PDA

View Full Version : Which Army Next, Goblins or Tomb kings?

Garion
20-02-2010, 19:42
I have just finished collecting a 3000pts Ogre army painted but I do not want to spend any more money on my Ogres till the new book and figures are released. So I want to collect a new army so what would people recommend and why?

The two I am most interested in at the moment are Tomb Kings or a Pure Goblin army.

So what are peoples thoughts on these two armies are they competitive and fun to play like they look?

EldarWonderland
20-02-2010, 20:04
I play Tomb Kings as my main army and I wouldn't change it in any way, even if I do get battered more than I batter them. They are so different to other armies they will be a nice change for you.

bigcheese76
20-02-2010, 20:16
If you want to be different then I would suggest the Tomb Kings. I was going to start Tomb Kings back when I started fantasy, but was advised to start Dwarves instead for their simplicity.

Condottiere
20-02-2010, 20:26
The Goblin army is more fun, unless you happen to have liked The Mummy.

Zetari
20-02-2010, 21:11
My Main Army is A Night Goblin Army And My Secondary Is Tomb Kings

Night Goblin Army Is More Fun Since.
Many Goblins Is't To Serius But Awsome To Face In Combat Since We Have Our Dirty Tricks ;)

Tomb King Is A Smaller Version Of Vampire ****s And I Must Say A Much Better One To!

But To Get To My Point:

For Fun Then Go Goblins
For Turnaments And Stuff I Recommend Tomb Kings :)

Kamenwati
20-02-2010, 22:37
Unfortunately don't go with the Tomb Kings. I play them and will continue to do so since I love the army (and have a sizeable investment in them) but apparently according to the latest White Dwarf they have been Squatted.

Toshiro
20-02-2010, 22:49
I play Tomb Kings as main army and O&G as secondary army (and plan on Ogre Kingdoms as third) so I must say I like your taste in armies :D

I would recommend them both, Goblins for pure fun and mayhem and TK for tactic like no other :)

Urgat
21-02-2010, 01:00
Simple enough. Which do you prefer, undead or gobs? :p
Side note: TK are probably much, much easier and faster to paint.

Wintersdark
21-02-2010, 02:36
Goblins are way more fun to play but while they are also easy to paint, you'll be painting a LOT of them. Think hundreds for a normal list. It's a labour of love.

Goblins are great for a second army. They're not a hard, strongly competitive list (though they certainly can be with a little luck) they are an absolute blast to play. You need the right attitude, though, a gobbo attitude.

On the other hand, to are a breeze to paint, don't require a huge investment in time or money, and tend to be a great deal more reliable in actual play. I'd wait for their new army book before investing in them though, see how it goes and make more informed choices.

Sygerrik
21-02-2010, 03:07
Unfortunately don't go with the Tomb Kings. I play them and will continue to do so since I love the army (and have a sizeable investment in them) but apparently according to the latest White Dwarf they have been Squatted.

Eh? What happened to the GW commitment to continue supporting any army that has a current model range?
Can anyone else corroborate this?

The SkaerKrow
21-02-2010, 03:13
Tomb Kings should be updated this year, while Orcs and Goblins should be updated by early 2012 I suspect. With that in mind, if you're going to start an army now, go with Goblins. The new Tomb King plastics are likely to be rescaled like the Vampire Count skeleton models were, so loading up on figures now is probably not the best idea.

Neither army is particularly competitive. Tomb Kings can perform well with the right build and in the right hands, where Goblins are a bit more spotty and at the mercy of their luck. That said, Goblins are a hilarious army to play, so if you can really laugh at the game, they're a great time.

tezdal
21-02-2010, 05:13
Goblins, O&G players seem to enjoy themselves far more then any other type from what I've seen, plus just about any theme you can think of can be applied to Gobbos.

Jind_Singh
21-02-2010, 05:15
Tomb Kings or Goblins....

Its like being asked:

"Excuse me sir, would you like a kick in the balls or would you like this sports car, complete with free insurance and fuel for a year"

What choice do I have to make again? Oh yeah, GOBLINS!!!

So mahy reasons for going Goblins - the main one being your a Goblin! Green is da best, you got the best looking figures to lead the horde, good selction of plastic troops, the amazing squig hoppers, pump wagons, spider riders, snotlings, giants, the entire army list is amazinG!

and they really suprise people to - infact took my 1000pts pure gobbos along with my mates pure orcs and we came 1st in a doubles tourny of 34 people!

people love facing you, you have fun games, and as addicted i am to warhammer i am loving my hobby the most when im fielding the waaagh - they are that great!

do it!

Stegadeth
21-02-2010, 05:15
Goblins, O&G players seem to enjoy themselves far more then any other type from what I've seen, plus just about any theme you can think of can be applied to Gobbos.

