blade when i was stripping it, accidentally stepped on a chaos helmet...it was horned, and it hurt...

I was cutting a space marine's head apart for a piece of sceney, and a piece of it flew into my eye! Not kidding either, it was about 3 in the morning, and i got it out by taking a pair of tweezers to my eye, and i had to tape my eye open cause i was sweating so much. lol, always wear headgear when cutting plastic!!!!!!

Sclep
17-02-2010, 20:39

Me too, and my tongue...

DeadlySquirrel
17-02-2010, 20:44
glued myself to a model, pulled it off and ripped the skin clean off my thumb. I also cut myself on some metal spears =[

bad times

carldooley
17-02-2010, 20:55
I guess I've been lucky uptill now..*knocks on wood*:rolleyes:

seconded.
I have pieces of myself all over the metal hurricane bolters of my crusaders, but the most annoying is the number of minor burns that I've gotten from super glue accelerant.

d6juggernaut
17-02-2010, 20:56
Was handling a craft knife, hand slipped and the blade fell pointy-side-down INTO my knee, thank god the blade was terribly blunt so I only suffered minor injury.

Lordsaradain
17-02-2010, 21:00
When I've accidentaly cut myself, I've used superglue to close the would and stop blood getting everywhere, its quite effective actually. I don't know if it's a healthy method that I should be recommending, but its not like the superglue could spread in your blood, so I'm certain it's quite harmless.

scopedog91
17-02-2010, 21:03
Yeah,
I dropped a scalpel onto my foot, point down of course...
Bleed and bleed...

ObiWan
17-02-2010, 21:13
Nothing really serious, but I have super glued my fingers to models too many times to remember. On the other hand only a couple of nicks while cutting stuff. But while playing I keep gettin stung by spears, spiky bitz and what have you from the models themselves.

Graeme
17-02-2010, 21:32
Back in the day, when me and my pals used to play 40k on the floor, my mate stepped barefoot onto a barricade made of cocktail sticks. As he shrieked like a girl and pulled his leg up, he put his other foot down (hard) on Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos, Wearer of Spikes and Bearer of the eminently vertical Drach'nyen.

He ended up in hospital with snapped off cocktail sticks in one foot and a bloody hole in the other. We didn't laugh too hard.

Balragore
17-02-2010, 21:51
I've actually never cut myself in 11yrs (off and on). I rarely use knives though.

I have had almost every single bad experience with glue however.
Long story short, not paying attention to where you put open bottles of glue (yeah, I know, why were they left open to begin with) has lead to a new computer desk along with mousepad and other assorted office equipment.

Finnith
17-02-2010, 22:48
Second Edition plastic Gretchin all lined up in ranks on the floor. My friend wasn't wearing shoes or socks. Carpet needed to be changed :p

They got me as well, little buggers.

I also remember melting polystyrene with various solvents to get a 'melted rubble' effect in a small room. That was a bad idea as I went around giggling for the next few hours and has probably done god knows what to my lungs/brain.

Oh and dropping the second edition SM dread on my toe. Took most of the nail off.

cuda1179
17-02-2010, 23:01
Once when I was living in my old apartment the Air Conditioning went out in the middle of summer. There was absolutley NO wind that day, which just so happened to be my day off from work.

So, trying to keep cool while modeling I was sitting in my living room with just a pair of tighty-whitey underwear on, sitting on the floor. I ended up accidentally dumping a bottle of super glue into my lap with the cap off.

I ended up glueing parts of myself (that shall go unnamed) to my inner thigh allong with my undewear.

hendybadger
17-02-2010, 23:12
Another knife related incident Im afraid. Cutting a curve into the back of a Carnifex ended up with a paramedic, A+E and 10 stitches in the palm of my hand. A year ago now but still looks impressive

Bunnahabhain
17-02-2010, 23:16

Yup. Been got by them, they're lethal...

Do not have superglue easily available, it leads to problems. Put it away after use!

