PDA

View Full Version : In pick-up games.....

Mr. Gobbo
21-02-2010, 16:38
do you usually tell what magic items/equipment you have to your opponent at the start of the game or only when it becomes relevant?

I just want to know because I plan on going to a GW hobby center on a game night and having a pick-up game in the future and I don't want to do anything that would **** off my opponent.

Also, do you usually tell your opponent if you have any "hidden" models in units (Like Night Goblin Fanatics or assassins)?

scipunk
21-02-2010, 16:45
You don't have to mention what magic items you have to your opponent. The reason is to hide the fact the "trump cards" that would assist your army in surprising your opponent. As long you have your list and you have paid points for the item your opponent should not be disappointed.

As with hidden characters...the safe side in going about this is mentioning that you have a hidden character. Tell a third party who would be watching the game where the character is hidden so there would be no conflict later during the game. As for fanatics......people always assume there are at least three in a NG unit so thats normally a given.

Mr. Gobbo
21-02-2010, 16:49
Thank you for answering my questions!:)

As for fanatics......people always assume there are at least three in a NG unit so thats normally a given.

So, people usually expect a unit to be maxed out with fanatics?

scipunk
21-02-2010, 16:54
So, people usually expect a unit to be maxed out with fanatics?

That is why you would see O&G players take night goblins rather than common goblins. They pretty much cost the same points wise and when the fanatics are released and killed the opponent does not get any Victory Points till the parent unit is destroyed.

I played against an army once with about 13 fanatics ready to be released...you can imagine what happens next:p

Mr. Gobbo
21-02-2010, 16:59
That is why you would see O&G players take night goblins rather than common goblins. They pretty much cost the same points wise and when the fanatics are released and killed the opponent does not get any Victory Points till the parent unit is destroyed.

And equipping night goblins with short bows doesn't raise the cost, if I'm not mistaking.

I played against an army once with about 13 fanatics ready to be released...you can imagine what happens next:p

So, by the end of the turn after the turn they were released, only half of the O&G army was left?:p

scipunk
21-02-2010, 17:05
I'm not sure if giving them bows is extra (for I don't own the book), but because they are NG you can still field Fanatics in that unit...this kinda helps to keep your shooting unit from being pounced on by fast calvary, flyers, etc.

As for the 13 Fanatics....once released....the middle of the table became a no-man land...neither my opponent or myself dared to venture there until they were slowly killed down or they decided to move away.

Mr. Gobbo
21-02-2010, 17:07
I'm not sure if giving them bows is extra (for I don't own the book), but because they are NG you can still field Fanatics in that unit...this kinda helps to keep your shooting unit from being pounced on by fast calvary, flyers, etc.

Just checked my book and bows don't cost extra for night goblins, but they have to give up their shield, leaving them without an armour save.

BigbyWolf
21-02-2010, 18:48

I usually run a couple of units of 20 Night Goblin archers without fanatics (and they're the only Night Goblins in my army), it's fun because, as you said, people expect them to have fanatics in them. This means they usually commit something to deal with them/ draw them out, which ends up being a waste of time/ points on their part.

Reverse psychology, greenskin style!

Jind_Singh
21-02-2010, 18:54
lol, talk about thread hijacking! To the OP - don't tell anyone. What I do though is I'll point to each wizard in turn and roll the spells, and write the spell numbers on my list. If I burn scrolls during the game again I'll point at the model and chant 'scroll' and delete it off the list.
As for hidden characters I'll write it down on the army list which unit he's hiding in or failing that I'll tell a staff memeber before the game so they can verify the deployment.
dont tell anyone what you got though - its all part of the suprise!

Lordsaradain
21-02-2010, 20:02
do you usually tell what magic items/equipment you have to your opponent at the start of the game or only when it becomes relevant?

I just want to know because I plan on going to a GW hobby center on a game night and having a pick-up game in the future and I don't want to do anything that would **** off my opponent.

Also, do you usually tell your opponent if you have any "hidden" models in units (Like Night Goblin Fanatics or assassins)?

Only when it becomes relevant. If my opponent asks I will always tell him aboutb my mundane equipment, but magic items stay secret untill I use them.

