PDA

View Full Version : To Expedite Deployment

Djekar
23-02-2010, 08:12
One of my biggest problems with playing a game of WHFB is the setup/deployment phase. Let me be clear and say that it is not the act of deploying and the strategy incumbent therein, but rather the physical act of placing models on the board in a timely manner.

I have a friend (and fellow Warseerite) who will be coming into town soon for our monthly "Warhammer Weekend" where we try to squeeze 3-5 3500 point games into 2 days. We don't usually have too much of a problem, but the set up is such a beast - often times it takes us 1.5+ hours to get our units ranked and ready and deployment well under way. I just think that it is taking us far to long, especially when we became aware of the time allowed for tournament games.

Frankly, I take way too long to set up my troops, even if I know before the set up how I am likely to deploy (after looking at terrain and such)!

I was wondering if any of you had any tips/tricks/suggestions for how to speed this process up?

For what it's worth, I play Orcs and Goblins + Warriors of Chaos and he plays Skaven.

Ultimate Life Form
23-02-2010, 08:15
Magnetic Bases. Problem solved.

I can deploy my entire 300 models Skaven army within 2 minutes if I wish.

Dark_Knight
23-02-2010, 08:21
My friend and I did a blind deployment once. We picked terrain a week in advance and table sides and then we drew up a rough sketch of our deployed forces and went off that. There was no adjusting how the units were placed unless a problem with size of units and the space they took up made it impossible to deploy a unit in the predetermined area. Just have a contingency setup for these instances and go for it. It is more realistic anyways. An army never knows what is over the next hill until it gets there.

Dark_Knight
23-02-2010, 08:22
My Skaven opponent was ready before my empire 2500 point list with his magnetic bases. He was down in 5 minutes flat.

TheZombieSquig
23-02-2010, 08:26
A friend of mine takes ages setting up his Empire. It's a problem with carry cases with individual model compartments.

I use magnets (http://www.thezombiesquig.co.uk/magnets.php) on my models and store them on their trays. The magnets hold them to the tray strongly and safely and just a little foam round the edge protects them in a box. Saves tonnes of time.

Dark_Knight
23-02-2010, 08:30
Anyone have an article on how to magnetize your units? I need to know the materials and where the best place to get said materials in the US. I keep getting the wrong stuff. :(

ChaosVC
23-02-2010, 09:04
Yup magnets. Buy magnetic sheets and stuff for your movement trays and mini magnets for your models.

Avian
23-02-2010, 09:24
I have such an article: Making Movement Trays (http://www.avianon.net/modeling/movement_trays.php)

To speed up deployment, maybe looking into the method used in the Apocalypse supplement for 40K would be interesting. That one is time-based, I believe.

Condottiere
23-02-2010, 09:43
That should prove to be a profitable sideline for GW, magnetized bases and trays. Wonder why they never tried to fill that niche?

ChaosVC
23-02-2010, 09:56
That should prove to be a profitable sideline for GW, magnetized bases and trays. Wonder why they never tried to fill that niche?

Key words,

Niche

extra cost

not neccessary

Urgat
23-02-2010, 10:35
I'm making larger bases. It's faster to put down one 20*80 base with four godbs on it, rather than four normal ones :p (especially if it's crappy gobs that can't rank up properly unless they all go in their right place, unique place that cannot be used by any other gob ><).

Dark_Knight
23-02-2010, 11:51
Thanks for the movement tray link.

MasterSparks
23-02-2010, 12:04
Indeed, I might just look into turning most of my models into magnetized ones. Good thing I've got a 'Clas Ohlson' store right around the corner. :D

Djekar
24-02-2010, 00:17
Thanks for the help guys - guess I'll have to look into magnets, although I should have posted this a while ago since Warhammer Weekend is too soon for me to capitalize before then.

Also, I'm beginning to think that Avian has an article for everything:
"Person B: 'I wonder what kind of pizza I'm in the mood for...?'
Person Avian: 'I have an article for that'"

Stegadeth
24-02-2010, 00:59
I like amazingmagnets.com for magnets. The 1/16 diameter discs hold a plastic infantry model with ease. Litko Aerosystems has Flexible steel sheeting in 8.5 x 11" sheets that are adhesive on a single side so you can cut them to size, stick them in your movement tray and your magnets will now stick to it, Hey presto! Easy, cheap, effective.

Rewision
24-02-2010, 01:47
For easy mode GF9 sells magnetic bases and rubber steel sheet that you can stick them to. Glue the sheet to a piece of whatever (wood or the GW movement trays) and you're set.

Lord 0
24-02-2010, 11:44
A cheap easy source of metal for trays is the El Cheapo magnetic games one comes across in those super bargain stores and emporiums dotted about the place. Especially if you get the ones that are metal sheets on plastic bases - the metal is so thin you can cut it with scissors.

hwd
24-02-2010, 15:18
At tournaments, to make my life easier, I have two movement trays for each unit.
When models are killed they simply move to the spare movement tray. That way over a game units are re-formed ready to go for the next game!
Sometimes a bit of effort at the end of a game is needed to move half a unit from one tray to another but it is certainly quicker than sorting through a big pile of stuff.