Best I've managed is fixing some shoes. Super glued bit of lining back in place, and 20 minutes later, put them on. My weight in the shoes caused them to move, exposing fresh glue, and glueing my foot to the shoe....

Three months later, I tried again. 3 hrs drying time, same result...

40 40k, no superglue to hand, fewer stupid injuries....

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
18-02-2010, 00:45
Almost passed out once when a guy at the table I was working at spilled an entire bottle of zap-a-gap on my shirt... thus nekid wargaming was born!

Canis007
18-02-2010, 00:53
Isn't superglue toxic? I don't really know...

Im a paramedic. They used super glue in WW2, and today Johnsonand Johnson makes a similar product. You can use super glue to help close a wound, but it's not advised for cuts deeper than half an inch.

252nd Fire Dragoon
18-02-2010, 00:57
Aloha,
I had night goblin spears and metal shoulder pad with spikes on it on my floor.. lets just say walking hurt the next week.

Caiphas Cain
18-02-2010, 01:00
I was modeling late a while ago, and managed to super glue my hand to my forehead :wtf:. I had a head ache and was holding my head, but didn't realize I had super glue on my hand. It took a long time under a hot shower before I gathered up the courage to rip my hand from my head. I have a finger shaped scar on my head now :eyebrows:.

Mini77
18-02-2010, 01:04
I was clipping up sprues for future terrain projects while watching tv one night. I'd been at it for an hour and my hand was sore, beginning to hurt a little. I switched on the lights and turned my hand over to find skin hanging from three of my fingers and blood all over my palm. It must have been the rubber grips on the clippers rubbing against the skin. Took a full week to heal properly and stop oozing gunk.

Draconis
18-02-2010, 01:46
Man, some of these make me cringe.....

Baracus
18-02-2010, 03:58
I never knew making 20+ necrons in a poorly ventilated room with all doors and windows shut would feel so enlightening.

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 04:09
I got myself in the eye once with spatter from the acetone I was using to strip some dudes I got on ebay.

The Ginger Ninja
18-02-2010, 04:10
I was modeling late a while ago, and managed to super glue my hand to my forehead :wtf:. I had a head ache and was holding my head, but didn't realize I had super glue on my hand. It took a long time under a hot shower before I gathered up the courage to rip my hand from my head. I have a finger shaped scar on my head now :eyebrows:.

Facepalm:D

This didn't hurt, but it was an annoyance for a while, I (super)glued my fingers to some newspaper, made everything slippery for a while...

nightgant98c
18-02-2010, 04:21
I once got a bit too much glue in the holes between top and bottom hulls on a falcon, and when the two halves lined up they snapped together perfectly. Unfortuneately, the excess glue shot into my eye. Iflushed my eyes with water, and hoped for the best, and aside from temporary blurred vision and the most redness I've ever seen in an eye, there were no serious effects.

Crooky
18-02-2010, 05:22
So far I've been lucky and haven't managed to hurt myself too badly doing anything... just the occasional glued or nicked fingers... but my dad has!

One time I got the fun idea of converting the bloodthirster model by changing out his weapons. I, being young and inexperienced, asked my dad for help, so we got our safety goggles on and used a dremel to cut off his axe and whip. Somewhere along the line my dad got a shard of pewter in his eye, and it took my mom 40mins or so of digging around his eyeball to get it out. I was unharmed.

Keep in mind we were both wearing safety goggles... so how that shard got in his eye, I have never quite managed to figure out.

aekold666
18-02-2010, 07:29
A friend on mine dropped the old metal dreadnought on his broke, which resulted in a trip to the hospital. After some x-rays it turned out that he had broken some bones in his foot.

Dais
18-02-2010, 08:04
ive had the usual minor cuts and glue+hand incidents but i also once stepped on a dark eldar model once. thats like an entire army of spiteful little spearmen attacking your foot at once.

