PDA

View Full Version : Why do you go to tournaments?

Avian
19-02-2010, 16:39
So, as I was realising that I probably won't get a chance to go to the next national tournament up here in the cold north (because of scheduling difficulties), I started thinking about why I wanted to go in the first place. Is it because I want fun? Is it because I want boredom? I guess it's mostly because I think they are fun, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the matter as well. :)

Davo
19-02-2010, 16:46
Have never actually been to a tournament but have always like the idea of it. I guess the reason for that would be mostly to meet new gamers, have a laugh and to play many games of Warhammer (games aren't so easy to find for me). Not particularly bothered about the competitive side, sure I'd be pretty proud if I managed to win but wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I came last.

Stegadeth
19-02-2010, 17:07
Avian, I feel the options may be too minimalist. Some people surely go to have fun. Some go to win prizes. Some go to just hang out with some like-minded gamers. Some will go mostly to have fun and get in a few games and test their mettle against other gamers of (hopefully) high caliber. Some may go for money, prizes, lots of games, etc. And some may not go because it is too expensive to enter, etc. Just some quick thoughts.

Sygerrik
19-02-2010, 17:10
I barely ever go because my schedule is very difficult to work with. Usually when I go it's because I'm guaranteed to get a few games in... it's incredibly hard to find games around where I live.

Avian
19-02-2010, 17:12
I know it's a bit minimalist, but I figure it would be more illustrative this way and people won't have to consider if they are a 3.5 or a 4 on the "fun" scale, just if they do it more because it's a fun, social thing, or more because it's a dull chore they feel they have to do.
:)

Malorian
19-02-2010, 17:13
I go to tournaments to have games against people and armies I've never faced before, and thus have fun.

Ender Shadowkin
19-02-2010, 17:17
Hmm curious choices ;)

I go because I like the competition and opportunity to face off against some army types and or playing styles I don't normally see.

I also enjoy the challenges of playing in a sober environment, lol

Jack of Blades
19-02-2010, 17:18
I know it's a bit minimalist, but I figure it would be more illustrative this way and people won't have to consider if they are a 3.5 or a 4 on the "fun" scale, just if they do it more because it's a fun, social thing, or more because it's a dull chore they feel they have to do.
:)

You sir, don't have Ra for an avatar when a bird represents Tzeentch for nothing. In a mere poll and a post, you've informed me of two things: if ''neither'' was an option I wouldn't have cared to vote, but because it said that ''I vote here because I like to vote in polls'', I did... I don't know why, it's essentially the same option as neither, but I did. And I know I did. That's what makes it so mysterious.

Secondly, I now learned the value behind minimalist approaches on polls. At first I thought the same thing as Stegadeath, but then the ''fun'' or ''chore'' thing hit me when you explained it.

Awesome ;)

BigbyWolf
19-02-2010, 17:32
Tournaments are usually more of a challenge, which I enjoy, although coming up against the same list that someone has just cut-and-pasted of the internet can get a bit tiring...even more so if said general thinks that he's mint for coming up with the idea.

I haven't entered a fully competitive tourny since UK GT a few years ago (purely due to time-constraints), where I had the fun of running into two Karl Franz/ Dragon/ Knights/ Cannon/ Steamtanks lists in a row. Not that that's put me off, I'm looking forward to taking my Chaos along later this year.

Jind_Singh
19-02-2010, 17:57
I love gaming, I'm a gaming crack fiend! I play every week, normally between 2 to 3 games, and its awesome.

But you can't beat the atmosphere of a tournment! The games come to life, and theres extra sizzle as you roll the die as your part of something bigger - and the results count as opposed to being a normal tuesday night game.

You get introduced to new players, you see new armies, it helps raise my gaming levels as I'll actually concentrate on the entire game - all in all it's wicked!

It also gives me an excuse to use my Warhammer 25th annivers. bag to carry my die, templates, in, and I'll wear my Night Goblin Squig Hopper T-shirt that I got back in the 90's.

And then theres the winning aspect - it's great to see how your army does in the rankings, and round 3 is always tense as your hoping other good players are brought low while you rise to glory!

I love them!

Nuada
19-02-2010, 18:59
I never thought i'd ever go to a tournament, i was also put off by stories of competitive players arguing over rules. But i was plesantly surprised and i've attended two good tournaments with great games. It was interesting to see the VC and other strong army builds, i did okay and finished 3rd and 6th :) The result didn't matter, both fun days.

bork da basher
19-02-2010, 19:12
i go to tournies to play new games, to have a laugh and because im really quite competative at heart and like to test my mettle against other gamers of a high calibre. i find it a fantastic learning curve as everyone "brings it!" to a tourney so you can garentee seeing some awesome tactics and ideas you may not see at your club etc.

Gimp
19-02-2010, 19:14
There are not many people in my gaming group so most of our game are just against the same old people and same old armies.

I go to tournaments to play against new people and new armies and thus have fun. I always end up being in the high middle which means I aviod the power gamers.

