PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to 40k

Rogzor87
18-02-2010, 07:49
I was just curious to see the amount of people who would allow it

I quit 40k once 4th edition came out.

I want to come back now, but the only army i have rules and models for is the old 3rd edition, Citadel Journal Army "Harlequins" I have roughly 1500 pnts.

I am curious to see how many of you all would still allow it in play. I know it would never be allowed tournament wise. and with the new 5th edition rules I would get wrecked in almost everygame unless the field is SMOTHERED in terrian.

So what are all your opinions?!

The Marshel
18-02-2010, 07:56
if it were a 4th ed army, you probably wouldn't have many issues, but well, 3rd ed seems a bit far.

is there really no way to rebuild it as an eldar army?

Rogzor87
18-02-2010, 08:08
I have 15 Harlequins, 1 Solitaire, 1 Great Harlequin, 3 Death Jesters and 3 Wraith Lords. I would have to buy stuff and I don't really have the money. heh.

I think it would be fun. If people would let me use it. But then again i am almost garunteed to lose unless the field is covered in terrian. They are strictly a Melee army with hardly any shooting.

Caratacos
18-02-2010, 10:51
A while ago I tried to create rules for Harlequins in Apocalypse. I have never playtested them, but maybe you could use them or change them the way you want them to be.

The Masque Master
WS: 6
BS: 5
S: 3
T: 3
W: 3
I: 7
A: 4
Ld: 10
Sv: 4+ (i )

Special Rules: Independent Character, Counter-Attack
Wargear: Rictus Mask, Improved Holo-Suit, Fusion Pistol, Kiss of Death

The Great Shadowseer
A: 3

Special Rules: Independent Character, Misdirection
Wargear: Tanglefoot grenades, Improved Holo-Suit, Witchweapon, Shuriken Pistol

The Death Master
W: 2

Special Rules: Independent Character, Crack Shot, Fast Shot
Wargear: Improved Holo-Suit, Powerblades, Brightlance

The Master Mime
W: 2
Sv: -

Special Rules: Independent Character, Master of Infiltration, Stealth
Wargear: Stealth Suit, Dire Sword, Shuriken Pistol
Additional Asset: Trophy Kill

The Solitaire
WS: 7
BS: 7
S: 4
T: 4
A: 4
Ld: -

Special Rules: Independent Character – cannot join units , Soulless, Eternal Warrior, Prefered Enemy – Chaos
Wargear: Rictus Mask, Improved Holo-Suit, Mirror Swords

Mimes
WS: 5
BS: 4
W:1
I: 6
A: 2
Sv: -

Special Rules: Infiltration, Stealth
Wargear: Stealth Suit, Harlequin’s Kiss, Shuriken Pistol

Special Equipment

Rictus Mask
A face mask fitted with a small holo-projector that plays the death-throes of the harlequin’s previous opponents. Models in assault with the character (or any unit the wearer has joined ), suffers a -1 to Leadership during the assault.

Improved Holo-suit
A better version of the normal harlequin holo-suit. It confers a 4+ invulnerable saving throw.

Kiss of Death
A state of the art Harlequin’s Kiss. It wounds on 2+ and ignores armour saves.

Witchweapon
A weapon similar to a witchblade, but can come in any shape. Count as witchblade.

Stealth Suit
As the Stealth Suit used by Vindicare Temple Assassins

Tanglefoot Grenade
The Creidann grenade launcher of the Great Shadowseer is loaded with both hallucinogen and tanglefoot grenades. The tanglefoot grenade is designed to slow down opponents. The Great Shadowseer and any unit it joins count as being equipped with both offensive and defensive grenades.

Special Rules

Misdirection
The Great Shadowseer is able to cast two psychic powers each turn. By using misdirection the Shadowseer reaches into the minds of the enemy seeding thoughts of doubt and confusion. This follows the same rules as Warlock powers. Any enemy wishes to charge the Great Shadowseer, or any unit it has joined, must pass a Leadership test by rolling 3D6. If the test is failed the enemy unit may do nothing in that assault phase.

Soulless
The Solitaire’s soul is promised to Slaanesh. The Solitaire does not have to take any Leadership test of any kind (morale checks, pinning etc.). In addition, any attack which relies upon the Solitaire’s Leadership value (for example a neuro-disruptor or the Farseer psychic power Mind War) have no effect and automatically fail.

Master of Infiltration
The Master Mime has perfected the skill of infiltration to the point where no-one can match his skill. The master Mime is always placed in reserve. When he becomes available he may be placed anywhere on the battlefield, and can move and fight normally in the turn he arrives.

