PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new army

lordmetroid
21-02-2010, 17:07
I have been playing Orkz since the release of 3rd edition Orkz codex. I have been abscent from the hobby for a couple of years but after going to the club again and meeting all my old friends, I have decided to start playing again.

The Orkz army I have was made for the 3rd edition/4th edition rules and doesn't really work at all now because the bag of tricks that I used for my shooty Orkz to get all the necessary fire power is no longer available and hence I got an army that neither can hold their strength in firepower nor contains the necessary numbers to achieve anything in close combat.

As I have never played anything but Orkz, I thought it would be interesting to start a new army. I really like the Dark Eldar fluff and playstyle. The Dark Eldar models are horrible in my opinion and so I am thinking of creating y army from scratchbuilt models and converted eldar models and whatnot.

However as we all know Games Workshop are idiots and will probably change the whole army and as they do all my efforts would probably be wasted. What is your take on this?

Deusmex
21-02-2010, 17:11
Rumour has it that the new DE are close. What close means is unsure though.

However if its an excercise in converting, then Id say go for it , cos Dark Eldar are an absolute blast to play. By far my most favourite army to play.

Welcome to the dark side.

lordmetroid
21-02-2010, 17:25
I have been converting before for Orkz but those are quite rough. I thought I wanted something in this style http://ignusdei.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Eldar-Artillery-MOD-124116863 for my dark eldar.

It will be quite an effort to achieve. Probably will do allright if I start with some warriors and Raiders, don't you think?

WinglessVT2
21-02-2010, 17:30
Dark eldar have been 'close' for the last 6 years.
Might not want to put your stock in GW's version of Duke Nukem Forever.

Their army, as it stands, is ridiculously powerful, but it has a massive learning curve, and only about half of what the codex offers you is useful these days.

I'd go orks, personally.
You can pick up a cheap base army from black reach boxes, and ebay sells the individual components for tiny sums of money.

Vexbane
21-02-2010, 20:41
I would use your orks until the DE codex comes out( whenever that is). It would be easy to get the orks you have into a competitive force and the orks just came out out with some sweet new models.

I might start a dark eldar force myself when they come out.

susu.exp
22-02-2010, 01:45
Well, others have noted it before, the DE arent too far off and the few rumors weve noted lead to rather high expectations for the new models. So Id simply second those who advise you to stick to the Orks until they come out. Im not sure what the problem is there (shoota boys are a good choice in the current Codex, getting cheaper pointswise and a boost in their gun).
In fact, the Ork Codex is a Codex with no bad choices (Flash gits are possibly the worst and even they can be put to good use). Sure enough, most tournament lists are Nob Bikers and Slugga Boys, but they shooty Orks werent the strongest build in 3rd either and got vastly improved in the 4th Ed. Dex.

If your Nobs have Rokkits, use them as Tankbusters and get a few Klaw Nobs - the additional attacks of the boys tend not to do the damage against most units and shoota boys with PK-Nob are deadly both at range and up close.

Far Seer
22-02-2010, 05:29
Yes i would agree with the others and say play Da Orkz! until the new dark eldar codex comes out... check the rumours section