PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer software to army books?

willowdark
19-02-2010, 03:25
Or rather, maybe GW could still publish ABs, full of artwork, fluff, the Bestiary and the model collecting section, but the actual rules and army lists are given on disc, which could be installed and easily updated with Errata, points adjustments and "official" FAQ rulings.

Not just the rules, software could include in it programs to customize army rosters, so you could possibly design and print out your personal book for your army, complete with various lists that you've written with notes on strategies and special rules that you'd want to keep track of. You could self publish fluff for your army and include it, and each race specific army book could come with plenty of clip-art style artwork that could be worked into the margins and boarders.

So this new kind of army book would not only be capable of receiving regular updates, which I'd say would be the best way to maintain army balances, but could provide an interactive studio to enhance the experience of customizing your army.

I've always been skeptical of electronic updates to ABs, because the books themselves are so static and final once printed, and I've never like the idea of the book I payed for becoming outdated or irrelevant. But with this format, there'd be no danger, since only the stuff in the software would be subject to regular changes, while the soft material remains intact.

It seems like a really great way to handle the AB system. What would you think?

Ivellis
19-02-2010, 03:37
Did you just hear about Exillis? ;)

bnrweimann
19-02-2010, 03:47
Not sure I'm keen on GW doing a software army generator. They published two for 40k several years ago. One contained Imperial Armies, the other non-Imperial. The software was fairly buggy and not very user friendly. And updates to the army lists were very slow (if ever) when new books came out.

Given the previous track record my votes is no...

willowdark
19-02-2010, 03:48
Huh. I guess my question should be posed with the caveat that the software would be done well. :)

Assuming so, how then would you feel about it?

xragg
19-02-2010, 03:56
Table top games and computer games should be kept seperate as their appeal is seperate. When you start introducing computers to a table top game, why not just play a computer game? Why even involve the table top aspect? I also dont see how electronic army books could work without people abusing them.

bnrweimann
19-02-2010, 04:01
If truly done well, why not. I just tend to not have a lot of faith in it, considering the past and GW's continued ability to release badly thought out rules in army books, then take forever to create a simple PDF FAQ from a Word document...

I would ask if you envision each codex being released in software with it's own embedded generator for that army, or if you are thinking a single army generator like Army Builder.

The first might even find some favor at GW, since that's potential to charge some extra cash for each Army Book. I'm fairly convinced that GW didn't support the 40K builders well because once they were built, players didn't really need to buy the codex for an Army because you could build them from the software without the book.

Maybe if they distributed an army generator on CD with the book, restricting it to only being able to build that particular races armies it could be cool.

willowdark
19-02-2010, 04:04
The Army Book would be purchased as usual, for each race individually, and the software would be included in a sleeve in the back, with the appropriate army info, unit profiles and upgrades, as well as special rules.

bnrweimann
19-02-2010, 04:04
Xragg, good points, but plenty of people already abuse the paper books. And about half my local group show up with a laptop to work on army lists. And each of them owns their appropriate codex AND the Army Builder software they are using. Using a computer as a tool to ease some of book-keeping/planning associated with wargaming is different from playing the game on the computer.

snurl
19-02-2010, 05:17
I say no. I don't want to mess around with a computer at a game.
I like having my book handy.

Gwyddyon
19-02-2010, 05:30
I'd definitely be interested in (official) electronic copies of the rules. Most of my gaming group uses PDF scans anyway - it'd be nice to have an official, OCR'd copy of the main rulebook without having to do it myself. Why flip through pages searching for a single sentence when you can just enter a search term?

Necromancy Black
19-02-2010, 06:05
Electronic copies will not happen. GW is in the business of money and have enough common sense to realise (unlike most game companies) that software is never secure and will be cracked and distributed illegally.

Secondly while electronic copies will be handy, reading them is the problem. A laptop is too bulky for use around most gaming tables. If you could your hands on a good tablet it'll definitely be worth it, especially if there is in built searching and bookmarks in the software. Phones are starting to get to this point, but aren't as open with what software can go on them and I can't see GW working with apple.
But seriously, the biggest hurdle is the hardware. It's not as convenient as the books are to have on hand. No matter how good the software was (and it has to be good) you need decent hardware as well to game with.

Finally while some of the appeal is definitely separate, your kidding yourself if think there isn't a ton of areas of interest that overlap between computer game sand table top games. This doesn't apply to everything but there is certainly enough overlap.

Jack of Blades
19-02-2010, 06:13
Electronic copies will not happen. GW is in the business of money and have enough common sense to realise (unlike most game companies) that software is never secure and will be cracked and distributed illegally.

