PDA

View Full Version : The Decision - Which Shall be my First Army

Plague.Monk
18-02-2010, 21:04
So it has come down to which army I shall go and purchase the Codex for today, along with a box if they're in stock. Here are my options:

Tyranid - Basically a cool factor choice here. Their models are just plain sweet, especially the Trygon and Warriors. Also, probably be one of the easier ones to paint (for me at least).

Chaos Space Marines - Cool factor for sure, but also enjoy the idea behind it. The Death Guard concept discussed in my last thread really appeals to me, especially since I have a weird thing for Pestilent and plague themed things. Plus I could always do a multi-God army list by buying more units.

Blood Angels - The only real reason they are on here is because my friend offered me a rather solid 2500 pt army for $250. They are getting redone in July, and Mephiston sounds like a monster. I did enjoy their book series as well from what I read.

Celestial Lions (Black Templars) - This one would satisfy my love for being way too overly creative about random things. Lots of modding, creating my own transfers, ordering extra bits, but could possibly turn out completely amazing.

:skull:
Any type of opinion on each army, experiences, army lists, fun factor, etc is very welcome. Help the new guy make a good decision that will hopefully keep me hooked on the game for a long long time :) (I need to get away from MMOs something fierce)

SPYDER68
18-02-2010, 21:22
The way you talk about them.. i would haft to say do Celestial Lions.

Tiller5
18-02-2010, 21:24
I also voted Celestial Lions - you don't see too many of them ab out, and of course as a first army you will have access to a wide variety of Space Marine kits to personalise and customise your force.

If you go with them, you will HAVE to put up a painting log for us to see! :D

MarshallSam
18-02-2010, 21:24
The way you talk about them.. i would haft to say do Celestial Lions.

Totally agree! You sound as if you have the army already built in your head so you may as well see it through to completion.:D

wazatdingder
18-02-2010, 21:39
I don't know if BT is the way to go lions, I think the SW dex offers a more diverse list.
But I vote Nurgle, If you like converting Chaos, thats the way to go.

igenstilch
18-02-2010, 21:41
Chaos, we dont discriminate.
http://logo.cafepress.com/2/1221917.6257882.jpg

EDIT: dang, cant get the image to display...

Grax
18-02-2010, 21:42
As a person who started playing 40k as Tau, and subsequently failed to understand the subtleties of the game, I'd say there are 4 armies which are the best to start with, not because they're easy or powerful, but because they give you a full understanding of the game, and not just a limited slice of it:

Space Marines
Chaos Marines
Eldar
Orks

Each of those armies has virtually every type of unit in the game within it, and will treat you well.

Personally, I voted Chaos Marines, but White Lion Space Marines will also work well. I wouldn't go Blood Angels or Tyranids to begin with.

Good luck!

enigma-96
18-02-2010, 21:44
Voted Lions but only on the stipulation that you name each and every one of them :) On the other hand though I would say take the Blood Angel deal since:
A) They are getting redone
B) It is an amazing deal from the sounds of it
C) You can practice your building and painting on them so that when you do start the Lions you can make 'em real purdy like ;)
D) The Blood Angels will allow you to play immediately while you take your time building up your Lions, trust me on this one it feels awful playing with your heavily converted models before they are truly done and it tends to cause a great deal of agony knowing that you can't play with them for awhile, especially if you are heavily converting them.

So yeah go Blood Angels, but pick up a Tac box or something and order those shoulder pads and extra bits so that once you get into the groove of playing Angels you'll be able to spend your down time on modelling up those sexy sexy Lions.

*edit yeah I agree with Wazatdingder Vanilla Marines or Space Wolves, hell even Dark Angels, would probably represent the Lions better than Black Templar, but hey it's your army so do what you will.

Lemmywinkz
18-02-2010, 22:19
I voted tyrand because I play imperial guard and I love playing against them, I always think of the aliens movie and starship troopers.

crushinbeats
18-02-2010, 22:30
Play whatever you enjoy building, converting and painting.. Too many all primered armies out there...

Gmaleron
18-02-2010, 22:31
The last thing the world needs is another Space Marine player! Fight the temptation lol, I would go with the nids just because they are a great army to play and are pretty easy to understand, get close and eat people.