Sadly me and my friends do often come up against each other in the tournamets we enter.

Ender Shadowkin
19-02-2010, 19:15
I never thought i'd ever go to a tournament, i was also put off by stories of competitive players arguing over rules. But i was plesantly surprised and i've attended two good tournaments with great games. It was interesting to see the VC and other strong army builds, i did okay and finished 3rd and 6th :) The result didn't matter, both fun days.

Yeah, the people that attend tournaments a lot tend to be really level headed nice guys.

If your not that way you stop having fun, and its a lot of time to spend on something that isn't fun. Plus getting bad sports scores really drags you down :D

burad
19-02-2010, 20:16
I'd much rather play in a campaign than a tournament. Tournaments are not a realistic measure of your tactical ability, since you usually have the best possible army within the points restrictions. Tournaments would be more interesting if you had to play with a list provided by the organizers.

fubukii
19-02-2010, 20:27
i go to have fun and place top 10%

Aurellis
19-02-2010, 21:40
I don't go to tournaments but i'm going to start going in the next year.

This is because I want to have a fun time and I like to meet new people.

I've also never played competitively before unless you count playing against your brother which always has a degree of competitiveness in it.

rtunian
19-02-2010, 22:14
for me tourney is for fun, to get some games in, show off my minis and look at other people's beautiful armies

Souppilgrim
19-02-2010, 22:19
I don't get the point of the poll. No one does something because they think it's going to bore them.

I go for the competition, which is fun.

Commodus Leitdorf
19-02-2010, 22:28
To see how good I am against a range of opponents and various armies up and down the power scale.

Also....sometimes I take lists that make people go ??? just to see how well I can do with them.

enyoss
19-02-2010, 22:35
more[/I] because it's a fun, social thing, or more because it's a dull chore they feel they have to do.

I'm perplexed. Do people really go to toy solider tournament because they think it's a dull chore they have to do? I've not looked at the results of the poll, but that sounds like one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. :D

I can see it to some extent. For example, I was a sprinter in my late teens, and was then captain of a university sports team, and I went to a ton of tournaments and had to do a load of other admin like stuff, and never really enjoyed any of it much.

Still, in a game of toy soldiers riddled with randomness? Truly baffled :confused:.

Lord Malorne
19-02-2010, 22:47
I have been to one proper tournie in my life and that was just a local thing (got me a free fortress of redemption out of it though), never really had the desire to go to a proper one.

TheBloodyHand
19-02-2010, 23:19
I go for the fun. Fun being the operative word. I only go to one (GT) a year, Crossroads in Upstate NY. Fun is seeing what other people have brought, I enjoy the paint more than the games. Which I guess is why I'm tryin to decide if I have enough fun, to justify spending $250+ for one weekend (that's a lot of models folks). The last two years the games (specifically a few opponents) were less than fun to play.

hmmm.....

Johnnyfrej
20-02-2010, 00:35
I stopped going a while ago. It just got to boring and repetitive playing the same cookie-cutter armies over and over again.

darker4308
20-02-2010, 00:41
The poll is a little crazy.

starlight
20-02-2010, 00:41
Large number of games in a short time-frame against people who (generally) know the rules and are (generally) there for the same reason. :)

Tlotsqi
20-02-2010, 01:20
I go in tournament because I love that.
I'm co-organizer of one of the bigger tournament in France, we created too a national tournament with regional teams inspired by the ETC.

And I did it because I encountered a lot friends, I can cross the country and find a place to sleep now because it's a formidable way to meet people, they share the same passion so we have at least A common thing.
French tournaments have a wide variety of rules, so you can play as you wish.
I can play against new opponents, that's why I still play Warhammer, and I have a good reason to travel across the country.

I think that I'm reaching a new level, because I begin to think about play in other countries, especially in the italian tournaments as I live close to the frontier and I speak italian. I'm already gone in Switzerland, and we usually meet swiss players as we are close to the Switzerland frontier too, but it's not the same thing:D.
So for me tournaments are the pleasure to meet people, with the pleasure to travel, and the pleasure to play Warhammer against new opponents.
The logical evolution is to go in foreign countries, and as I sometimes did 1600km in a week end to reach some places in France, it even seems more simple.

Agnar the Howler
20-02-2010, 01:44
I enter for fun and to see how I cope with a tournemant environment, plus to see how good my fellow players are with their chosen armies.

My first tournemant was the exact opposite. I lost to a cheat who cheated his way to the final but ultimately lost to a GK army, despite cheating then too.

My second tournemant was better. It did take a year for me to regain the courage to go back but i'm glad I did, as it was fun, and better yet I won with a clean sweep.

My third tournemant, however, reverted back to not fun, when I lost first time to a coached player who had obviously never touched their army at all and was getting talked through it all by a guy who even tried to cheat me out of my last chance of winning and called me a Rules Lawyer for arguing against the use of an item without alerting me to it's use. If you tell me that you're using it before you just go ahead and roll random dice and expect me to know what you're doing, then i'm more likely to accept it.