They already are scanned and distributed illegally, it's just a matter of time before the new Beastmen & Lizardmen are put up... :shifty: ;)

As for me I like them in the book format more because it just feels better. But if software would let them update the books more often, something which I doubt due to GWs (in)ability to put up good FAQs anywhere near a decent time period, then I'd be all for it.

Necromancy Black
19-02-2010, 06:33
Yes, but the quality of the scans is rarely top stuff. With software you'll have the full complete package, in top quality as well, already in electronic format. Just crack and distribute.

What would be a lot better for GW is to created their own version of army builder software and include the software for each new army as part of the book.

tarrym
19-02-2010, 07:35
Personally I prefer the army books.

Although having said that my job is Java developer. And I do have my own plans to start writing an army list builder style tool sometime later this year. But for now I just use some custom spreadsheets which don't do any kind of checking that I haven't taken 2 arcane items etc.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 07:46
Eventually, thin light Tablets/eBook readers with be commonplace, possibly even ones that will bend and have great battery life.

But GW won't be creating official software any where in the near future.

Necromancy Black
19-02-2010, 07:58
Although having said that my job is Java developer.

And that's why you prefer the books :p

hwd
19-02-2010, 09:28
Give me a book over a computer any day of the week. This rule applies to everything not just to my hobbies. Is it just me that finds it difficult to read stuff off a computer screen?

I spend my day at work working on computers and even there I print almost every document I need to read thorugh. By the time I get home I really don't want to stare into a light anymore, my eyes have had enough.

Another, and possibly more imortant thing, is that I can read an army book and think about new units and combos while taking a dump. There is no way I'm gonna sit on the john with my lap top...

Glabro
19-02-2010, 10:49
They already are scanned and distributed illegally, it's just a matter of time before the new Beastmen & Lizardmen are put up...

Yes indeed....those shiny new lizarmen are sure to be put up any day now...

Another, and possibly more imortant thing, is that I can read an army book and think about new units and combos while taking a dump. There is no way I'm gonna sit on the john with my lap top...

That's just gross. I don't think I need to go into detail why. Or then some people just have bowels as slow as Molasses.

In any case, I suppose books have a certain undeniable "premium" element to them, but I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it compared to an electronic product.

The problem with printed books is of course that they make updating the rules slow as heck, but then again that's the business model of GW.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
19-02-2010, 10:58
GW aren't stupid, right? If they changed to Electronical AB's people would download them illegaly, and they would lose all income from selling AB's...

Farnsworth
19-02-2010, 10:59

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Warhammer Armies Skaven is currently getting read in 10 minute chunks at half seven in the morning.

Urgat
19-02-2010, 11:18
The Army Book would be purchased as usual, for each race individually, and the software would be included in a sleeve in the back, with the appropriate army info, unit profiles and upgrades, as well as special rules.

If it's like that, as a complement to the normal book, of course, yeah, would be cool. If it's one or the other, no, because I can see the pbs with the guy who only owns the CD version, you play where there's no computer, and you can only trust ihis good word for not playing around with the rules.
Yeah I know, I don't have much trust in humanity.

GW aren't stupid, right? If they changed to Electronical AB's people would download them illegaly, and they would lose all income from selling AB's...

Like you can't already find any single publication from GW as a pdf on the web... I trust people who play a hobby like warhammer would at least buy their own armybook. Because it's a hobby, not some lame artist you'll listen to 5 times, figure out you don't like it and drop the MP3 folder in the trashbin...

Anyway, I don't really see GW doing that. I don't really see the point. For them, I mean.

bigcheese76
19-02-2010, 11:39
No thanks to the disk, I just like having my army book in my hand. Computers are all very well and good, but there is just something better about holding your new codex or army book, rather than navigating around it with a mouse.

Poseidal
19-02-2010, 11:53
With a computer, I can fire up a list with any old spreadsheet and print that off when needed; I don't always get that option so I like having a book and piece of paper to make changes (especially if when I reach the game and we change the points value we're playing).

I think a smartphone application might be more useful than a computer one, since it's more portable.

Leogun_91
19-02-2010, 11:58
Nononono.....I would rather play four times as much for the armybook than have it electrnic. I dissaprove 100% of this idea until paper and gold have the same price.

Bloodknight
19-02-2010, 12:00
Give me a book over a computer any day of the week. This rule applies to everything not just to my hobbies. Is it just me that finds it difficult to read stuff off a computer screen?

