PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Revenant?

JimB
22-02-2010, 15:22
I've got a (badly painted) Craftworld Eldar force, and a smaller Dark Eldar force which I've been working on for a while. The Dark Eldar are much better painted, and are the army that I see myself working on for the foreseeable future - especially if we get a new codex and some lovely new minis soon ;)

I recently bought a Revenant Titan, partly because I play quite a lot of Apoc games so could put it to use, but mainly because I just couldn't resist the model any longer. But I'm struggling to decide how to paint it - of course, I should paint it to fit with my CWE army, but I'm tempted to paint it up in the same scheme as my Dark Eldar and do some conversion work to make it more evil-looking.

I know there's no such thing as a Dark Eldar Revenant in fluff - but if I was to turn up to an Apox game with a Dark Eldar army and Revenant, would you play me, or would the fluff disconnect annoy you too much?

I just don't want to spend a load of timing painting the Titan nicely to have it sit alongside my crappy Craftworld Eldar...

Harbringerxv8
22-02-2010, 16:02
I'd love to see it personally. The more DE in the world the better. That being said, there are some fluff nazis that hover around stores who complain rather fiercely about stuff like that. The good news is that you don't have to play them :) Since apocalypse isn't really a pick-up game anyways, you'll probably play with like-minded individuals. Plus, who wouldn't want to fight a Titan at some point in their lives?

\/\/raithlord
22-02-2010, 16:06
If you wanted to, I'm pretty sure you could have an "allied" Carnifex in with your force with Apocalypse rules, so I don't think there'd be any rules to prevent you using your Revenant Titan in Apoc games.
Once painted properly I'm pretty sure most people would be happy for you to use it with your force (In the 'Thousand Sons" book there are two corrupted Revenants that they have to fight, which is just cool).

If people are too grim and serious for you to do such a thing in their game you should tell them to pack up and stop playing Apocalypse.

FashaTheDog
22-02-2010, 16:11
I love pick up Apocalypse, but that's besides the point. There is actually no fluff against the Dark Eldar having it as there is very little fluff at all. GW said the codex is representative of a highly specialized raiding party. It would be as though they released Codex Drop Pod Assault instead of Space Marines and built the codex around the theme that only units that may use a drop pod will be in it. I'd say either go ahead and get crazy with the Cheese Wiz and make your Dark Revenant. However, if you really must paint it up to your Craftworld, then make it an excuse to repaint your Eldar to a better standard.

Messiahnide
22-02-2010, 16:12
I wouldnt have a problem with it as apocalypse is a bring everything you got/ everything goes. I can think of plenty of reasons dark eldar could of got hold of one, they use the dragon phoenix afterall.

the1stpip
22-02-2010, 16:58
No, they probably wouldnt have access to one,. but the beauty of Apoc is if you can justify it, you can do it.

Brother of the Hydra
22-02-2010, 17:05
You could have a very interesting little project on your hands there. Yes the fluff monkeys will have break down but its probably one of the more realistic Titans they could use given its hit and run fluff.

FashaTheDog
22-02-2010, 17:13
No, they probably wouldnt have access to one,. but the beauty of Apoc is if you can justify it, you can do it.

Why? All we have to go from of what they have listed in BFG and the codex with the admittedly limited scope. The rest is simply not there as GW had likely initially intended to have an expansion codex that would flesh out the Dark Eldar more and be much like Codex Craft World Eldar was to the Codex Eldar. The Dark Eldar are actually, fluff-wise, more in tune with early Rogue Trader than the current edition, leaving far more to the player base to develop and use among their groups with only very small segments officially laid down.

The Orange
22-02-2010, 17:18
I wouldn't care, and technically because it's an Apoc. game no one could really complain about it as you could take an ork battle wagon and/or a tyranid carnifex and it'd still be legal.

Alessander
22-02-2010, 17:29
Go for it! Just make sure it's spiky and menacing =C)

ago syb
22-02-2010, 17:35
I picked up a revenant to use with my DE and I'm painting it in harlequin colors, I understand harlies are more or less neutral between the craftworlders and DE. If you're into harlequins and want a lore excuse to use when, then there's an idea :]

cptmachine
22-02-2010, 17:44
Just as a little aside, there is a web project for epic 40K with dark eldar and their titans. Might be worth a look. Sorry I dont have an address for you at the moment.

Curis
22-02-2010, 18:00
That web project is here - http://www.tacticalwargames.net/archive/rules/epic/raiders.html

The Dark Eldar have Tormentor Titans, which are mysterious corrupted Eldar Titans. So taking a Dark Revenant isn't entirely unfeasible.

Alternatively you could justify it as an actual Craftworld Revenant, and claim the Dark Eldar are merely vicious Eldar Pirates.

(I really like the term 'fluff diconnect'.)

