PDA

View Full Version : Starship troopers as IG

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 18:37
Having recently watched the film "Starship Troopers" and the fact that the IG are appealing to me, i was wondering about doing a starship trooper themed IG army.

Basically just cadians with the PigIron heavy infantry heads.

But what should be IN the army? I was thinking Lord commisar, harderned veteran and infantry platoons and some valkeryie/vendetta support.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Lord Malorne
19-02-2010, 18:39
Sentinels as 'ape' marauder suits.

Or you could play the actual starship troopers game.

IcedAnimals
19-02-2010, 18:39
i dont recall ever seeing tanks in the movies. And I know they used quite a few aircraft so your current scheme seems pretty solid.

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 18:41

Theres a starship troopers tabletop game?! =0

TO GOOGLE! <theme music>

All my freinds play 40k, so id rather do 40k to be honest

velkore1134
19-02-2010, 18:43
You are now only allowed to play against black and yellow schemed tyranids

angelkorpse
19-02-2010, 18:44
ok this is gonna be silly as hell but its good..u need an Inquisitor name Carl!!!

well u can go 2 ways. keep the theme of the movie as in no vehicles and really no support heavy weapons either or add heavy bolters to guardsmen squads.
but anywho good luck with it and post pics, Id love to see it after its done

eew anything from SST 2 or 3 isnt worth the time imo. stick to the first film

Lord Malorne
Velkor1134: There are more arachnid colours than that, even in the film.

angelkorpse: The 'starship troopers universe' has a lot of stuff, I wonder how many of you even know about skinnies...

Keeperofthepies
Use the APE suit models as Ogryns or Sentinels.

Aircraft are good, and flame throwers.

N810
19-02-2010, 18:50
Heres a link...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15435/starship-troopers-miniatures-game
too bad the game got discontinued... I heard it was quite good.

Ph4lanx
19-02-2010, 19:08
If you're going to do it, do it to the original book by Heinlein, where they aren't just cannon fodder. If you want inspiration, do a search on Youtube for "Roughneck Chronicles".

Deamon-forge
19-02-2010, 19:10
im using the Elysians as my ST troops. or i could just use my ST models iv got. sounds a good idea go for it!

lord_zyplon
19-02-2010, 19:15
Well, seeing as the average Mobile Infantryman was in Terminator armor, with a jump pack, armed with a pair of hand flamers, various guns, bombs and grenades, and had a tactical nuclear weapon, as well...

Yep, average Joe Imperial Guardsman fits that pretty well.

As far as the movie's MI are concerned, gray Guardsmen with converted autoguns would pretty much do the trick.

N810
19-02-2010, 19:44
Yea in the movie they realy should have been wearing something like this...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/332446/starship-troopers-miniatures-game
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/252587/starship-troopers-miniatures-game

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 19:45
Well, seeing as the average Mobile Infantryman was in Terminator armor, with a jump pack, armed with a pair of hand flamers, various guns, bombs and grenades, and had a tactical nuclear weapon, as well...

Yep, average Joe Imperial Guardsman fits that pretty well.

As far as the movie's MI are concerned, gray Guardsmen with converted autoguns would pretty much do the trick.

So what ARE the movie's MI?

N810
19-02-2010, 19:48
regular infantry :p

Deamon-forge
19-02-2010, 19:51

the movies MI in grey armour. was due to funds. as they wanted to do the suits like say a SM have but could not and had to opp for the lighter MI, in the SST game they have the normal MI which are in armour and then came the Movie MI. Read the book give a better understanding of the SST MI than the film. (when i mean book i mean the orginal) with the Cougar suit is a upgraded version of the normal suit. (with new weapons) if you watch the CGI SST it give you a better understanding of armour as its a little more to the book.

http://www.whypop.net/rich/images/starship_troopers.jpg one of the orginal conceps
http://www.thehibbitts.net/troy/images/starship.troopers.jpg proper suited troop

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
19-02-2010, 19:54

I don't know.
But certainly not what Heinlein described in his book.
Because in the book, they are:

Not to speak about hypno-endoctrinement for officers.
What Heinlein wrote is more akin to SM. Even they were called Mobile Infantryman, they got nothing in common with the IG.

The movie was fun, but a treason as far as Heinlein's book is concerned.

BigBossOgryn
19-02-2010, 19:56
The movie Mobile Infantry were the mass of conscript-like infantry backed up by loads of aircraft which your list sounds about right for anyway.

The novels/game MI were small, elite strike teams with horrid amounts of firepower.