I find it difficult to read stuff that I have to concentrate on on the screen, and it's pretty unconvincing when trying to read in bed or on the crapper. ;).

@Glabro: hey, it's one of the joys of being a man.

Lord Malorne
19-02-2010, 12:14
OP:No way, I would hate my army rules to be done in this way. The updates are of course good, but there are so many problems with this, which I am sure have been listed, like computer access, needing to get updates, tampering, wanting/needing hand copies for reference, not wanting to print lists off (I could have printed pdf's of army books now, but I hate it and the existence of those pdf's).

There are many ways to correct this and possibly make it work, but for now and the next decade at least I would say, army books will be the way.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 12:46
I'm going to predict it will happen in five years.

spikedog
19-02-2010, 13:09
I would love this to be an option but not the only one. I do like having a book to hand when playing because I am not always near a computer however I also very much like the idea of having a reduced cost online version where I can read the books for races I don't play in order to see the rules and units I may be facing.

Electronic distribution is the way of the future so this is only a matter of time really however we may have to wait for the Star Trek Pad (http://www.seanpercival.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/padd1.gif) before the mainstream people are willing to take the format seriously.

Charax
19-02-2010, 13:21
Firstly, where on earth do people get this insane notion that software-based army books would somehow incinerate the physical versions? the OP's idea is to have them included with the physical copy. You want your hardcopy? you can have it! All it takes to eliminate this insane knee-jerk "Ah Liek Mah Books" response is, somewhat ironically, a bit of reading:

All clear on that? your physical books aren't going to miraculously self-combust just because they're available in another format.

Having said that, I don't want to see GW go the software route, for a number of reasons:

- It'll drive up costs of the books.
because, let's face it, this is GW, they'll take any excuse they can get to raise prices.
- It won't be platform-neutral.
Their last Army Builder wasn't, and I highly doubt GW have any software developers on hand that can be bothered to make software which works on anything other than Windows.
- Auto-updating content
The whole Kindle/1984 thing comes to mind.

No, I don't want any more proprietary GW software, thank you. I'd rather they sold PDF rules-only versions of their armybooks/codices at reduced cost in the online store a month after the hardcopy release. Why?

PDFs are universal
Every major operating system and most mobile devices can read PDFs with no trouble at all.
Zero Piracy
Within a month of release the hardcopies will be scanned and put online anyway. Why would someone then bother to pirate an inferior rules-only copy that came out a month later?
Proven user interest
There are hundreds of thousands of gamers out there who pirate PDF copies of books even though they have several tangible disadvantages over the hardcopies. If even a small percentage of those buy the legitimate versions instead, the venture will have paid for itself, because:
Easy to produce
GW publications are in PDF form at some stage during the production process anyway. All it would take to produce a commercial-grade PDF at that point is a few mouse clicks, or very slightly longer if you were to strip out all the background. Compare this to the cost of software development.

Tymell
19-02-2010, 13:35
Software as an addition to the army books? Sure, that'd be a nice feature. But in place of? Nah, not for me. I like the books, there's something satisfying about it, and it's much handier for in-game reference.

Famder
19-02-2010, 13:43
I would like an eBook copy of my army books for purchase. Being visually impaired, it is difficult for me to read the text in print, so having a method of reading electronically which is legally supported would be nice. I still prefer having the army book for reference during a game so I would end up buying two copies of the same product really. But I know I am the exception and they won't cater to it.

xragg
19-02-2010, 14:12
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Warhammer Armies Skaven is currently getting read in 10 minute chunks at half seven in the morning.

The toilet is where I usually read all the fluff of my ABs.

willowdark
19-02-2010, 14:16
I'm going to say this again, just to be clear. The Army Book is purchased as usual, complete with artwork, fluff, the Bestiary and the army collectors section, just like now. However, in lieu of a written army list section the book contains all that information in a disc in a sleeve in the back.

The software would also include an application to customize an army roster that you'd print out, possibly have spiral bound or kept in a folder to take with you to games.

A lot of people come to my LGS already with army builder/spread sheet rosters for their armies, complete with notes on their lists and its synergies and special rules. But with GW official software, which they'd want to market, there could be artwork and margin and boarder designs to increase the customization of you army roster, which you print out.

I never visualized players bringing laptops to the table.

Although, aside from the points I just addressed, a lot of good reservations have been presented. But for me, I can't help but think that if everyone who bought a copy of the DE book suddenly received an update saying that the Hydra was now 225 pts, and everyone's rulebook received an update that made M&H not move as skirmishers, the game would benefit and the community would have less reason to complain.

