PDA

View Full Version : Witches ain't no snitches.

wazatdingder
18-02-2010, 04:15
While I was pleased at the release of the Witch Hunters Codex, I have come to see it as a lame use of the successful Demon Hunters Codex.

I loved the DH Dex. It opened a ton of options in cross-imperium forces. Yet the WH Dex was nowhere near as good as far as the inquisition is concerned.\

1. No Mystics
2. No Demonhosts

Yes, you get a bit more anti-psyker stuff, but not enough.

Upon looking back at the Sisters Dex (2nd ed.) they really have nothing to do with the Inquisition. They are the Ecclesiarchy. Where are the Fraternis Militia? Where are the Missionaries?

Sisters are members of the Ecclesiarchy, not the Inquisition.
While I love the Inquisition, give it it's own dex. Let the Sistaz fill there roll as Religious leaders/Nuns with Guns.

Holla if ya hear me!!!:angel:

Amen!

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 04:18
To be honest, I never saw the reason for not issuing both codexes in one. There was as many similarities as differences.

bigcheese76
18-02-2010, 11:35
Im not too bothered wether the two codexes stay apart or become one, I just want some plastics to come out alongside the new codex.

Sir_Turalyon
18-02-2010, 11:52
The stated main concern of Ordo Hereticus is political police keeping imperial organizations and citizens in line and ensuring that planetary governors / ecclessiahy cardinals / munitorium officers / other people trusted by Imperium with power don't use it to go renegade. Battle Sisters and Arbites make sense as their close allies because, as long as it's not Ecclesiarchy official who's commiting heresy, they are least likely to join conspiration and can be trusted with uprooting it. In fact Sisters make more sense then Hereticus usurping psyker-hunting responsibilities from Malleus and calling themselves Witch Hunters, which makes only so much sense as investigation of people in highest positions requiring good cover story.

sliganian
18-02-2010, 16:06
The real problem [here is where I brace for impact] is that the Sisters are really the ONLY "Inquisitorial" force that should be a standard 40K army. I agree that they are NOT an 'Inquisitorial" force per se. All other aspects of the Inquisitorial forces really [here's where I put on my flame-resistant suit] should only be Scenarios -- not 'armies'.

Seriously, look at the back of Daemonhunters book with its long and peculiar contortions of story-telling as to why -- for instance-- Grey Knights would be fighting Tau. The truth is that GK's and Inquisitors would not be wandering about doing "Seize the Objective" bog standard missions. They should only show up when something actually requires their attention -- like a flood of Bloodthristers emerging from the head of the local govenor.

As for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers/Arbites I ask this: How many street cops are fighting in Afganistan at the moment? Yeah, 40K cops make for occasionally interesting Black Library books but should not be a field army either.

Aegius
18-02-2010, 16:42
As for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers/Arbites I ask this: How many street cops are fighting in Afganistan at the moment? Yeah, 40K cops make for occasionally interesting Black Library books but should not be a field army either.

A lot of countries such as afghanistan have a 'militia' type police forces, who dress and are armed in a similar manner to their soldiers. It's only really western type countries that don't. So in a big scary 40k universe, it is entirely possible that military actions could be undertaken by police forces.

Promethius
18-02-2010, 17:03
The other argument for inquisition forces is that they are summoned whenever the threat is greatest, so although there are not as many inquisitorial stormtrooper strike teams as there are standard guard forces, they will be present in the big campaigns which gw seems to be focusing on. Also, they're cool.

Really I see the next book(s) being more codex inquisition/grey knights and codex ecclesiarchy, which is not a bad thing. The grey knights could easily absorb some more options and a couple of deathwatch units, and the witch hunters could gain some frateris and all the other gubbins they used to have. Stromtroopers with shotguns would make great arbites as well.

BigBossOgryn
18-02-2010, 17:43
Fluff in Codices has always been ********. GW writers will bend, warp and twist it so that any unit can end up in any possible situation just to make them look cool.

I agree with the OP, WHs don't feel anywhere near as well thought out as DHs. The Arco-flagellants were a cool idea let down by bum models. The Penitent Engines were awsome if not a total rip-off of the Matrix but beyond that they weren't all that good.

I also agree with sliganian. There shouldn't be GK armies because it's against the very nature of the order. They are small strike teams backed up by the Inquisition and Stormtroopers. The Codex as a whole did not feel like a 'strike force' more like an overexpensive SM army. But then how do you create an army book out of what are effectively situational based strike forces? Kill Teams, Grey Knights, Inquisitors and Stormtroopers don't make sense in that role but then having SoB become the rank and file for the Inqusition doesn't really fit either.

sliganian
18-02-2010, 17:47
Really I see the next book(s) being more codex inquisition/grey knights and codex ecclesiarchy, which is not a bad thing. The grey knights could easily absorb some more options and a couple of deathwatch units, and the witch hunters could gain some frateris and all the other gubbins they used to have. Stromtroopers with shotguns would make great arbites as well.

If GW is determined to keep Inquisitorial forces as 'armies' then I think they can all be easily covered in one Codex using special HQ rules and restrictions (ala Orks and SM). There is so much duplication between the two books that the actual core of different units are minimal. Off the top of my head it would look like:

HQ
6-7 Special Characters that no one wants and will not play but will take up space because the designers want them for 'flavour'.

Inquisitor Lord
Canoness
GK Grand Master

ELITES
DeathWatch Kill Team
Celestians
GK Dreadnoughts
Assassins

TROOPS
Sisters
GK's
StormTroopers

FAST
Repentia
GK Drop Team
Seraphim
Immolator (?)
Archo-Flagellants

HEAVY
GK LandRaider
Dominions
Exorcists
Walker thingy in the Sister's list that no one uses

BigBossOgryn
18-02-2010, 17:56
I would prefer something more akin to the 4th Ed Chaos Codex which would effectively be three mini army lists. GKs and WHs would be the meat of the book with Xenos Kill Teams perhaps having an Inquisitor added (bringing their total entries to 2 :p ).

The problem is; you can't standardise the Inquisition armies. You can give them common units such as Storm Troopers, Inquisitors and Rhinos but you would loose so much diversity by making them all one list.

Unless Gw want a repeat of the Chaos Codex. :shifty:

DinoDoc
18-02-2010, 18:21
1. No Mystics
2. No Demonhosts1) Mystics don't really fit the fluff of the OH
2) If you really want a useless but fun unit no one uses take a Penetint Engine.

Upon looking back at the Sisters Dex (2nd ed.) they really have nothing to do with the Inquisition.They are the chamber militant of the OH. That kinda means they do have something to do with the Inquisition.

I'm also confused by your claim that the OM dex is the most successful as the OH dex still hangs together as being the strongest of the two by any objective measure.