I have yet to attend a fourth tournemant (I missed my last one due to the lack of a doubles partner) but i'm hoping it goes the way of my second one fun-wise, with win-wise being a nice side thing.

Vsurma
20-02-2010, 09:31
A lot of people go to play new opponents outside their regular gaming group.

Others go for the challenge of playing against the toughest opponents and armies.

Some go for the prize (thought it often is little more than the cost of the tourny + travel and other expenses so I don't expect too many in this catagory)

The Red Scourge
20-02-2010, 09:43
To drink beer, shout obsenities and hopefully meet someone with the wits to beat me :p

Djekar
20-02-2010, 12:20
Methinks this poll may be more about something completely different than what you'd expect. I personally think Avian is performing a social experiment on the lot of us, seeing how many people will click "3".

Do I know why? Not a clue. Did my paranoia stop me from voting? Not in the least.

The reason I don't go? I am scared to be the "newb". I've only ever played in a tight group of friends so I don't want to be the guy who says "Wait, why can't I do X" and spend the whole time learning the "right" way to do things. That, and because deployment takes *forever* for me.

rtunian
20-02-2010, 13:48
The reason I don't go? I am scared to be the "newb". I've only ever played in a tight group of friends so I don't want to be the guy who says "Wait, why can't I do X" and spend the whole time learning the "right" way to do things. That, and because deployment takes *forever* for me.

take a deep breath and just sign up for one.

trust me, everyone was a noob once. some people are forever-noobs. the point is, don't let this keep you from trying. you might be surprised, alot of players have an affinity for noobs. noobs remind them of what it was to be a young impetuous gamer ;)

of course other people are impatient jerks who will huff and puff when you take time deploying or moving. but those people likely would have been jerks no matter if you were a noob or not, so...

Witchblade
20-02-2010, 14:55
Worst poll ever, lol.

Sir_Turalyon
20-02-2010, 15:40
Don't go anymore. I used to think I'm going to have fun games, stoped when I realised all I get is boring games. The 2nd answer is redundant.

vinny t
20-02-2010, 16:45
I like to go to tournements because I want to be able to play against different players and armies. I also feel that it helps me judge my army's power level so I cas ajust it accodingly.

Skitter-Squeek
20-02-2010, 17:45
I go for the competition, nothing like facing a fellow gamer who's tactics you don't know. Also I love seeing all of the armies people bring as they have to be painted and most people go all out with crazy display boards etc.

Skitter Squeek

Jind_Singh
20-02-2010, 18:06
I love them! Actually my biggest dilema is do I take Ogres or Goblins to the comming tourney end of this month (2500pts, North American round 1)

Avian
20-02-2010, 18:44
Methinks this poll may be more about something completely different than what you'd expect. I personally think Avian is performing a social experiment on the lot of us, seeing how many people will click "3".
Well, sort of.

I guess the thing I want to highlight is the age old "play for fun / play to win" thing, which I have always felt is a bit silly. In everyday language, winning isn't the opposite of fun and fun isn't the opposite of winning. I didn't want to just go out and say that, and I thought it would be more effective if people asked themselves the question. What I think the results neatly illustrate is that people who go to tournaments do so because they think it's fun, regardless of how much they want to win. Just about nobody goes because it's a dull drag and they'd much rather be doing other things.

This leads onto the question of "What is your fun?". I actually started thinking about this some time ago in a thread called something with math-hammer, where one person couldn't understand that other people found it fun to crunch numbers and compare different units that way. I tried to explain (and I'm not sure I did a very good job at it, but I tried) that different things were fun for different people.

And it's very difficult to nail do what would be fun for a large group in general. Every now and then someone asks which armies are fun to play with, and I wonder if there is some reasonably common denominator which could tell us if an army would be fun or not (I would think that for most people, variation would be fun, and for almost as many, something that has the potential for a very great effect is fun).

But I digress.

The point of the thread was to illustrate that when people do something on their free time, it is usually because they think it's fun. If they don't think it's fun, they don't do it. The second option is there to illustrate that and I wouldn't get the same effect if I just asked whether or not people went to tournaments, which is what the result is and which is interesting in and of itself.
And people get a chance to tell each other about why they go or don't go, which (if we are lucky) might cause some people to have a go at tournament play, or (if we are even more lucky) see organisers adapt their format a little to appeal more to the people who currently don't go, but who might.

Thank you for your time. :)

Coragus
21-02-2010, 03:05
None of the above. I haven't played very much at all in the last year and a half since moving two states away. If I didn't go to tourneys, I wouldn't get in but one or two games a year. I can go to one weekend tourney, leave the family behind for a couple nights, and play twice that or more in two days.

The SkaerKrow
21-02-2010, 03:15
To kill people and knick their stuff.

Oh, wait, wrong thread.

Lordsaradain
21-02-2010, 09:56
What a pointless poll. Who would go to a tournament to have a boring time? You can have that at home.

Avian
21-02-2010, 10:10
Read post #38, mate. ;)