And would pirated copies be capable of receiving these updates? That of course is the primary reason for the switch, and if not would make pirated copies considerably less valuable than the purchased copy.

Gwyddyon
19-02-2010, 15:34
I don't really understand the complaints about "access" and bulky computers. If you only have a desktop, just print out the important pages (assuming a PDF, which is the only sane way to make e-Army Books). If you've got a laptop, unless you're running a 1998 Gateway brick, I don't really see how carrying a laptop (or better yet, netbook) to a game is really a burden given that you're already carrying miniatures, dice, and at least two books - heck, the core rules are nearly as big as my computer. The tradeoff is that I get access to all my army books, including unofficial books like Araby and Tilea, and whatever pre-formatted army lists I've put together, plus (assuming WiFi is available where you game) access to online FAQs and rules clarifications.

Yeah, piracy might be a problem. But it's a problem right now, anyway - take a look at any torrent search engine and type in "warhammer books".

wizbix
19-02-2010, 15:49
I can not read my software on the toilet as I can my army book! ;)

General Squeek Squeek
19-02-2010, 16:01
I like the idea personally. Especially if the software made printing the appropriate pages easy and displayed them in a easy to access manner. Then again I'm for anything that'd allow GW to constantly update their books when they realize some rules had an oversight.

Desert Rain
19-02-2010, 16:06
I don't want to be forced into using my computer when I make my army lists. I prefer that everything is in a book, but I can see the advantage of including some software as well. Sounds a bit like the D&D insider thing that WotC did when they released D&D4.

Leogun_91
19-02-2010, 17:42
I'm going to say this again, just to be clear. The Army Book is purchased as usual, complete with artwork, fluff, the Bestiary and the army collectors section, just like now. However, in lieu of a written army list section the book contains all that information in a disc in a sleeve in the back.I want rules at paper somewhere in the book or in a separate booklet, which of the two matters little but I don't want to need to use a computer for this game. One of the good things with Warhammer is that I don't rely on technology more advanced than a lightbulb and therby minimizing the chances that something goes wrong. The day my collected set of warhammer rules are wiped by a virus is a grim one.

I would like to change their armybooks to proper hardback however, the cost is worth it for me.

Razakel
19-02-2010, 17:49
If it was in addition to the Army Book then yes, otherwise no. There's just something "better" about having the rules on paper in front of you.

Tymell
19-02-2010, 18:01
I would like to change their armybooks to proper hardback however, the cost is worth it for me.

I wouldn't go for that myself, given how often they come out with new ones. I already find it highly annoying having to buy a new army book every 4 years or so, without having to shell out double the price just for a hard back of something that will again be obsolete in a few years.

N810
19-02-2010, 18:01

What?
Don't you realize that there are allready pdfs of every armybook allready out there?

And yea Army Bulider is an excelent piece of software,
too bad their licenceing is bizare and sadistic...

xragg
19-02-2010, 18:54
Of course there are pdf's and copies out there now, but if GW does an electric version, its like leaving the windows rolled down and keys in the ignition. Sure, your car is getting stolen either way, but I look really stupid the one way.

Assuming some magical way the piracy could be kept the same, the prices the same, and a physcial AB still existed, I would be for some sort of e-book. Thats alot of "if"s.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 19:11
No one wants to take along a clunky laptop, whether to the tabletop or the loo; however, it's just a matter of time before you'll have a gadget that would make that not only practical, but desirable.

Empire - Ulric
19-02-2010, 19:21
No one wants to take along a clunky laptop, whether to the tabletop or the loo; however, it's just a matter of time before you'll have a gadget that would make that not only practical, but desirable.

It's already been made and it's called a netbook.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 19:39
I was thinking more in line of a flexible touchscreen Slate with OLED and a 28nm CPU.

Leogun_91
19-02-2010, 20:10
Until they are able to give me a chaos fammiliar or servoskull I prefer the armybooks over the techno options.

Souppilgrim
19-02-2010, 22:16
Why is the theoretical model that the OP posited assumed to require a laptop at the game?

Yes I want an electronic army builder (already use one). Yes I want GW to update it with fixes and balances. Yes I want to be able to print out my list before the game, and yes I want a special rules summary sheet that comes with it.

enyoss
19-02-2010, 23:02
I'd take the book any day.