Formation
1 Masque Master
1 Great Shadowseer
1 Death Master
1 Master Mime
1 Solitaire
1 Mime Troupe
3-6 ten-strong Harlequin Troupes

Special Rules

Strike Force
All units in the Masque, except the Mime Troupe and the Master Mime, must be deployed with a model within 12” of the Masque Master, or if coming on from Reserve, they must enter within 12” of the point where the Masque Master entered.

Foe of Chaos
The Harlequin Masque formation may only be fielded when playing against an army which consists of elements of Chaos. When fighting Chaos forces all Harlequins in the Masque become Fearless.

Point cost: 1050 +cost for Harlequin Troupes. (I actually have no idea of what a decent point cost would be. I took 150 points each for the Masque Master, Great Shadowseer, Death Master and Master Mime. 250 for the Solitaire and 200 for the Mimes.)

Rogzor87
18-02-2010, 11:24
I would probly just use the Old Rules. As I still have them. and I will be more then willing to allow my opponents to read the rules before they decide to play. I don't see why people would be so against. For as I stated new rules with Rock them. Unless they can magically get Invuln Saves over there Cover saves. Then they might stand a chance.

As for what you listed. Most things are overpriced and you got rid of some of there rules for being harlequins, Larger Coherency, The Mask that reduces WS by 1/2, Flip Belts, Fleet, ETC.

I will Post the 1500 List I made, and then If anyone inquires I will explain the rulings if need be.

Rogzor87
18-02-2010, 11:32
HQ
Great Harlequin
-Power Blades/Kiss/Plasma Pistol/D-Field/Haywire Grenades/Tanglefoot Grenades/Dread Mask
Total= 162

ELITES
Solitaire
-Power Blades/Kiss/Plasma Pistol/D-Field/Haywire Grenades/Tanglefood Grenades
Total= 162

3x Death Jesters
1x Bright Lance
2x Shrieker Cannon
Total = 151

3x Death Jesters
3x Bright Lance
Total= 171

TROUPE
5x Harlequin Troupe
1x Troupe Master/Power Blades/Kiss/Plasma Pistol
2x Plasma Pistol/2x Kiss/5x Haywire/5x Tanglefoot
Total = 232

5x Mime Troupe
1x Troupe Master/Power Blades/Kiss/Plasma Pistol
2x Plasma Pistol/2x Kiss/5x Haywire/5x Tanglefoot
Total = 232

HEAVY
Harlequin Wraithlord
D-Cannons
Total= 125

Harlequin Wraithlord
D-Cannons
Total= 125

Harlequin Wraithlord
Brightlance
Total= 135

I can Switch out one unit of Death Jesters for another 5-man Troupe, but then I lose Anti Tank Fire Power thats ranged.

Cuchulain84
18-02-2010, 12:16
I've seen a couple of Harlequin armies using the Dark Eldar codex. It seems to suit their style.

Culven
18-02-2010, 17:53
Wraithlords? :eyebrows: I never liked that that fan added Wraithlords in the second article.

I wouldn't have an issue with my opponent wanting to use the Harlequins unofficial codex from CJ (except for those stupid Wraithlords which don't fit the fluff at all ;)). They are probably more handicapped now, and might have a tough time of it.

If you want to make a Harlequin themed Eldar army at some point, you could add some bikes as Troops and counts as the leaders into Autarchs and Farseers. The rest would be the Harlequins from the codex.

P.S. You don't seem to have a rules question, more of a 40K General discussion of "would you let me use these rules". You may want to ask a mod to move the thread.

Rogzor87
18-02-2010, 22:02
How would I ask a MOD to move this thread?

And yeah Wraithlords don't really fit the theme since Harlequins don't wear those soulstone things. They don't keep Souls trapped so they wouldn't have any to put in Wraithlords. But without them I lose Anti-Armor Power. And something to soak in shots

Culven
18-02-2010, 23:15
If you report your first post you can ask a mod to move the thread.

WinglessVT2
18-02-2010, 23:18
I played using those rules in 4th edition, and most games were a struggle.
In 5th, it would be a lot worse - maybe even unplayable.

You're better off picking up some eldar, and using your harlequins as the harlequins in their codex.

Codsticker
19-02-2010, 02:04
As this is not a rules question, I am moving this to 40K General (although it could easily end up in either Rules Development or Army Lists).

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

Rogzor87
19-02-2010, 06:00
I played using those rules in 4th edition, and most games were a struggle.
In 5th, it would be a lot worse - maybe even unplayable.

I Still think there playable. But are they Winnable? thats the difference. The sport of the game is to have fun and I know I will have fun being allowed to play this army. If I could win with them then thats a bonus.

The only way I can see the Winning is if the Field is Smothered with Terrain as stated before OR if i went against an oponent that was Melee heavy and took Minimal shooting.

Or Maybe Space Marines since They don't Get Over run if sweeped into. So i can stay in combat longer. since Harlie's will almost ALWAYS win in melee combat