MetalGecko23
18-02-2010, 08:05
When I was new to the hobby I used to get my hands covered in super glue. Once it dried I had the habit of scraping off the skin that was covered in dried glue. So it was obvious I had been working on models because I didn't have finger prints. :p
Plus my thumbs have built up so much scar tissue that I can't feel it when I cut myself. Nor can I cut deep enough any more to cause bleeding. :confused:

MrP
18-02-2010, 09:18
Well, everyone has the knife things, so to avoid repetition I'll say back-pain. Granted, that wasn't modelling so much as gaming-related. I don't think my back approves of me standing up for several hours at a time - or sitting down for that length of time, either! Either way it instructs me to go do the other one for a while.

philbrad2
18-02-2010, 09:30
Many many many knife related injuries in my model building 'career' of 35+ years. Knife in my thigh went in about 3/4 inch I have an inch long scar to remind me, sliced the skin of my knuckle down to the bone with a Stanley knife cutting plasticard so a big flap of skin was hanging off , blood everywhere. Thumb slashes, well fingerprints of my right hand thumb is all but erased in places due to the cuts sustained trimming minis.

Stuck numerous fingers and body part together with superglue, gluing my hand to my desk by 3 fingers was probably my worst had to cut my way out of that. lopped of the skin on the tip of a finger with cutters. Poked myself in the eye with paintbrushes many-many times.

Worst thing lately is my eyes, can't paint decently under normal lights, need daylight or a daylight lamp now and several hours painting can really screw my eyes up for a while.

I'm just OLD!

OH yeah and stood on a metal old stlye Plaguebearer so the plaguesword/blade went in my foot, and it actually got infected! Go Papa Nurg!

PhilB
:chrome:

Grimmeth
18-02-2010, 10:04
Range Rulers/Whippy Sticks

I don't think I need to add any more...

Curanos
18-02-2010, 10:40
A couple of months ago, while making a fairly huge planetstrike/cityfight/trench table, I managed to glue both of my feet to the floor without noticing.... until the floor suddenly rose up to hit my face that is.

Didn't walk much after that for a while....

Talos
18-02-2010, 10:58
My worst one injury was ages ago. I had just gotten the 2ed starter set me and my mate played a game on my bedroom floor we did not have time to finish before he left. So I left all the models on the floor, at night I got up to go to the bathroom forgot about the models and stepped on 30 grectin with those spikes on there helmets. Had about 10 stuck in my foot.

FashaTheDog
18-02-2010, 11:16
Both my thumbs, compliments of being ambidextrous, have been cut so many times I no longer consider any knife cut to be an injury; just part of the hobby. The new one for me is cat related. My cat loves Warhammer and 40K, although not Hordes or Warmachine, go figure. When I'm working on something, the cat steals it but due to increased vigilance the new tactic has been to claw or bite me and then steal the mini. The cat then goes and hides them under the cushin of his green mesh door hanger.

The other injury is throwing my back out once moving 4'x8' tables at the store.

Fallenity
18-02-2010, 11:18
The most common injury seems to be when cutting mold lines, happened to me a couple of times. I lost my sense of smell also for a day after working for a couple of hours with sprays and paint-remover in a not so well ventilated room x.x

About models taking a leap of faith from tables, I have a funny story :D We were playing my marines against my friends chaos. He deploys his Bloodthirster to the edge of the table and we start playing. Then during his movement phase, we notice that his Greater Daemon is no longer there. We start looking all around, wondering if someone at the shop took it because it wasn't on the floor or anything..