I gatecrash undergraduate classes at work and am shocked to see that technology-savvy students regularly struggle to keep up, as their `copy' of the book only exists on their laptop (which they don't have, or which is incredibly cumbersome) or is being squinted at through a 3"x2" mobile phone screen. Us oldies then have to share our hardcopy books :rolleyes:. If GW went computer based with it's Army Books I can see a similar fate befalling Warhammer.

Also, I think the physical aspect is a huge part of the hobby and, as xragg says, having the books reinforces the distinction between a tabletop game and a computer game.

Condottiere
20-02-2010, 00:15
But if the gadget were light and A4 size, you can carry it without problem and without having to squint.

enyoss
20-02-2010, 00:21
But if the gadget were light and A4 size, you can carry it without problem and without having to squint.

A bit like a book, you mean ;). And books never run out of batteries halfway through a game, which, on a similar note, is why I went back to making army lists with pen and paper instead of in a spreadsheet.

icecoolio
20-02-2010, 04:40
I perfer a hard copy of armybook for the army I collect! Handy is better!!

Condottiere
20-02-2010, 06:36
A bit like a book, you mean ;). And books never run out of batteries halfway through a game, which, on a similar note, is why I went back to making army lists with pen and paper instead of in a spreadsheet.Battery life improves, through both being able to squeeze more out of it and lower power consumption of the other components.

Souppilgrim
20-02-2010, 09:43
Also, I think the physical aspect is a huge part of the hobby and, as xragg says, having the books reinforces the distinction between a tabletop game and a computer game.

I don't really know if that distinction needs reinforcing. I mean the tabletop game has physical components, a computer game is made up of lights and sounds.

During a game there is only 1.5 pages worth of material from the army book that I ever use, at most.

wizbix
20-02-2010, 15:09
If were gonna have online army book sthen why not just go one better and just play the game on the PC?

willowdark
20-02-2010, 15:15
This is just getting silly.

You already play Warhammer instead (or at least in addition to) video games for the table top gaming experience - for the modeling, building and painting of both your armies and of terrain. How will using a software recourse suddenly make that experience meaningless and drive to just play video games?

enyoss
20-02-2010, 18:46
How will using a software recourse suddenly make that experience meaningless and drive to just play video games?

I don't recall saying that electronic copies of Army Books would make the table-top experience meaningless, but there are lots of other practical factors as well, as I've mentioned above. Really, I think including a CD-ROM with the hard copy of the book wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, although I doubt I would ever end up using it.

GodlessM
20-02-2010, 18:48
Yea they should make this software, and they should call it Army Builder...

Ayliffe
21-02-2010, 04:10
They already are scanned and distributed illegally, it's just a matter of time before the new Beastmen & Lizardmen are put up... :shifty: ;)

They already are, so is skaven :P

Stegadeth
21-02-2010, 04:43
Would I prefer Software to Army Books? No.

Would I like software in addition to Army Lists? I use Army Builder. I can't afford every Army Book. I learn what I can from Army Builder about potential enemies. Not the greatest method, but it works.

If GW put out a disc with my Army Book that let me build lists for my own Army, I might drop Army Builder. However, given GW's history about correcting problems in a timely manner I suspect any program they put out would be pretty out of date.

willowdark
21-02-2010, 05:16
Yea they should make this software, and they should call it Army Builder...

Army Builder doesn't get repeated official updated from GW, adjusting point values and refining special rules, which is the primary reason for suggesting this.

I'll say it again. What if 6 months after the release of the DE Book, everyone who owned a copy received an updated changing the cost of the Hydra to 225 pts, and everyone's BRB received an updated fixing the M&H rules? Wouldn't that make for a better game, and absolve the community from the need to constantly whine about imbalance.

Regular updates is how you maintain balance, but PDF updates that render the AB obsolete aren't a better solution. So why not a Hybrid system capable of growing and changing? A living document.

Tymell
21-02-2010, 10:03
Army Builder doesn't get repeated official updated from GW, adjusting point values and refining special rules, which is the primary reason for suggesting this.

I'll say it again. What if 6 months after the release of the DE Book, everyone who owned a copy received an updated changing the cost of the Hydra to 225 pts, and everyone's BRB received an updated fixing the M&H rules? Wouldn't that make for a better game, and absolve the community from the need to constantly whine about imbalance.

Regular updates is how you maintain balance, but PDF updates that render the AB obsolete aren't a better solution. So why not a Hybrid system capable of growing and changing? A living document.

It's a solid idea, the only issue I could see is it would probably require the commitment of a whole new team of designers to continually monitoring and updating and so on.

Condottiere
21-02-2010, 10:27
All it requires is a consensus that there is a problem, and what form the fix will take.