Hidden models are not revealed untill they are... revealed. :P

BigbyWolf
21-02-2010, 20:03
lol, talk about thread hijacking! To the OP - don't tell anyone. What I do though is I'll point to each wizard in turn and roll the spells, and write the spell numbers on my list. If I burn scrolls during the game again I'll point at the model and chant 'scroll' and delete it off the list.
As for hidden characters I'll write it down on the army list which unit he's hiding in or failing that I'll tell a staff memeber before the game so they can verify the deployment.
dont tell anyone what you got though - its all part of the suprise!

Sorry ;) Back to the point, yes, in general it's a good idea to keep things hidden until they have to be revealed. Doing otherwise would negate the point of certain items you can buy that give you the ability to check what your opponent has.

Naeni
25-02-2010, 10:10
Well I guess its just keeping to logic and reality, you wouldn't yell over a battlefeild "oh by the way, just wanted to let you know be careful of that guy over there because you can't actually kill him the normal way!!!" You want them to go "oh, hang on, my sword is slicing back and forward through him, why is he not dying, why is he smiling at me, ah crap."

King_Pash
25-02-2010, 11:16
In friendly pick-up games (and games against honourable campaign players) I tend to go over what each of my units do (I play High Elves btw) and then we do the same for my opponent. Magic items and magic equipment we keep secret although if you're an experienced player you'll pretty much know what these units tend to pack.

For example: I know that most NG units will be packing fanatics so I usually like to fly an Eagle nearby to draw them out. Of course reverse phycology works either way but its part of what makes the game fun and not 100% predictable like chess. :)

BigbyWolf
25-02-2010, 12:53
Well I guess its just keeping to logic and reality, you wouldn't yell over a battlefeild "oh by the way, just wanted to let you know be careful of that guy over there because you can't actually kill him the normal way!!!" You want them to go "oh, hang on, my sword is slicing back and forward through him, why is he not dying, why is he smiling at me, ah crap."

But it would make battles more interesting if you did...I've always thought war in the real world would be more civilized if it was turn-based!

Lord Solar Plexus
25-02-2010, 13:01
There are also some items that reveal what the other side carries. They would make no sense at all if you'd reveal everything at the start.

Crovax20
25-02-2010, 13:05
Magic items are usually kept secret untill they become relevant. Just make sure you have them on your list and paid the points for them.

Same goes for hidden characters, just make sure you have it noted down in what unit they are.

rtunian
25-02-2010, 15:00
But it would make battles more interesting if you did...I've always thought war in the real world would be more civilized if it was turn-based!

"i say old boy, it was... until those damned dirty "americans" i think they call themselves, until they started fighting from the woods and ambushing our supply lines," said the early 19th century british aristocrat. cue tangential historical argument:

Condottiere
25-02-2010, 16:30
Tactics change to adjust to the current environment; the British should have started building suburbs two centuries earlier.

King_Pash
25-02-2010, 16:38
Tactics change to adjust to the current environment; the British should have started building suburbs two centuries earlier.

Are you seriously using town planning as an argument for a turn-based tabletop wargame? Honestly?!

Let's not drag this down into a cultural discussion. Keep it on topic.

BigbyWolf
25-02-2010, 18:05
"i say old boy, it was... until those damned dirty "americans" i think they call themselves, until they started fighting from the woods and ambushing our supply lines," said the early 19th century british aristocrat. cue tangential historical argument:

Colonials you mean? It hardly matters anyway...we never really intended to win that war, it was more to just train them up for future conflicts...unfortunately the next one they fought was against themselves!

I mean, seriously, we got over the whole "civil war" thing centuries earlier!

Are you seriously using town planning as an argument for a turn-based tabletop wargame? Honestly?!

Let's not drag this down into a cultural discussion. Keep it on topic.

Topics finished, isn't it? In pick up games you shouldn't reveal any hidden things to your opponent, unless you want to.

Condottiere
25-02-2010, 18:35
And keep everything documented.

nub5
25-02-2010, 18:37

Honestly it depends on the enviroment. When I would go to my local GW, the enviroment was pretty over the top (WAAC). If your local GW is the same, than I would go with the rules as written meaning you don't have to let them know until it becomes applicable.

Almost all players are going to assume you have fanatics when you set the night goblins on the table. In the odd case you get a new player who is clueless, you will have a bystander to tell him beward of the fantatics in your night goblin unit.

A suggestion to help alleviate "pissing off" someone is to help educate them on the items/unit they were surprised by. If you enjoy gaming with the person you can go further and provide advice on counters to the item or basic tactics surrounding it.