If you wanted to strike a happy medium, then an IG army with a ton of guardsman allied to Witch Hunters so you can have, as someone mentioned earlier, Inquisitor Carl (genius :p) and those crazy Penitent Engine things as the Ape Suits.

N810
19-02-2010, 20:01
the chicken suits would make good imperial walkers....
(no pun intended)

borithan
19-02-2010, 20:07
If you're going to do it, do it to the original book by Heinlein, where they aren't just cannon fodder.If you did it by the book they would all be wearing battle suits or similar. They were powered suits with jump packs. Not IG in anyway what so ever... not even Space Marines really. Closest are probably the Tau battlesuits, but they may be too bulky, and they are certainly too inspired by Japanese styling to fit properly.

in the SST game they have the normal MI which are in armour and then came the Movie MI.Even the armoured MI don't do the book's MI justice. They are closest to the weird walker suits they produced as support units, and those that featured in the awful 3rd SST film (didn't see the 2nd, and while the first had nothing to do with the book, at least regarding the MI, it was amusing).

Rogzor87
19-02-2010, 20:08
Sentinels = Chickenhawks.. There are lots of different Infantry in the MI faction. I actually have some because Starship Troopers if my favorite movie ever.

They have Normal Gaurdsmen looking models as well as Terminator looking ones.

um. Inquisitor = Carl.

Get the Last Chancers and they can be the Roughnecks!

Yeah, they didn't really have tanks. they had Walkers and did have heavy fire power walking with them.

In the 2nd movie... (oh god why am i mentioning this horribleness) the one guy had a Minigun(Assault Cannon/Heavy Bolter) They have nukes(Missle launchers) they had planes(Valkry's) And I am fairly sure they did have tanks in the Roughneck series. I would have to rewatch it to let you know.

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 20:15
now ive heard they have armoured suits, im thinking taking some daemonhunter allies for the GK termies or something, maybe some count-as ogryns and a sentinal or two maybe. Idk, lol.

Rogzor87
19-02-2010, 20:24
Ape Suits = Dreadnoughts, They have Armored Infantry... Either Termies or Power Armor.

Thud
19-02-2010, 20:29
http://www.redstargames.net/STimages.html

snottlebocket
19-02-2010, 20:38
Don't worry too much about book vs movie. The movie is only very loosely based on the book. Both in style and tone. The book and the movie are very hard to reconcile considering they were created for completely different purposes. The movie is pure popcorn entertainment while the book is more an essay on the concept of military and civic duty than an action story.

If you like the movie feel free to do a guard army very much based on the movie infantry.

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 20:39
Yeah, the light infantry sound better IMO, and easier to represent in 40k

Col. Tartleton
19-02-2010, 20:43
Heinleins soldiers are Tau Battlesuits.

Mobile Infantry=Mobile Suits=Gundams=Tau... You following this?

They're big heavy duty air deployed jet pack assisted "Mobile Infantry." They fight "On the bounce" meaning they use big old leaps powered by jet pack. They're the cutting edge of Terran warriors. Their suits have micro nuke filled missile pods, heavy chainguns, and brutal flamers. Their powered servos give the suits the strength to smash through tank hard armor or ram through buildings with ease. You could still have movie type mobile infantry (you kind of need them running tau) modeled as Imperial Guard in valkyries or devilfish and fluff them as army personnel that the MIs are attached to.

Imperial Space Marines are based off them among a number of sources.

borithan
19-02-2010, 21:26
Chainguns? I don't remember any conventional guns like that being mentioned. Bomb racks, fire pellets, flamers, and the Pee-wee mini nuke, but never any chainguns.

Though I agree the closest functioning things in the game are the Tau battlesuits.

Project2501
19-02-2010, 21:52
I concur that Tau (in theory not appearance) best represent a blend of movie and book. Go truly bizzzare and mix'n'match both and even use the appropriate codex for each individual unit? Or did you want a legal army?

Eldartank
20-02-2010, 06:23
Having recently watched the film "Starship Troopers" and the fact that the IG are appealing to me, i was wondering about doing a starship trooper themed IG army.

But what should be IN the army? I was thinking Lord commisar, harderned veteran and infantry platoons and some valkeryie/vendetta support.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

You would want Stormtroopers as much as possible. The Starship Troopers in the movie were well-armed, well-trained, and well-armored, and Stormtroopers (or Veterans in carapace armor) would represent that best. And as many Valkyries/Vendettas as you can fit in, as the movie had plenty of air support.

the1stpip
20-02-2010, 14:52
I havent read the book (it is on my to do list) but the first film was great, and it did have a certain degree of dry humour and politics.