Then suddenly one guy shouts to my friend "Don't move!", my friend freezes instantly and is like "What...?". Carefully the dude reaches out to my friends backside and picks up the Thirster from there. It had been hanging from his backpocket by the WHIP :D

Suffice to say, we were all rather surprised that it managed to hang on while my friend moved all around the place, looking for his Daemon. Even more funny was that nobody had noticed it hanging there. Then began the obvious comments of his backside not being worthy of anyones gaze, the Daemon was fleeing from the great marine army etc... =D

We had a laugh ^^

Sorry to the OP if this was a bit out of line

bork da basher
18-02-2010, 11:30
a hobby career of 16 years and being a chef for a living means ive cut my hands more times than i can remember and barely pay any attention to cuts anymore.

my worst hobby accident was proberly slipping with my dremmel whilst drilling into a mini. slipped and drilled right through my hand in the fleshy part between thumb and forefinger. it was only the worst because i had to pull it out which was not nice.

another of my worst accidents was spilling a pot of magenta ink on my moms brand new couch which ruined it utterly when i was like 14. i'd drill my hand til it looked like swiss cheese rather than go through that again.

LonelyPath
18-02-2010, 11:52

I managed to do that myself once. Apart from that and sticking myself to models I have managed to stab myself with a scything talon before now.

Hunger
18-02-2010, 11:56
Once stood barefoot on a chaos knight's lance, which was standing upright on my floor. The lance went into the ball of my foot and went right through, emerging out the top next to the bone of my big toe.

A+E didn't know what to make of it.

"You say you stood on a lance?"

rb.uhs
18-02-2010, 12:04
Swallowed a Lord of Change.

The Inquisition knocked on the door about fifteen minutes later.

P.s. It's so much easier typing with three hands.

Adra
18-02-2010, 12:27
I used to convert plastic chaos marines using a soldering iron. i would do this after they had been stuck together. The fumes that come off plastic glue if its being super heated are not good for you. My rooms are always much better ventilated after the first time....stupid boy

Free Spirit
18-02-2010, 13:10
Love this thread!!!

Knife injuries are by far the most numerous, but certainly not the most funny ones.

All my other injuries are model related though.... I remember the first one quite clearly. When i just got into the hobby about 3 years ago i started with a CSM army. I loved the idea of converting so after 2 kits and a boss i decided to convert a chaos dread from the plastic SM one. I mailordered the bits (still miss that option every day...) and i made a dreadnought using the weird dangly person attached to the SoB penitent engine and the 2 banners from the Throne of Judgement. Add in some more wacky stuff et voila! It was a pretty slapped on job (with some help of a staff member) but i was proud of my first real conversion! I grabbed it with joy!... and then a few spiky bits found their way into my fingers. I don't remember wich bits exactly (think from the vehicle chaos sprue) but chaos thirsted for blood i guess.

Same thing happened with my WFB Chaos Knights (the newest plastic ones). Spikes EVERYWHERE!

btw,

Swallowed a Lord of Change.

This reply needs pictures!!

archie-d
18-02-2010, 13:45
im sure everyone involved in the hobby knows first-hand teh dangers of pointy banner poles. and cities of death terrain. :)

Doppleskanger
18-02-2010, 13:56
Yep lots of knife cuts and the tip of my left index finger will never feel quite right!

Last year I stopped over at a friends house to do some quick repairs before an event. Curious friend picked up my tube of superglue and fiddled with it before putting it back on the chair I was using as a makeshift table.
So he had apparently squeezed the metal tube that glue had flooded out the bottom through the crimped seam. I immediately found my hand stuck not only to the tube of glue but also the leather of the chair.
Straight away I yanked my hand off the chair and then the tube off my hand. I had to spend about an hour scraping superglue off my hand. Good luck to my friend getting a layer of my superglued skin off his leather upholstery though :evilgrin:

Keebrev
18-02-2010, 14:21
I was cutting into a metal model when a little sliver of metal flew into my left eye. I panicked for a second, but soon realised it hadn't blinded me.

After rinsing my eye with water it came out, but it did leave its mark on my eye. It hurt like hell for a couple of days and was irritated some time after so my eye kept tearing. Pretty inconvenient, but it seems I got away with it without lasting damage.

Vlad Urkana
18-02-2010, 15:31
Cutting myself has just become a part of the hobby for me now and I barely notice it unless I slice deep enough to draw blood. I've also had the odd superglue incidents including spilling some onto my bare (and hirsute) chest. That was very uncomfortable.

