PDA

View Full Version : LGS Etiquette... Funny Story.

Razaan
18-02-2010, 19:15
I know it's a topic already covered... but really I just wanted to tell a story from last night because it was odd, funny and disgusting.

-----------------

So we are all sitting there playing and there's this older gentleman spectating. He was silent, keeping to himself and nodding with approval when he inspected our models. A few times he hunched over to get a closer look, eying up the battlefield and taking in the 3750 point per side game we were playing. He had a couple WWII model boxes clutched in his arms, a Sherman Tank and a P-51 Mustang. He hung around our table for a few minutes, watching my Vindicators completely miss a unit of Deffkoptas and a squad of Thunderhammer Terminators annihilate some Biker Boyz. He then looked over at the other table, now suddenly interested in the Tyranid slaughter at the hands of Abaddon and Kharn. Realizing that my Ultramarines were done, he stood up straight and began to work his way around the players, chairs and other tables to watch the Trygon fall to a whirlwind of chain-axes.

His walk from our table to the next took exactly 18 steps. I know this because he audibly farted with each and every step. And they weren't quiet little toots of air, easily mistaken for an old worn out pair of shoes scuffing on the floor. These were loud enough that my table of four quit talking and ceased rolling saves for those 18 brief moments. All the while, the aged and slightly hunched man proceeded to inspect Abaddon and his buddies, oblivious to the field of silence in the rest of the shop.

At first it seemed as though Abaddon's Black Legion failed to capture his attention, as he picked himself up and scampered out the door in a half-hurried, half-uncaring manner. But then the realization as to the reason for the sudden departure hit us... quickly followed by the reason itself.

That man left us 18 plague weapons that Typhus himself would be proud to claim as his own. Those who were fully aware of the situation at our table were able to make cover saves by thrusting our shirts up over our noses and waving our hands frantically in the air. The Tyranid and Chaos Marine players weren't so lucky. They were hit squarely by the orbital blasts and immediately began coughing and gagging. You would almost see the stench in the air as it filled the small game store.

Ordnance weapons while moving... We knew all the while that the old man was Slow and Relentless but we never fully understood what it meant until after the damage was done.

-------------

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Tiller5
18-02-2010, 19:27
Thanks for sharing that little gem of a story - that had me laughing and feeling sympathy for all in the store at the time, in equal measure!

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that myself, though there seems to be little in the way of etiquette in LGS' - I'm sure I've seen kids on the verge of breaking out into fights whilst the staff focussed on selling Battleforces to their customers.

Lemmywinkz
18-02-2010, 19:29
Um, unless a part of the story got left out, as of right now I'm reading that as the best theft of a Mustang and Sherman ever?

Most of the people I have been able to play with are polite enough to use SBDs.

sliganian
18-02-2010, 19:30
I know it's a topic already covered... but really I just wanted to tell a story from last night because it was odd, funny and disgusting.
-------------

Giving or recieving? :D

x-esiv-4c
18-02-2010, 19:37
A little crop-dusting can always be expected.

Ph4lanx
18-02-2010, 19:38
That is just absolutely hilarious :) Although I think more by the fact that your awesome storytelling puts it in the gaming perspective :) Did you not send Fast Attack after him? I reckon a Febreze/Febreze Land Speeder would have done well.

Razaan
18-02-2010, 19:38
Sorry, he paid for them before coming back to check out our games. He wasn't a thief.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
18-02-2010, 19:42
LGS: Lawn Gnome Syndrome? Last Go Syndrome? Lateral Gravity Syndrome? Let's Get Serious?

Frankly, stop using acronyms! If you think that all foreigners can understand your slang, you're wrong!
Please, be nice enough to let us share your hilarity...

Razaan
18-02-2010, 19:47
LGS = Local Gaming Shop. My apologies, I learned that acronym from these forums... plus I'm an American and we all expect foreigners to understand what we are saying without us having to make accommodations. :)

Culven
18-02-2010, 19:53
LGS = Local Gaming Shop. My apologies, I learned that acronym from these forums... plus I'm an American and we all expect foreigners to understand what we are saying without us having to make accommodations. :)
Well, there is one accomodation that always helps. Repeat yourself slowly and loudly. That surely must make it easier for others to understand one's language, yes? ;)

superdupermatt
18-02-2010, 19:57
LGS: Lawn Gnome Syndrome? Last Go Syndrome? Lateral Gravity Syndrome? Let's Get Serious?