Problem is, unless I am mistaken, there is no real hard and fast designs from the book, while those from the film are instantly recognisable. The Cadians do look like MI, give them shoulder mounted Missile Launchers (and a loader) and you're away.

I would also want to see a Radchek (sp?) Commander with a Power Fist.

Rabid Bunny 666
20-02-2010, 16:35
Heres a link...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15435/starship-troopers-miniatures-game
too bad the game got discontinued... I heard it was quite good.

It was fun, Andy Chambers' set of rules was very interesting to play with, especially the "flinch" system replacing morale. Some of the models were a bit awkward to put together (Mantis Bug, Metal MI with the visors) and some of the bigger Arachnids looked a bit like toys (Plasma Bug, Tanker) the MI were nice, still got some of the metal female MI, Plasma Bug, Tanker and 2 APE suits around somewhere. Its just a shame Mongoose Publishing killed it by constantly delaying miniature releases, releasing some dodgy miniatures (Skinnies) and tried to piggy back off of the PPP hype, then ballsed it up with the shattacular Battlefield: Evo miniatures.

If you're going for the film MI, keep squads bog standard, vox upgrades at most. The support should come from Vendettas and Valkyries. If for the book/CGI series, Storm Troopers or Carapace Veterans loaded up with gear supported by Sentinels.

scarletsquig
20-02-2010, 17:13
Even the armoured MI don't do the book's MI justice. They are closest to the weird walker suits they produced as support units, and those that featured in the awful 3rd SST film (didn't see the 2nd, and while the first had nothing to do with the book, at least regarding the MI, it was amusing).

If you think the 3rd film was bad, then you really, really don't want to see the second one.

I turned it off after 20 minutes, it was that terrible, worse than any fan-film I've ever seen.

3rd one seemed a little more reasonable, brought back some of the original cast and the fascist humour.

GodofWarTx
20-02-2010, 18:13
Quick factoid i found amusing : Did you know the director of the Starship Troopers movie didnt even fully read the entire book?

BBWags
20-02-2010, 18:37
I get so frustrated when anything to do with the starship troopers movie is brought up as it relates to 40k . . . why? because as a few have mentioned, the movies are a horrible perversion of the book. They are basically opposites, in reality. In the book, two MI troopers standing at opposite ends of a football field is too close for comfort considering the amount of firepower they can put out. In the movie, you see MI practically OUTNUMBERING the bugs!!! Perhaps this is because the producers couldn't afford the CGI guys to spend the time truly showing all the bugs, but come on!

The book is just so good, it makes me sad, I mean literally sad, to think about the movies. And forgive me, I'm usually not this straightforward, but if you thought the first movie was great, you've got to check to see where you have your bar set, because it's just way too low.

And yes, take SM Terminators and combine them with Tau Crisis and you probably have the best depiction of the MI of the book. But add a lot more weaponry. And speed. And Awesomeness. And Attractiveness, which is free, btw. (e-cookie for a correct reference!)

vladsimpaler
20-02-2010, 18:48

Your thoughts?

Thanks

If it's the Film, then IG.

If it's the Book, then Tau or Space Marines. :D

DeadlySquirrel
20-02-2010, 19:22
im leaning towards the movie's MI.

i was thinking these heads: http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=21

Sleazy
22-02-2010, 12:45
Those heads fit well on cadian bods.

I loved the SST game and most of the minis. Stand outs include the grizzlys/cougars, the ape suits and the wasp troopers. Loved the overseer bug and the ripplers too.

I recently combined ripplers and 'nids to make shrikes.

stolen76
23-02-2010, 22:03
I would say that either a veteran IG army (tons of vets and stormtroopers with Valkyrie support/transport) or a veteran SM force(sternguard vets maxed out, vanguard vets maxed out with only 2-3 troop choices at max to show noobs). The reason to do this is because if you look at the bugs army, they totally outnumber the MI(Mobile Infantry) and the bugs are so big and will most commonly be used as Tyranid warriors in 40k which a 30-120 points per model(depends on types(reg=low-med, shrikes=med-high med, primes=high med-high)) and you ant them to outnumber and if you don't wanna convert the MI then you con buy the model of EBay or on this sight: [URL="http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/index.cfm?N=10"] I'm gonna use bugs so go to this sight if you wanna find out what to use as the units for both sides.