Angelwing
18-02-2010, 22:44
Play whatever you enjoy building, converting and painting.. Too many all primered armies out there...

This. Buy the army with the models you like best.

WinglessVT2
18-02-2010, 22:49
Play something that inspires you.

Plague.Monk
18-02-2010, 23:17
Voted Lions but only on the stipulation that you name each and every one of them :) On the other hand though I would say take the Blood Angel deal since:
A) They are getting redone
B) It is an amazing deal from the sounds of it
C) You can practice your building and painting on them so that when you do start the Lions you can make 'em real purdy like ;)
D) The Blood Angels will allow you to play immediately while you take your time building up your Lions, trust me on this one it feels awful playing with your heavily converted models before they are truly done and it tends to cause a great deal of agony knowing that you can't play with them for awhile, especially if you are heavily converting them.

So yeah go Blood Angels, but pick up a Tac box or something and order those shoulder pads and extra bits so that once you get into the groove of playing Angels you'll be able to spend your down time on modelling up those sexy sexy Lions.

*edit yeah I agree with Wazatdingder Vanilla Marines or Space Wolves, hell even Dark Angels, would probably represent the Lions better than Black Templar, but hey it's your army so do what you will.

its more so the models I'd be using because I like the tabard on the body more than the actual rule set.

Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em comin!

As for which models I like best, it'd have to be the idea of my Lions or the Chaos overall, but I do really like the Tyranid models because they just seem more ravenous and powerful. . . The Nurgle Prince would require a new head in my eyes haha.

Mannimarco
18-02-2010, 23:27
voted death guard cos........well im a nurgle fan boy, that and ive just sent you my 2 most commonly used lists ;)

pure death guard is also very forgiving for a newbie

bigcheese76
18-02-2010, 23:30
Blood Angels.
They look great on the table in their bright red.
They are getting a new book soon, so will definately be 5th ed competative and compatible soon.
$250 for 2500 points, bargain.

Plague.Monk
19-02-2010, 03:00
The offer for the Blood Angels may not coincide with my arrival of extra finances, SO, they are unfortunately not as likely scenario (and I just read some of the rules/lore to them and damn, they're bad ass).

Chaos seems to be winning! Any more input is welcome.

As for the Celestial Lions, I will be purchasing either a Emperor's Champion or High Marshall Helbrecht as well as some lion shoulder bits to paint/mod, so I can get my idea down on a model to work from there either now or the future.

Baracus
19-02-2010, 05:05
I hate nids with a fiery passion that consumes my soul but they just got a codex and they have a solid list so you don't need to worry about any thing bad happening and nobody wants a new space marine player.

TheDarkDuke
19-02-2010, 05:31
IMO based off of our four "main/first thought/justification" on why to start them, always go with the army you say to yourself "oh such cool models". They are after all what you have to buy, assemble, paint, move and look at every time.

Id say this is the stronger case for a starting army as well. Once you get into everything and start a second army to me thats when you go into far greater depth, as you still can play your original army.

19-02-2010, 05:37
get on the nid band wagon, too many 3+ armor saves in the game these days.

Plague.Monk
19-02-2010, 05:56
IMO based off of our four "main/first thought/justification" on why to start them, always go with the army you say to yourself "oh such cool models". They are after all what you have to buy, assemble, paint, move and look at every time.

Id say this is the stronger case for a starting army as well. Once you get into everything and start a second army to me thats when you go into far greater depth, as you still can play your original army.

After seeing the conversion kits from Forgeworld for Death Guard. . . well I have to say these are winning over the amazing Trygon models. :skull:

Plague.Monk
19-02-2010, 21:44
One last little push before I go out tonight and get my codex.

Also, is there any way to order some of the Forgeworld sets through an American vendor of some sort?

Tymell
19-02-2010, 21:51
Whichever appeals to you most.

A cop-out answer, I know, but I really feel it's the only sensible answer I can give with these questions. Everyone will have their own reasons for collecting an army, and no one else can tell you which is best. I pick armies purely based on their personal appeal to me, so any opinion I give wouldn't be based on anything objective like game effectiveness, but on that personal taste. Which is just that: personal.

Good luck, whichever you go for :)