PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into fantasy.

polymphus
18-02-2010, 05:38
Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I last played WFB; at least two years but I've been thinking of dusting off my skaven and giving it another go. The problem is, from scanning the forums my old friendly list has become some sort of absurdly cheesy 'play this and you eat babies' types arrangement. See, I used to use a big unit of censer bearers and a pair of converted DoW rat giants that I was thinking of having as HPAs. I sold off most of my clanrats a while back so to get to 2000pts I'd need to use all of those as well as a few units of jezzails. Buying up a new skaven army is out of the question; I simply don't have the funds any more.

The other option is my Ogres; there's about 2000pts painted up in the bottom of a box somewhere but that's at the exact opposite end of the spectrum. It seems bringing ogres to the table means you may as well give your opponent the game and walk away.

So what do I do? Wait for the new ogre book and hope it lands somewhere in the 'friendly but still competitive' sweet spot? Start a new (cheaper than skaven) army? Keep playing 40K? Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Noserenda
18-02-2010, 05:57
Our local group is in a similar situation, I havent played this latest edition at all for example... :( But with 8th Around the corner we decided to wait for that and just pick up some extra models while we waitied.

Necromancy Black
18-02-2010, 06:04
Why can't you just play at less then 2000 points of skaven until you can slowly build up your army and get use to all the rules?

Seriously, 1000 and 1500 points games of warhammer are pretty damn good!

Dantès
18-02-2010, 06:54
Why can't you just play at less then 2000 points of skaven until you can slowly build up your army and get use to all the rules?

Seriously, 1000 and 1500 points games of warhammer are pretty damn good!

What he said ^^

I say go for the Skaven, at least give them a go. Keep 'em at 1000, and you'll still have your OK, so you can switch between the two as you want, until you build up a 2k Skaven army or the OK book comes out, whichever comes first :p

I'm in pretty much the same boat: I bought a big lot of NiB Skaven online, which came out to about 1000 with a couple heroes, and I've expanded to 1750. I keep playing at 1000 though, because it's so much more fun.

P.s.- I've had the "Hero Of Canton" song stuck in my head all day for some reason...then I come across your avatar. What a coincidence! Or is it!?