As far as real injuries of note goes, I've had 2 that I probably should have gone to the hospital for. The first one was right after I discovered super glue accelerator. I had purchased a bottle of the Zap Kicker liquid and apparently the nozzle had a defect in it so I had to resort to opening it and using it in dropper fashion. At this time I didn't really think about how the accelerator worked and I had spilled a quite large sum of it on my hand then I had a super glue spill. I ended that night with a crispy glue encased hand from midline to the pinky. After I managed to wash all of the glue off the chemical burns were something horrid and it was a few weeks before I even attempted to glue another model. To this day I still won't use that accelerator, it's only the aerosols for me now.

The other injury of note was when I was converting a Ghazghull model for my warboss. I was doing some pinning into the right arm at an odd angle as I wanted his arm to be held out to the side of his body and not in the awkward "scratch my ass" pose it comes with stock. Well mid-drilling with the pin vise my bit snapped and before I knew it I had driven the little needle-like bugger right through my thumb. It went in just a little left of centre and all the way out the top through my nail. That bastard didn't stop bleeding for a solid 2 hours and I ended up having to super glue it shut.

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 16:51
When I was new to the hobby I used to get my hands covered in super glue. Once it dried I had the habit of scraping off the skin that was covered in dried glue. So it was obvious I had been working on models because I didn't have finger prints. :p
Plus my thumbs have built up so much scar tissue that I can't feel it when I cut myself. Nor can I cut deep enough any more to cause bleeding. :confused:

Same here. Between modelling, guitar playing, roofing and working as a short order cook in high school my fingertips are invincible.:cool:

Damore
18-02-2010, 18:54
The worst one for me was a few years ago when I was pinning the old Metal LRC hurricane bolters. I was using a dremel to make the pin holes, and the dremel went straight thru the support and drilled in to my finger. It took weeks for my finger to heal, but that LRC always does me proud. I guess because my blood, sweat, and tears went into it. :D

Hakkapelli
18-02-2010, 21:57
All the typical superglue, knife and pin-vice related injuries and bloodshead. At one time I managed to shut a swiss army knife over my thumb. That hurt a bit I can tell you.

And on the WH historical side of the hobby there is a wonderful amount of pointy objects. I usually get a few bayonet wounds when working with my Nap. french. Worst however is ECW pikemen. Sharpened steel pikes held vertically and rested against the bases. Leaning over the painting table often causes some minor wound. Worst was however when I put my hand down on a regement of 20 or some of the buggars. I have a bit of sympathy for the cavalry since then.

Veloxnex
19-02-2010, 01:00
I have a 2 inch scar on my left thigh where i dropped a scapel straight down into it, while putting together my forgeworld bloodthirster of all things. Stiches ensued.

Vet Sergeant Leander
19-02-2010, 01:40
Have all the nicks scrapes and stabbings from the hobby tools (which are just considered part of the blood sacrifice to the gaming gods, but thats pretty much it. Worst two incidents I've been involved with was a friend falling backwards onto his night Goblin Army (The perils of playing large games on the floor) Thankfully the majority of the spears came out when we peeled his shirt off. then had to spend the next half hour conducting DIY surgery using tweezers and a scapel (and gods know how many tissues to get rid of the ones which had broken off in his back. 2nd one was a from back in the day before GW switched to white metal.. I had a friend come down with acute lead poisoning due to the habit of running the tip of the paint brush through his lips to help keep the tip's shape. Basically he was poisoning himself every time he rinsed his brush.

FashaTheDog
19-02-2010, 15:36
I have a 2 inch scar on my left thigh where i dropped a scapel straight down into it, while putting together my forgeworld bloodthirster of all things. Stiches ensued.

Holy crap! I've got a matching 1/2" or so one on my right. They used that purple medical super-glue but had I known that was all they'd do, I'd have bit the bullet and done it myself at home and saved a $50 co-pay. The glue came out at work a day later and my khaki trousers suddenly had a huge red spot on them (matched my tie though).