I think this is because they are so wildly unpredictable. If you win you can claim it was skill even though they are pretty strong if you are lucky. If you lose you say that's the nature of O&G. And seriously, who can't but laugh at the crazy thing this army can do to itself. If you're type A and have to win and control everything, play something else though.

Garion
21-02-2010, 06:49
Winning isn't a big deal I just play for fun, which is why I have a Slave giant in my Ogre army. So it's all about the fun.

So far I think the tomb kings is a good choice because they will be really easy and quick to paint. Also they are not being discontinued they have a new army book and model range coming out this year in June - according to the manager of my local Gamesworkshop and his official release calendar. So if I did go the tomb kings way I would just start off getting some of the models that should definitely stand up after the new release e.g. scorpion, skeletons, Catapult etc.

I feel the Goblins would be a good idea, because they just look like the most fun army to play with, Squigs rule, Doom Divers are also awesome, Snotlings and their Pumpwagon are hilarious, fanatics are just plain cool and Sarsnik looks like one of the best characters in the game. Also you know all these models will be in the Goblin army list forever. However I don't know if I can face painting huge units of Goblins.

So I am still undecided so far, if any one has any links to pictures of their goblin or tomb king armies please post them so I can see the armies in there full glory :)

Jind_Singh
21-02-2010, 07:54
i dont have any pictures but I did get my 1000pt gobbo army done in just under 2 weeks - and still got the full 5 points for painting at the toruney

I got

Night Gobblin big boss, light armour, sheild, martogs best basha, brimstone bauble
Night Goblin Shaman, level 2, staff of badum, mushrooms

30 Night Goblin Spears, full command, netters, 1 fanatic
20 Night Goblin Archers, musician, 1 fanatic
5 Spider Riders, bows, musician
5 Wolf Riders, bows, musician

5 Squig Hoppers
2 Spear Chuckas

2 Snotling Pump Wagons

Whats not to love! Cool models, very low model count, and REALLY easy to paint - Night Goblins can be churned out (and look great) at an amazing rate.

I even did the details - teeth, eyes, all the pouches, ropes, the arrows have the fletching detailed out, and actually all the hoods of the gobbos have individual white designs - triangles, flames, etc.

Simple dry brush of adaptus battle grey on the robes, and washes for the rest.the command were detailed out with actual high lighting.

Once I a 2250pt army done then I'll go back and actually detail all the plucky warriors.

WAAAAY more exciting to paint than skeletons -thats for sure! I have 3 distinct colour schemes for the 3 tribes - common gobbo, forest gobbos, and the night gobbos. Its great as their greenskin and the repeated basing technique really helps to visually tie the army together - and in my case I used yellow for the spear hafts/bows, etc to tie the entire army together.

The other thing is, from practical point, theres talks of the orcs being redone as part of the new starter set (for eg new plastic boar boyz) and theres good chance some of the gobbo stuff will be done to. So its nice having a face lift!

Also with all this talk of a new edition of fanatsy out this summer, its always a good bet that the orcs and gobbos are one of the 1st books to always be redone - so why not?!

Come on - you know you want to!

Garion
21-02-2010, 11:00
I do like the look of that army, I especially love the Squig hoppers and Snotling Pump Wagons.

That army list would cost me 192 to put together which isn't too bad and would have 78 models to paint which isn't too bad either though it is quite a lot for a 1000 pts army I think.

Also I still have the goblin archers and spearmen from my 1990s Warhammer box set which I could use mixed in with some new figures.

Has anyone got a Tomb Kings army for 1000pts that works? So I can compare price models etc? Because that Goblin army is very tempting and has probably nudged Goblins into the lead.

Also what would I need to add to that Goblin army list to turn it into a 2500 pts army?

Urgat
21-02-2010, 11:45
So I am still undecided so far, if any one has any links to pictures of their goblin or tomb king armies please post them so I can see the armies in there full glory :)

For gobs, cherck my sig, there's a good deal of gobs here and there. It's not masterclass painting though, be warned :p

Zarroc
21-02-2010, 12:53

I failed to read this, in febs issue, feel free to point us to the page its on

Garion
21-02-2010, 16:05
I failed to read this, in febs issue, feel free to point us to the page its on

Agreed, I couldn't find anything in the new White Dwarf that says the Tomb kings have been "squatted" and the official release calendar says there will be a new tomb kings release this year.

What I need to know now is - what would I need to add to that goblin list above to make it a 2500 pts army and does anyone have a 1000pts tomb king army list they could post so that I could compare it to that goblin list to see which I would prefer?

