PDA

View Full Version : What army should I start next for my battle reports?

Awilla the Hun
20-02-2010, 12:53
Because, when I (hopefully) start going to University next year, I may as well have something to do. Now, I know that money is likely to be very short, but a project running over several years may eventually succeed, so here goes. (It goes without saying that they will get appropriate backstories and fluff.):

1) The Schnellfuer Regiment: The Prussian Imperial Guard

Order. Discipline. Moustaches. What else could you want out of an army? Expect Iron Discipline, Rigid Order, Pointy Moustaches for officers (at the very least), and massed infantry, each in its 20 man Schwarm, backed with Motorised Krupp Guns and magnificent (Creed quality) leadership. Legt ans!

Well, I do like infantry, and the Franco Prussian War was intersting.

2) Knechtegrenadieren: The Empire, with certain other aspects of German inspiration

Imagine Blitzkrieg, but operating on steam engine and horseback. Led by self proclaimed, and very bombastic Military Geniuses constantly making speeches about how Militarily Ingenious they are. With 88mm Great Cannons, at least one Steam Tank, possibly a War Alter (I mean, of course, Command Tank with various technological innovations), and massed Knights, Pistoliers, Outriders, and other such rapid moving madness. Take that, Schweinehunde!

This will provide an interesting tactical challenge for me, as well as a hopefully amusing narrative. Expect the most Camp Commandant possible as the narrator. I've also been studying Military History, and Blitzkrieg turned up. Not wanting to do yet another Mech Vets army, I started considering the Old World equivalent instead...

3) Farseer Troet-ski's Revolutionary Humanist Brotherhood: Eldar, Comrades. Eldar!

Comrades of the Human Race! Vile Mon-Keigh -I mean, of course, worthy servants and assistants!

No longer, Comrades, do you need to remain oppressed under the Imperium's despotic brand of... well, er, Imperialism! You are to be liberated, Citizens, by the wisdom and intellect of Glorious Farseer Troet-ski, of the Eldarion Kommuna Craftworld.

Due to the hideous losses suffered in battle against Human-Chaotic-Daemonic conspirators, he has been forced-forced? I mean, of course, took the most noble and marvellous of options-to use the numberless ranks of humanity for defence. Due to his incredible intelligence and psychicery, he has been able to establish a formidable force. Backed up by Eldar weaponry and psychic skills, none can possible withstand them! None, do you hear me? NONE!

I'm in two minds of what to do with this one. It will involve largely human infantry forces (mostly guardians), with "adapted" guard heavy weapons to replace Eldar ones. (Meaning, say, an obviously jury rigged lascannon on a somewhat adapted Sentinel for a War Walker.) In actual tabletop terms, it could either be a massed horde of Guardians (I mean, of course, liberated human soldiers) backed up by the Farseers and Warlock of the Psychic-Revolutionary Committee and occasional vehicles (I gather that this would be even more catastrohpic than Comrade von Stahl on the tabletop, and probably more expensive); or a relatively rational army, with lots of grav tanks containing relatively small numbers of infantry, and plenty of conversions. In any case, it could be amusing to have the world's most precise army (Eldar) have one of the most unsubtle forms of ideology and propaganda. Oh, and it would be a tactical challenge.

4) Something classical themed. I have no idea what, but looking at the magnificent work this person has done (http://www.remanlegions.com/), and having spent far too long reading somewhat dubious books of classical history (fine, fine, a few history books, Robert Harris' Imperium series, and the first book of Masters of Rome), I can't help but want to give it a try.

Zarroc
20-02-2010, 13:05
How bout a normal army :confused:

Awilla the Hun
20-02-2010, 13:47
Zarroc, please define "normal army". In such a rich world as those of GW, I find it hard to see that there is any such thing. The closest thing I have is my Imperial Guard (The Emperor's Saggitarrian Rifles.)

If you mean an army that lacks fluff altogether, then absolutely not. Why should I? Besides, I would enjoy an interesting project in University apart from learning, drinking, doing part time jobs, and so on.

Zarroc
21-02-2010, 13:46
Zarroc, please define "normal army". In such a rich world as those of GW, I find it hard to see that there is any such thing. The closest thing I have is my Imperial Guard (The Emperor's Saggitarrian Rifles.)

If you mean an army that lacks fluff altogether, then absolutely not. Why should I? Besides, I would enjoy an interesting project in University apart from learning, drinking, doing part time jobs, and so on.

Uni is usaully parties and sex, lol shouldnt have time for modeling, haha

MasterSparks
21-02-2010, 13:58
These all sound like 40k armies. I vote for another Fantasy one. :)

Awilla the Hun
21-02-2010, 20:16
The Knechtegrenadieren are an attempt to do an often used 40k theme (Panzers sweeping through France/Poland/Eastern Europe) in fantasy format. So I take it that you're voting for them.

Ancre
21-02-2010, 20:33
I voted classical. I really liked Comrade Von Stahl and his battle reports, and I no doubt will be following your projects. But I'd like to see romans.

If not, then my vote goes for the moustache. Number 1. I like moustaches :)

( ... if not, communist moustached romans ? )

MasterSparks
21-02-2010, 22:30
The Knechtegrenadieren are an attempt to do an often used 40k theme (Panzers sweeping through France/Poland/Eastern Europe) in fantasy format. So I take it that you're voting for them.

Oh wow, I must've missed that! Indeed, I'll place my vote for those. :)