Frankly, stop using acronyms! If you think that all foreigners can understand your slang, you're wrong!
Please, be nice enough to let us share your hilarity...

Would you like some dip for that chip on your shoulder? I think I can safely say that LGS is one of the most well known acronyms used, in fact I'm pretty sure GW use it too. If you weren't aware of what it was, a simple google search would of answered your query, instead you've just joined the swelling ranks of whiners that are unfortunately clogging up this forum. :rolleyes:

This bit made me laugh the most, but only because the actual article made me feel sick! The British method for dealing with foreigners is to SPEAK LOUDLY, or failing that, beat them with our passports. :D

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
18-02-2010, 19:57

Thank you. And +1 for the humorous analysis in your second sentence.;)

@superdupermatt: 1) it was the first time I saw this acronym. 2) When I go on the GW site, I use the french version, 3) when I'm reading a post on a convivial international forum, I expect that people use "standard" English. Whining? If you want to call it that...

superdupermatt
18-02-2010, 20:10
@superdupermatt: 1) it was the first time I saw this acronym. 2) When I go on the GW site, I use the french version, 3) when I'm reading a post on a convivial international forum, I expect that people use "standard" English. Whining? If you want to call it that...

It's fair enough if it was your first encounter of LGS, but as stated, instead of being so... negative you could of just researched. It's not a stretch, and yes, the use of acronyms can be tedious when used extensively, but LGS is a well known one.

Also, I feel the need to apologise as my overall disdain at the recent decline of etiquette on this website has left a bitter taste, and this bitterness was misdirected towards your post.

Pourriez vous me pardonner?

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
18-02-2010, 20:19
It's fair enough if it was your first encounter of LGS, but as stated, instead of being so... negative you could of just researched. It's not a stretch, and yes, the use of acronyms can be tedious when used extensively, but LGS is a well known one.

Also, I feel the need to apologise as my overall disdain at the recent decline of etiquette on this website has left a bitter taste, and this bitterness was misdirected towards your post.

Pourriez vous me pardonner?

Forgiven. I don't take offense so easily.:)
In fact, I searched on this site: www.urbandictionary.com which usually give me the answer I need when it comes to slang and/or acronyms.
As far as decline of etiquette is concerned, I regret it too, but it's not a fact limited to this website.
And I apologise for having make you lose your legendary British phlegm.;)
It was not a rugby game, after all...

Void Reaper
18-02-2010, 20:29
Good story. When you're playing a game at an LGS, you have to accept the weird people who wander through and make small talk...but you'd think you wouldn't have to worry about chemical warfare!

[SD] Bob Plisskin
18-02-2010, 21:10
whilst reading this story at work i was letting a few off myself for my colleagues to enjoy. So guess I can appreciate the guys position.

Freakiq
18-02-2010, 21:51
Felt some pretty foul whiffs at the local game store, mostly when it's filled with kids stuffed to the gills with fast food and candy.

The worst part is that being a pretty big guy everyone will think it's me. :shifty:

Ork X
18-02-2010, 21:53
awesome story....

wazatdingder
18-02-2010, 21:54

As An American (AAA), I too was unfamiliar With This Acronym (WTA). On the subject of etiquette, It is proper to Write Out the Acronym (WOtA) once before proceeding to use it.

But then again AAA I know nothing about etiquette.:D

Just ask the old man at your LGS.:cheese:

Bodysnatcher
18-02-2010, 21:57
Being able to fart the Imperial March as your army advances really adds to the menace though.

Lemmywinkz
18-02-2010, 22:23
Ok good he didn't rip off the game store :) that would still have been awesome though lol.

Um, the only etiguette my friends and I have really is no tellin people what to do, and any dice you pick up are automatically counted as failed because we had one guy that kept picking up the dice as soon as they stopped rolling saying that they passed.

Occulto
18-02-2010, 23:51

The first GT I went to.

GW managed to book a room that was about 50% too small for the number of participants. :rolleyes: Everyone's crammed in like sardines and there was less than a metre (a little over 3 feet for those on the imperial system) clearance between tables.

The player standing behind me proceeded to deliver over 2 hours of silent but deadlies.

To make matters worse, if I sat down, he was farting directly into the back of my head. :cries: