PDA

View Full Version : D-99 special weapons in squads

Rovert
20-02-2010, 23:45
I wonder if anyone can help me...does anyone know if a demo charge counts as one the special weapons choices or is it separate..It says in the options that you can have 2 flamer,melta,plasma ect and then says up to one demo.

cheers

AndrewGPaul
20-02-2010, 23:47
Looks to me like you can have up to two special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge.

Rovert
20-02-2010, 23:49
darn it :)

WinglessVT2
21-02-2010, 00:20
If we're talking about regular guardsmen, special weapon squads must have three 'special weapons,' and all three of them may by demo-charges if you want to.
Veterans only ever get one, and it's in addition to all their normal gear, plus gives every member of the unit meltabombs.

Noserenda
21-02-2010, 03:23
Looks to me like you can have up to two special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge.

Seems pretty clear here too, bear in mind you can take 5 man squads of this though...

Rovert
21-02-2010, 16:13
I think i can only take 1 special weapons squad for d-99 elysians...although it will all probably change when AI8 comes out and Ill have to rejig everything

TheOneWithNoName
21-02-2010, 16:51
I think i can only take 1 special weapons squad for d-99 elysians...although it will all probably change when AI8 comes out and Ill have to rejig everything

I believe they are elite choices in D-99 so you can take up to 3.

Rovert
21-02-2010, 23:23
I think i must be looking at the regiment organisation chart at the beginning of the army list in the AI book ...so I use the normal IG one?

AndrewGPaul
22-02-2010, 00:05
I think people are getting confused; the D-99 army list in Imperial Armour volume 4 is for a special formation. WinglessVT2 is talking about the Veteran Squad and Special Weapon Squad options in Codex: Imperial Guard. That's irrelevant here.

Looking at IA vol 4, Special Weapon Squads are 6 men, and can have up to 3 special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge. These are Elites choices, so you can take 3 of these squads if you like.

Veteran Squads are your only Troops choice, and as I noted above, they can have 2 special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge. They're made up of 5-10 men.

Even once IA vol 8 comes out, the D-99 army will still be (IMO) a valid army list. It's a special formation, not the generic army list for drop troops that was in IA vol 3. That's the army list that will likely be superseded by IA vol 8.

Petay1985
22-02-2010, 15:39
I think people are getting confused; the D-99 army list in Imperial Armour volume 4 is for a special formation. WinglessVT2 is talking about the Veteran Squad and Special Weapon Squad options in Codex: Imperial Guard. That's irrelevant here.

Looking at IA vol 4, Special Weapon Squads are 6 men, and can have up to 3 special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge. These are Elites choices, so you can take 3 of these squads if you like.

Veteran Squads are your only Troops choice, and as I noted above, they can have 2 special weapons, of which one can be a demo charge. They're made up of 5-10 men.

Even once IA vol 8 comes out, the D-99 army will still be (IMO) a valid army list. It's a special formation, not the generic army list for drop troops that was in IA vol 3. That's the army list that will likely be superseded by IA vol 8.

Spot on right, and exactly as i interpret/predict it! However i would specualte that the predicted option to take veteran squads as troops will allow for a more contemporary army list that D-99 players could use (albiet with out the extra bits, drug enhancement, doctrines etc..)

marv335
22-02-2010, 17:23
I doubt D-99 will appear in IA8.
They are not really Elysians, more a special Inquisitorial force.

Rovert
22-02-2010, 19:30
Thanks for all the input guys..I am only just starting up 40k again after a few years out so excuse the stupid questions...It was the d-99 list that made me want to start again, and the Fw elysian models. I played my first battle with my elysians the other night against space wolves and it went very well, cant wait till I get all the rules in my head.I am still missing a few tricks but they seem to fair very well. My Vulture did help alot though..might have to get another :)

TheWarSmith
22-02-2010, 23:41
I'm considering D-99 as well.

"Up to two models may be armed with one of the following: flamer, meltagun, plasma gun, genade launcher; up to one demolition charge"

Point costs omitted.

It's a bit ambiguous to be honest, but I think that the demolition charge is a subset of the "up to two models", so I'd say 2 special weapons, one of which can be the demo charge.

If it was 2 in addition to the demo charge, then I think that would be listed separately, similar to the way the lascutter, heavy weapon, and vox caster upgrade sections are.

A side question, can D-99 take a long range scanner?