PDA

View Full Version : What to arm my Warlord titan with?

cuda1179
18-02-2010, 21:59
My wife demanded I tidy-up my hobby room. While organizing random pieces of platicard and other bits ideas started clicking in my mind. After looking at a pile of parts I decided I was bored enough to make a Mk II Warlord Titan.
Anyway, For arms he will have Gatling Blasters, but I am stuck on what to arm his carapace with. I have narrowed the choices to Vortex missiles, Turbo Lasers, or Appocolypse missile launcher.
I am going for a "good" looking model as well as one that has a good tabletop role. I like the Apoc. Missile launcher, but it just seems wrong to have a titan without at least one D-strength weapon.

Opinions?

Bodysnatcher
18-02-2010, 22:04
I think that as you've gone symmetrical at the bottom you should go symmetrical at the top. Turbo lasers would work best for this.

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 22:50
Gatling blasters aren't a very good choice for a warlord. There are lots of better configs to give him than turbolasers and gatling blasters.

cuda1179
18-02-2010, 22:56
What do you suggest for the arms then? I chose the Gatling blasters as I have a lot of tubing lying around, my other Warlord all ready has Laser Blasters, and Plasma Destructors are too complicated for an "easy" build.

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 23:04
Volcano cannons and quake cannons would be just as easy, if not easier to build and are better choices. Depending on how you choose to configure them, you could go with either Turbolasers or missiles on the shoulders.

bigcheese76
18-02-2010, 23:46
I think the Apocalypse Missile Launcher looks good on the carapace, and its rules are pretty good too.

Heretic'sPaintbrush
18-02-2010, 23:59
Stay true to the faction you're going to be using it with; i.e. Guard, Daemonhunters, etc. The Guard tends to "squash the acorn with a sledgehammer, while other armies have their own approach to decimating the enemy.
I'd also recommend reading Mechanicus and Titanicus for ideas. 40k History is good to draw from when scratchbuilding.
I've built two to date; one armed with a Nova Cannon and Titan Power Fist, while the other is armed with a Gatling Blaster and a Titan Chain Sword.

Pictures upon request.

Noserenda
19-02-2010, 02:22
How can anyone say no to the vortex missile? :evilgrin:

neko
19-02-2010, 02:41
I would be seriously tempted by 2 vortex missiles to be honest. I've been out of the game for a little while, so I only know them from back in epic in the early 90s, but I can imagine 2 of them being fear inspiring ;)

MajorWesJanson
19-02-2010, 03:07
I'd go with the traditional loadout. Volcano Cannon, Gattling Blaster, twin Turbolasers on the Carapace.

Culven
19-02-2010, 03:15
How can anyone say no to the vortex missile? :evilgrin:
:eek: I know. What is better than sections of the battlefield disappearing. :evilgrin:

Drakon
19-02-2010, 03:24
wondering with the vortex missile does it act like the vortex grenade where it keeps bouncing around the battlefield each turn?

Lord of Worms
19-02-2010, 03:37
No, it's just a big pie plate of insta-death.

Culven
19-02-2010, 04:26
Yeah, it doesn't bounce, but it does make a bigger splat.

wolf40k
19-02-2010, 04:40
Yeah, it doesn't bounce, but it does make a bigger splat.

Bigger splats are always a good tactical choice:D

Tethylis
19-02-2010, 04:50
If it's cool looking weapons you are going for then it has to be vortex & apoc missile launchers

Jackmojo
19-02-2010, 04:53
The best play configuration (by which I mean most overpowered:) ) is probably Arm Laser Blasters and Carapace Laser Destructos for 10 5inch Str D shots at 96 inches every turn....everything dies, obliterate hordes in chunks measured in square feet, and concentrated fire from its guns can down essentially anything, including other Titans and Gargantuan Creatures.

For looks I'd be more inclined towards 4 different weapons though: Titan CCW (either power fist or chain), Gatling blaster or macro cannon on the other arm, Carapace Volcano cannon and Plasma Destructor (although I also have a fond spot for the Missile Launcher).

That's my take on it.

Jack

Eldoriath
19-02-2010, 06:43
I'd totally go for vortex missiles if I built a warlord, so I'll vote for vortex support missiles =)

MajorWesJanson
19-02-2010, 07:10
The best play configuration (by which I mean most overpowered:) ) is probably Arm Laser Blasters and Carapace Laser Destructos for 10 5inch Str D shots at 96 inches every turn....everything dies, obliterate hordes in chunks measured in square feet, and concentrated fire from its guns can down essentially anything, including other Titans and Gargantuan Creatures.

For looks I'd be more inclined towards 4 different weapons though: Titan CCW (either power fist or chain), Gatling blaster or macro cannon on the other arm, Carapace Volcano cannon and Plasma Destructor (although I also have a fond spot for the Missile Launcher).

That's my take on it.

Jack

Titan CCWs tempt you to take it into close combat. And take away a useful gun option. Volcano Cannon in not a carapace option, but it is a nice arm mount to give it long range.

Imperial titans are only good at killing other Imperial superheavies. Gargantuan critters and even Stompas will tear it up in Close combat.

Jackmojo
19-02-2010, 08:26
Titan CCWs tempt you to take it into close combat. And take away a useful gun option. Volcano Cannon in not a carapace option, but it is a nice arm mount to give it long range.

Imperial titans are only good at killing other Imperial superheavies. Gargantuan critters and even Stompas will tear it up in Close combat.

Oh yeah, I agree with your game logic (and totally hosed up what weapons could go where for looks when I was AFB posting earlier), hence why I suggested what I did for the best in-game choice (Dual Laser Blasters Arms, and Dual Double Barreled Turbo Laser Carapace), but a well done Powerfist looks bloody brilliant on the model.

Ten Str D shots can pound most Gargantuan creatures and superheavies just fine though (unless your nuts and let the Tyranids use the new Warp Field rules without any change in point costs).

But titan strategy is a whole different topic...

Jack

Gandair
19-02-2010, 08:51
I'm a big fan of the "all of them" option. Generally I'm not into magnetizing and build my tanks/carnifex how they'll be forever. If I was making a titan though, I'd have every weapon option built or bought and a lot of screws/magnets to change them out. If you can't decide, and have enough material then do it all.

It's good to have it all.

Drakon
26-02-2010, 06:52
agree magnatise and do it all thats what im doing with my reaver