Then have someone program the solution into the next update.

Tymell
21-02-2010, 10:54
That isn't necessarily as simple as it sounds though.

Consensus on a problem alone can be tricky, things might appear more clear-cut on warseer than in the Warhammer community as a whole.

And the fix itself would be even more difficult to pin down.

skullkandy
26-02-2010, 17:07
yes because software can be updated when they release rules without a single test game or proofread rather than having 3 years of horribly broken rules while waiting for the next rushed book that will have the same problems. Also when a new edition comes out and the first two or three armies to follow it work really well because they were made for that edition and the rest have rules that don't work anymore but you still have to pay the point cost for them as it's included in the units cost.

But unfortunately GW has shown that they are just as inept at writting correct code for software as they are at writing correct rules.

*disclaimer this is from experience with 40k, not fantasy.

skullkandy
26-02-2010, 17:08
It's a solid idea, the only issue I could see is it would probably require the commitment of a whole new team of designers to continually monitoring and updating and so on.

you mean they'll actually have to spend the money they make on employees who work daily instead of pulling some random hobo off the street one day every couple months to write an army book.

Bac5665
26-02-2010, 18:04
I would happily pay a monthly or yearly subscription for such a service and I am convinced that WHFB would be much better off if GW had a software platform from which to update rules, give "patches" etc.

Tymell
26-02-2010, 18:10
you mean they'll actually have to spend the money they make on employees who work daily instead of pulling some random hobo off the street one day every couple months to write an army book.

There are plenty of points of the army books/codexes I'm not entirely satisfied with either, but it's a bit much to refer to the people who've put the work into those books as "random hobo"s.

Spinocus
26-02-2010, 18:52
I like both, software for when I'm on the computer or need to print out select sheets and a book for when I'm reading at leisure or at the gaming table. However moving the rules to a software based format will not guarantee more frequent FAQ updates or updates rules. In fact I believe it will only provide GW with another excuse to charge us extra for this lovely 'electronic value content' or some such crap. What's worse is providing a subscription based service will seriously drive up the costs of this hobby. So say $50 for a rulebook, $25 for a codex and say, $5-10 month for an active online subscription? Warhammer is not like a mmo where you can make the most out of your $15/month by playing until your hands are crippled and your eyes bleed. The average Warhammer gamer maybe plays a few games a month, try convincing those people to pay a monthly fee for such an infrequent hobby simply won't work. It will cost GW dearly in terms of revenue and create the inevitable spike in demand for pirated GW software and rules.

Considering the Army books are about as cheaply produced and outrageously profitable as they come (made in China, I'm guessing manufactured for less than $1/book with bulk shipping adding only pennies per book) there is simply no excuse why GW cannot halt production of '1.0' books and release revised editions periodically with updated rules & FAQs. When it comes down to it we all know it's not a question of whether GW can do this but whether they even want to. After several years of the same old routine the answer is painfully obvious...

Grey Mage
26-02-2010, 22:00
*shrugs*

Bump the price of all army books by $5 USD, 3 GBP, etc.

Each book now has a code on it- this code can be punched into your account *wich can be made with a free email anywhere* wich in turn gives you access to continual updates for your army. Each code is usable once, and works until the next army book comes out for that army.

These updates are fully printable- TOs can then request that all players bring a copy of the relevant document to the event, so even if they dont have access to the relevant book theyll have the updated point values/faq/erratta at their fingertips.

The service also comes with a fully scalable WFB army builder, wich can be used to create and print off full fledge army lists, in one of three styles, directly from the website as official lists.

Wich in turn increases the value of the GW website by further increasing their traffic rate.

Gork or Possibly Mork
26-02-2010, 22:36
Didn't GW have an army builder program at one time. Forget the name but from what I remember they did and everyone I saw post about it said it was a piece of garbage and a total waste of money. This was years ago though but I think GW should stick to doing physical books and stay away from software development.

Unless they can build something better than Lone Wolf Developments Armybuilder don't even bother but still I wouldn't want to see the armybooks gone completely and replaced entirely with software. As a stand alone supplement sure why not but I'd rather the physical books to stay so you have the option.

I don't like to shop online if I don't have to and I would refuse to if it was the only option. Mainly because I prefer to support my local gaming store.

Not to mention I don't feel like hauling my laptop off to every game and I wouldn't feel like printing a whole book to take either when I can just buy one and be done.

Logan_uc
28-02-2010, 02:50
No, taking the laptop to the bath room isnt convenient, so Army books now and forever.