Jind_Singh
21-02-2010, 18:51
for 2250?

rock lobba
doom diver
skarsnick and gobla

would be the staple heart. Anything else is a bonus - I'd buy skull pass again to get my hands on the plastics - that will give you the core of the night & forest goblins for what, $90? then id see if anyone wanted to trade the dwarves off me for their skull pass gobbos.

im thinking for 2500pts of having the 1000pts i mentioned, plus

3 more units of spiders
1 more unit of wolves
doom diver
rock lobba
2 more units of spearman
skarsnick and gobbla
some heros
wolf chariot

and thats pretty much it - i think i buffed the unit of 5 squig hoppers to 10, so really all i added was a skullpass and a few war machines

Garion
21-02-2010, 19:12
Thanks, that army list does appeal to me, it looks like a fun army to play with, now I just need someone to write up a Tombkings list for a 1000pts and 2500pts army so I can see roughly the cost, number of figures and whether they look like a fun army to play with.

Come on lovers of Tombking armies make your case...

Wintersdark
21-02-2010, 20:02
TK are much harder to run at very low point costs. That's one of the big plussesc
to a goblin force: you can make very balanced effective forces at even tiny point levels.

If you want to grow a goblin force but keep the model count down, go fast attack. Lots of wolf/spider riders, wolf chariots, etc. It's a very effective army, and you can add bulk infantry over time later if you want to try out a more numerous infantry based force. Giants are also completely acceptable in a goblin army, and can be a joy to customize.

Also, if you decide in the future to go full O@G, that option is open for you too.

TK, on the other hand, just don't have all those options.

outbreak
22-02-2010, 02:22
I play tomb kings. their being redone soon and out of my 4 armies (one is night goblins/ong) i find them to be the most tactical. If i'm in a mood for a tactical fight i want to win i pick them and they are always fun for that. Despite what people say here on warseer i find my TK to be quite competitive and around here they poll on tournaments usually (i've only played in one with them which i got 2nd place with).

At 1k i'd say a standardish list (from memory) for me is something like

prince
priest on foot
priest on steed
20 archers
5 light horsemen for the priest to hide with
1 swarm
3 chariots
2 tomb scorpions
screaming skull catapult

Garion
22-02-2010, 12:42
I think I will attempt a Goblin army they just have the coolest troops at the moment, squigs, doom divers, snotlings and their pump waggons. I love them, I will check the tomb kings out again when the new army book and figures are released, because I think the tomb kings are a really interesting army to play with and have a really interesting tactical playing style.

Zetari
22-02-2010, 12:48
i dont have any pictures but I did get my 1000pt gobbo army done in just under 2 weeks - and still got the full 5 points for painting at the toruney

I got

Night Gobblin big boss, light armour, sheild, martogs best basha, brimstone bauble
Night Goblin Shaman, level 2, staff of badum, mushrooms

30 Night Goblin Spears, full command, netters, 1 fanatic
20 Night Goblin Archers, musician, 1 fanatic
5 Wolf Riders, bows, musician

5 Squig Hoppers
2 Spear Chuckas

2 Snotling Pump Wagons

Must say its a nice 1k army you have gotten up. But The shaman should be more antimagic and besides thats its awsome. :D

My Main Nigh Goblin Army Has 15 fanatics So I Need lots of antimagic If i face skaven and/or Undeads since i do not want them to realise my fanatics so early.

With Goblins There Should be Chaos And MadGobbos With Ironballs every where! Wooohooo!!

Garion
22-02-2010, 14:34
Yes I like the look of this list a lot too. So I may well copy it and if I keep going all the way to 3000pts will have to include a giant (which I already have painted and I love him) more Squig Hoppers and more fanatics for even more mayhem.

Are Squig Herders worth having as well?

Bladelord
22-02-2010, 14:35
If you're going for Tomb Kings, they'll get updated soon so keep that in mind.

Wintersdark
22-02-2010, 17:30
Must say its a nice 1k army you have gotten up. But The shaman should be more antimagic and besides thats its awsome. :D

My Main Nigh Goblin Army Has 15 fanatics So I Need lots of antimagic If i face skaven and/or Undeads since i do not want them to realise my fanatics so early.

With Goblins There Should be Chaos And MadGobbos With Ironballs every where! Wooohooo!!

I wouldn't go more antimagic at 1k. It's just not necessary. A goblin force at that size can easily absorb the magic you're likely to face, and while it's POSSIBLE to make a very (comparatively) heavy-magic build at 1k, it's very risky.

The base 3 dispel dice handily cover dispelling one spell per turn, or a couple bound spells. That's fine for 1k :) Just soak the rest.

Your list in particular may need to worry about that, but I wouldn't recommend a fanatic heavy list as a competetive list anyways. They're just too random, and too easy to spook early. Lots of points goes into them and gets wasted (at best). It is fun, though!

Garion
22-02-2010, 19:27
What about the Squigs should I only bother with Squig hoppers or do squig herds have there place too?