I still think of the scene from Young Frankenstein when I look at that scar as the knife was also all the way in my leg. I was just being careless with the cutting and found the knife sticking right in my leg not yelling at anyone.

Dangersaurus
19-02-2010, 18:53
:angel:
One time I was cutting some styrofoam with an Exacto blade, slipped and made a nice deep 2" long cut along my index finger...

Vlad Urkana
19-02-2010, 20:37
That does remind me of when I accidently layed the hot wire cutter down across my mate's bare foot. That evoked a lot of laughes from me and one of our other mates and tons of swears from him.

PapaDoc
19-02-2010, 20:45
Had a serious eyerelated accident checking line of sight from my chaos predator. Damn those spikes.

LonelyPath
19-02-2010, 21:16
After posting on this thread I was talking to a friends earlier today about modelling injuries and he told me about one time when he was using a hot wire cutter to make some polystyrene (styrofoam) hills and dropped the cutter on his leg leaving a long thin burn that lefl a scar to this day. he also reminded me of one time when I was working on a model kit while slightly (okay, very much) under the effects of drink, gashed my thumb open form tip to base, glued it up with superglue, finished the kit and then went up to A&E. I didn't really remember that one until he mentioned it and it all came flooding back. I'd always thought I'd cut it while out drinking that day, heh.

Kadris
19-02-2010, 21:38
some super glue dripped onto my leg thigh. i was wearing pants so i didnt notice it. when i stood up i found that my jeans were glued to my thigh in a small place, which tore off the first couple layers of skin.

other than that nothing really, never been cut by an exacto, but i did cut myself with my modeling saw once.

Gobskrag 'Eadbasha
19-02-2010, 23:22
I stepped on a metal grot in the middle of the night once. Woke up the whole damn house.

The Ecclesiarch
20-02-2010, 00:52
Errr i know this sounds really stupid and obvious but dont ever try gluing together metal models in the nude! Getting superglue on your .... isnt a very pleasant experience...

FashaTheDog
20-02-2010, 12:14
Errr i know this sounds really stupid and obvious but dont ever try gluing together metal models in the nude! Getting superglue on your .... isnt a very pleasant experience...

Like hot wax...for geeks.

Hyrophant
26-02-2010, 03:09
I play CSM, and I've managed to gouge myself quite a few times on the spikey bits. you wouldn't think that plastic could do so much damage, but the last time it happened, I was converting some loyalist Assault Marines to Raptors, slipped, and stuck myself. Bled for fifteen minutes, too.

Although the only time I ever cut myself is when I'm putting together Khornate units. Every time, I either stick myself with my x-acto, or get stuck by said spikey bits. Blood for the blood god, I guess?

Kurgash
26-02-2010, 06:30
I tripped over my slippers and landed on my defiler. Bled and hurt like a motherf*#@!

angels of awesome
26-02-2010, 10:41
Back when Cities of Death was new my friend went to get somthing off the board and scraped his palm over the pointy top part of one of the buildings. Left a scratch and a litle bit of skin on the building :p

Max_Killfactor
26-02-2010, 12:51
My Dark Eldar would never hurt me (plus I have toughness 4 irl), but they did get in an epic battle with my cat.

I had my army laid out on my table and I was just sitting in a chair looking at it for a few hours while naked, pretty normal. My cat decided that I should probably be looking at her instead, so she jumped from the floor onto the table. Unfortunately for my cat, she couldn't see (or didn't notice) all of my sharp-helmed Dark Eldar Warriors lined up for war.

She landed right in the middle of them, got a panicked look on her face and starting moving her paws at blinding speed, not sure what she was trying to accomplish. I think she was just trying to find a safe spot to put her paws down. Before I knew it, it was over. My Dark Eldar warriors we massacred and my cat was no one to be seen. I spent the rest of the day fixing the damage.. a lot of missing arms and warriors ripped in half at the waist. Luckily she didn't hit any of the vehicles or only rolled glancing hits on them.

