PDA

View Full Version : Which Codex best represents Space Pirates?

Thornz
17-02-2010, 20:59
I am looking for a new army, and I want to make a SPACE PIRATES army.

Model wise : Humans & Orcs with a small proportion of DEldar and other Xenos

Any suggestions would be more than welcome ... ARRRGGG!

ObiWan
17-02-2010, 21:01
Eldar in general are usually corsairs and raiders, but orkz are more suited I think to represent scavenged tech, so it depends what kind of pirates you have in mind I think...

incarna
17-02-2010, 21:02
Dark Eldar are the 40k version of space pirates. Any race could, and probably do, have pirate-like factions within it so I'd say you could do just about anything.

wazatdingder
17-02-2010, 21:03
They can all be pirates
Guard=Rogue Trader
Ork=Freebootaz
DE=DE

Take your pick, make a small force of each, use together in Apocalypse

Col. Tartleton
17-02-2010, 21:10
Guard are the best for count as. Heavy use of penal legion and vets with a fat command squad and some Valkyries to represent some pirate sized troop ships. Pretty Much Air Cav vets strike me as space pirates.

Yeah. Orks and Humans aren't that different statwise. So bloodaxes or even a couple loota toting goldtoofs would work as mercenary orks. You could even model nobs with heavy weapons and say they're heavy weapon teams (second wound to represent what would normally be their higher toughness and such.)

Grax
17-02-2010, 21:15
What? How come the Orks aren't winning? Orks ARE Space Pirates! How do you think they get around the galaxy? 'Looting' is what they're all about! ^_^

Gaargod
17-02-2010, 22:41
Because dark eldar literally are pirates. Loads of cheap, fast, flimsy skimmers, with "life is cheap" troops backing up insanely killy stuff. They raid, use terror tactics, pick on vulnerable targets, wanton excessive violence + lusts... they're pirates.

Bran Dawri
17-02-2010, 22:45
Regular eldar could work pretty well, too - ruleswise, anyway.Very diverse troops selections could count as just about anything you'd want.

RampagingRavener
17-02-2010, 22:53
Imperial Guard. You've got three different kinds of human infantry (Vets, Penals, Platoons) to represent the rank-and-file scum that'll make up a pirate band. Ogryns can represent a mob or two of Orky Freebootaz; Flash Gitz taken to a life of piracy. You can take some Inquisition allies, if needed, to get some really weird stuff. A trio of Death Cult Assassins could represent three highly skilled Dark Eldar mercenaries, for example, and a suitably equipped Inquisitor a rogue/freelance Psyker.

darker4308
17-02-2010, 22:54
Witchhunters .....

Max Jet
17-02-2010, 22:59
Definately Orks.. the way they talk, the looting, the whole "Captain" characters, the slaves the trading.. Jesus, just because GW failed in writing an interesting fluff for the Dark Eldar does not make them Space Pirates on the table top.
They are rather like Eldar. Only eeeevil. And fast.

Creeping Dementia
17-02-2010, 23:32
Dark Eldar are pirates in every way. Other races may have piratical factions, but practically the entire Dark Eldar race are pirates.

Balragore
17-02-2010, 23:35
Dark Eldar are the 40k version of space pirates.

Pretty much what incarna said, along with Orks and even Kroot (if you can still find their WD/GW? special army list/rules).

Partisan Rimmo
18-02-2010, 00:24
Brilliant idea, love it, but I think they current system makes it just too difficult outside Apocalypse :(

Guard, I suppose.

sigur
18-02-2010, 00:24
It's really really hard with what you want. I mean, humans, Eldar and Orks in one list? Thing is, race-specific statlines. And they are very different. I think you should settle for either one of the three.

Lord Malorne
18-02-2010, 00:31
Tau, pirates are not aswell trained (geneally) as standing forces, the stats tau have reflect this and have a very wide range of units, combat pirates I doubt would be any good (hence kroot) and the flying transports are good for ye raiding scum.

Really, Tau is the best option for what you have in mind.

Thornz
18-02-2010, 00:51
It's really really hard with what you want. I mean, humans, Eldar and Orks in one list? Thing is, race-specific statlines. And they are very different. I think you should settle for either one of the three.The question then is ... would DE, Rogue traders, Orcs, and Xenos join together in a merc / pirate fassion ? I was hoping ofr glorious modeling oppertunities & vehicle conversions.

GrogDaTyrant
18-02-2010, 01:32
I voted Imperial Guard, as they're human. Unless you want your space pirates to be Dark Eldar, or Ork ones, I think the statline and armaments of the IG would match more accurately. Vehicles... are another matter altogether. but by keeping it to the lighter vehicles I think it would work out alright.

nightgant98c
18-02-2010, 04:14
Dark Eldar are space pirates. Over the top space priates to be sure, but space pirates.

laudarkul
18-02-2010, 07:29
Dark Eldar for sure. They symbolize the space pirates in the 40k universe and their codex seems ok.

the1stpip
18-02-2010, 07:35
Dark Eldar. End of conversation.

Brother Loki
18-02-2010, 09:38
I guess what you're looking for is an updated version of the 40k space pirates list from the original Chapter Approved book. That had humans, squats and Eldar in the crew, though no orks. I could see orks fitting in though quite happily.

It's a real shame that nothing similar exists today in official form. The ability to collect a squad or two from several different model ranges would surely drive sales, and could well encourage people to start multiple armies.

DeadlySquirrel
18-02-2010, 15:41
i was going to do a pirate army using the previous guard codex with doctrines, but not anymore since, well, they updated =[

magicmonkey
18-02-2010, 18:04
other
codex space pirates currently being created by a crazy erson in a shed with no chance of ever being bought out
(kinda like the new dark eldar:D)

The Devourer
18-02-2010, 18:40
Imperial guard.

Humans and orks are the most common species so there would probably be more of those as pirates. Also DE are the perfect raiders but they have the obvious enslave and torture you whereas actual pirates probably don't care about that and just want to get rich.

Humans boarding parties could be vets in valkyries. The normal crew could be penal legion. Big Blood axe Orks could be ogryns and Orks inside deff dread style walkers could be sentinels. Marbo could be an assasin / demolition expert. LRBT could be all types of scavenged vehicles, you could go crazy converting vehicles here. These could be crewed by orks and humans.

For a leader a commisar in a unit of storm troopers would represent a warlord in his elite bodyguard.

Thornz
18-02-2010, 21:57
I guess what you're looking for is an updated version of the 40k space pirates list from the original Chapter Approved book. That had humans, squats and Eldar in the crew, though no orks. I could see orks fitting in though quite happily.
Thank you very much for that!

I also found some 2nd Ed. 40k Pirate lists in Citidel Journel 13 & 14! looking them up now! :) :) :)