JimB
22-02-2010, 18:19
Thanks for all the responses guys - you've dispelled all my worries! The Dark Revenant is under way ;)

carl
22-02-2010, 19:27
Actually GW also put out Epic DE titan rules at sme point, though sadly i can no longer find them.

I belive they where all fast superheavy fliers of some sort. No mechasuits anywhere that i remember, though there might have been a giant sized Talos (or whatever that funny scorpion they have is).

shin'keiro
22-02-2010, 20:27
Paint it how you want - it's your model!

cuda1179
22-02-2010, 20:28
Dark Eldar like to pillage from the craftworld Eldar and steal Wraithbone and Soulstones. I don't think it would be totally out of the question for an opportunistic and lucky Dark Eldar Lord to steal a Titan if he had the chance.

Worst case scenario for the Dark Eldar Lord is that he will have to ditch it in the not too distant future when they are unable to transport it though or narrow segment of the webway or run out of parts.

It would look terrific if you could modify the pulsars to look like giant Dark Lances.

Aurellis
22-02-2010, 20:34
I would definitely not have a problem with you using an Eldar Revenant Titan for use with a Dark Eldar force. It wouldn't be too out of place with a small amount of conversion work.

A few skulls, spikes, bodies attached to chains etc. could work too give it that darker/gruesome effect.

Ixajin
23-02-2010, 01:29
Go for it. I have one to do the same.

the1stpip
23-02-2010, 08:18
The Epic pdf that I have is actually a fan project (although it is quite good)

Dark Eldar do not make use of Wraithbone (escept for grenades) so it is unlikely. I never said impossible.

Messiahnide
23-02-2010, 09:23
Thanks for all the responses guys - you've dispelled all my worries! The Dark Revenant is under way ;)

Are we gonna see a project log on this? :D

Crazy_Irish
23-02-2010, 09:50
I got inspired by the Epic Fan Project and I am planing to build a Tormentor.
I got a half broken revenant from a friend(he tried to decolor it, and it went horrible wrong, looked like an heami had put his fingers on it;-)

so at the moment i am planing the 4 legs, well what ever.

you see, there is definitely space in fluff for a DE Titan, you just have to explain how the got to it. My'n was captured by a ruthless DE Pirate Cmdr who recently killed a harlequin for his clothes.

Hop to see a project soon.

JimB
23-02-2010, 14:36
Let me have a think about how I'm going to do it - if it's working out then I'll project log it. But first thoughts were:

- Large shock of "hair" from the head of the Titan, similar to DE Warriors. Might make this look like it's cables that have been grafted to the head
- 4x large blades curving out from the base of each of the pulsars to around 1/3 of the way down them
- Some serrated ridges on the lower legs and shoulder and lower body plates with blades on them
- Trophy racks hanging on chains from each side of the Titan, complete with tortured Eldar and Guardsmen
- Dark Eldar warriors scurrying around the feet

Let me know if you have any other ideas :)

Messiahnide
23-02-2010, 15:39
I like the cable as hair idea, also you could try and elongate the helmet upwards like the dark eldar helmets and have the "plume" of cables comeing out of the back in that style.

Crazy_Irish
23-02-2010, 17:28
Its funny, i also thought of the hair ;-) why dont you combine the hair and the trophy rack. let the trophies hang out of the hair.

just so that you know, i did an inccubi helmet instead of the hair.
I like the idea of the blades on the pulsars

goo and do it!

The pestilent 1
23-02-2010, 17:35
You could have a very interesting little project on your hands there. Yes the fluff monkeys will have break down but its probably one of the more realistic Titans they could use given its hit and run fluff.

The Dark Eldar Fluff monkeys are proto primates. They are small vole like animals hiding from the thunder lizards.

I say go nuts, maybe jig it a bit to be more akin to the talos (A titan powered by tortured souls? Win.) or something, but otherwise I'd pretty much kill to just get to play a Dark Eldar player, let alone one in Apoc.

FashaTheDog
23-02-2010, 18:52
The pilot should be converted as well. I like the idea of a taking the Talos guy and putting him there. And Dark Eldar don't scurry. I'd say a Raider full of Warriors (perhaps holding on to jeweler's chain attached to the center and/or deck) weaving closely around the feet of the running titan would be far cooler. It might also be cool to have a few Scourges perched upon the Titan. That might require some fancy converting to get them squatting, dark lances raised or leaping off or landing, but for a project like this it would be worth it. I would avoid going crazy with the spikes and blades as a few well placed ones will look far better than covering every available surface. Just something I notice far too many people do with Dark Eldar and Chaos; cover their minis with all the spikes and blades they can find making the model look a little ridiculous when only a few would make it look menacing.

Idaan
23-02-2010, 19:19
As the Eldar Titans are a relict of the pre-Fall Eldar society, it's quite likely that the original refugees that founded Commorragh stole some from the Eldar homeworlds when they fled the Fall. Just cut off all the spirit stones and adorn it in the way others have suggested.