I don't think I saw my cat for about 3 days after that.

bossfearless
26-02-2010, 14:25
This one jackass dumped an entire bottle of superglue into my hair. Also, there was a pin-vise through the thumb and space-crabs from a genestealer.

AndrewGPaul
26-02-2010, 14:53
I once nearly superglued my tongue to the back of my teeth. The worst I ever did was cut into the ball of my thumb so badly I wnet into mild shock and had to sit down for an hour. Apparently I went an interesting shade of grey.

Devastator
26-02-2010, 14:58
when 2 techmarines dropped to my head from top shelve :eyebrows:

Smarine14
26-02-2010, 17:10
This one jackass dumped an entire bottle of superglue into my hair.

:eyebrows: was it on purpose?

I have not really had many 40k injuries, just a knife cut here and there and a file through the bottom of my thumb and hitting my nail. :skull:

The Ginger Ninja
26-02-2010, 20:17
One of the irregulars at the club was cutting some models on his lap (only a layer of shorts in between) and his mother told him "you'll cut yourself, you should really use a board/tray or work on the table" and he said "I will be alright, mum"

Can you see where this is going?

About an hour later he is at hospital getting stitches

Sorry about the knife story, but this one beats the others for sheer stupidity hands down IMO

Parad0x
26-02-2010, 20:39
Just writing this with a slice on my left thumb made by scalpel, pressing space bar is very difficult right now... weirdest thing is, I don't even remember cutting myself!

wyvirn
01-03-2010, 00:33
Was working on some BFG models (or were they gargoyles?) with the flying bases. I glued the base to the stick, and carlessly left it on the floor. Later, i forgot it was there and didn't see it, so i stepped right on the stick. Hurt like a...well you know. Didn't pierce the skin, but it did cause some internal bleeding in my foot. Nothing serious that i know of, but there is still a deep red circle in my foot months later...

IcedAnimals
01-03-2010, 02:16
I have this glue accelerator that works wonders. I used it on a metal model that was too heavy to stick together. well the stuff ricocheted off a part of the model and right into my eye. I have worn goggles ever since when working on my models. Spending 15 minutes holding my eye lids open with my eye under running water was not fun.

duffybear1988
01-03-2010, 02:20
I once sat on a DE hellion which was a tad painful and I superglued my hand to my desk :)

SandQueen
01-03-2010, 02:26
Ive never had any sort of injury, blade or otherwise.

The only uncomfortable experience I've ever had was when someone hit on me ONCE at a local game store. It was awkward, they were pretty gross, and they did not immediatly realize that my husband was one of the regulars.

I do hobby things in an open, well lit, well ventilated area. The only issue I have ever had was when I left a pot of the orange foundation paint out for too long and it got all gummy.

brother_fandango
01-03-2010, 03:21
I was pinning a SM once, and the bit was really sharp, and went clear through the piece and into the tip of my thumb, only stopping at the inside of my thumb nail.

Fallenturtle
01-03-2010, 04:22
I play demons and dark eldar.... you can only imagine how many times i've shed blood due to all the spiky bits on the models??? why do they have to make them soo sharp!

SandQueen
01-03-2010, 05:21
I play demons and dark eldar.... you can only imagine how many times i've shed blood due to all the spiky bits on the models??? why do they have to make them soo sharp!

Why do emo kids cut themselves?

There are some questions that not even a highlander can answer...

SlightlyEstranged
01-03-2010, 06:29
Had just bought the GW tape measure (the orange one with the aquilla) had it out to about 30 inches and retracted it a little too rapidly. I had a nice gash from my large knuckle up to the nail.

Another time an irregular set several boxes of Tyranids dirctly behind me as I was playing. As I went to step back I tripped over them and ended up hitting an empty table (why he didn't set his stuff there idk) had a nice knot there for the rest the day.